150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12898 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Octopus

Glens Falls, NY

#11841 Jul 8, 2013
Bub wrote:
<quoted text>I want to know what that song is that goes Lordy Lordy I feel my temperture rise I don't know what the rest of the lyrics are do you? What is the song called by Elvis I heard it on the commercial and thought it would be a good song to learn.
As far as I'm concerned, they can have "Burning Love"

Elvis did not really like the the song but was talked into recording it. It was kept from going number one by Chuck Berry's only number one single, "My Ding A Ling" in 1972. Maybe you could learn "My Ding A Ling" instead since it is so great.
Bub

Renton, WA

#11842 Jul 8, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as I'm concerned, they can have "Burning Love"
Elvis did not really like the the song but was talked into recording it. It was kept from going number one by Chuck Berry's only number one single, "My Ding A Ling" in 1972. Maybe you could learn "My Ding A Ling" instead since it is so great.
I already know how to play my ding a ling. Most of Chuck Berry songs are only 3 chords. I like Burning Love and Heartbreak Hotel.
Octopus

Glens Falls, NY

#11843 Jul 8, 2013
Bub wrote:
<quoted text>I already know how to play my ding a ling. Most of Chuck Berry songs are only 3 chords. I like Burning Love and Heartbreak Hotel.
It's kind of sad that "My Ding A Ling" is Chuck Berry's only #1 single. The kids in 1972 were corny. It was the worst song Chuck ever issued. I like the rest of Chuck Berry's songs though. "Sweet Little Rock N Roller" and the blazing, "I Want To Be Your Driver" Also the bluesy, "Confessin' The Blues" and "Down The Road Apiece" Actually, who says a number one song means that is it good? I do not always go by that. I have an excellent example on CD of Chuck Berry playing blues at the Fillmore in 1968 with Steve Miller. The hippie crowd was strangely quiet. I guess they were waiting for It's A Beautiful Day, The Flock, The Grateful Dead or some other worthless hippie band. Those people have no shame.
Bub

Renton, WA

#11844 Jul 8, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
It's kind of sad that "My Ding A Ling" is Chuck Berry's only #1 single. The kids in 1972 were corny. It was the worst song Chuck ever issued. I like the rest of Chuck Berry's songs though. "Sweet Little Rock N Roller" and the blazing, "I Want To Be Your Driver" Also the bluesy, "Confessin' The Blues" and "Down The Road Apiece" Actually, who says a number one song means that is it good? I do not always go by that. I have an excellent example on CD of Chuck Berry playing blues at the Fillmore in 1968 with Steve Miller. The hippie crowd was strangely quiet. I guess they were waiting for It's A Beautiful Day, The Flock, The Grateful Dead or some other worthless hippie band. Those people have no shame.
I'd prefer Steve Miller over Greatful Dead. I have seen Chuck Berry in Seattle in the 80's. He was ok but I agree I like his stuff that wasn't played a lot.I though Johnny B Goode hit number one for him but I never followed his career very close.I like You can never tell and No particular place to go better than Sweet Little Sixteen. Yeah songs that make it to number one aren't always the best.Country redneck Toby Kieth is the highest grossing entertainer out now I was shocked to read that. He makes more than Beyonce or Jay Lo.
Octopus

Glens Falls, NY

#11845 Jul 8, 2013
Bub wrote:
<quoted text>I'd prefer Steve Miller over Greatful Dead. I have seen Chuck Berry in Seattle in the 80's. He was ok but I agree I like his stuff that wasn't played a lot.I though Johnny B Goode hit number one for him but I never followed his career very close.I like You can never tell and No particular place to go better than Sweet Little Sixteen. Yeah songs that make it to number one aren't always the best.Country redneck Toby Kieth is the highest grossing entertainer out now I was shocked to read that. He makes more than Beyonce or Jay Lo.
Believe it or not, "Johnny B Goode" only made it as high as number eight on billboard pop charts in 1958. It was never a number one song. I picked up the bluesy Fillmore CD years also in the bargain bins and it is a great live performance. Chuck and Steve Miller stayed away from the hits and just did the blues. But the audience was still uninterested. It floored me. I just couldn't believe it. They got a very cold reception from the foolish crowd at the Fillmore. It kind of pissed me off a little bit.
Bub

Renton, WA

#11846 Jul 8, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe it or not, "Johnny B Goode" only made it as high as number eight on billboard pop charts in 1958. It was never a number one song. I picked up the bluesy Fillmore CD years also in the bargain bins and it is a great live performance. Chuck and Steve Miller stayed away from the hits and just did the blues. But the audience was still uninterested. It floored me. I just couldn't believe it. They got a very cold reception from the foolish crowd at the Fillmore. It kind of pissed me off a little bit.
Back then Octo the blues wasn't happening. The hippies liked bands that did long jams like Cream-Greatful Dead-The Allman Brothers were good at the Fillmore. I bet Chuck sounded good with Steve Miller. Steve Miller plays the blues better than most people give him credit for.I never did like that daffy My Ding A ling song. I have heard Chuck Berry play balads and he sounded better to me. his rock and roll stuff is all pretty much the same just done in different keys.
Octopus

Glens Falls, NY

#11847 Jul 8, 2013
Bub wrote:
<quoted text>Back then Octo the blues wasn't happening. The hippies liked bands that did long jams like Cream-Greatful Dead-The Allman Brothers were good at the Fillmore. I bet Chuck sounded good with Steve Miller. Steve Miller plays the blues better than most people give him credit for.I never did like that daffy My Ding A ling song. I have heard Chuck Berry play balads and he sounded better to me. his rock and roll stuff is all pretty much the same just done in different keys.
Though it is probably true to some degree, the blues were a large part of what The Rolling Stones, The Yardbirds, Jeff Beck and others were doing. In fact, Led Zeppelin's first two albums were bluesy as well as The Doors on most of their live shows. I just think the audience at the Fillmore Auditorium when Steve Miller jammed with Chuck Berry must've been on too much acid because the performance was incredible. I could never understand the appeal of The Grateful Dead. My brother in law's brother digs them but I certainly do not get why people think they were all that great. Jerry Garcia's voice croaked along with mindless jamming just never interested me. I found them boring as hell. I would have loved to have been at The Fillmore and seen Chuck Berry. He was probably the opening act like Sha Na Na or something. The audience was totally clueless. Oh, well...
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#11849 Jul 9, 2013
I agree with you 100 percent on Elvis being ripped off by the RIAA,Octopus Brain,it's just so wrong and unfair for these people to be doing this to Elvis,and where is Priscilla or Lisa Marie,they're not sticking up for Elvis at all on what the RIAA,IFIP,or what Billboard magazine is doing to Elvis,not one tiny bit,it's very sad to me,peace out.
Elmer Jackson

Seattle, WA

#11851 Jul 9, 2013
RICK wrote:
I agree with you 100 percent on Elvis being ripped off by the RIAA,Octopus Brain,it's just so wrong and unfair for these people to be doing this to Elvis,and where is Priscilla or Lisa Marie,they're not sticking up for Elvis at all on what the RIAA,IFIP,or what Billboard magazine is doing to Elvis,not one tiny bit,it's very sad to me,peace out.
Yep It ain't nothing but a dadburn shame what RIAA has done to poor old Elvis.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#11853 Jul 10, 2013
What irks Elvis fans like myself is that the totality of the record sales have never been factually tabulated and certified. Case in point: in the four months after his death,an estimated 200 million Elvis records were sold worldwide (80 million albums in the United States alone). Numerous press clippings and press releases ascertained this fact. Moreover from August of 1977 to the latter part of November 1978, it is factually accounted that Elvis sold somewhere around 300 million records in all formats, yet the Recording Industry Association of America has never acknowledge or tabulated through proper certifications these independent audited record sales figures. RCA (Presley's record label) which
headquarters were based in Indianapolis was shipping 20 million Presley units a week worldwide. Furthermore and in the aftermath of his death and beyond, RCA was using the pressing plants from other recording labels just to keep up with public demand for Elvis Presley records. Finally to add insult to injury, there are still over 85 albums in the United States alone that have not received sales certification by the Recording Industry Association of America. These erroneous omissions and unaccounted certifications are a miscarriage of justice by the RIAA. There can be no doubt that Elvis Aron Presley is the greatest recording act in the history of popular music. Bar none.
Elmer Jackson

Bothell, WA

#11854 Jul 10, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
What irks Elvis fans like myself is that the totality of the record sales have never been factually tabulated and certified. Case in point: in the four months after his death,an estimated 200 million Elvis records were sold worldwide (80 million albums in the United States alone). Numerous press clippings and press releases ascertained this fact. Moreover from August of 1977 to the latter part of November 1978, it is factually accounted that Elvis sold somewhere around 300 million records in all formats, yet the Recording Industry Association of America has never acknowledge or tabulated through proper certifications these independent audited record sales figures. RCA (Presley's record label) which
headquarters were based in Indianapolis was shipping 20 million Presley units a week worldwide. Furthermore and in the aftermath of his death and beyond, RCA was using the pressing plants from other recording labels just to keep up with public demand for Elvis Presley records. Finally to add insult to injury, there are still over 85 albums in the United States alone that have not received sales certification by the Recording Industry Association of America. These erroneous omissions and unaccounted certifications are a miscarriage of justice by the RIAA. There can be no doubt that Elvis Aron Presley is the greatest recording act in the history of popular music. Bar none.
Yep it's a dadburn shame that he wasn't given credit for selling those millions and millions of records but RIAA sold so many they lost count.I'm telling you man it's a miscarriage of jutice and liberty dog gone it.Now where's the nearest bar?
Elmer Jackson

Bothell, WA

#11855 Jul 10, 2013
Justice oops
Elmer Jackson

Renton, WA

#11857 Jul 10, 2013
After Elvis died I sold 200 copies of my Elmer favorite drinking songs CD. RIAA never gave me any credit and refused to include me in their sales reports Dang it.
Octopus

Glens Falls, NY

#11858 Jul 10, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
I'm not sure what Elvis sold after his death. But I do know that I was unable to find an Elvis record anywhere. Fast forward to September, 1977. My mom went to the market and there was a huge display of Elvis's Camden budget albums in front of the store that morning and I grabbed "Let's Be Friends" and "Almost In Love" By the time my mom was finished shopping, the whole display was empty. I was only eleven years old at the time and have never seen anything remotely like it since. Elvis had to have sold something. They happen to be older albums so they were not counted on billboard. I don't think you are off the mark. I believe it.
Elmer Jackson

Renton, WA

#11859 Jul 10, 2013
yep that dang Elvis outsold them all. Boy I wished he would of sang a duet with me so I could of sold more records.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#11860 Jul 10, 2013
Gentlemen: Countless RCA executives including but not limited to, Former RCA Vice President Joan Deary and President Rocco Laginestra all released numerous press clippings in connection to the astronomical amount of Presley records sold in the wake and aftermath of his death. Moreover independent and respectable magazines such as Billboard, Cashbox, Variety and Goldmine also ascertained these record sales figures I have just mentioned. Furthermore these record sales figures were the reason that Colonel Parker was removed as principal business executor and business manager for Presley's estate by an attorney named Blanchard Tual who was appointed by the court to act in the best interest of Lisa Marie(Presleys daughter). It seemed Colonel Parker never wanted RCA to disclose these figures due to the fact that he was unjustly enriching himself through the sales of Presley Products,including the issue at hand which is Elvis
Presley record Sales. Finally this led to the Washington Post story of 1982 which stated that Elvis Presley had become the only artist to have sold one billion records. This is the same newspaper that was responsible for for issuing the story about the Watergate break-in which led Richard Nixon's ouster. I have a collection of over 80 Elvis books including two Elvis Presley encyclopedias. They all document the exact numbers which i have divulged to you.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#11861 Jul 10, 2013
To King ELVIS : You said 30 million? That figure is preposterous. All of us who were old enough remember RCA could not keep up with the demand for Presley records. To reiterate, Presley's last album Moody Blue sold 20 million copies worldwide in the aftermath of his death. Furthermore RCA was using the Pressing plants of other record labels who were working nonstop in order to fill orders for Presley records. This was an unprecedented record sales phenomena which has never been duplicated again. There can be no question that Elvis Presley is the greatest record seller of all time.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#11862 Jul 10, 2013
This is why the Recording Industry Association of America has become the laughingstock of record sales tabulation. Former RIAA President Hillary Rosen also concluded that the RIAA best selling list is in connection to the shipping of available data, concerning certified units of artists as pertaining to their respective sales of albums and singles. They do not reflect the totality of the physical sales of units. Therefore this best selling list cannot be taken seriously. This list leaves a lot to be desired as far as the factual accuracy pertaining to Elvis Presley record sales,
Elmer Jackson

Bothell, WA

#11863 Jul 10, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
To King ELVIS : You said 30 million? That figure is preposterous. All of us who were old enough remember RCA could not keep up with the demand for Presley records. To reiterate, Presley's last album Moody Blue sold 20 million copies worldwide in the aftermath of his death. Furthermore RCA was using the Pressing plants of other record labels who were working nonstop in order to fill orders for Presley records. This was an unprecedented record sales phenomena which has never been duplicated again. There can be no question that Elvis Presley is the greatest record seller of all time.
Boy howdy that old Elvis sure did sell a lot of records. Colonel Parker needed to be removed after his greed and ungratefulness. I'd never let a carnival Colonel manage me no way.I'm Elmer self managed singing hobo.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#11864 Jul 10, 2013
Finally all Elvis fans can conclude without the slightest doubt or reservation, with the gathering of all factual documents in correlation to Presley's all time record sales that Elvis is the best selling artist in the history of recorded music. Moreover only a minuet fraction of his record sales have been accounted for by the Recording Industry Association of America. If this organization should one day correct this unequivocal error in Presley's record sales tabulation, then they will finally receive the recognition and legitimacy that any formal trade organization should aspire to have.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Black Entertainment Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Capital City Black Film Festival Grows by Leaps... 12 hr Andrew 1
News If Prince Was A Homophobe, What Does That Make ... 21 hr Fa-Foxy 5
100 FACTS black people don't want White people... (Apr '08) Wed Hebrew man 91
News Celebrities Who Snagged Billionaires: Miranda K... Wed K-DJ 60
News Did Mariah Really Go Crazy After Fiance Played ... Wed Rb RECORDS 1
News the Best Rapper Ever: Eminem vs. 2Pac (Aug '09) Wed Ananyo Seerat 242
Tamar Braxton, stay or leave ? Is Vincent Herbe... Aug 23 Ericka Courtney 1
More from around the web