Sawyerloggingon

United States

#1 Sep 22, 2018
I got kicked out of another black forum (Destee) for asking this question so I'll try it here.
I was listening to a progressive radio station the other day and it was a black lady hosting what was apparently a mostly black talk show. This lady was enraged by the Sarina caricature saying it was reminiscent of the old Sambo cartoons. My first thought was well yeah that's what a caricature is, you take features the person has and amplify them. My question is, is it now strictly forbidden to have any celebrity blacks depicted in caricature because it reminds blacks of Sambo or even Coon images from years gone by?
Tamales wandering soul

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Sep 22, 2018
Sawyerloggingon wrote:
My question is, is it now strictly forbidden to have any celebrity blacks depicted in caricature because it reminds blacks of Sambo or even Coon images from years gone by?
Yes.
Hadar Judah

Pomona, CA

#3 Sep 22, 2018
Sawyerloggingon wrote:
I got kicked out of another black forum (Destee) for asking this question so I'll try it here.
I was listening to a progressive radio station the other day and it was a black lady hosting what was apparently a mostly black talk show. This lady was enraged by the Sarina caricature saying it was reminiscent of the old Sambo cartoons. My first thought was well yeah that's what a caricature is, you take features the person has and amplify them. My question is, is it now strictly forbidden to have any celebrity blacks depicted in caricature because it reminds blacks of Sambo or even Coon images from years gone by?
In the cartoon drawn of serena, serena was the only person drawn with exaggerated features. Nobody else in the sketch was drawn with exaggerated features.

https://www.google.com/search... :
White

Valrico, FL

#4 Oct 4, 2018
Hadar Judah wrote:
<quoted text>

In the cartoon drawn of serena, serena was the only person drawn with exaggerated features. Nobody else in the sketch was drawn with exaggerated features.

https://www.google.com/search... :
Maybe because Serena was the focus of the cartoon and let's be honest she does have some robust features. I don't see what her being black has to do with it at all. Can a black person never be depicted as ugly?
Lauren

United States

#6 Oct 4, 2018
Many white famous or infamous people, celebrities, political figures including presidents of the United States have been depicted in caricatures. Breasts, noses, mouths, ears, hands, stomachs, rear ends, have all been exaggerated to a lesser or greater degree. Blacks likely find caricatures of famous blacks as much more insulting and humiliating given past history of how they were portrayed. I can understand how they feel. I used to work in an advertising agency years ago. The copy artist was very good and got along well with everyone in the agency. We used to chat and joke sometimes. He made a caricature of almost everyone at the agency and said that he would be honored if he could do a caricature of me also. I declined because he was always saying that i reminded him of either Elly Mae Clampett from The Beverly Hillbillies, and Dolly Parton. My boobs weren't even close to being as big as Dolly's. I kept thinking he'd draw me that way though. I heard he passed away from cancer a few years ago. I sometimes wish I had let him draw me, no matter how silly the drawing would have been. I feel kind of foolish for being so sensitive at the time. He was given quite an accolade in our local paper. He was well known throughout the area as a talented artist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Current News and Concerns for Black People Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Symbiote Oct 22 Trple9Trple9Trple9 1
I see my thread is gone (Apr '18) Aug '18 WHY NOT 12
Promoting birth control and safe sex in the blk... (Apr '18) Aug '18 SIMPLY THE TRUTH 25
Why are white people so determined to name blac... (Mar '18) Jul '18 Firey Fellow44 11
Stealing Credit (Mar '18) Jul '18 Firey Fellow 44 43
White People Experts On Black People? (May '16) Jul '18 Firey Fellow 44 44
Should White Professors Be Allowed To Teach Bla... (Mar '18) Jul '18 Firey Fellow 44 11