Are Puerto Ricans white?

Created by bOBO on Nov 30, 2007

6,010 votes

Click on an option to vote

yes

no

elena

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#5180 Dec 18, 2010
well to clear some things here
i am puerto rican
and in my country there's a mix of EVERYTHING, literally
not just European/African/Natives
after europeans there was a large ammount of Italians and Argentinians that came and stayed in the South , so youll see a lot of "white" puerto ricans with last names like Santori, Santini, Carmenatti, Franceschini etc
then the portuguese came, and people from all around the world
its amazing how many asians there are!!
Loiza (a district of PR) is mostly black because the african slaves that stayed in Loiza's shores

my grandma is black from Loiza and my grandpa is really mixed from black and white
my mother came blackerr that my grandmother with straight hair
my dad is "jabao" which means white with a nappy head
my sister came out white , with soft curled hair
i on the other hand am golden skinned with really bad curly hair x)

Theres a very large variety of ethnicities in puerto rico and i love it
feparo

Atlanta, GA

#5181 Dec 19, 2010
mixedgirl wrote:
vERY FEW ARE PURE BLACK, THE MAJORITY ARE WHITE AND MESTIZO AND THEN THERE ARE MULATTOS AND LASTLY BLACKS. ALSO YOU GET SOME WHO ARE MIXED BETWEEN ALL RACES.
I do agree with you. At the begining of colonization the spaniards either married india woman, have then as comcubine or just raped them. Thats the true. There was very little mix with the black slaves, they were practically prohibed to touch a white or mestizo woman. As more spaniards came to PR they mixed with the mestizo woman, so the indian blood got diluted to some extend. There were several thousand pure indian that hide in the montains for centuries and up to 1765 there were more than two thousand pure indians. Also, since PR was the last spainish colony most of the white rich white people from latin america and the caribean refuged in PR as their country got their independence. Thast is white PR is about 80% white.
MRPUERTORIKAANS

West Springfield, MA

#5182 Dec 27, 2010
theres 5 million black puerto ricans worldwide and theres 1 million on the island..so yes puerto rico is a black country..most of the people you see walking in photos of puerto rico are tourists because yes puerto rico is a beautiful island...but theres all types of puerto ricans..theres puerto ricans with hazel or blue eyes and black or dark tan skin tones from carib and african ancestry..but puerto rico is mostly taino..and of course tainos are indiginous mulattos they descend from the arawak caribs..puerto rico is 61% taino 26.5% black and 12% european...a real puerto rican is black and taino..like most of my family..
Balmoral-Medina

Stoughton, WI

#5183 Dec 27, 2010
Dear Mr. "Porto Rican" expert, I don't know what you do in Brattleboro, Vermont, the apparent home of ignorant "Porto Rican" scholars. I can only hope you are not teaching a course on "Porto Rican Stupidity". Idiots like you are very typical in the NYC metro area, where I am sure you learned your ignorant, misinformed and totally stupid "Porto Rican" facts. Surely you didn't go to Vermont to learn anything of value or accuracy about Puerto Rico, its culture or its people---that's very apparent in the level of stupidity you have uttered below.

As someone who lives here and in the States and whose ENTIRE family also lives here, let me tell you a couple of facts:
1. There ARE NOT 1 Million Black Puerto Ricans ANYWHWERE in the world, unless you are cloning them from your own toilet droppings, in the trailer you live in.

2. The majority of people in Puerto Rico are descendants of mid-to-late 19th CENTURY European immigrants to the Island...NOT from "indigenous mulattos". The only "indigenous" people on the island AS IN THE REST OF THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE were native peoples who in the case of Puerto Rico were Tainos, NOT "indigenous mulattos". And as a WHITE Puerto Rican, NO, I am not a tourist in my own home and neither are my relatives. What a jackass you are.

3. Tainos were WIPED out as a cultural entity within 50 years of European arrival. There are some Puerto Ricans who are part "Taino"in their ancestry, but they are a very small MINORITY!!!, despite what a genius like you might have learned in a Vermont truck stop. They are NOT the majority!

Now go chase that toothless, fat blonde Vermont girlfriend as I can see that you are not too interested in chasing tainos in the housing projects of the Bronx.

You are a MAJOR loser.

Coje verguenza pendejo y aprende algo de nuestra cultura y no pendejaces de "taino mulattos" y estupideces de chupacabras o de lost tatoos en el culo de J-Lo.

Eres el bochorno mas grande que he visto en este website.
Que sinverguenza y sumamente el bruto mas grande.
P'al carajo cafre sin principio.

~~~~~~~~~~
MRPUERTORIKAANS wrote:
theres 5 million black puerto ricans worldwide and theres 1 million on the island..so yes puerto rico is a black country..most of the people you see walking in photos of puerto rico are tourists because yes puerto rico is a beautiful island...but theres all types of puerto ricans..theres puerto ricans with hazel or blue eyes and black or dark tan skin tones from carib and african ancestry..but puerto rico is mostly taino..and of course tainos are indiginous mulattos they descend from the arawak caribs..puerto rico is 61% taino 26.5% black and 12% european...a real puerto rican is black and taino..like most of my family..
Maverick

United States

#5184 Dec 27, 2010
Balmoral, I already know many Puerto Ricans are descendants of Europeans.

I've vacationed there in PR with my wife a few times and saw it with my own eyes.
Anonymous

Dallas, TX

#5186 Dec 27, 2010
Nobody cares about your denial of africans in puerto rico but your disrespect of blackness makes me wonder what did they do to make you the racist you are. Arturo Schomburg a black puerto rican is one of the fathers of african centered history. Do you deny him? Do you deny Tego Calderon and his embracing of africa? If you are not african in any way how do you explain santreria? How do you explain your use of the drum? How do you explain your diet that resembles west africa like pasteles for example and plantain.
Balmoral-Medina

Stoughton, WI

#5187 Dec 28, 2010
Dear "mummy"...question.. .how do YOU explain a MULATTO president in the White House of the USA, a predominantly Euro-American country?

As a result, is everyone in the USA a Mandingo?
Does everyone who eats collard greens a Zulu?
Does everyone who eats tomatoes an Aztec?
Are the Irish, who cook potatoes in their diet, Mayan Indians too?
If I enjoy popcorn, am I an Apache?
Voodoo is popular among blacks in Louisiana, does that make everyone in New Orleans, a Zombie?

Get over your cheap and ignorant afro-centric stupidity.
It only makes you look more stupid than your 3rd rate education has already made you.

Trace cultural elements of cultures that were introduced by divergent peoples LONG AGO does NOT make everyone in a particular geographic area anything other than an aware person who may or may not participate or enjoy ANY of those aspects of the overall culture. Not all Blacks eat chitlins. Are they "toms" in your eyes?

And of course you call me a "racist".
You have NOTHING else to prop your ignorance up on.

Go back to watching Oprah.
And you might want question who "African" the name "Shomburg" is and how he got it.

And what would you expect Tegro Calderon to embrace, Eskimo culture?

Being aware and knowledgeable about "race" is not a crime ANYWHERE in the world EXCEPT in the USA, where CENTURIES of yet unresolved racial conflict is resolved by DENYING any intelligent conversation about it. THIS IS WHY nothing changes on the race front in the States...everyone is already in on the "fix"...it goes like this...

"Whites are forbidden from saying anything about race or they are accused of "racism", while all other groups can say ANYTHING and they are applauded for being "in touch" with their roots."

Some of us however will not be silenced by YOUR ignorance or the cowardice of other whites to NOT be present in any "race" dialogue.

~~~~~~~~~~
Muminfreedomfighta wrote:
Nobody cares about your denial of africans in puerto rico but your disrespect of blackness makes me wonder what did they do to make you the racist you are. Arturo Schomburg a black puerto rican is one of the fathers of african centered history. Do you deny him? Do you deny Tego Calderon and his embracing of africa? If you are not african in any way how do you explain santreria? How do you explain your use of the drum? How do you explain your diet that resembles west africa like pasteles for example and plantain.
Anonymous

Dallas, TX

#5188 Dec 29, 2010
So you are the jackass i thought you were . A man with running to the same whites that hate him by trying to out racist the whiteman. You are a joke and i know too many puerto ricans to think that your clown ass represents the majority of sane thinking people. Dont you feel ashamed of yourself not knowing the history or culture of your own island Gilligan. You are sorry excuse of man clinging to hope that the larger white world will accept you. You are also an ass for suggesting that your smart because you speak more than one language. Thats some of the biggest nonsense ever posted because if tjat was true translators at the u.n. would be the leaders of our society, jackass. Your historical grasp of your own island is weak at best so stop trying to come across as an intellectual to the people who dont know. You cant be serious. I have lived in nyc my whole life and had the pleasure of meeting many young lords and puerto rican historians who would find your attempts at scholarship laughable.
Anonymous

Dallas, TX

#5189 Dec 29, 2010
Felipe Luciano teaches contrary to many of your assertions. While i dont deny that europe has played a major part of puerto rican culture and dna im npt gonna let you deny africa like it had no part in the makeup of who puerto ricans are thats offensive. If puerto ricans claim whiteness thats fine but dont make it seem like everybody else in thier culture is irrelevant. As for calling you a racist, ill stop using the race card when you stop being a racist. As you say i will continue to call a spade a spade. You can mock the work of Dr. Marta Morena Vega but i trust her scholarship more than your ranting. Now that im done you may go back to your cross burning.
MISTAH PUERTO RIKAANS

West Springfield, MA

#5193 Jan 5, 2011
JebusNotJesus wrote:
Hi, I'm Spanish and I can answer this for you.
Puerto Ricans are partly White and part Native American.
There is some Black blood, but the majority are White and Native American.
The men usually look like tanned White people. Benicio Del Toro and Ricky Martin are both Puerto Rican.
Puerto Ricans consider themselves Mestizo, which is a mix between White and Native American.
Puerto Ricans ar the most exotic looking people you can be around with..theirs the blue eyed dark skinned their the bloned haired guatusis (means: tall black man) with dark skin theirs the black asians that have bloned hair or some with just afro hair and theirs the ones that are just black...Puerto Rico is 26.5% black (Igbo,Wolof,Mandingo,Akan,Mend e,Lucumi,Bakongo) and 12% spaniard and theirs another 12% of white immigrants and 61% Native American (Taino,Carib)
Balmoral-Medina

Stoughton, WI

#5194 Jan 11, 2011
dear misstah...how sad it must be to be as stupid as you...please don't write about Puerto Ricans. it is apparent that you are not too educated, not too smart and not at all "portoreekan"...what a joke you are...typical internet loser

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#5195 Jan 13, 2011
Balmoral-Medina wrote:
dear misstah...how sad it must be to be as stupid as you...please don't write about Puerto Ricans. it is apparent that you are not too educated, not too smart and not at all "portoreekan"...what a joke you are...typical internet loser
Sorry your the stupid 1 Misstah is right white is the smallest part of Puerto Ricans so spend more time looking things up and less posting crap..........You must be the part of us that thinks you white. Wish you could hear what they call you when your not around sell out.......
tcutie

Elmont, NY

#5196 Jan 13, 2011
I'm a black girl and i'm dating a puerto rican guy and sometimes he makes me feel bad because he says that certain things and people are ghetto, and that he dresses nice because he is in touch with his white side and he wants to be able to to get a job. Like WTF! When he says that crazy shit I get really turned off and don't want to be around someone who thinks ignorant, but then he does something sweet and thats my boo so i forgive but i won't forget it that crazy shit.
Balmoral-Medina

Fort Atkinson, WI

#5197 Jan 14, 2011
dear "dave" don't you get tired of having so many different internet names...you are the typical afro-centric internet loser...don't flatter yourself thinking you are anything else...and the next time I am back home in Puerto Rico, I will tell all my friends they are not white because an idiot named "dave" in the internet said so...go pull your pants up and loosen that headrage and then wipe your ass/mouth with it.
~~~~~~~~~~
dave2000g wrote:
<quoted text> Sorry your the stupid 1 Misstah is right white is the smallest part of Puerto Ricans so spend more time looking things up and less posting crap..........You must be the part of us that thinks you white. Wish you could hear what they call you when your not around sell out.......

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#5198 Jan 15, 2011
Balmoral-Medina wrote:
dear "dave" don't you get tired of having so many different internet names...you are the typical afro-centric internet loser...don't flatter yourself thinking you are anything else...and the next time I am back home in Puerto Rico, I will tell all my friends they are not white because an idiot named "dave" in the internet said so...go pull your pants up and loosen that headrage and then wipe your ass/mouth with it.
~~~~~~~~~~
<quoted text>
1 internet name. And thats the white wash im talking about. The DNA does'nt lie but if you want to be white thats cool. Thats why I said SELLOUT.No rage at all just putting the spot light on the bullshit. And if you looked at my other post there is about 10-12% white in PR. But most of us aint white. But no shortage of want-2-Bees.
Bob

Brooklyn, NY

#5199 Jan 17, 2011
EcuasionZ wrote:
I think half are white and half are black.But they speak spanish.
You are clueless! Go by the facts. Puerto Ricans are a nationality even though it is not a Nation. 80% of Puerto Rican on the Island are Caucasians(White). 65% Cubans are White. The rest of the Islands, like Dominican Republic, Barabdos, Jamica Etc. are all Black republics except Puerto Rico & Cuba. The white's are of European decedants. Sorry we are NOT native ameericans! Plus, the word Hispanic does not mean RACE. It only means that you speak Spanish but come from various countries and could be either from the black race, White race or Asias like Chinesse or the Indian Mexicans that cross the USA Borders. People like the well educated Shawn Hennsey, Lou Dobbs, Rush, Lavine the great one are either bigots or ignorant of the facts and need to be educated in how they use their rhetorics because they continually teach the public wrong information. I would love to Challenge anyone of these people. Don't forget that public Telvision and Radio does not want to see Puerto Rican who are White because it may push us forward polictially .... Bob Cruz
Bob

Brooklyn, NY

#5200 Jan 17, 2011
JebusNotJesus wrote:
Hi, I'm Spanish and I can answer this for you.
Puerto Ricans are partly White and part Native American.
There is some Black blood, but the majority are White and Native American.
The men usually look like tanned White people. Benicio Del Toro and Ricky Martin are both Puerto Rican.
Puerto Ricans consider themselves Mestizo, which is a mix between White and Native American.

It is ignorant people that would say this who talks without the facts and who do not want to see that Puerto Ricans as White. It is part of Your OWN Bigotry. 79% of Puerto Ricans are white! and of European decent. Sorry buddy, but Benicio, Ricky Martin, Filicano are All White Guys.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#5201 Jan 17, 2011
OK 1 MORE TIME HERE IS A REPORT FROM U.of P.R. This is not my words but a report. Deal with it.

History is written by the conquerors. The Native peoples of North America know this all too well, as they are still trying to bring the truth to light. Now, their long-lost Caribbean cousins are beginning the same process.

Itís an uphill battle.

Most Puerto Ricans know, or think they know, their ethnic and racial history: a blending of Taino (Indian), Spanish and African. Students of the islandsí past have read the same account for over 300 years; that the Native people, and their societies, were killed off by the Spanish invaders by the 1600s. It was always noted though, how many of the original colonists married Taino women or had Taino concubines, producing the original mestizaje (mixture) that, when blended with African, would produce Puerto Ricans.

Those first unions, according to the conventional wisdom, explain why some Puerto Ricans have "a little bit" of Native heritage. Mainly we are Spanish, we are told, with a little African blood and far-away Taino ancestry.

But the order of that sequence will have to change.

Dr. Juan Martinez Cruzado, a geneticist from the University of Puerto Rico Mayaguez who designed an island-wide DNA survey, has just released the final numbers and analysis of the project, and these results tell a different story.

According to the study funded by the U.S. National Science Foundation, 61 percent of all Puerto Ricans have Amerindian mitochondrial DNA, 27 percent have African and 12 percent Caucasian.(Nuclear DNA, or the genetic material present in a geneís nucleus, is inherited in equal parts from oneís father and mother. Mitochondrial DNA is inherited only from oneís mother and does not change or blend with other materials over time.)

In other words a majority of Puerto Ricans have Native blood.

"Our study showed there was assimilation," Martinez Cruzado explained, "but the people were not extinguished. Their political and social structure was but the genes were not.

"The people were assimilated into a new colonial order and became mixed Ö but thatís what Puerto Ricans are: Indians mixed with Africans and Spaniards," he asserted.
Balmoral-Medina

Fort Atkinson, WI

#5202 Jan 17, 2011
dear dave 2 cents,

You are the typical afro-centric, faux-nativist, taino-at-all-costs acomplejado. To YOU, everybody is a taino or mandingo with a splash of Taco Bell salsa.

I bet you are even one of those clowns in the filthy "Porto Rican" Day Parade" every year on 5th Avenue in NYC. Yeah, I bet you are one of those FAKE Tainos in Apache warpaint bought from the costume store at K-Mart, wearing a FAKE "made-in-Korea", "authentic" POLYESTER loin cloth.

Yeah, I bet you are one of those FAKES doing Hopi raindances and claiming it is an "authentic" Taino dance routine. Taino Tap-Dancing would be more believable.

ONE "MINOR" PROBLEM, the Tainos were NAKED and they NEVER danced for rain because they saw it EVERYDAY on the island.

Nothing is going to convince you that Puerto Rico is MAJORITY WHITE of mid-to-late EIGHTEENTH century European immigration, which was a a DIRECT result of the "Cedula de Gracias" immigration policy which allowed ONLY CATHOLIC European immigrants to settle on the Island.

THAT, is when the MAJORITY of current-day "Puerto Ricans" CAME TO THE ISLAND, NOT in the 1400s or early 1500s when there actually WERE scattered Taino settlements remaining. AND by the 1850s the VAST majority of Tainos WERE GONE!!! They died of European diseases (common cold, measles, chicken pox, mumps, syphilis) These Europeans found NO Taino empire and NO Taino temples of gold and NO Taino cities of millions!

All of this is documented in historical archives BOTH on the Island and in Seville Spain.

But then of course YOU know better because a 3rd rate "scientist" with a racist agenda decided to "prove" all Puerto Ricans are Taino.

Here are a couple of INCONVENIENT "Taino" facts:

1. This ignorant junk science "study" took DNA samples from 78 women who "looked" Taino and "by accident" they were also RELATED (sisters, mother/daughter, cousins). This is NOT a "random" sample which would support a population-wide rationale or justification for his specious "findings".

2. This NON-SCIENTIFIC crap study is a joke among scientific circles because 78 HAND-SELECTED samples represent LESS THAN .001% of the cumulative population of 8 MILLION "Puerto-Rican" SELF-dentified Americans AROUND THE WORLD. I REPEAT...LESS THAN .001%. Your chances of being struck by lightning while dancing the limbo on a public housing project IN DUH Bronx are better odds!

3. NO ONE knows what "Taino" DNA looks like.

4. IT IS STATISTICALLY impossible for the majority of people of "Puerto Rican" cultural self-identification to be "Taino".

5. Europeans regarded the native peoples as less than human, hardly the kind of perspective that would have encouraged "relationships". YES, rape occurred but NOT to the degree that is painted by the "mezcla" idiots.

Now, I invite you to go to La Fortaleza (Governor's Residence) and tell this "DISPARATE" to the governor who will be VERY happy to remind you that in 500 YEARS all the governors of the Island have been EUROPEAN-DESCENDED and many of them EUROPEAN-BORN (Spain, Mallorca, Corsica, England, Ireland, Canary Islands, France). NOT ONE was a Taino, no matter how many sell-out Nuyoricans FAKE "Tainos" claim otherwise.

Suggestion: Read the works of Adela Cifre de Loubriel who is the NUMBER 1 scholar in European Immigration to the Island. She spent over 50 years of her life in this research both ON the Island, in her Ivy League University AND in Spanish Archives in Sevilla. And she did this WITHOUT the "help" of FAKE Tainos jumping through hoops of fire with peacock feathers sticking out of their asses. Oh and BTW, there were NO Peacocks in Puerto Rico either! IDIOT!
Balmoral-Medina

Fort Atkinson, WI

#5203 Jan 17, 2011
Bob, glad to see you responding here. Sadly, not too many white Puerto Ricans come to an "African-American" forum, so you won't see too many of us responding here.

But the funny part is that NONE of these internet afro-centrics or cyber-tainos would dare to talk this shit to REAL Puerto Ricans on the Island because THEY KNOW we will kick their nasty, knuckle-dragging, pants-below-their-asses sorry selves back on into their cheap airline seats.

They are a joke on the Island. We see them all the time. They come to the Island expecting a Spanish-speaking Jamaica or Zambia and get REAL ANGRY when they find most of us are whites and NONE of us are walking on hot coals in loin cloths or wrestling sharks for their entertainment. We don't tolerate their ignorant "diversity" bullshit politics and have no qualms about letting them know they are NOT welcome to return EVER. Let them take their nasty asses to black islands where they can feel superior over their impoverished brothers trying to make a living by selling them weed or whores.

Sadly, THEIR impression of Puerto Rico is molded by the ignorant, racist and totally inaccurate American media depictions of us as brown, drugged, thugs or whores who just can't get it right. So when they see our HUGE university filled with students of all racial backgrounds and our clean, orderly neighborhoods and that is NOT what they have see in the States.

We don't need nor want them in Puerto Rico and we are CERTAINLY not going to put up with their typically provincial and uninformed view of the rest of the planet.

Even more sadly, Americans or all racial backgrounds are so ill-informed about the rest of the planet, ESPECIALLY of the neighbors IN THEIR OWN hemisphere that they actually believe in all the ignorant stereo-types they see in the States as "fact".

They are to be pitied if not laughed at, but not before they buy coconut bikinis to take back as authentic "Porto Rican" "native" outfits.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min No Surprize 1,143,893
The law works for whites. The law works agains... 3 min Fhooie 1
Thoughtless Negroes 4 min sassyntrashy 8
how you get a ww to like you? 4 min amber 83
ILLEGAL Mexicans 5 min Rey Boricua 504
I thought wilson had a shattered eye socket? 5 min Black Lotus Family 45
White people are the biggest liars 6 min Doc Decency 18
Hahahaha ...large crowds are demonstrating in 3... 33 min Masud_S_Hoghughi__ 63
FERGUSON....The fix was in the selection of the... 38 min squeezers 279
BW Dating White Actor Is Harrassed By Jealous W... 1 hr Big Knob 395
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 1 hr African AE 26,592

African-American People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE