Ohio School Bans Afro Puffs and Braids

Ohio School Bans Afro Puffs and Braids

Posted in the African-American Forum

The AA Man 1972

Athens, GA

#1 Jun 28, 2013
The Lorain Horizon Science Academy in Ohio is facing heat from the natural hair community after a copy of a letter to parents that included a ban on afro puffs and ‘small twisted braids’ was posted online.

The letter details changes to the dress code for the upcoming school year and includes the line:

Afro-puffs and small twisted braids, with our without rubberbands, are NOT permitted.

It’s unclear what the administration means by small twisted braids, but if they are referring to box braids they are banning a protective style that black girls have worn for generations. Afro-puffs are essentially the black version of the ponytail (when pulled back our hair puffs out instead of laying down), and yet the rules do not have a ban on ponytails for students of other ethnicities.

It’s unspecified whether this ban applies to both male and female students, or male students alone.

The dress code restrictions highlight an age-old struggle that naturals face from both within and outside of the black community. Our hair is viewed as radical, funky or unruly in its natural state, and restrictions are sometimes placed on us in academic and professional settings that do not extend to our non-black counterparts.

So far the school hasn’t issued a response or explanation of this dress code item.

“me! chee hoo! LOL!”

Level 6

Since: Oct 09

New Zealand

#3 Jun 28, 2013
Lol.. Must be that many fros.. Talk about discrimnation
Roofis the Olive Branch

Lakeland, FL

#4 Jun 28, 2013
Black girl wrote:
I wont even get on how much money will be lost due to non purchase of weave and relaxers.
Good, those "plaskit" S Korean horse hair wigs look ridiculous anyway. I just hope you guuurls can still grow some hair after all those chemicals. But use the money on your kids. U bessbleedat
asian men carries on

Orange, CA

#5 Aug 20, 2013
What happened to freedom? their right has been taken away. afro puff simply refers to how coarse and kinkier their hair appears in a puff. if they said,"no poinytails", that means caucasion girls can't wear their flat, flowing hair either because it's not about caucasion people. once again, its white america feeling uncomfortable about your blackness. it's telling black girls to get with the program and conform. it's insulting to not be offended because caucasion people don't adjust how their hair appears naturally, why should the black girl? they say that the playing field is equal and yet here is bias rearing its ugly head and naive people saying racism is over.
it's offwnsive to those who look at you and want to concede everything that reminds them who and what you are.

they want black girls to be like caucasion girls dipped in chocolate. that way you fit into their ideals and look more like them. when did hair become apart of education? it's not like she was wearing a shirt related to gangs and she was wearing her hate on backwards. this meeting they had was dealt in feelings, not what was best for students. they should ask that their hair be clean and out of their faces. i don't know if afros and braids cause a distraction or is it that people still don't understand your hair.
hey

Penfield, NY

#6 Aug 21, 2013
The AA Man 1972 wrote:
The Lorain Horizon Science Academy in Ohio is facing heat from the natural hair community after a copy of a letter to parents that included a ban on afro puffs and ‘small twisted braids’ was posted online.
The letter details changes to the dress code for the upcoming school year and includes the line:
Afro-puffs and small twisted braids, with our without rubberbands, are NOT permitted.
It’s unclear what the administration means by small twisted braids, but if they are referring to box braids they are banning a protective style that black girls have worn for generations. Afro-puffs are essentially the black version of the ponytail (when pulled back our hair puffs out instead of laying down), and yet the rules do not have a ban on ponytails for students of other ethnicities.
It’s unspecified whether this ban applies to both male and female students, or male students alone.
The dress code restrictions highlight an age-old struggle that naturals face from both within and outside of the black community. Our hair is viewed as radical, funky or unruly in its natural state, and restrictions are sometimes placed on us in academic and professional settings that do not extend to our non-black counterparts.
So far the school hasn’t issued a response or explanation of this dress code item.
The school did issue a response and also revoked the ban citing it was a mistake. James Knight who is AA and on the school advisory board explained why they initially felt that the ban on afro-puffs be placed. But after much complaints, he realized they were wrong.
It had nothing to do with an "old-age struggle" for naturals.

Knight explained that they are a college prep school and appearance is very important. So is it still discriminatory when the AA's vote for the ban too?

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/archive/segm...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump's white voter problem 4 min ugly monkeys 15
asian men are better lovers in my opinion! (Dec '13) 6 min Hmm 12
Why all black women must breed with white men! 11 min Redefined 86
black privilege 14 min ugly monkeys 2
'They're destroying Europe – I'm not going to l... 14 min Joe 17
Blacks: DNA different from majority of humans... (May '10) 17 min RMGHispanic Causi... 207
What race are Somalis? (Aug '07) 19 min Absimil 14,507
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 24 min NotSoDivineMsM 1,375,718
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 2 hr JOHNS ON TOP OF IT 133,443
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 6 hr Ppp 43,700
HANNIBAL BARCA - of Carthage (North Africa) ... (Oct '07) 7 hr dreamhunk 3,667
More from around the web