++Mentally Stimulating Movies... Inte...

Sinajuavi
Level 6

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#61 Sep 28, 2012
Masud_S_Hoghughi__ wrote:
.......but none of these movies would raise the negrows' IQ.......
.......most films these days have at least one token negrow in them, but I don't like to see negrows on the screen.........
....and thats one of the main reasons y I stopped watching tv many years ago - too many niccuz.......
There's about a billion black people on earth, boy. Go kill yourself.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#62 Sep 28, 2012
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw that years ago at the Charels when it first came out.
I saw it on a cable TV station a week or so ago around midnight.

Anyway- I thought it was unsual and it held my interest.

I saw a very strange called Dogville. I had mixed feelings about it- wasn't expecting the ending. It was cynical in regards to human nature- showing how people can be unpredictable and turn on someone and how a person isn't always what you think and can turn it back on you 1000 fold. However, later I found out that the foreign director who made the movie made it more as a commentary of the US and that he didn't like the US- so then I was offended.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Level 8

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#63 Sep 28, 2012
sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw it on a cable TV station a week or so ago around midnight.
Anyway- I thought it was unsual and it held my interest.
I saw a very strange called Dogville. I had mixed feelings about it- wasn't expecting the ending. It was cynical in regards to human nature- showing how people can be unpredictable and turn on someone and how a person isn't always what you think and can turn it back on you 1000 fold. However, later I found out that the foreign director who made the movie made it more as a commentary of the US and that he didn't like the US- so then I was offended.
I saw Dogville at the Charles Theatre also, about 7 years ago. I forget the film maker's name....something like Verhoven. I understand that he makes many films of that kind. That one shows his dark view of America, though I hear his view of Europe isn't any brighter.

Sinajuavi
Level 6

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#64 Sep 28, 2012
Antonnioni's "Blowup"---reality is culturally defined.

Fellini Satyricon---Rome or us?

Passolini, "Le uschelli e le uschellini"---St. Francis and a disciple monk reincarnated in 1950's Italy, including a talking crow who preaches Marxist philosophy... this is a priceless example of the plethora of innovative films coming out of Italy during this era.

Buñuel & Dali, "Un chien andalou". This one could be classified with visual arts as well as film per se, b & w cinematic surrealism.

Kurosawa, "Seventh Samurai". A basic modern film.

I always liked USA films in the 60's which attacked stereotypes, racism, injustice, often ironically and humorously, and sometimes like a gut shot. "Soldier Blue", "Little Big Man", "Lilies of the Field", "Raisin in the Sun", "A Patch of Blue", and psychedelically, Antonnioni's "Zabriskie Point".

And yo let's have a big shout out for the actors of that era, who in the 50's were up against McCarthyist fascism, who persisted in trying to convey important messages in their work... I will name only a few of them, and I'm ignoring the writers...such as Rod Serling. But: Candice Bergen, Paul Newman, Sidney Poitier, Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster, and I'm ignoring women like Shelly Winters, Elizabeth Taylor, Cicely Tyson.

Location hidden

#65 Sep 28, 2012
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw Dogville at the Charles Theatre also, about 7 years ago. I forget the film maker's name....something like Verhoven. I understand that he makes many films of that kind. That one shows his dark view of America, though I hear his view of Europe isn't any brighter.
Yeah, I didn't know he was basing it on his vision of the US- I thought it was just about human nature. I read about that on the internet recently.

Location hidden

#66 Sep 28, 2012
Sinajuavi wrote:
Passolini, "Le uschelli e le uschellini"---St. Francis and a disciple monk reincarnated in 1950's Italy, including a talking crow who preaches Marxist philosophy... this is a priceless example of the plethora of innovative films coming out of Italy during this era.
Buñuel & Dali, "Un chien andalou". This one could be classified with visual arts as well as film per se, b & w cinematic surrealism.
I always liked USA films in the 60's which attacked stereotypes, racism, injustice, often ironically and humorously, and sometimes like a gut shot. "Soldier Blue", "Little Big Man", "Lilies of the Field", "Raisin in the Sun", "A Patch of Blue", and psychedelically, Antonnioni's "Zabriskie Point".
And yo let's have a big shout out for the actors of that era, who in the 50's were up against McCarthyist fascism, who persisted in trying to convey important messages in their work... I will name only a few of them, and I'm ignoring the writers...such as Rod Serling. But: Candice Bergen, Paul Newman, Sidney Poitier, Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster, and I'm ignoring women like Shelly Winters, Elizabeth Taylor, Cicely Tyson.
I'm not familiar with many of those movies- but liked Little Big Man.

“Helping you ”

Level 8

Since: Jul 11

achieve perfection

#67 Sep 28, 2012
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep in mind that there's an American version--a remake--of the Swedish film "Girl with the Dragon Tatoo." I can attest to the quality of the Swedish original. I'm not sure about the American remake.
"Rabbit Proof Fence" is a superb Australian film.
Some remakes of foreign films Americans get right... Some we mutilate so I do believe that there is a night and day kind of difference in the American Version and the Swedish original...

You don't really hear too much coming out of Australia.. It'd be good to see what their intellectual community is putting out..

“Helping you ”

Level 8

achieve perfection

#68 Sep 28, 2012
Anybody like

"Lady in the Water"..

That's one of my all time favorites... Awesome movie.. It was still intellectually stimulating.. and i could watch it with the kid and she could follow along and enjoy it as well..

"M.Knight Shalaman" ..slaughtered spelling...

but he's a pretty decent director..

I liked "The Village" as well... even liked "The happening"...

Another good Flick is "Magnolia"... It has Tome Cruise playing this insane character.. some of his best acting I've ever seen.

..and at the end of the movie...it starts raining.. well i won't spoil it.. but pretty fcking good movie.. One of my favs..

So is "A Beautiful Mind" and "American Beauty"...

MAX--

“LEGALIZE MEXICANS”

Level 5

Since: Oct 09

TO TAKE THE BLACKS JOBS

#69 Sep 28, 2012
The Rabbit Fence

That movie makes you appreciate what some people have endured in an effort to be free from evil people..........

“Helping you ”

Level 8

achieve perfection

#70 Sep 28, 2012
Categorical Imperative wrote:
"Valdez Is Comming" starring Burt Lancaster
and
"Hombre" starring Paul Newmam
Both give a profund view into human nature and contrast of cultures.
I like your name.... I like movies like that as well... movies that make you analyze human nature.

“Helping you ”

Level 8

achieve perfection

#71 Sep 28, 2012
Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:
<quoted text>
Saw that one. Very impressive special effects. Very interesting plot. Like the alternate history angle. The Bob Dylan intro music was great. Got to get it on DVD. Still have questions about the murder scene. Did the Comedian know who was killing him? After all, only one person had tha speed.
BTW
True about Dr. Manhattan. Seems he lost sense of common human shame in that transformation.
Co sign.. You know what you're talking about :)

The Bob Dylan intro was classic... I don't think the movie would of been what it was without that intro.. it was the perfect combination.. and great song too..

Level 8

Baltimore, Md.

#73 Sep 29, 2012
Carmiana wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't an intellectual subject, no matter how much your pea brain thinks it is. You're quite unintelligent if you think so. Movies are entertainment and not meant for intellectual purposes. They might be puzzling in a good way, some of them, but none the less they aren't meant to be discussed in an intellectual matter.
Philosophers and cultural critics who write on cinema would be suprised to hear that this art is not subject for intellectual inquiry and analysis.
As for the quality of movies themselves they range from cheap entertainment to high art.

Level 8

Baltimore, Md.

#74 Sep 29, 2012
Sinajuavi wrote:
Don't you love those beautiful Italians? I saw BLOW UP back in the 1990s, but I think it was made during the 1960s. Fellini, Pasoline, Antonionni--marvelous! I actually bought Fellini's SATYRICON. I recognized that title because I had taken classes in Greek and Roman literatures, and we read Petronius. Pasolini's ARABIAN NIGHTS and DECAMERON are among my favorites. Ilike Arabain Nights the best, which is interesting since I read Decameron as a student, but never did more han lightly peruse Arabian Nights.
Pasolini could not do what he did if he lived in America---being both MARXIST & GAY? No way. He would have been blacklisted or maybe even jailed in America. Another victim of McCarthyism.

Level 8

Baltimore, Md.

#75 Sep 29, 2012
MrAnderson9 wrote:
<quoted text>
I like your name.... I like movies like that as well... movies that make you analyze human nature.
LOL! So do I. "Categorical Imperative" and "Cogito ergo sum" reminds one of Kant and Descartes. Interesting.

Come to think of it, some French person made a film based on a part of Kierkegaard's EITHER/OR. I can imagine what kind of reception that would get in the States.

Level 8

Baltimore, Md.

#76 Sep 29, 2012
sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I didn't know he was basing it on his vision of the US- I thought it was just about human nature. I read about that on the internet recently.
BOTH

“Helping you ”

Level 8

achieve perfection

#77 Oct 8, 2013
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! So do I. "Categorical Imperative" and "Cogito ergo sum" reminds one of Kant and Descartes. Interesting.
Come to think of it, some French person made a film based on a part of Kierkegaard's EITHER/OR. I can imagine what kind of reception that would get in the States.
Kant and Descartes :) I was always scared of philosophy because I didn't want my perspective altered or influenced in the slightest bit. I found that a lot of the conclusions our greatest philosophers came to .. I came to as well .
Sean Beatty

United States

#78 Oct 8, 2013
Mulholland Drive. How about it?

“Helping you ”

Level 8

achieve perfection

#79 Oct 9, 2013
Sean Beatty wrote:
Mulholland Drive. How about it?
I'm not sure if I've watched that or not.
Albert B

Harrow, UK

#80 Oct 9, 2013
MrAnderson9 wrote:
What are some of your favorite mentally stimulating movies???
A few that comes to mind for me are...
"Vanilla Sky"
Loved the concept of this movie and how it unravels at the end.. other intellectuals I know weren't too fond of it.. but I found it quite interesting and a good watch..
my favorite part was the "TECH SUPPORT!!!!!" and when the "dad figure finds out he isn't real.....
Yikes... good movie..
"A.I."
Another awesome mentally stimulating movie.. when the aliens bring back his mother.. wow.. mind blowing...
I've heard some mention of:
Solaris..
Event Horizon..
Stanley Kubricks "Space Odyssey 2001"
and a few other good ones that I enjoyed as well..
Any more???
Lol this list is a fail. What a wannabe.

Level 8

Baltimore, Md.

#81 Oct 9, 2013
Recently? Maybe FREE ANGELA DAVIS AND ALL POLITICAL PRISONERS and THE BLACK POWER MIXTAPE.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min John Galt 1,417,932
News Trump calls on GOP to improve African-American ... 2 min barefoot2626 291
Was Malcom X bisexual? 16 min T-BOS 37
Are black people really the real jews? (Oct '12) 20 min MICHA 889
Why aren't there any Negroes in the Bible? 21 min ImjustMe 447
Hillary accuses Trump of racism in speech 24 min Bro Man 1
The Collective Failure of African-Americans 27 min Just Me 1
Internet a breeding ground for racists and soci... 52 min KIP 16
Trump will carry atleast 25% of the BLACK VOTE 2 hr fluer 228
More from around the web