Why are there no black people in Game...

Why are there no black people in Game of Thrones?

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Level 1

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#1 Nov 22, 2011
Why? It would be nice to see a black Darnerys. Why are there no black people in Gane of Thrones? The only dragon-related bestseller I've seen with a black main character was The Society On Da Run. Why are there no black people in GoT?
Level 1

Location hidden

#2 Nov 22, 2011
A black Daenerys! It would be cool.....

Level 2

Location hidden

#3 Nov 22, 2011
I don't know but ... PERHAPS because there are a lot of white people who want to use Fantasy as a "safen haven" without black people. Just think about how racists totally freaked out over that black actor playing a god in "Thor", or how people freaked out over that islamic Spiderman. Or gay marriages in Skyrim. Of course they say that they just want "realism" or something like that - but there need for "realism" is not disturbed by dragos, vampires etc. but by black people...

“I love being a Black Man”

Level 8

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#4 Nov 22, 2011
When Daenerys Targaryen got married to Khal Drogo. There were naked Black women in his tribe during the wedding celebration.

Even though this is loosely based on Europe. His horse people are a Southern tribe. So it would make sense that they would have Black women in their group. Since they rape and pillage. Then enslave the women.

Maybe if Daenerys learns to fly the Dragons. She will be able to go to different lands, and meet other groups of people.
Level 1

Location hidden

#5 Nov 22, 2011
Wow. People were upset about a black god in Thor? I noticed people were also upset about Angel, the black girl that played Guenivere in Merlin. They see Merlin as part of their history, when really it's not. Shame, I'd love to see a black person in GoT.

Level 2

Location hidden

#6 Nov 22, 2011
Narcissus Cartwright 2 wrote:
Wow. People were upset about a black god in Thor?
I'm afraid so:

http://www.eurweb.com/2011/03/idris-elba-says...
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/12/16/raci...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2010/apr/27...

“I love being a Black Man”

Level 8

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#7 Nov 22, 2011
I checked on the Website. Daenerys does seek shelter with Black People in Season 2.

" We’ve just recieved word that Xaro Xhoan Daxos, a merchant prince of Qarth who provides shelter and guidance to Daenerys, will be played by British actor, Nonso Anozie. "
Level 1

Location hidden

#8 Nov 22, 2011
MumRa wrote:
When Daenerys Targaryen got married to Khal Drogo. There were naked Black women in his tribe during the wedding celebration.
Even though this is loosely based on Europe. His horse people are a Southern tribe. So it would make sense that they would have Black women in their group. Since they rape and pillage. Then enslave the women.
Maybe if Daenerys learns to fly the Dragons. She will be able to go to different lands, and meet other groups of people.
Naked black women? See! When they do have black folks, it's for sex reasons!
Level 1

Location hidden

#9 Nov 22, 2011
Just like in Camelot and Sparticus
the truth

Toronto, Canada

#10 Jun 4, 2012
i think cause this is a tv show not some insurance commercial that tries to appease every race
bad day for liberals

Harrow, UK

#11 Jun 4, 2012
Wow. People were upset about a black god in Thor? I noticed people were also upset about Angel, the black girl that played Guenivere in Merlin. They see Merlin as part of their history, when really it's not. Shame, I'd love to see a black person in GoT.
you see, the legends of Arthur and Guinevere, are all about CELTS / ROMANS living in England at the time of the AngloSaxon invasions. So, there wre NO NEGROES around, so stop grumbling.
Reality Check

Ravenna, OH

#12 Jul 13, 2012
When Whites were building Castles, blacks were living in mud huts. Heck they still are today in Apeafrika.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Klaus666

Toronto, Canada

#13 Jul 13, 2012
There will be no n!88### alive in the near future, so.......!
grizz

United States

#14 Jul 15, 2012
Wow racist much....are all people of color just going to vanish....poof..tada it's a clan miracle.praise the lord and pass the ammunition!!
allthembrothers

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Jul 15, 2012
Wow. People were upset about a black god in Thor?
this brother cant understand it neither,,,RAh deep into some old thor comic,,,most time HEIMDALL GUARDIAN OF THAT RAINBOW BRIDGE seem like a brother anyway,,even if he been drew straight honk,,

moflard

Kalvehave, Denmark

#16 Jul 17, 2012
I actually like Heimdal in Thor the colour thing didn't bother me in the least. Same with Merlin a black Guinevere didn't bother me at all.

However, if someone were to make a more realistic, historically accurate take on either myth I'd probably would have problems simply because the history that created the myths had no place for black people (there's a black giant in Cylwch and Olwen but that's black as in BLACK not as in of African descent although the latter MIGHT work if handled right) so it would destroy any suspension of disbelief which is needed for fiction. It would be like a movie where Anansi was played by a white guy, it would just jar terribly.

Actually what I'd like to see is a whole black production of Othello with just the titular character played by a white guy. That might be interesting.
moflard

Kalvehave, Denmark

#17 Jul 17, 2012
Soory just one last thing. Merlin IS a historical character, he appears in the Gododdin.

“Incoming Humor. :)”

Level 6

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#18 Jul 20, 2012
Why? It would be nice to see a black Darnerys. Why are there no black people in Gane of Thrones? The only dragon-related bestseller I've seen with a black main character was The Society On Da Run. Why are there no black people in GoT?
same thing I asked myself after I read the books.
dylan

Southerly North Slope Bo, AK

#19 Oct 19, 2012
there are black people in GoT. The summer isles you dip shits, i bet you haven't even read the whole series. The People living on Westeros are based on English, Italian German and Swedish empires. Obviously royalty of a European style country is white, no racisim at all. The people living above the wall are based on the Saami and Celtic peoples, again those races are white. The people living on the other continent, some white and a lot of black (summer isles), asian (free cities) and native american-mongolian types (dothraki). So is that simple enough for yall!?

Odinist

“Viking.”

Level 2

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#20 Oct 19, 2012
A black king/prince/lord in a medieval land that looks distinctly western doesn´t fit.

In season 2, daenerys meets that eastern black-lord that she locks up in a vault at the end of the season.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 911 They dont want you to know (May '14) 1 min Kato 342
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 21 min Snowiki 1,509,133
Trump will carry atleast 25% of the BLACK VOTE (Aug '16) 41 min RMG Mundo 535
Trump ~ What a COWARD! 47 min RMG Mundo 15
Why Are Black People So Greedy And Selfish? 52 min Desperado 25
RMG : Was there surveillance at Trump Tower ? 1 hr Mr oH 46
++MrAnderson's Intellectual Thoughts Thread. (Aug '12) 1 hr MrAnderson9 170
Do black men really have larger penises? (Sep '10) 9 hr Brown Jade 1,419
More from around the web