Judged:

I just pasted these from a government site:

With regard to AFDC the figures are:

White 38.8%
Black 39.8
Hispanic 15.7
Asian 2.4
other 3.3

To break down these numbers, we look at how many Whites are in the population as a WHOLE. If Blacks make up less 14% of the population and are almost 40% of all receipients, then they represent about 2.5 times their actual population. Since Whites are over 50% of the total US pop., they represent less than their overall piece of the pie, population-wise. Hispanics are at least 15% of the general population, so they take only about as much as what their population represents. Why am I writing this? Because I am tired of the misrepresentations on this issue. I read so many on here claiming that more Whites are on welfare than Blacks (true, in terms of raw numbers), yet not accounting for the fact that there are over 4X as many Whites in this country than Blacks! In statistics, you cannot go by mere numbers. Only if the playing field is exactly equal, which is rarely is! This thread was started, not to be racist, but to keep it real. After all, there are some legitimate reasons for Blacks to be on welfare more than Whites. But the worst thing anyone can do is be in denial.
nunya

Oak Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2007

Judged:

Nunya wrote:
White 38.8%
Black 39.8
Hispanic 15.7
Asian 2.4
other 3.3
To break down these numbers, we look at how many Whites are in the population as a WHOLE. If Blacks make up less 14% of the population and are almost 40% of all receipients, then they represent about 2.5 times their actual population. Since Whites are over 50% of the total US pop., they represent less than their overall piece of the pie, population-wise. Hispanics are at least 15% of the general population, so they take only about as much as what their population represents. Why am I writing this? Because I am tired of the misrepresentations on this issue. I read so many on here claiming that more Whites are on welfare than Blacks (true, in terms of raw numbers), yet not accounting for the fact that there are over 4X as many Whites in this country than Blacks! In statistics, you cannot go by mere numbers. Only if the playing field is exactly equal, which is rarely is! This thread was started, not to be racist, but to keep it real. After all, there are some legitimate reasons for Blacks to be on welfare more than Whites. But the worst thing anyone can do is be in denial.
Before anyone cries "racist," keep in mind my prior post: there are reasons why the Black community may have a greater representation in this list. But what I was trying to accomplish was to get some of these posters to stop parroting the same old squawk: "More Whites are on welfare." Either they really don't get how stats work or they are deliberately being deceptive.

“Misunderstood”

Since: Oct 07

Wisconsin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2007

nunya

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2007

Judged:

mindofmensa wrote:
http://www.msu.edu/user/skourt es/myths.html
Thank you for the link, but you do realize that it did not dispel my stats. I have never talked about the welfare queen in my post. I merely said that overall, there is a much greater percentage of Blacks on welfare, compared to Whites, FACTORING IN EACH RACE'S TOTAL REPRESENTATION OF THE POPULATION. As for the stats about White suburbanites, I had an experience in the 'burbs with a Hispanic couple and their two kids in front of me at the grocery store. They presented a LINK card and took their groceries. When I was done and was in the parking lot unlocking my BIKE, I saw the woman on a cell phone and her hubby loading the groceries into an SUV that looked to be late model and costing around $30K! What's wrong with this picture?

Level 2

Since: Jul 07

Jamaica Queens, New York

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2007

Judged:

Well personally I have never been on welfare and neither has my family. All of us have always worked so the statistics doesn't apply to everyone.
Give me a break

Myrtle Beach, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2007

Judged:

Nunya wrote:
White 38.8%
Black 39.8
Hispanic 15.7
Asian 2.4
other 3.3
LESS THAN 14%? YOU ARE READING THAT CRAP WRONG! YOU GUYS HAVE MORE BABIES THAN YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH! PLEASE, KEEP ON TRYING TO MAKE US LOOK BAD, B/C IT-WILL-NEVER-HAPPEN!!!!!!!!
Give me a break

Myrtle Beach, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2007

Judged:

Nunya wrote:
White 38.8%
Black 39.8
Hispanic 15.7
Asian 2.4
other 3.3
MY BAD, I REREAD YOUR POST AND I JUMPED BEFORE I LOOKED! AGAIN, I APPOLOGIZE!
nunya

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2007

Judged:

Conscience Sister wrote:
Well personally I have never been on welfare and neither has my family. All of us have always worked so the statistics doesn't apply to everyone.
Agreed. This was absolutely not the point. But if you go back on some of these threads, there is stuff like "more Whites are on welfare," which doesn't tell the whole picture. In other words, it's inaccurate and I just wanted to keep it real, as the kiddies say.

“Misunderstood”

Wisconsin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2007

Judged:

nunya wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the link, but you do realize that it did not dispel my stats. I have never talked about the welfare queen in my post. I merely said that overall, there is a much greater percentage of Blacks on welfare, compared to Whites, FACTORING IN EACH RACE'S TOTAL REPRESENTATION OF THE POPULATION. As for the stats about White suburbanites, I had an experience in the 'burbs with a Hispanic couple and their two kids in front of me at the grocery store. They presented a LINK card and took their groceries. When I was done and was in the parking lot unlocking my BIKE, I saw the woman on a cell phone and her hubby loading the groceries into an SUV that looked to be late model and costing around $30K! What's wrong with this picture?
You’re quite welcome….I’m smart enough to pick my battles wisely, hence the reason why I did not make a comment…I work with stats for a living, so therefore I know that blacks and Hispanics do disproportionately receive food stamps…However, it is unwise to assume that they’re economy suckers without taking into consideration many other factors that I won't get into…

I don’t know why so many people focus on welfare, as it sucks up only a very small percentage of US taxes…The majority of our taxes go to Social Security, Medicare (health insurance for the elderly)---500 billion combined; military, 300 billion; the INTEREST on the national debt, 250 billion; and assistance to the poor, to include food stamps, welfare, etc at only 105 billion….

Granted, many of these taxes are needed, such as Social Security and Medicare… But as tax payers, we should be more upset with funding the war and paying interest on the US debt, which is due to misappropriation of funds, than on the small percentage of taxes which go to the poor…
kill

Princeton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2007

Judged:

Solid Blade wrote:
More whites on welfare
More blacks on welfare.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2007

Judged:

Conscience Sister wrote:
Congratulations.
Incidentally, neither my family, or myself, have ever partaken of the free government cheese either. Imagine that, white people living in Mississippi who have never been on welfare. I guess we are ALL bucking the curve here.

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2007

Judged:

Could you kindly display population stats as well..and please cite the links you are using

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2007

Judged:

and please understand welfare takes more forms that just AFDC, there are farm subsidies, wic, EIC, utility refunds, food stamps, ect... Welfare is any government etitlements that are recieved but not earned. Please factor all welfare issues into your numbers when making a point.
Sojourner

Surprise, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2007

Judged:

Blacks are brain washed by propaganda. Many want it believed that Blacks are lazy, unindustrious, etc. To make the point, trolls point to groups who have suceeded in the United States and to immigrating groups who are working low paid jobs.
What critics of African Amricans don't want you to see are the subsidies provided to people belonging to the "so called" successful groups.
The United States "loans" gives $billions to Israel, for example. Homeland security gives $millions to synagogues, Additional $billions were "loaned" given to Europe to rebuild. Take a look, for example, at what Ireland spends on welfare per person:

http://www.welfare.ie/topics/budget/bud07/rat...
What are the facts:
1.) The United States is no longer a manufacturiang based economy. Jobs are being outsourced or robotized. The country is importing much of it's goods, e.g., meat, vegetables, clothing, etc.
2.) Goods coming into the country are often products of slave labor. Only last week GAP's supplier in India was discovered using child labor. There are counltess shops such as the one supplying GAP thorughout Asia, South America, India, China, etc.
3.) Blacks traditionally have been the last hired and the first fired. There's nothing new. It only makes sense that as the job source declines, Blacks will be adversely and severely affected.
4.) Industry and facotries that are in the U.S. are often located in small towns, miles away from the areas in which African American poor reside. Transportation is a major issue.
5.) It is unfari to compare Blacks with Spanish immigrants as many of them don't appear on a payroll, don't pay Social Security, FICA and are not eligible for unemployment. You can get an idea of the drain caused by Spanish workers when you look at the budgets for hospitals and schools. This is normally paid for by taxpayers, Blacks as well as whites.
6.) Crime statistics--esp. now that local law enforcement arrests illegals--is also a source of comparison. Arizona, for example, allots a substantial portion of its budget to house incarcerated illegals and guard border crossings.

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2007

Judged:

confused wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. Those damned farmers taking unearned money. Oh, wait. Farmers are going broke trying to grow food an blacks are eating more than their share (look at the welfare-fed hogs in line at the grocery store). No contest but nice try. The majority of blacks take the biggest piece of welfare. Welfare stats are based on the race of the mother so you have to factor in the FUDs (Fat, Ugly, and/or Dumb white girls) who have their half-breeds sucking at the public tit.
Farmers are being paid our tax dollars not to work. This is so the price of comodities can stay high. Welfare is welfare. The welfare stats published are incomplete and do not represent the whole picture. Statistics can say anything, and in this case it says the poster is either racist, or unknowledgable. You have shown yourself to not be interested in an honest discusssion, but rather race baiting which i will not be a part of....I will not respond to any further posts from you
Sojourner

Surprise, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2007

Judged:

Silly, silly trolls. Famers make money off of poor kids. That's what the school-lunch program is all about. What's driving farmers into BK is the emergence of corporate farms. Ask anyone in agri-business.
Again, notice how the two ignorant trolls ignored my points about where U.S. welfare is actually going.
Take a look at a super conservative estimate of U.S. Government "loans" give aways to Israel:
http://www.wrmea.com/archives/July_2006/06070...
Government aid to Spanish speaking immigrants:

ttp://www.lvrj.com/news/851714 2.html
Faith Based Grants Last year $2.5 Billion.(Evangelical front organizations)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php...

THE POINT: If trolls are going to complain about government welfare, then let's complain about ALL government welfare. Why pick on Blacks?
...and yes, some Blacks are dumb enought to believe the propaganda. Not unusual, since it's obvious that trolls around here believe it to.

“Real Black Men Speak English”

Level 4

Since: May 07

Bmore

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2007

Judged:

nunya wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. This was absolutely not the point. But if you go back on some of these threads, there is stuff like "more Whites are on welfare," which doesn't tell the whole picture. In other words, it's inaccurate and I just wanted to keep it real, as the kiddies say.
more whites are on welfare. That's a true statement and a fact. It's not inaccurate

Race: About 1 in 4 Black mothers of childbearing ages (1.5 million) were AFDC recipients, higher than the 7 percent of corresponding White mothers (2.1 million). Despite these differences in recipiency rates, Black AFDC mothers did not have significantly more children than their White
http://www.census.gov/population/socdemo/stat...

unless you failed 2nd grade math, you do know 2.1 million is more than 1.5 million

“All your base are belong to us”

Since: Sep 07

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2007

Judged:

Nunya wrote:
White 38.8%
Black 39.8
Hispanic 15.7
Asian 2.4
other 3.3
I agree with you, Nunya.

I don't think facts can be inherently racist, but the interpretation can be. More importantly, however, racist or not, valid interpretations must be based on facts.

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2007

Judged:

JohnnyQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you, Nunya.
I don't think facts can be inherently racist, but the interpretation can be. More importantly, however, racist or not, valid interpretations must be based on facts.
The facts need to be complete. These are not complete

“MY EYES ARE OPEN”

Since: May 07

Land of the O's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2007

Judged:

Conscience Sister wrote:
Im with you.

Plus....I swear...maybe its where I live, but its always the white woman on her cell holding up the market line as she enters her EBT number! ha ha ha!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of5,761
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

467 Users are viewing the African-American Forum right now

Search the African-American Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
I Feel Sorry For Pro-Black Black Women 2 min Capree 417
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Mrs Robinson 1,034,148
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 5 min African AE 88,666
BM: Legacy of Living off Women! (Aug '13) 6 min KIP 20
What's REALLY destroying the Black Community 11 min Analyze_ 41
Random thoughts... (Sep '07) 11 min Bigsmoke 67,769
Want to be famous like Jay z, Beyonce? 16 min Trouble 4
Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are BLACK (Apr '13) 17 min Analyze_ 2,390
Are white women attracted to black men? (Aug '06) 32 min Panza 111,404