Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated Jan 27, 2013

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#1 Jan 22, 2013
The Black Romanians. A Question of Race or a Question of Gypsiness?

Michaela Mudure

This paper explores the identity problems of the children resulting from the marriages between Romanian women and African students who came to Romania in the 1970’s and 1980’s as a result of the efforts of the Communist regime of the time to establish good relations with several leftist regimes from Africa and to turn the then dictator of Romania, Nicolae Ceauşescu, into an influential factor in world politics.

With very few exceptions, all these African students were males and they had legitimate or illegitimate children with Romanian women. The paper analyzes the identity problems of these children, how they perceived their blackness and how their blackness was perceived by their Romanian relatives, by their African relatives and by Romanian society.

As Romania had its own “Blacks” for centuries - I am referring to the Roma - the paper also analyzes the way in which the race of the Black Romanians was constructed by association and stigmatization as Gypsiness.

The method used by the author is the interview with several individuals who are in this position and the research of the Romanian press after 1990. We have focused on the press after 1990 because it only after 1990 that race became an issue in the press. Under the Communist regime racist tendencies were not allowed any public outlet, they were officially repressed, but they survived and unfortunately took even violent forms in the personal discourse. After 1990 all these tendencies were given free manifestation in the press.

http://www.best.uni-mainz.de/modules/AMS/arti...

© by Black European Studies 2005, provided by Synlabor.de,
Melon head

UK

#2 Jan 22, 2013
here we go ! Roma gyppos are NOT black at all. Romanians are not black. Africans cannot be Europeans.

Since: Nov 12

Romania

#3 Jan 25, 2013
Romanian Blacks ?!
Some mulatto's yes , but blacks...?!
About gypsies, anybody in Europe had some "shat" against them, but they're not blacks mate ! Yes, they were slaves in Romania, but from what I know they were freed in 1850's without a civill war !

If you're a "member" of Black peep's doesn't mean you're slave either .
For @Brainiac2

Location hidden

#4 Jan 25, 2013
-Piper- wrote:
Romanian Blacks ?!
Some mulatto's yes , but blacks...?!
About gypsies, anybody in Europe had some "shat" against them, but they're not blacks mate ! Yes, they were slaves in Romania, but from what I know they were freed in 1850's without a civill war !
If you're a "member" of Black peep's doesn't mean you're slave either .
For @Brainiac2
I have never considered Gypsies black.
The writer of the article is the one who is misguided.
Neither do I think mullatoes are black.
It was a mistake to post a thread with that title.
My apologies.

Location hidden

#7 Jan 25, 2013
Axe_V12 wrote:
This is really very sad.
If black's are the height of civilization as they claim, why are they always talking about Italians, Egyptians, Romanians (smdh), Amerindians and Vikings (lmfwao)???
Why not focus on the seat of your greatness, the very height of black glory?
Sub-Saharan Africa surely holds all the riches of ancient civilizations needed to evidence blacks as superior and the universal kings and queens that Afrocentrics insist they are.
Right?
Then why aren't you doing it. No one is preventing you folks from starting as many positive threads as you like yet positive threads are very few and far between.

Location hidden

#10 Jan 26, 2013
Axe_V12 wrote:
<quoted text>
As we are forced to remind many posters on AFAM daily, I'll remind you, this is the African American forum.
There is a dearth of positive threads here whether we start them or not.
I can't convince you that the presence of what you might call "white trolls" here is in direct proportion to the antagonism we've found.
You can't convince me that the presence of what you might call "white trolls" here is in inverse proportion to the peaceful black unity you've found.
LOL!I suggest you remind your Anglo enemies who disrespect you by posting racist obcenities instead of trying to pick a fight with me.
Bigsmoke

London, UK

#11 Jan 26, 2013
Axe_V12 wrote:
This is really very sad.
If black's are the height of civilization as they claim, why are they always talking about Italians, Egyptians, Romanians (smdh), Amerindians and Vikings (lmfwao)???
Why not focus on the seat of your greatness, the very height of black glory?
Sub-Saharan Africa surely holds all the riches of ancient civilizations needed to evidence blacks as superior and the universal kings and queens that Afrocentrics insist they are.
Right?
Like your Nazi forefathers claiming to be Aryans, correct me if I'm wrong.

Rather pathetic aint it?

Also you should remove Egypt from your list as it's clear to those who understand Ancient Egypt that black contribution was there.

Romania

#13 Jan 27, 2013
UruEuWauWau wrote:
<quoted text>
It depends what ya consider 'black'. ;-) For Xample, on the Balkans I saw many dark-skinned gypsies, who were darker than Yank Obama, Bajan Rihanna, Yank Williams sisses, etc. ;-) But 'black' like in 'black African origin', those gypsies surely aren't. ;-D
In Bulgaria, Hungary,Slovakia and Romania you'll find very dark, almost black , gypsies . That's cuz peep's there didn't mixed with them . In romanian principalities, if a man/woman would dare to marry a gypsy would became automaticaly a slave like his/her husband/wife ! But as darker they look the more caucasian feature show up on their faces. Some look exactly like south indian Dravidians .

Romania

#14 Jan 27, 2013
Bigsmoke wrote:
<quoted text>
Also you should remove Egypt from your list as it's clear to those who understand Ancient Egypt that black contribution was there.
There's no question about it , Kushite Pharaons . Not to mention that Upper Egypt was inbetween Sudan . The Nile was a highway back then , same it was Mediterranean Sea (at least somebody knows what Mediterra means ?:^)).

Romania

#16 Jan 27, 2013
@Sandy
WOW Teh girl look exactly like a gypsy!
I've seen prettier gypsy girls thoug ;^)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
There's A War On The Black Male 4 min black man1 549
Too Many Of Us? Club Shuts Down Because Of "Too... (Apr '11) 5 min Jubilant Sleep 199
Michael Brown .. STRONG ARM ROBBERY ??? 6 min OnlyPatchWork 2,103
This movie will CHANGE YOUR LIFE .. 7 min Ash 1
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Incognito4Ever 1,100,505
the black race is superior over all races. i al... (May '13) 8 min Jubilant Sleep 21
I don't want to marry a BLACK MAN 10 min reality-check 3,241
Why do blacks claim to be the true Israelites? ... (May '11) 14 min Ben YISRAEL 4,732
How has Africa from the begining of time influe... (May '13) 21 min Insect Trust 1,877
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
Ashburn Dating

more search filters

less search filters

African-American People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••