What's W 123rd Street in Harlem like now...need advice

Posted in the African-American Forum

SangoKing

London, UK

#1 Mar 24, 2011
Planning a short stay at W 123rd Street in April 2011 and like to know what is it really like now and the surrounding area. I found a nice apartment at a reasonable price there!

The picture in google map of the street and area is old.

I'm concerned about the area particularly with the housing project at the end of the block and on W 124th Street. Based on the quick research I've done online, this housing project had some really bad rep for drug dealing/violence a few years back. With the renovation that has happened to it and the police on their backs, things seems to have become safe again. Also, in 2009, the FBI listed a few blocks away, St Nicholas and 125th Street has one of the most 25 dangerous neighbourhood in USA!

Plus, has the planned building work at the parking lot started yet?

Just looking for anyone that knows the area well to share their thoughts. Is it safe at night to walk from the street to the subway and back. I plan to go out a lot at night and yes, I can take the cab, but might want to save money and take the subway.

BTW: I'm Black British, so have no problem staying in a predominant black area just don't want put my life in complete danger in a city and neighbourhood I'm new to.

Thanks
Ribessa

New York, NY

#2 Mar 24, 2011
Harlem is great.
THX00451

Baltimore, MD

#3 Mar 24, 2011
<<<< What's W 123rd Street in Harlem like now...need advice >>>>

It's a free-fire zone of crime, violence, rape, inbreeding, incest, crack-dealing, mammies smacking "theys" illegitimate pickaninnies right on the street corner, chicken joints, that horrid "rap" blasting from the trunk of every POS Cutlass/Le Sabre these Congoliacs can slap a set of 22" spinners on, gunfire in the distance (i.e., across the street), shoplifting, looting, and unintelligible monkey-jabber in all directions.

Be sure you've had all your shots and bring an ebonics translation book with you. A bodygaurd or two wouldn't be a bad idea either...
SangoKing

London, UK

#4 Mar 24, 2011
@Ribessa - Do you live in Harlem by any chance or familiar with area I am talking about? I've read that Harlem is up and coming place.. Cheers
SangoKing

London, UK

#5 Mar 24, 2011
@Thx00451 - Not sure if you're being serious (lol!). The Harlem you described sounds scarily as hell! Can't be that bad...
Ribessa

Montclair, NJ

#7 Mar 24, 2011
SangoKing wrote:
@Ribessa - Do you live in Harlem by any chance or familiar with area I am talking about? I've read that Harlem is up and coming place.. Cheers
I go there frequently. Its a great place.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 5 Reasons The American Dream Is Eluding Black P... 7 min coretta 1,117
Woman Benefits From Affirmative Action 9 min Betty Boop 4
Why do I hate white people so much? 12 min hackney 127
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 23 min RoxLo 1,223,988
Asian Women Don't Hate Black Men But! (Aug '09) 28 min iamgregw 2,229
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 30 min Ben YISRAEL 118,323
Africa will destroy USA 31 min Tme 31
Why do white men like to watch white women have... (Jan '14) 36 min hackney 120
Major Protesting in Baltimore Right Now 1 hr Sunshine 527
More from around the web