Women age faster than Men

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Level 8

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#1 Mar 27, 2014
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/laura-casewel...
"Unfortunately girls, we are more prone to earlier facial ageing than our male counterparts, and we also have more body parts which gravity can (cruelly) take over, but what can be done as we start getting older to help keep youth on our side? Of course there are various kinds of invasive surgery- facial nip/tucks are nothing new- but there are also numerous collagen-rich cosmeceuticals on the market which can help tighten and plump skin on the face, and even skin rejuvenating treatments using high-tech lasers to slow down the clock."

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Level 8

I'm An Illegal Alien

#2 Mar 27, 2014
Is a Man's Skin Really Different?
by Dr. Diana Howard

The skin on a man versus that on a woman is significantly different. The ability to grow a beard is just one obvious distinction among many others that are not so evident. From a structural point of view, some of the differences include skin thickness, collagen density, loss of collagen as we age, texture and hydration. These differences in the skin may in fact create differences in the treatment room. Let’s look at each of these aspects in more detail.

Skin Thickness
We know that the thickness of the skin varies with the location, age and sex of the individual. Additionally, androgens (i.e. testosterone), which cause an increase in skin thickness, accounts for why a man’s skin is about 25 percent thicker than that of a woman’s. A man’s skin also thins gradually with age, whereas the thickness of a woman’s skin remains constant until about the age of fifty. After menopause, her skin will thin significantly, which will continue as she ages.

Collagen Density
Regardless of age, men have a higher collagen density than women; this is the ratio of collagen to the thickness of the skin. Researchers believe that the higher collagen density accounts for why women appear to age faster than men of the same age. When considering intrinsic (genetically-programmed) aging of the skin, it has been said that women are about 15 years older than men of the same age. Of course, the role of daylight exposure in skin aging, combined with the fact that men do not use sunscreen as often as women, may account for why we do not readily notice. Extrinsic aging from UV radiation can add years to a man’s skin and negate the benefit of slower intrinsic aging.

Loss of Collagen
The physical signs of aging in adults, such as wrinkles and laxity to the tissue, are closely related to the collagen content of the skin. Both men and women lose about one percent of their collagen per year after their 30th birthday. For women, however, this escalates significantly in the first five years after menopause then slows down to a loss of two percent per year.

Texture
From a superficial perspective, the texture of a man’s skin is very different than a woman’s. The texture (on a man) is rougher, and the Stratum Corneum is thicker. There is also a difference in the composition of sebum and its production. After puberty, sebum production is greater in males than in females, which is attributed to androgen secretions and accounts for why men have longer lasting acne. The cells in a man’s sebaceous glands have more positive receptors for androgens, which explains why they produce more sebum. Interestingly, redness, proliferation of the sebaceous glands and swelling of the skin on the nose,(a condition known as rhinophyma that is found in extreme cases of rosacea) is only seen in males. It is unknown if this condition is controlled by androgens in a similar capacity as sebum production.
https://www.dermalinstitute.com/us/library/17...

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Level 8

I'm An Illegal Alien

#3 Mar 27, 2014
Men become more distinguished as they age and women, well, we just keep getting older. And if this isn't bad enough, a new study shows that the female skin actually starts to age faster than the hides of men.

Using a new laser imaging technique, researchers looked at the deeper layers of the skin and measure the amount of damage from sun exposure and aging. The imaging of collagen and elastin, whose degeneration causes wrinkles and loss of smoothness, revealed that women lose collagen faster than men.

Collagens are a group of proteins in the dermis, the connective tissue layer of the skin, and are responsible for the strength of skin. The human body makes a lot of collagen in youth. But collagen production declines with aging.
http://www.livescience.com/1054-woman-skin-ag...

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Level 8

I'm An Illegal Alien

#4 Mar 27, 2014
Aging: One Area Where Women Age Faster Than Men
SIGN IN TO E-MAIL THIS
PRINT
REPRINTS

By ERIC NAGOURNEY
Published: October 10, 2006
Researchers studying skin damage have found that women surpass men in one area they may wish they did not: how quickly their skin ages.

Stuart Goldenberg
Related
More Vital Signs Columns »
Web Link
In Vivo Assessment of Human Skin Aging by Multiphoton Laser Scanning Tomography (Optic Letters)

The researchers, whose article appears in the current issue of Optics Letters, were not interested in who ages better but instead were trying to develop a way to assess skin damage without having to remove a sample. Working at German research centers, they found that using experimental laser-based technology allowed them to peer several layers into the skin and assess markers of damage from sun, aging and disease.

Until now, doctors who wanted to make such evaluations had to cut out a piece of skin, the researchers said. But the new equipment allowed them to look at deep layers of skin, gauging, among other things, the levels of collagen and elastin. As those components of the skin break down, people begin to look older.

The researchers tested the technique by looking at people’s forearms, and found that even for the same person there could be big variations. In a 35-year-old, the researchers said, some areas of the forearm can look as if they belong on someone 10 years younger, while others would not look out of place on someone twice their age.

But as a general rule, the levels of collagen and elastin dropped with age. And the researchers noticed that women seemed to lose collagen more rapidly then men.

A co-author of the paper, Dr. Johannes Koehler, emphasized that the study was small and still in its early stages. But if it turns out to be true that women’s skin ages faster, he said, it may have to do with menopause-related declines in estrogen and progesterone.

If the new laser technique pans out over the long run, the researchers said, it could help doctors understand diseases that involve the collagen structure.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/10/health/10sk...

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Level 8

I'm An Illegal Alien

#5 Mar 27, 2014
This means that as gay, I'll have a better chance of having my man still be young and fresh at the age 40 like this
http://streetz945.com/proof/tag/tyson-beckfor...
or this
depositphotos_19844847-Smiling -man
than a straight man would be able to have a young looking woman at the same age.
Especially if the man is black.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Racism in America (May '17) 2 min THrilLa 1,012
Everyday I thank the Lord I am Black!! 3 min Marcus Washington 309
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Jacques Ottawa Or... 1,641,445
Can America Become 80% White Again? 4 min THrilLa 679
THREE WORDS USED TO DESCRIBE WHITES. kir sucka 7 min THrilLa 37
Congratulations nighurs. 600 Chicago homicides... 14 min Ugly monkeys 1
dear black women 34 min bluestreak returns 20
Why is the media pushing interracial relationsh... (Sep '14) 1 hr bluestreak returns 832
Somebody explain the Volvo car commercial to me 2 hr The Laughing Axe 91
More from around the web