Somali leaders, students call for cha...

Somali leaders, students call for change in Mpls. schools

There are 54 comments on the KARE-TV Minneapolis story from Feb 20, 2013, titled Somali leaders, students call for change in Mpls. schools. In it, KARE-TV Minneapolis reports that:

Minneapolis School board member Hussein Samatar spoke out on behalf of the Somali community Tuesday in hopes of shining a light on what he calls a lack of leadership in Minneapolis Public Schools.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KARE-TV Minneapolis.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Obsidian Princess”

Level 8

Since: Sep 09

louisiana

#1 Feb 20, 2013
WOAH!!!

why did i not hear OUR side of the story on this issue????

it seems that the somali children are frustrated because of the schools not catering to their specific needs moreso then having a serious issue with blk american children....

anyway, a one sided view of things does not help any of us understand the crux of the issue..

blk americans and somali people just need to leave each other alone in MN.

“I'm a proud grandma”

Level 7

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#2 Feb 21, 2013
They want more Somali speaking faculty, so they are not trying to assimilate. Immigrants nowadays find English to be an inconvenience. Black Americans were forced to learn English, but these new groups apparently want to be catered to in their own languages.

Push 1 for Spanish, 2 for Mandarin, and 3 for Somali. It is really starting to get old in my view.

“Obsidian Princess”

Level 8

Since: Sep 09

louisiana

#3 Feb 22, 2013
Ms Mack wrote:
They want more Somali speaking faculty, so they are not trying to assimilate. Immigrants nowadays find English to be an inconvenience. Black Americans were forced to learn English, but these new groups apparently want to be catered to in their own languages.
Push 1 for Spanish, 2 for Mandarin, and 3 for Somali. It is really starting to get old in my view.
my thinking was that they wanted somali teachers for the reason of being able to identify better with not because they have a problem having to speak the english language.. then again, i don't know...

any way, this is AMERICA not somalia. i don't agree that they have to or should "assimilate" but they must understand that somethings are a neccessity in order to oppertate successfully in this country.

Level 8

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#4 Feb 22, 2013
officially there are bout 120K somalis, though i'm sure the real number is 3X that. but in any case, we still talk'n a tiny population. you ain't gonna get special anything with numbers that small.

for some reason somalis think someone should be catering to them. when they just need to get over this idea they superior to other blacks, and get along and try to fit in.

it's also my understanding that the somalis took a pretty hard beat down. with comments from observers saying 'somalis getting knocked out left and right'. which is another reason they should mix in - if you can't beat'm join'm.

“Obsidian Princess”

Level 8

Since: Sep 09

louisiana

#5 Feb 22, 2013
they don't have to "mix" in. they just need to learn how to get a long with people who are different then them.

Level 8

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#6 Feb 22, 2013
dragonpat wrote:
they don't have to "mix" in. they just need to learn how to get a long with people who are different then them.
people get along by mixing in.
you separate cuz you have no intention of getting along.

at least that's how i see it when you have blacks forming their own isolated groups. there's an antagonism there that caused that kinda separation, when blacks ethnic groups typically bond pretty easily.

“Obsidian Princess”

Level 8

Since: Sep 09

louisiana

#7 Feb 23, 2013
DISASTER LOOMS wrote:
<quoted text>
people get along by mixing in.
you separate cuz you have no intention of getting along.
at least that's how i see it when you have blacks forming their own isolated groups. there's an antagonism there that caused that kinda separation, when blacks ethnic groups typically bond pretty easily.
but we don't understand the somali culture that is for a good part, indifferent towards those who are different then them.

i have heard other africans say the same thing about somali people as a whole. i bet no other group of blk folk are worried about "mixing" and mingling with somali people.

“Dont Play With Me”

Level 4

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#8 Feb 23, 2013
Too be completely honest, I dont blame Black Americans for having a problem against Somalis. They are very rude, mean and nasty people and alot of them are racist against Blacks and they be calling us the N word and alot of them dont consider themseleves Black. They also have a superiority complex against Blacks so I dont blame them for having a problem against Somalis
Barros Serrano

Silver City, NM

#9 Feb 23, 2013
Ms Mack wrote:
They want more Somali speaking faculty, so they are not trying to assimilate. Immigrants nowadays find English to be an inconvenience. Black Americans were forced to learn English, but these new groups apparently want to be catered to in their own languages.
Push 1 for Spanish, 2 for Mandarin, and 3 for Somali. It is really starting to get old in my view.
Spanish was here before English. Not really an immigrant language in terms of the USA.

Level 8

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#10 Feb 23, 2013
dragonpat wrote:
<quoted text>
but we don't understand the somali culture that is for a good part, indifferent towards those who are different then them.
i have heard other africans say the same thing about somali people as a whole. i bet no other group of blk folk are worried about "mixing" and mingling with somali people.
i've only met one somali in my life so i can't speak from just one personal experience, which was excellent btw.

but it's my understanding that somalis line themselves up with arabs, believe they better than other blacks. bantus who are muslims, are systematically discriminated in somalia to the point where they have to seek refuge in other countries.

somalis also have an insulting word for aa, that i can't think of, but its my understanding that they use to all the time. and they also call aa the n-word as though they were white - pretty amazing don't you think?

africans in general bring their own type of racism with them and tend to separate from aa, with hostilities and violent exploding in chicago, philly, NC, and nyc.

the only africans i can say i really like are ethiopians, who have a very warm relationship with aa on the EC and atlanta. other afro-descendants in the americans get long with aa just fine, on the EC, even when they speak spanish.

the african immigrant population is growing fast. it'll be interesting if we see more african style tribalism cuz of that.
ashanti king

Drexel Hill, PA

#11 Feb 23, 2013
DISASTER LOOMS wrote:
<quoted text>i've only met one somali in my life so i can't speak from just one personal experience, which was excellent btw.

but it's my understanding that somalis line themselves up with arabs, believe they better than other blacks. bantus who are muslims, are systematically discriminated in somalia to the point where they have to seek refuge in other countries.

somalis also have an insulting word for aa, that i can't think of, but its my understanding that they use to all the time. and they also call aa the n-word as though they were white - pretty amazing don't you think?

africans in general bring their own type of racism with them and tend to separate from aa, with hostilities and violent exploding in chicago, philly, NC, and nyc.

the only africans i can say i really like are ethiopians, who have a very warm relationship with aa on the EC and atlanta. other afro-descendants in the americans get long with aa just fine, on the EC, even when they speak spanish.

the african immigrant population is growing fast. it'll be interesting if we see more african style tribalism cuz of that.
Shut up, u say this all the time, on every thread. I have lived in Philly all my life. In the early 2000s when Africans started migrating to the United States there a lot of fights between aas and Africans. I don't see that anymore, we have this African club where in Philly but you will see aas, and Caribbean. Unfortunately u will see Africans and aas also commuting crimes in Philly together.

Level 8

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#13 Feb 23, 2013
ashanti king wrote:
<quoted text>
Shut up, u say this all the time, on every thread. I have lived in Philly all my life. In the early 2000s when Africans started migrating to the United States there a lot of fights between aas and Africans. I don't see that anymore, we have this African club where in Philly but you will see aas, and Caribbean. Unfortunately u will see Africans and aas also commuting crimes in Philly together.
people will naturally assimilate, if immigration is slow and you don't have a large concentration of a single african ethnic group in one area - like minnie for example.

immigrants always fight with natives this goes on across many different racial/ethnic groups. but these somalis for the most part aren't immigrants. so theres something a little different going on there.

i think you will agree that africans generally don't have the same racial identity that aa and other blacks in the americas have. imo its fair to say afro-descendant people here, think black first and whatever their specific ethnic group, second. while african immigrants think tribe first then race.

the way africans separate insult have marriage restrictions, and kill each other over tribal difference (something you definitely don't see on this side of the pond) would seem to illustrate that point.
jumpstart

United States

#15 Feb 23, 2013
what we aa need to do is learn an African language then we don't have to worry about who's coming on this forum. as long as we keep speaking English why to keep coming in what we learn our indigenous languages the game is almost over.
Barros Serrano

Silver City, NM

#17 Feb 23, 2013
Face it... the root of the problem here is ISLAM.
Anonymous

Calgary, Canada

#18 Feb 23, 2013
Honestly you people should just forget about the somalis, here in canada the somalis kill themselves like no tomorrow with their gangs and sh*t. They've taken over a communitys in toronto and speacially edmonton, they've got their own gangs and kill each other every day.

I see them on the news but I think their just an embarrssement to other african immigrants that actually work and get educated, and take care of their kids.

Most somalis here in cnada live in poverty because they choose to not work or go to school and keep having babies every year, most of the choose to be on welfare rather then get a job.

They say their mad muslims but I don't see that considering how most of them act.

Level 8

Since: Aug 09

Saint Louis, MO

#19 Feb 23, 2013
Ms Mack wrote:
They want more Somali speaking faculty, so they are not trying to assimilate. Immigrants nowadays find English to be an inconvenience. Black Americans were forced to learn English, but these new groups apparently want to be catered to in their own languages.
Push 1 for Spanish, 2 for Mandarin, and 3 for Somali. It is really starting to get old in my view.
You are an idiot. Mosy Somalis speak half a dozen languages, including Somali, Italian, Arabic and Eglish. Plus,many speak other African laguages such ass Swahili and Amharic.

Level 8

Since: Aug 09

Saint Louis, MO

#20 Feb 23, 2013
dragonpat wrote:
<quoted text>
my thinking was that they wanted somali teachers for the reason of being able to identify better with not because they have a problem having to speak the english language.. then again, i don't know...
any way, this is AMERICA not somalia. i don't agree that they have to or should "assimilate" but they must understand that somethings are a neccessity in order to oppertate successfully in this country.
Minneapolis has the largest Somali community in the world outside Somalia. This is not like any other city. This is a unique place with unique issues and problems. Let the Somalis in Minneaplois work out their own problems. Like it or not, you will never turn Somalis into KKKristians. The one thjing they dio weverywhere they settle is build huge expensive and nice Masjids so they can Pray Five Times a Day. I do not know Minneapolis in detail. But I am sure there are brand new buildomgs there to serve the Somali community. I know for fact that this is the case in Atlanta, here in St. Louis and Nsahville, Tennessee. It is we who will learn from Somalis, not the other way around. For example, half the blackowned small businesses here are owned by Somalis.

Level 8

Since: Aug 09

Saint Louis, MO

#21 Feb 23, 2013
DISASTER LOOMS wrote:
officially there are bout 120K somalis, though i'm sure the real number is 3X that. but in any case, we still talk'n a tiny population. you ain't gonna get special anything with numbers that small.
Spouth High School is 8% Somali compared to 20% kneegrow. Thjat numbher is small compred to what I think it at other schools in the area. Minneapolis is a Somali town, like it or not.
DISASTER LOOMS wrote:
for some reason somalis think someone should be catering to them.
They have that right as US Citizens. They are beginning to lect their own officals all acorss Minnesota. Sooner or later, tehir voices will be heard on the school borads. This is especially true because they educate themselves at a much higher rate that kneegrows. They drop out less.

DISASTER LOOMS wrote:
when they just need to get over this idea they superior to other blacks, and get along and try to fit in.
Somalis are Muslims and Islam is far superior to KKKristianity, like it or not.
DISASTER LOOMS wrote:
it's also my understanding that the somalis took a pretty hard beat down. with comments from observers saying 'somalis getting knocked out left and right'. which is another reason they should mix in - if you can't beat'm join'm.
That will not convert even ione Somali to your sick and backwards way of low life. I am not surprised to hear that they do not street fight as well as kneegrows, Somalis are a very civlized and gentle breed of people who are more into intellectual matters than basketball and football. The Somalis I have talked to are not even paying this mess any attention at all. They have better things to worry about.

Level 8

Since: Aug 09

Saint Louis, MO

#22 Feb 23, 2013
dragonpat wrote:
<quoted text>
but we don't understand the somali culture that is for a good part, indifferent towards those who are different then them.
i have heard other africans say the same thing about somali people as a whole. i bet no other group of blk folk are worried about "mixing" and mingling with somali people.
Somalis are Muslims. That is their identity. No one else on earth is as Muslim as Somalis, especially not other Africans. The only ones who come close would be Mauritanians and Libyans. Libyans are 97% Muslim. Mauritanians are 98%. Somalis are nearly 100% Muslim.

Level 8

Since: Aug 09

Saint Louis, MO

#23 Feb 23, 2013
DISASTER LOOMS wrote:
<quoted text>
i've only met one somali in my life so i can't speak from just one personal experience, which was excellent btw.
but it's my understanding that somalis line themselves up with arabs, believe they better than other blacks.
Most Somalis are part Arab. They could be nothing else considering that Arabis is right next door and both sides cross back and forth across the border. But, they are closely related to Egyptians who are the largest Arab country. But, they are Somalis who do not speak Arabic, but Somali. Even so many Somalis, especially the elite celergy and very fluent in Arabic. Most understand clasical Arabis such as in The Quran. And some tribes are more Arab than African, biologically speaking. That is true of many African countries. Ethiopia, next door, for example, once ruled about 95% of Arabia.( http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris... ) Plus Arabs consider Somalis to be Arabs. Miszs Arab World 2009 is Somali.( http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/683/tart... ) Notice that Somalis are pace steepers among the Arabs.
DISASTER LOOMS wrote:
<quoted text>bantus who are muslims, are systematically discriminated in somalia to the point where they have to seek refuge in other countries.
That is not true. I know many Somali Bantus. They do not have much of any kind of a race problem in Somalia. Their biggest problem is the stigma of slavery since Somalis wer enever slaves and never got involved in slavery. However,like every other Africans, Somalis were kidnapped and brought here as slaves.
DISASTER LOOMS wrote:
<quoted text>somalis also have an insulting word for aa, that i can't think of, but its my understanding that they use to all the time.
That is because "aa's" have a slave mentality and Somalis do not have such.

DISASTER LOOMS wrote:
<quoted text>and they also call aa the n-word as though they were white - pretty amazing don't you think?
Somalis do not consider themselves to be n-words. They are Africans and Arabs but obviously not n-words in the usual meaning of the word. So stop thinking ou are an n-word and you will not have a problem. I am not an n-word. So, I have no problems at all with Somalis or any other Muslims for that matter.
DISASTER LOOMS wrote:
<quoted text>the only africans i can say i really like are ethiopians, who have a very warm relationship with aa on the EC and atlanta.
I do not much like Ethiopians because they are n-words, although racially identical to Somalis. Plus, they are KKKristians. When Ethiopians are Muslims, they are cool, but not when they are KKKristians.

DISASTER LOOMS wrote:
<quoted text>other afro-descendants in the americans get long with aa just fine, on the EC, even when they speak spanish.
the african immigrant population is growing fast. it'll be interesting if we see more african style tribalism cuz of that.
Heck, it is suicide to try to isolate ourselves from other Africans. We are too small of a part of the overall African Nation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min flack 1,578,745
Cavebeasts of Topix 13 min Paul 20
I'm not white but are blacks really this stupid... 42 min Dumbowners 20
News On Twitter, Trump accuses blacks of racism thre... 43 min youll shoot your ... 60
I have token white friends. 46 min KIP 29
I'm opening up a 'custom' rope store. For all y... 1 hr Paul 7
I need proof that the Ancient Egyptians Were No... (Oct '07) 1 hr dreamhunk 34,730
Baltimore/Ferguson vs. Charlottesville 4 hr a jig is a tool 51
Why Are White People On A Black Forum? 4 hr a jig is a tool 18
What the 6,000 man White Nationalist rally mean... 10 hr wild bill 53
More from around the web