Why do very few black women like to e...

Why do very few black women like to exercise?

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
archer29

West Palm Beach, FL

#1 Nov 2, 2010
Why are black women against exercising and taking care of their bodies? I go to the gym twice per week and rarely see any of them there? Is it because they dont want to mess up their weaves?

“Hey girrrrrl”

Since: Oct 10

Austin, TX

#2 Nov 2, 2010
I've seen fit Jamaican women. With nice abs too.

White November
Level 1

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#3 Nov 2, 2010
archer29 wrote:
Why are black women against exercising and taking care of their bodies? I go to the gym twice per week and rarely see any of them there? Is it because they dont want to mess up their weaves?
lol actually whenever I mention doing anything physical like that they say they will mess up their hair. But we usually sweat a lot during sex so I don't see the difference.

I imagine bw with natural hair wouldn't mind as much. One girl I was with had it and she was the one who exercised so you are probably right.

White November
Level 1

Location hidden

#4 Nov 2, 2010
Ilikehugs wrote:
I've seen fit Jamaican women. With nice abs too.
Women shouldn't have abs. Women are supposed to be soft and have some fat on them.

“Hey girrrrrl”

Since: Oct 10

Austin, TX

#5 Nov 2, 2010
White November wrote:
<quoted text>
Women shouldn't have abs. Women are supposed to be soft and have some fat on them.
Well if a black woman keeps in shape her abs are more prominent because her darker skin hues make it more readily apparent. Shape enhancer and all that. My ex partook of a combat training class and it gave her a defined tummy.
Oh Yeah

Glen Burnie, MD

#6 Nov 2, 2010
archer29 wrote:
I think black women avoid gyms because of the lice epidemic and crabs.

“reppin' dat 2up 2 down”

Since: Sep 07

Va

#7 Nov 2, 2010
That's why I make sure to take long walks. I love walking, my roommate uses her car to sometimes drive her car to class although she lives on campus. That's very unhealthy.

“reppin' dat 2up 2 down”

Since: Sep 07

Va

#8 Nov 2, 2010
Also I don't think many black women are taught the importance of exercise.

“Love”

Level 1

Since: Sep 09

Beach Bunny <3

#10 Nov 2, 2010
archer29 wrote:
I live down the street from my college, I exercise there, and my apartment complex has a private gym I use.

I took an aerobics class with 5 other bw and one black Guy, the dance class before mine is full of fit, dance majors and most of the jazz dancers are black females.

I suggest you get out more. I hate public gyms.

White November
Level 1

Location hidden

#11 Nov 2, 2010
Ilikehugs wrote:
<quoted text>
Well if a black woman keeps in shape her abs are more prominent because her darker skin hues make it more readily apparent. Shape enhancer and all that. My ex partook of a combat training class and it gave her a defined tummy.
I guess it just depends on what you like. But abs mean low body fat % and I think a woman should have at least some fat on her.

“Love”

Level 1

Since: Sep 09

Beach Bunny <3

#12 Nov 2, 2010
archer29 wrote:
Also, not sure where you live, but most black women these days don't even seem to have weaves. In Socal there are tons with natural hair in many textures, myself included. I hate when people act like all bw are really the stereotype.
Candice

Durham, NC

#13 Apr 11, 2011
Black women (and native american and latinas) naturally have beautiful bodies as opposed to some white women who have to try harder to keep from falling apart by the age of 30 years old. Also most Black Women Don't wear weaves and aren't always afraid of "messing up" their natrually beautiful hair. Black women also had the common sense enough to realize that you can excercise and get in shape at home or at the park instead of spending money that they can use to take care of themselves and their families on a gym membership. I am a black woman in my early 30's who has two kids after being married and I ALWAYS kept myself in great shape. I do have flat, toned abs as well as a lean, curvey body because I can excercise at any time in the comfort of my own home. I also live an active life and dance salsa, merengue and bachata when I go out on certain weekends which keeps me in shape. If I can't get out, as a single mom I stay home and dance with my 2 sons. I also know black women who have and have not given birth and they are in the greatest shape of their lives because they take the time to excercise at home or in whatever creative way they can think of to get the job done. It's not always about going to the gym....it's about finding a creative way to keep you body in shape in the way the works best for you. I also know black women who are in their 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's who take great care of their skin and look at least 10 to 30 years younger than their age. This is also partly because of the natural melanin that Black Women are Blessed to have which keeps them from wrinkling up like an old prune at a young age. Don't Hate on Black Women.....Appreciate Black Women's Timeless Beauty!
Candice

Durham, NC

#14 Apr 11, 2011
Black women (and native american and latinas) naturally have beautiful bodies as opposed to some certain women who have to try harder to keep from falling apart by the age of 30 years old. Also most Black Women Don't wear weaves and aren't always afraid of "messing up" their naturally beautiful hair. Black women also had the common sense enough to realize that you can excercise and get in shape at home or at the park instead of spending money that they can use to take care of themselves and their families on a gym membership. I am a black woman in my early 30's who has two kids after being married and I ALWAYS kept myself in great shape. I do have flat, toned abs as well as a lean, curvy body because I can excercise at any time in the comfort of my own home. I also live an active life and dance salsa, merengue and bachata when I go out on certain weekends which keeps me in shape. If I can't get out, as a Single Mom I stay home and dance with my 2 sons. I also know black women who Have and have not given birth and they are in the greatest shape of their lives because they take the time to excercise at home or in whatever creative way they can think of to get the job done. It's not always about going to the gym....it's about finding a creative way to keep your body in shape in the way the works best for you. I also know black women who are in their 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's who take great care of their skin and look at least 10 to 30 years younger than their age. This is also partly because of the natural melanin that Black Women are Blessed to have which keeps them from wrinkling up like an old prune at a young age. Don't Hate on Black Women.....Appreciate Black Women's Timeless Beauty!

Level 1

Since: Aug 09

United States

#15 Apr 11, 2011
I hate going to any gym I exercise at home!
Iluvwhitewomen

New York, NY

#16 Apr 11, 2011
I see a few black women when I go to the gym but I see larger amount getting into boxing or kickboxing. It could be price or the fun factor.
Tina

Hyattsville, MD

#17 Dec 25, 2011
Well, I exercise regularly but I agree most black women don't, which is a shame. They don't want to invest in themselves physically. I guess they think it won't pay off, but I know that's quite the contrary. I'm fit and in shape and reap lot of benefits for it in all areas of my life.
auntie bee

Mount Vernon, IA

#18 Dec 25, 2011
because nowdays chickens come preplucked, cutup and packaged, saves alot of runnin down.
laqjsha

La Mesa, CA

#19 Dec 25, 2011
when i get my kfc i runs instead of paying. dat helping my cardiovascular system. i eats it while i bees on the run .my tummy be tight yo
BUCKETHAID

Reisterstown, MD

#20 Dec 25, 2011
BW need a reason to stop eating 24-7 & exercise.

"I met a rich man today. He said that if I lost 150lbs he would marry me & take me away to his mansion in Jamaica!!!"

To be fair, BW have it tough. Their body type doesn't lend itself to being slim after a certain age. Once the pounds are piled on, you have to work EXTREMELY hard to get rid of it.

The good thing is BM are "chubby chasers."

I like a good-looking, busty (real) black girl with a nice apple bottom right BEFORE she has kids. If she is smart, classy & sophisticated that is a BIG PLUS.

A lot of BW hate to walk. Even a few blocks. Wait at a bus stop for 25 minutes to go just down the street.

“Cardinals-World Series :}”

Level 4

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#21 Dec 25, 2011
Because some are high maintanence and don't want to mess up their perms or weaves. Doesn't mean they're lazy. I'm natural so idc if I get my hair wet. I only see natural bw working out 9 times out of 10. I've always had a good shape and never had to go to the gym gym but I like to run early in the morning and do yoga at night before I shower. Most bw where I live aren't fat. I guess it depends where you live. If you live in a ghetto ass city you probably won't see hoodrats of any race running lmao

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KIR SUCKA: Is it me or is Justin Beiber such a... 2 min Mick 5
The Life Of A Black Walfare Queen 4 min LEE LOOK LIKE A T... 92
News Earl Persip III announces run for Pittsfield Ci... 6 min Paul Kersey 6
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Joy 1,535,601
black men- you are losing your women to your wo... (Jun '15) 8 min Tony P 189
This young black man is NOT sure what to do any... 8 min Mick 3
Confession Time: I hate homeless people 10 min Jehovah witness 45
HA HA HA! Trump cuts $1.7 TRILLION in welfare! 25 min Angel 162
Why are black men so thirsty for white women? 33 min 2 Dogs 58
Political Correctness Is Dangerous 3 hr Big Daddy 40