Blonde, Blue-Eyed Brit with the DNA of an African

Posted in the African-American Forum

“Not African, we're Orginal!”

Since: Sep 08

The World

#1 Oct 3, 2008
Seven men from the North of England sharing Revis as their surname can trace their DNA to Africa. Blonde (though now mostly bald and gray) and blue-eyed John Revis is one of them. After tracing his family history to the U.S. and England, he donated a DNA sample to Leicester University. Researchers found that portions of his Y chromosome could be linked to Africa.

John Revis:

It was a shock to find out that, because I was so blond and blue-eyed when I was younger, people thought I was Nordic or German.

But the researchers said that if my DNA were examined then people would assume they were looking at a North African man.

I suspect there must have been some big Berber tribesman who came to Britain with the Romans and spread his seed all over Yorkshire.

Before you gasp, have a look at these images of the Berber people at the William Coupon Gallery. It is easy to see that most if not all could pass as white. Also, African slaves arrived in Europe during Roman Times around 1800 years ago allowing plenty of time for population admixture.

Mr. Revis, however, might be just a tad confused. According to the King et al. study published in the European Journal of Human Genetics, Mr. Revis actually has an hgA1 Y chromosome that has a West African origin. Of 18 Yorkshire men who have the Revis surname, seven have the same chromosome and their most recent common ancestor lived in Yorkshire in the 18th century.

The researchers conclude:

Our findings represent the first genetic evidence of Africans among ‘indigenous’ British, and emphasize the complexity of human migration history as well as the pitfalls of assigning geographical origin from Y-chromosomal haplotypes.

Statements like this one made by Mr. Revis’s wife is just plain silly in light of the fact the environment and culture in which you grew up and live determine much of the food you like to eat and what you like to do.

I can hardly believe it. John has always seemed very English to me. He likes his roast beef and Yorkshire pudding on a Sunday. He has never asked me to cook anything unusual. My friends think our news is hilarious.

The closest John ever came to the traditional Berber life was when he went camping with the Scouts. I don’t think we’ve been in a tent since we got married.

I, on the other hand, do not like Yorkshire pudding. Is that because I am genetically Chinese or because I grew up in California? Ponder that!

This is London, January 27, 2007

http://www.geneticsandhealth.com/2007/01/29/b...
William

Blythewood, SC

#2 Oct 3, 2008
Kobena wrote:
Seven men from the North of England sharing Revis as their surname can trace their DNA to Africa. Blonde (though now mostly bald and gray) and blue-eyed John Revis is one of them. After tracing his family history to the U.S. and England, he donated a DNA sample to Leicester University. Researchers found that portions of his Y chromosome could be linked to Africa.
John Revis:
It was a shock to find out that, because I was so blond and blue-eyed when I was younger, people thought I was Nordic or German.
But the researchers said that if my DNA were examined then people would assume they were looking at a North African man.
I suspect there must have been some big Berber tribesman who came to Britain with the Romans and spread his seed all over Yorkshire.
Before you gasp, have a look at these images of the Berber people at the William Coupon Gallery. It is easy to see that most if not all could pass as white. Also, African slaves arrived in Europe during Roman Times around 1800 years ago allowing plenty of time for population admixture.
Mr. Revis, however, might be just a tad confused. According to the King et al. study published in the European Journal of Human Genetics, Mr. Revis actually has an hgA1 Y chromosome that has a West African origin. Of 18 Yorkshire men who have the Revis surname, seven have the same chromosome and their most recent common ancestor lived in Yorkshire in the 18th century.
Our findings represent the first genetic evidence of Africans among ‘indigenous’ British, and emphasize the complexity of human migration history as well as the pitfalls of assigning geographical origin from Y-chromosomal haplotypes.
Statements like this one made by Mr. Revis’s wife is just plain silly in light of the fact the environment and culture in which you grew up and live determine much of the food you like to eat and what you like to do.
I can hardly believe it. John has always seemed very English to me. He likes his roast beef and Yorkshire pudding on a Sunday. He has never asked me to cook anything unusual. My friends think our news is hilarious.
The closest John ever came to the traditional Berber life was when he went camping with the Scouts. I don’t think we’ve been in a tent since we got married.
I, on the other hand, do not like Yorkshire pudding. Is that because I am genetically Chinese or because I grew up in California? Ponder that!
OOOH! Im gonna find some black blood in me and when they start handing out reparations ILL be first in line with you cuz. IM startin to tap dance already. LOL

Level 5

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#3 Oct 3, 2008
Kobena wrote:
John Revis:
Why is any of this surprising? It's really much a do about nothing. Berbers carrying E3b1 did make it to Spain where they mixed with Iberians and they definitely had contacts with Britain. besides many in Southern Europe especially in Greece carry this gene. This is mostly hype over the term "African"...in this case it doeasn't automatically imply Black.
Partypooper

Beverly, MA

#4 Oct 3, 2008
Who the hell cares?
ex con

Cary, NC

#5 Oct 3, 2008
Garrig wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is any of this surprising? It's really much a do about nothing. Berbers carrying E3b1 did make it to Spain where they mixed with Iberians and they definitely had contacts with Britain. besides many in Southern Europe especially in Greece carry this gene. This is mostly hype over the term "African"...in this case it doeasn't automatically imply Black.
Mr. Revis, however, might be just a tad confused. According to the King et al. study published in the European Journal of Human Genetics, Mr. Revis actually has an hgA1 Y chromosome that has a West African origin. Of 18 Yorkshire men who have the Revis surname, seven have the same chromosome and their most recent common ancestor lived in Yorkshire in the 18th century

In case you missed it. My mother is half Black. i don't see it as something to be ashamed of. i run into you on a lot of threads like this. Are you only out to debunk and discredit anything to do with Blacks? I personally am repulsed by most Afrocentric claims, but where truth shines, I don't try to close it out.

United States

#6 Oct 3, 2008
I don't find it surprising my husband has blonde hair and blue eyes and he's black. I know people are going to try and clown but it's the truth

Level 5

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#7 Oct 3, 2008
ex con wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Revis, however, might be just a tad confused. According to the King et al. study published in the European Journal of Human Genetics, Mr. Revis actually has an hgA1 Y chromosome that has a West African origin. Of 18 Yorkshire men who have the Revis surname, seven have the same chromosome and their most recent common ancestor lived in Yorkshire in the 18th century
In case you missed it. My mother is half Black. i don't see it as something to be ashamed of. i run into you on a lot of threads like this. Are you only out to debunk and discredit anything to do with Blacks? I personally am repulsed by most Afrocentric claims, but where truth shines, I don't try to close it out.
Well if if its hgA1 than thats different. But the truth is there is an average of 2% sub saharan Blood in Europe which increases a bit toward the South. And I am not at all ashamed to be Black but I ashamed to see Blacks so desparate for recognition that will make outlandish and irresponsible claims. I also jump on Whites when they are wrong as well if you notice, as on the Anglo Saxon thread
William

Blythewood, SC

#8 Oct 3, 2008
Garrig wrote:
<quoted text>
Well if if its hgA1 than thats different. But the truth is there is an average of 2% sub saharan Blood in Europe which increases a bit toward the South. And I am not at all ashamed to be Black but I ashamed to see Blacks so desparate for recognition that will make outlandish and irresponsible claims. I also jump on Whites when they are wrong as well if you notice, as on the Anglo Saxon thread
Thats true. Black people seem to hate us on one hand but want some sort of validation or recognition on the other. We cant be blamed for being confused. Im frankly, sometimes afraid to talk to black people I dont know for fear of something I say being turned into something completly opposite.
ex con

Cary, NC

#9 Oct 3, 2008
William wrote:
<quoted text>Thats true. Black people seem to hate us on one hand but want some sort of validation or recognition on the other. We cant be blamed for being confused. Im frankly, sometimes afraid to talk to black people I dont know for fear of something I say being turned into something completly opposite.
I understand where you are coming from, but there is also division within the Black race. Some mainstream Blacks shy away from the so called "ghetto" Blacks. They are not all the same, just as Whites are not.
ex con

Cary, NC

#10 Oct 3, 2008
Garrig wrote:
<quoted text>
True, point taken.
Mr Giblets

Spain

#11 Oct 3, 2008
as there are Roman graves in Britain of soldiers who were born as far away as Syria, Serbia, and North Africa, and who married local women, this is barely even news. The Romans were in North Africa from around 250 BC. The army recruited from all parts of the empire.

“Not African, we're Orginal!”

The World

#12 Oct 3, 2008
Partypooper wrote:
Who the hell cares?
I care because 'Luke, I am your father'.
KIP

San Francisco, CA

#13 Oct 3, 2008
William wrote:
<quoted text>OOOH! Im gonna find some black blood in me and when they start handing out reparations ILL be first in line with you cuz. IM startin to tap dance already. LOL
What a shame.

Someone writes an insightful post on genealogy and genetic lineage and some idiot country bumpkin from bucktooth, South Carolina injects a version of homegrown racist foolishness over reparations.

This is why it's probably best to keep serious topics away from stupid people. Their heads tend to explode.
William

Blythewood, SC

#14 Oct 3, 2008
KIP wrote:
<quoted text>
What a shame.
Someone writes an insightful post on genealogy and genetic lineage and some idiot country bumpkin from bucktooth, South Carolina injects a version of homegrown racist foolishness over reparations.
This is why it's probably best to keep serious topics away from stupid people. Their heads tend to explode.
Oh lighten up. Inner comic trying to come out. HEY. Im not from Bucktooth.
travis vincennes

Elk Grove Village, IL

#15 Oct 3, 2008
Revis can only trace his paternal line in his native england to approx. the year 1800, which is pretty unprecendented for England, where you routinely have baptismal records going back to well past the early 1500`s for most families.

Revis is `Hg A1` which is `black african`, not `Berber- E3b` and its also the only human Hg shared by humans and primates, as Hg A is also found in Chimpanzee`s.
That means his ancestor is a black african, not a north african caucasian.

Since Revis can only take his family lineage back to around 1800, which also happens to be the same time african salvery was banned in britain, and all african slaves in britain set free... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_Trade_Act
..this is not really all that mysterious.

1/ there are no shortage of current blacks in England and enlish settled regions with the last name of `Revis`, showing that one or more Revis`s either owned slaves who took the name, or these Revis`s were certainly involved in slavery in some manner.

2/ in England, a nation of old baptismal records, this particular A1 Hg `Revis` cannot find any record of his family line ever existing in Britain until the exact, recent time period that slavery was eliminated in Britain, and mullatos and blacks would have been free to openly intermarry.

3/ Hg `A` would be most common among `San` populations who would have been the first sold off by the Bantu`s, before they
began eslaving their fellow (E3a) Bantu, like
those slave descendents that you find in North America. This A1 finding would not be surprising if his ancestor was an early enslaved african who carried the San associated Hg A. There were not many San left in West Africa by the time of the Portugese first arrival, as they had been wiped out by the Bantu, and the remaining San slaves were rapidly sold to the Portugese early on.

Thus, a lot more of the african Diaspora has Hg E3b than A, simply because the region slaves were sold from didnt have many SAN left at that time, and the Bantus had a much easier time grabbing other Bantus to sell. Since this Revis ancestor ended up in Britain, he didnt follow the route taht the other 99% of african slaves took to bondage, and would be very likely to have been one of the early San.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Erectile Dysfunction Disproportionately Affects... (May '13) 3 min BWEFocused 36
Black men; Please stop hitting on us white girls! (May '13) 4 min Smh 979
Somali Women: You Are Wrong About Bad Features ... 5 min Rock 164
Why do blacks claim to be the true Israelites? ... (May '11) 7 min Ben YISRAEL 6,406
Even Rapper Drake, Called East African Women, "... 13 min ethiopiangirl1 188
Zambian people 23 min Hirfh 1
White Crime: Few Comments (Sep '09) 29 min Michele 1,894
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 1 hr African AE 24,644
Are white women attracted to black men? (Aug '06) 3 hr Masud_S_Hoghughi__ 121,035
•••
Ashburn Dating

more search filters

less search filters

African-American People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••