Why do people say that light skinned ...

Why do people say that light skinned blacks are not pure black?

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 36
Next Last

Since: Mar 07

Piscataway, NJ

#1 Mar 4, 2007
You can be dark-skinned and be mixed.

“"Everything Must Change"”

Since: Dec 06

Southern Indiana

#2 Mar 4, 2007
cause they stupid!

“Das raht!”

Level 3

Location hidden

#3 Mar 5, 2007
emergence wrote:
You can be dark-skinned and be mixed.
You can also be light-skinned and not be able to trace back to you "european" roots.

“The Advocate”

Cincy

#4 Mar 5, 2007
Mena Marlowe wrote:
cause they stupid!
I've never heard it, but this would be the reason.

“Das raht!”

Level 3

Location hidden

#5 Mar 5, 2007
MrDarryl wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never heard it, but this would be the reason.
:-)
Mocha

Washington, DC

#6 Mar 5, 2007
First of all, I want to introduce myself...I didn't in that last thread and didn't want to be rude! I go by Mocha, Im a newbie and in college currently.:)

What??? I really dont know. I'm guessing that came from slavery.Cause alot of white men were raping our women...but I know there are some light skinned africans. But most people from other countries assume that black americans are light skinned-from our world wide media. I really can't stand that either, I get sick of people asking me where I am from. I do get offended by that to. I'm like "New York"...(thats all you need to know...lol)

“Das raht!”

Level 3

Location hidden

#7 Mar 6, 2007
Mocha wrote:
First of all, I want to introduce myself...I didn't in that last thread and didn't want to be rude! I go by Mocha, Im a newbie and in college currently.:)
What??? I really dont know. I'm guessing that came from slavery.Cause alot of white men were raping our women...but I know there are some light skinned africans. But most people from other countries assume that black americans are light skinned-from our world wide media. I really can't stand that either, I get sick of people asking me where I am from. I do get offended by that to. I'm like "New York"...(thats all you need to know...lol)
Do you look mixed, or have exotic features? I get asked where I'm from when people can hear my accent. You get asked that just because of how you look?
King Ahzi

Dublin, CA

#8 Mar 7, 2007
I`m Nigerian-American and people will never believe me when I say my parents are from africa because my hair is curlier than the avg blackman ( ican rock the curls with no s-curl produt or some ill 360 dips), my jaw structure is really defined for a brotha, and I`m caramel. i always get that same stuff " yo dog u aint nigerian man, you must be mixed down the line with some french or something" LOL. Don`t believe the European stereotype of what africans are supposed to look like cuz remember that since we are the original race are look comes much more in a variety beacuse we had more time to develop diffent skin tones and physical features due to the many different regions of africa. Whites and Asians look more similar amongst themselves becasue they haven`t been on this earth as long. We carry the gene to make an asian or white person, they only carry thier genes and the african gene not all three. We are the kings of the earth and that`s why they hate. MUCH LOVE MY BLACK FOLKS

Since: Mar 07

Piscataway, NJ

#10 Mar 7, 2007
Kelvyn wrote:
Don`t believe the European stereotype of what africans are supposed to look like cuz remember that since we are the original race are look comes much more in a variety beacuse we had more time to develop diffent skin tones and physical features due to the many different regions of africa. Whites and Asians look more similar amongst themselves becasue they haven`t been on this earth as long. We carry the gene to make an asian or white person, they only carry thier genes and the african gene not all three. We are the kings of the earth and that`s why they hate. MUCH LOVE MY BLACK FOLKS
Can you explain what you mean?
beelojfather

UK

#12 Mar 13, 2007
i am little late.
kelvyn you put too much "european cream" in your self description.light skinned africans do not look like you.

i need to add my two cents too.
light skinned africans with blue eyes have always existed. african americans know this but they love to believe there is a difference when convenient. my mother is about the same shade as jasmine guy with blue eyes.my grand dad shares the same features and he has ginger hair my brother also. we have a nephew who is albino. iam the only one dark skinned.my mom is collecting a dollar from each person who assumes she is half white .

i can back this up with pictures
King Ahzi

Dublin, CA

#13 Mar 14, 2007
beelojfather wrote:
i am little late.
kelvyn you put too much "european cream" in your self description.light skinned africans do not look like you.
i need to add my two cents too.
light skinned africans with blue eyes have always existed. african americans know this but they love to believe there is a difference when convenient. my mother is about the same shade as jasmine guy with blue eyes.my grand dad shares the same features and he has ginger hair my brother also. we have a nephew who is albino. iam the only one dark skinned.my mom is collecting a dollar from each person who assumes she is half white .
i can back this up with pictures
Read my post one more time... The reason why in American black society there is a little discrimination towards ligh skined brothas and sistas is because they usally are mixed in most cases and alot of black americans don`t know that thier are naturally fair skined blacks. They are just blind to that fact because the white american and spaniards in latin america wanted to divide so they would say to blacks " that light skin guy aint black, he`s one of us whites". Why do you think creoles also had slaves in the carribbean?(Puerto Rico, Domincan Republic, and Aruba) Because they were told that they were differnet and they were easily more accepted into the white society compared to dark skinned blacks. Fast FWD to the 1960`s and beyond when people start to wise up, they realize the past and what happened, then of course A dark skinned person can say that a light skined person is not fully black cuz it`s true in most cases. You live in the UK wre thier is a big Nigerian population and i`m sure you have seen plenty of light skinned Africans. But I live in America their is a much bigger black population than the UK but the majority of blacks out here have history of slavery unlike the UK. Black people in the UK have a greater knowledge of thier own history because they are usually Africans and decsedants of slaves. So you gotta understand why a Brotha from America who maybe is not the most knowledgeable of his own self would say that a lightskinned cat aint one of them. And I have twin aunts who are also Albino.
King Ahzi

Dublin, CA

#14 Mar 14, 2007
I meant to say: "Africans decsedants and not of slaves".
Aicha

Clarkston, MI

#15 Mar 22, 2007
They say that because there is a sterotype that
All blacks look alike (dark skin,dark eyes,and dark hair). But we as s ppl need to stop these stertypes. I am black and I have grey eyes every where I go...people are ask me are you mixed? Many Americans don't know that there are tribes in Africa that have grey eyes,"good hair",and are light.
whit van whinkle

United States

#16 Jan 15, 2008
I dont think there should be any type of half or quarters if yourew black youre black if youre white youre white etc. etc.
AP Gifts

AOL

#17 Jan 21, 2008
APGifts

AOL

#18 Jan 21, 2008

“NORTH CACK (NIGERIAN KING)”

Level 1

Since: Jan 08

NC

#19 Jan 21, 2008
King Ahzi wrote:
I`m Nigerian-American and people will never believe me when I say my parents are from africa because my hair is curlier than the avg blackman ( ican rock the curls with no s-curl produt or some ill 360 dips), my jaw structure is really defined for a brotha, and I`m caramel. i always get that same stuff " yo dog u aint nigerian man, you must be mixed down the line with some french or something" LOL. Don`t believe the European stereotype of what africans are supposed to look like cuz remember that since we are the original race are look comes much more in a variety beacuse we had more time to develop diffent skin tones and physical features due to the many different regions of africa. Whites and Asians look more similar amongst themselves becasue they haven`t been on this earth as long. We carry the gene to make an asian or white person, they only carry thier genes and the african gene not all three. We are the kings of the earth and that`s why they hate. MUCH LOVE MY BLACK FOLKS
I FELL YOU MY BROTHA... I MYSELF AM NIGERIAN... AND I GET THAT ALL THE TIME... I CAN'T BE AFRICAN BECAUSE THE WAY I LOOK... THEY JUST THINK GOOD LOOKING BROTHA'S OR SISTA'S CAN'T BE GOOD LOOKING AND FROM AFRICA! YOU HAVE TO BE DARK AND UGLY... SO IT SHOCKS THEM! STAY STRONG MY BROTHA!
kemi

Taunton, UK

#20 Jan 21, 2008
So what would people call the fulani or Igbo people of Nigeria, who can be very ligh-skin? People know so little about Africa and its diversity.

There are two little, brothers at my son's school, who happen to be from the Edo tribe in Mid-west Nigeria. They just happen to be very fair, so guess to some people they will not be class as "true" blacks or Africans because of their complexions, even though they have no admixture in them.

“reppin' dat 2up 2 down”

Since: Sep 07

Va

#21 Jan 21, 2008
If your light skinned then you are not pure black.The same goes for African Americans who are Caramel, and Chocolate brown.You have to understand that during slavery all of our ancestors were raped so we could breed different skin tones of African Americans.Go and google up the Willie Lynch letter, that'll explain what Im trying to say.

“reppin' dat 2up 2 down”

Since: Sep 07

Va

#22 Jan 21, 2008
NORTH CRACK wrote:
<quoted text>
I FELL YOU MY BROTHA... I MYSELF AM NIGERIAN... AND I GET THAT ALL THE TIME... I CAN'T BE AFRICAN BECAUSE THE WAY I LOOK... THEY JUST THINK GOOD LOOKING BROTHA'S OR SISTA'S CAN'T BE GOOD LOOKING AND FROM AFRICA! YOU HAVE TO BE DARK AND UGLY... SO IT SHOCKS THEM! STAY STRONG MY BROTHA!
You do look kinda handsome.But Ive seen good looking black men from Jamaica, Trinadad, and from other countries too.Don't feed into the stupid stereotypes that some people have.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 36
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bernie Sanders gaining momentum on Hillary! 6 min T-BOS 20
How black people lost Egypt. ------------------... 19 min Skiff Azlaan 2
I do not like black men 26 min Skiff Azlaan 14
Hillary Clinton's Racist Hero 32 min TheMaskedTerror 1
Ghana bans skin bleaching cream 35 min Skiff Azlaan 1
"American Sniper" Chris Kyle=Liar 36 min KIP 60
News Dueling groups to rally at Confederate landmark 38 min barefoot2626 1,478
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 57 min You knew 134,279
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 1 hr TranshumanX 44,878
McDonald's to open restaurants run by robots 3 hr u Make Me Laugh 58