why do american black people have eur...
viking

Denmark

#41 Mar 24, 2010
BlackPrincesa wrote:
<quoted text>
No... out of respect for OUR ancestors who had to fight and die to give us, as Black Americans, the right to live and flourish here in this country... We were given europeans names immediately, so these names have been in our families for hundreds of years... For example, my great great great grandfather was a slave named Smith... I would want to honor what he sacrificed for... the right for me to be considered an American today... Would it be great to have our original African names? Yes!...Unfortunately, the reality is that most of us cannot even trace our ancestry back to Africa because our ancestors were stripped of their identities... So, the names they were given as slaves are all we have to go on... Hell naw, I don't want to honor White people!!!
you don't want to honour white people but then you have a name like nicole cameron,lol,speak of hyocrisy

“PREGNANT AND STILL A QTGIRL”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#42 Mar 24, 2010
viking wrote:
<quoted text>
you don't lok white
Thank God !

Location hidden

#43 Mar 24, 2010
Beauty_Jo wrote:
<quoted text>Your very pretty! Creole people always look good lols my grandmother on my fathers side is Creole.
Thank you ! Shoot, what is her last name ? We might be cousins ;)

Since: Jan 10

United States

#44 Mar 24, 2010
viking wrote:
<quoted text>
do you have a african name or that not matter?
No I don't my mother let her mother (my German grandmother) name me right before she died. My grandmothers side of the family has the last name Knopf.
viking

Denmark

#45 Mar 24, 2010
qtgirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank God !
you claim to have the name of people you hate, so colorful, lool

white and proud

“From the mind of a...”

"STRONG Black sista!"

#46 Mar 24, 2010
viking wrote:
<quoted text>
you don't want to honour white people but then you have a name like nicole cameron,lol,speak of hyocrisy
You need to go back and read what I wrote... I basically saying that our ancestors suffered and died, more than giving us the right to those names ....

Location hidden

#47 Mar 24, 2010
viking wrote:
<quoted text>
by the way you have sambo lips and a groid jaw line, how can you descend from europeans? lol
How do you know my last name is European, you biatch ? Groid lol ? So I guess that makes you a Cockazoid right ? Cocka ! You see, I love these beautiful lips of mine and so do my man. Maybe you need to get yourself a man and lighten up !
viking

Denmark

#48 Mar 24, 2010
BlackPrincesa wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to go back and read what I wrote... I basically saying that our ancestors suffered and died, more than giving us the right to those names ....
there is alot in a name and your name says alot about you, and when i saw those american black people on news the other day with european names, i could not sto laughing, i am not exposed to american history nor consider slavery a excuse for any name change or intermarriage because i am a product of danish and vascos but honestly it is as funny as a african bush man having a danish name and surname
if you are black,you ought to have a black/africa name/surname, it just makes justice to be what you are,because you can not blame everything for slavery and yet die with a tombstone written european name, slavery has ended and the world is more technologically aware,it is not only funny but it is sad lol

United States

#49 Mar 24, 2010
qtgirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you ! Shoot, what is her last name ? We might be cousins ;)
I don't know what he is talking about you got nice lips (no homo). Lols I would not be surprised she was born and raised in New Orleans and my dad was born there too. I still got family down there, her maiden name is Thomas.

United States

#50 Mar 24, 2010
^^her same name is my favorite color, Green lols
groidsweresubmis sive

Salinas, CA

#51 Mar 24, 2010
BlackPrincesa wrote:
<quoted text>
No... out of respect for OUR ancestors who had to fight and die to give us, as Black Americans, the right to live and flourish here in this country... We were given europeans names immediately, so these names have been in our families for hundreds of years... For example, my great great great grandfather was a slave named Smith... I would want to honor what he sacrificed for... the right for me to be considered an American today... Would it be great to have our original African names? Yes!...Unfortunately, the reality is that most of us cannot even trace our ancestry back to Africa because our ancestors were stripped of their identities... So, the names they were given as slaves are all we have to go on... Hell naw, I don't want to honor White people!!!
LoL @ blacks fighting for freedom....more like FreeDumm!

If it werent for some Whites during the Mid 1800's blacks might still be slaves!!!

United States

#52 Mar 24, 2010
Beauty_Jo wrote:
^^her same name is my favorite color, Green lols
same = surname

Level 2

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#53 Mar 24, 2010
viking wrote:
<quoted text>
there is alot in a name and your name says alot about you, and when i saw those american black people on news the other day with european names, i could not sto laughing, i am not exposed to american history nor consider slavery a excuse for any name change or intermarriage because i am a product of danish and vascos but honestly it is as funny as a african bush man having a danish name and surname
if you are black,you ought to have a black/africa name/surname, it just makes justice to be what you are,because you can not blame everything for slavery and yet die with a tombstone written european name, slavery has ended and the world is more technologically aware,it is not only funny but it is sad lol
I never knew they were this dumb in Denmark,you mother must be soo embarrassed,lol

“May Allah Guide Mankind”

Level 6

Since: Mar 09

Jihad An-Nafs

#54 Mar 24, 2010
viking wrote:
<quoted text>
You must not get out much because in Europe, there are literally thousands of African brothers and sisters who have European names, in many African countries as well.
Here is a video of Africans who are in Africa and have European names.
In the video, they are just stating their names
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xi8co_preyno...

Level 6

Jihad An-Nafs

#55 Mar 24, 2010
Zimbobeauty wrote:
Read a book
I know right lol

Level 6

Jihad An-Nafs

#56 Mar 24, 2010
BlackPrincesa wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think there's anything wrong with giving your children African names though and not just ANY African name found on the internet but a beautiful African name with a beautiful meaning.

For example, my son's name is "Déméssé", which means "Destiny gave him to us". The language is "Goun", which is my wife's" monther tongue.

I could have given him my slave name but being a Panafrican militant, that was out of the question lol.

I don't think at my age (I am 26) it's necessary to change my name but as a parent, it was my responsibility to see to it that my son, who belongs to an emerging generation of neo-panafrican leaders, has an African name

Level 6

Jihad An-Nafs

#57 Mar 24, 2010
The downside to it is that I often have to correct Americans, both White and Black, when they f..k up the pronunciation lol Déméssé is pronounced " day may say and not demesse like "latrice" lol

“From the mind of a...”

"STRONG Black sista!"

#58 Mar 24, 2010
KemiSeba wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think there's anything wrong with giving your children African names though and not just ANY African name found on the internet but a beautiful African name with a beautiful meaning.
For example, my son's name is "Déméssé", which means "Destiny gave him to us". The language is "Goun", which is my wife's" monther tongue.
I could have given him my slave name but being a Panafrican militant, that was out of the question lol.
I don't think at my age (I am 26) it's necessary to change my name but as a parent, it was my responsibility to see to it that my son, who belongs to an emerging generation of neo-panafrican leaders, has an African name
I was dealing with surnames, but yes, I agree.. I am DEFINITELY in agreement as it concerns naming a child something that has meaning and significance... I plan to give my children beautiful African first names, but, unless I marry an African, they will proudly bear the surname of their father (which if he is AA, will likely be an European name!)...
Midnight Toker

United States

#59 Mar 24, 2010
qtgirl wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know my last name is European, you biatch ? Groid lol ? So I guess that makes you a Cockazoid right ? Cocka ! You see, I love these beautiful lips of mine and so do my man. Maybe you need to get yourself a man and lighten up !
If you are creole that means you have WHITE ancestry because creole are from French blood. Many French men came to the US and mated with black slave women during that period!

YOUR ARE JUST AS WHITE AS BLACK! Reality!

Level 6

Jihad An-Nafs

#61 Mar 24, 2010
BlackPrincesa wrote:
<quoted text>
I was dealing with surnames, but yes, I agree.. I am DEFINITELY in agreement as it concerns naming a child something that has meaning and significance... I plan to give my children beautiful African first names, but, unless I marry an African, they will proudly bear the surname of their father (which if he is AA, will likely be an European name!)...
Cosign sis, the surname is not the most important. It is the name by which people call you that is the most important, at least in my opinion. Everyone will call him "Déméssé" and he will know both the meaning and origin of the name.

He has my surname, it would have been a breach of tradition to have given him my wife's family name lol.

My unofficial African name is "Soukpéwé", which means "when the moon meets the sun" (same language as my son's name).

I'm happy to hear that your children will have beautiful African names :-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Grey Ghost 1,433,739
How To Get To Heaven When You Die 15 min Reverend Niglighter 9
Do Black Men likes Asian women? Be Honest please!! (Jun '08) 16 min DerekJ 1,227
Why do American Blacks think they're Egyptians? (Apr '12) 17 min KiloEcho 3,579
Post-debate, Clinton's wife still LOSING to Trump! 21 min Dying Hillary 2016 1
Berbers are not eurasian (Mar '11) 28 min Michel Montvert 233
Mall Shooter : Not a citizen but he voted in 3 ... 29 min KIP 10
MSNBC: Trump won 38 min dcool 123
IR at the walmart 40 min observer 92
Another brother shot 47 min Dan Snow 58
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 1 hr Real 49,014
Why did they Nuked Japan but not Germany??? 2 hr dcool 316
More from around the web