Suburban Blacks/Inner City Blacks...d...

Suburban Blacks/Inner City Blacks...don't like each other...why?

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Apr 07

Detroit (live in NYC now)

#1 Oct 13, 2008
Many Black people in the Inner City have claimed the title of "real" for themselves and have designated that most Black people in the suburbs think they are white.

Many black people in the suburbs have issues with inner city blacks because they feel they are not too interested in progress.

Both parties argue about what progress is, money, status and assimilation.
Both parties are "black" and have become two people separated by a common language.

(and the common language sometimes turns into an argument as well).

Three questions...
1.)Why?
2.)Can the separation be corrected?
3.)Does anyone see a need bring the two parties together?

“Live and let live!”

Since: May 08

Buffalo NY

#2 Oct 13, 2008
I do not feel that a black person living in the suburbs are less black than those that live in the city. I just think that those blacks that moved to the suburbs wanted to get away from the crime, and raise a family.

“Learn to love yourself first!!”

Since: Oct 07

Georgia Peach

#3 Oct 13, 2008
I dont think that they dont like each other, they just dont relate to each other. Many suburban blacks are more refined because they work in a professional environment with many different types of ppl. They know how blacks are viewed so they dont wont to be the stereotypical ghetto black person. Inner city black( some not all) think that keeping it real is being ghetto acting which isnt the truth at all. They feel that suburban blacks are sellouts and the truth is, they have worked hard to get somewhere, and they dont want to lose it because of their behavior
Jawga Boy

Canton, GA

#4 Oct 13, 2008
It's all about class envy, and class warfare.

Since: Apr 07

Detroit (live in NYC now)

#5 Oct 13, 2008
GirlPower wrote:
I dont think that they dont like each other, they just dont relate to each other. Many suburban blacks are more refined because they work in a professional environment with many different types of ppl. They know how blacks are viewed so they dont wont to be the stereotypical ghetto black person. Inner city black( some not all) think that keeping it real is being ghetto acting which isnt the truth at all. They feel that suburban blacks are sellouts and the truth is, they have worked hard to get somewhere, and they dont want to lose it because of their behavior
You honestly don't think they don't like each other?
I mean even inner city blacks who don't subscribe to the "ghetto acting" that you spoke of seem to sometimes feel that suburban blacks don't get what's real.
Many times suburban blacks are not up on "game", street or corporate, and this can cause some issues when dealing with those who do "get it".
Many suburban blacks assume that black people from the inner city have no class or not the same class they feel they have. Even if black people form the inner city have money, suburban blacks feel they do not know what to do with their money in some cases(though this is not a prominent view)...similar to an "old money vs. new money" ideology.

you agree?

“Learn to love yourself first!!”

Since: Oct 07

Georgia Peach

#6 Oct 13, 2008
Kaptan Solo wrote:
<quoted text>
You honestly don't think they don't like each other?
I mean even inner city blacks who don't subscribe to the "ghetto acting" that you spoke of seem to sometimes feel that suburban blacks don't get what's real.
Many times suburban blacks are not up on "game", street or corporate, and this can cause some issues when dealing with those who do "get it".
Many suburban blacks assume that black people from the inner city have no class or not the same class they feel they have. Even if black people form the inner city have money, suburban blacks feel they do not know what to do with their money in some cases(though this is not a prominent view)...similar to an "old money vs. new money" ideology.
you agree?
I didnt say that they dont like each other, in some cases they just dont relate to each other. I dont think it matters where you live or what you have when it comes to having a friendship with someone. Thats just my opinion
Jawga Boy

Canton, GA

#8 Oct 14, 2008
It's all about class envy, and class warfare.

No more, or no less....

Since: Jul 08

Racists Get Ignored!

#9 Oct 14, 2008
This is a media [email protected]! Almost every African-American who lives in the Suburbia has family in the Inner Cities, and vise versa, and they rarely hate one another because of it.

“Live and let live!”

Since: May 08

Buffalo NY

#11 Oct 14, 2008
LazlowX wrote:
This is a media [email protected]! Almost every African-American who lives in the Suburbia has family in the Inner Cities, and vise versa, and they rarely hate one another because of it.
I agree.
Jawga Boy

Canton, GA

#12 Oct 14, 2008
There are some of us in the "inner city" that doesn't associate with black trash also!

Ken Hamblin says......
"HAMBLIN: Black trash are the people who prey on us and then turn around and encourage us to sit here as intellectual wizards, film makers, columnists, talk show hosts, members of black organizations and talk about what whitey did to us. Now we talk about black people not getting a shot. I don't care what you say about white people; education is still free. And I was part of a generation that said we were going to take the schools from whitey because they couldn't teach us. Well, look at our schools today! Look at the S.A.T. scores. Look at the attitude: "Yo baby, you trying to be white! How come you don't talk right?" All of those things exclude you from the marketplace."
Bruhman

Hollywood, FL

#13 Oct 14, 2008
A lot of salient points here.
I tend to feel like most inner city blacks are jealous of their family members who've "made it". They try to bring suburban blacks down a peg by saying they "act white", or that they're "soft". The truth is, you can't interact with white people all day and be soft. The crap you take on a psychic and subliminal level in corporate America is worse than your typical "'hood figga" could understand, or endure.
The saddest thing to me is that, unlike other races, Black women seem to always be attracted to the most negative characteristics of Black males. If a man uses correct English, and has a job, he's unattractive to Black women. They all want the do-rag wearing "soldier" from the ghetto. I'll never get that.

“Ya....me too!”

Since: Aug 08

Marietta, GA

#14 Oct 14, 2008
You asked,

"Suburban Blacks/Inner City Blacks...don't like each other...why?"

The disaccordances have nothing to do with the people being "black", but everything to do with their financial "situation". Poor people and middle class people live different lifestyles, have different priorities, and set different goals for themselves. Period.
Jawga Boy

Canton, GA

#15 Oct 14, 2008
DroppedOut wrote:
You asked,
"Suburban Blacks/Inner City Blacks...don't like each other...why?"
The disaccordances have nothing to do with the people being "black", but everything to do with their financial "situation". Poor people and middle class people live different lifestyles, have different priorities, and set different goals for themselves. Period.
Like I said to start with, CLASS ENVY, is at the root!

It's all about the "educated, and the Uneducated"!

The chasm grows wider day by day!

“Ya....me too!”

Since: Aug 08

Marietta, GA

#16 Oct 14, 2008
Bruhman wrote:
.......
The saddest thing to me is that, unlike other races, Black women seem to always be attracted to the most negative characteristics of Black males. If a man uses correct English, and has a job, he's unattractive to Black women. They all want the do-rag wearing "soldier" from the ghetto. I'll never get that.
I feel what you are saying, and agree with you to a huge extent, but a lot of the times it's not all about the hood image. That's what you see on the outside. To some women, these "soldiers" are more suave, have better game, are more romantic, and just plain more attractive than "a nerdy black guy", or to tone down a bit, an educated black male..lol. I love educated black men, but there's a certain swagger that only a "soldier" has, and it can be quite appealing at times.

But in all honesty, the concept shouldn't be all that foreign. I mean really, how many brothers pass up educated, independent, self sufficient black women for gorgeous, stiletto hill wearing, big booty scarecrow brained woman? We're comparing apples to apples here....

“Ya....me too!”

Since: Aug 08

Marietta, GA

#17 Oct 14, 2008
Bruhman wrote:
A lot of salient points here.
I tend to feel like most inner city blacks are jealous of their family members who've "made it". They try to bring suburban blacks down a peg by saying they "act white", or that they're "soft". The truth is, you can't interact with white people all day and be soft. The crap you take on a psychic and subliminal level in corporate America is worse than your typical "'hood figga" could understand, or endure.
Btw, black people like that pi$$ me off. Even though they talk crap, their actions shout ENVY!
But that's characteristic of any hater....

“My Great Grandmother”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#18 Oct 14, 2008
What people truly call neighborhoods down here are outside of the inner city for the most part.

It is nothing spectacular for blacks to have big homes and/or yards the size of fields. The cost of living is relatively cheap.

We don't have a big problem with inner city people hating on suburban people... nor with people living in the country.

The only problems I have seem sometimes are with a few people coming out of the ghetto or projects, and that doesn't necessarily have to be in the inner city areas.

“My Great Grandmother”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#19 Oct 14, 2008
^^^ The only problems I have SEEN sometimes... ^^^

Since: Sep 08

Apo, AP

#20 Oct 14, 2008
I have some family when some, well a lot of us excel. A lot of my family are moving to the suburbs, those that don't want to are usually doing good and could move out there, but they are Elderly, but everyone in middle age doing fine except for a few that just love that hood mentality and don't want to progress. I remember coming home after technical training from Air Force on leave and my cousin wouldn't speak with me neither my cousin who became one of the head Chefs at the Marriott Hotel and my other cousin who just had his house built and married to beautiful black woman. Its just hatred out of not wanting to do anything, but get mad when we are all exceling futher than him and he is my oldest cousin who is in his thiries and I was like 21. My second oldest cousin is getting his life straight and doing college, because my Aunt always tried to push us to do better, but some of us don't listen and than end up not succeeding.
Bruhman

Hollywood, FL

#21 Oct 14, 2008
DroppedOut wrote:
<quoted text>
...
But in all honesty, the concept shouldn't be all that foreign. I mean really, how many brothers pass up educated, independent, self sufficient black women for gorgeous, stiletto hill wearing, big booty scarecrow brained woman? We're comparing apples to apples here....
I tend to agree with you. Men are usually more excited by the box than by the contents. As for me, I just recently had a situation where a girl who grew up in the neighborhood married this white guy. I saw her on Facebook and was like, "You were the prettiest girl our town ever produced," and she was genuinely surprised. She even told me she always felt ugly growing up, because none of the Black guys where we live ever asked for her number, or to take her out.
Where we grew up was like a 95% white community, and this girl wasn't wild and loose like the white girls; she was studious. Therefore, none of the handful of black guys ever tried to get at her. Most of us guys went on to HBCU's after high school, but she went to a major university, and met her husband.
I guess what I'm saying is we always keep the "good girls" in mind, but we take them for granted while we sow our wild oats.
BBA

Mount Airy, MD

#22 Oct 14, 2008
I have found that black folks from the hood have judged me solely on my mannerisms. The type of music I liked the way I spoke. So I tried to be more "black" even went as far as to try to be initiated into the bloods. It turned out it was a fake initiation shows how much they respected me. I have had struggles in my life and I try o give back to my community. The people tha call me white and say that a white person acting black is more whiter then me do nothing for the community and enforce the negative stereotypes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Italians are NOT White!!!! (Feb '12) 4 min Anonymous 6,235
Why do black people like claiming that us Mexic... (Jan '12) 22 min Phoenix Ascended 2,395
Why do BM like Trashy Poor Low Class WW/Non BW? (Aug '12) 29 min Phoenix Ascended 27
White women do not envy black women! (Dec '10) 32 min Phoenix Ascended 340
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 43 min Don Barros Serrano 43,529
News Confederate flag fan defends the stars & bars (Jun '15) 52 min Don Barros Serrano 266
To all asian women who like black men, what do ... (Mar '11) 1 hr luvher 397
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 1 hr Raada 133,312
MEANWHILE in white ppl news, child abuse, meth ... 10 hr Dana 65
The 1 drop rule means whites are not human 10 hr negash 39
More from around the web