First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Leading the Revolution”

Level 6

Since: Oct 09

United States

#62 Feb 14, 2013
I disagree there's a lot we can learn from Africa, not just from the cultural viewpoint. How about running and maintaining small businesses? How about believing what you're worth, and not settling for less? How about demanding more from their elected officials? How about self respect and self confidence? What about education? Most African immigrants come here and out pace every other group in education. I think we can learn a lot from our brothers!!

“Univ. of Texas-Med School!!! ”

Level 5

Since: Dec 12

Houston, TX

#63 Feb 14, 2013
dkanela wrote:
I disagree there's a lot we can learn from Africa, not just from the cultural viewpoint. How about running and maintaining small businesses? How about believing what you're worth, and not settling for less? How about demanding more from their elected officials? How about self respect and self confidence? What about education? Most African immigrants come here and out pace every other group in education. I think we can learn a lot from our brothers!!
"I don't take pride in anything that isn't Black American. I don't know why my ancestors were* sold to whites and I don't care, that culture is in the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean and it can stay there. In fact if you look at American Blacks in the late 60s there was a cultural shift. That was when my mother's generation started getting "African Fever", creating this bastardized patchwork of African culture and that is when things started getting bad. So I wouldn't recommend anything African to American Blacks, we were doing much better without it. "Negro" culture gave a lot to the diaspora, the United States, and even went as far to influence political activism in Asian nations. My face is all the connection to Africa I need.

^^^I agree with this quote!

Level 8

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#64 Feb 14, 2013
dkanela wrote:
I disagree there's a lot we can learn from Africa, not just from the cultural viewpoint. How about running and maintaining small businesses? How about believing what you're worth, and not settling for less? How about demanding more from their elected officials? How about self respect and self confidence? What about education? Most African immigrants come here and out pace every other group in education. I think we can learn a lot from our brothers!!
we can learn all that from ourselves. you should know the aa community wasn't always this dysfunctional. education use to important to aa. entrepreneurship was very important at one time. in fact 'black wallstreet' was wealthier in adjusted dollars than atlanta. and that was without all the athletes and entertainers.
and aa use to have a marriage rate slightly higher than whites and a divorce rate slightly lower all the way through the 1950s.

and the aa community was extremely organized and forward looking all throughout the jim crow/civil rights period. it was this aa community that put black people on the map, and made black beauty and black pride and black excellence iconic symbols of the black race.

“Leading the Revolution”

Level 6

Since: Oct 09

United States

#65 Feb 14, 2013
To an extent that's true, however, since integration look at where blacks are now??? If we want to be independent we have to leave the US. No way around it!! Can you name one rich black person who became wealthy not through sports or entertainment?

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#66 Feb 14, 2013
DISASTER LOOMS wrote:
<quoted text>
we can learn all that from ourselves. you should know the aa community wasn't always this dysfunctional. education use to important to aa. entrepreneurship was very important at one time. in fact 'black wallstreet' was wealthier in adjusted dollars than atlanta. and that was without all the athletes and entertainers.
and aa use to have a marriage rate slightly higher than whites and a divorce rate slightly lower all the way through the 1950s.
and the aa community was extremely organized and forward looking all throughout the jim crow/civil rights period. it was this aa community that put black people on the map, and made black beauty and black pride and black excellence iconic symbols of the black race.
This is bull because my people have been troubled since slavery and I find it funny how you all try to blame certain movements for our dysfunctional families.

Level 8

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#67 Feb 14, 2013
dkanela wrote:
To an extent that's true, however, since integration look at where blacks are now??? If we want to be independent we have to leave the US. No way around it!! Can you name one rich black person who became wealthy not through sports or entertainment?
Robert and sheila johnson, Donahue Peebles, Quintin Primo III, Janice Bryant Howroyd, Herman J. Russell, Ulysses Bridgeman, Jr.
http://www.therichest.org/nation/wealthiest-a...

all successful non-sports or entertainment business people, have net worth of 200 million or better.
Dropping Knowledge

Odenton, MD

#68 Feb 14, 2013
I really tire of hearing this aa vs. african bs when in reality we are ONE! There are many things that both groups can and already have learned from each other past and present. I admire and am proud of the fact that my african brothers and sisters have seized the opportunities before them and are the fastest growing intellectual immigrants to the U.S. outpacing Asian immigrants. And righ now aa youth can learn a great deal from first and second generation african immigrants that come to this country in the form of hard work, perseverance, and a dedication to education. That's right I said it, WE CAN LEARN FROM THEM! Take off your arrogance and pride cap, quite acting as if we have to compete, and embrace the differences.

Level 8

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#69 Feb 14, 2013
sassyntrashy wrote:
<quoted text>This is bull because my people have been troubled since slavery and I find it funny how you all try to blame certain movements for our dysfunctional families.
who said aa didn't always have problems?

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#70 Feb 14, 2013
DISASTER LOOMS wrote:
<quoted text>
who said aa didn't always have problems?
A lot of you guys like blaming feminist when it goes beyond that.
somali

Columbus, OH

#71 Feb 14, 2013
DISASTER LOOMS wrote:
<quoted text>
the biggest difference is wealthy africans are usually part of a very small oligarchy and aristocracy where wealth is concentrated, while the rest of their country barely exist above the animals they live around.
no, there is a booming middle class that lives above the animals around them, like countries like Kenya, Nigeria, Ghana, and etc.
somali

Columbus, OH

#72 Feb 14, 2013
--AAA-- wrote:
<quoted text>
"I don't take pride in anything that isn't Black American. I don't know why my ancestors were* sold to whites and I don't care, that culture is in the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean and it can stay there. In fact if you look at American Blacks in the late 60s there was a cultural shift. That was when my mother's generation started getting "African Fever", creating this bastardized patchwork of African culture and that is when things started getting bad. So I wouldn't recommend anything African to American Blacks, we were doing much better without it. "Negro" culture gave a lot to the diaspora, the United States, and even went as far to influence political activism in Asian nations. My face is all the connection to Africa I need.
^^^I agree with this quote!
In a way I agree with this, this is what is what the AA mind fram is now, which is their right, their connection with africa is to a extent lost they are a new breed of people. That is why those afrocentrics from both ends to seem like weirdos to me

Level 8

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#73 Feb 14, 2013
sassyntrashy wrote:
<quoted text>A lot of you guys like blaming feminist when it goes beyond that.
there's more to it than black feminism. but to be sure that's a major contributor.

Level 8

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#74 Feb 14, 2013
somali wrote:
<quoted text>
no, there is a booming middle class that lives above the animals around them, like countries like Kenya, Nigeria, Ghana, and etc.
the african 'middle class' is bigger than what it was, and still growing. but it's still relatively tiny. the vast majority of africans live like crap.
somali

Columbus, OH

#75 Feb 14, 2013
DISASTER LOOMS wrote:
<quoted text>
the african 'middle class' is bigger than what it was, and still growing. but it's still relatively tiny. the vast majority of africans live like crap.
hen it comes to the vast majority it depend son the country though in Africa, but the rest of what you said is correct to a extent
ashanti king

Lansdowne, PA

#76 Feb 14, 2013
DISASTER LOOMS wrote:
<quoted text>we can learn all that from ourselves. you should know the aa community wasn't always this dysfunctional. education use to important to aa. entrepreneurship was very important at one time. in fact 'black wallstreet' was wealthier in adjusted dollars than atlanta. and that was without all the athletes and entertainers.
and aa use to have a marriage rate slightly higher than whites and a divorce rate slightly lower all the way through the 1950s.

and the aa community was extremely organized and forward looking all throughout the jim crow/civil rights period. it was this aa community that put black people on the map, and made black beauty and black pride and black excellence iconic symbols of the black race.
The crazy part is I here all this we, we stuff like you are speaking French. You are not aa. Confuse Trinidadian

“Leading the Revolution”

Level 6

Since: Oct 09

United States

#77 Feb 15, 2013
So what he's from Trinidad is he still not black
ashanti king

Brooklyn, NY

#78 Feb 15, 2013
dkanela wrote:
So what he's from Trinidad is he still not black
Dude is an idiot, so I pick on him any chance I get.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sharpton's Daughter Sprains Ankle, Sues for $5M 2 min Oh No You Di-nt 1
New name for the USA. 3 min alex 84
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min John Galt 1,231,864
Should Blacks get Reparations if they Promise t... 5 min ThePope 3
News Trying to Change the FDNY's Longstanding Lack o... 7 min Oh No You Di-nt 1
White cop didn't ask BM was his car stolen....... 8 min ThePope 15
News Twin Cities 'My Brother's Keeper' focuses on yo... 8 min Tellitlikeitis 17
34 Murdered in Baltimore Since Freddie Gray Died 12 min ThePope 82
why do white people hate other races so much 24 min TheOriginalDoby 229
REPARATION TIME $$cha ching$$ 34 min Ingwe Temujin 251
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 2 hr Trouble 120,461
More from around the web