light and dark skinned
First Prev
of 52
Next Last

“Kiss it!”

Since: Dec 06

woodbury

#1 Dec 29, 2006
Okay you all, I just seen this in that one talk show about light and dark skin AA, they said dark skin AA have issues when it comes to light skin AA, and I have a friend, she is dark skin and she said a lot of sisters prefered to date dark skin guys than light skin once, and she said that is the reason why there is a lot of light skin guys date white women, before everybody react to this( i dont know how they will react) I just want you all to know I think that I would learn more if I will ask the real people, and I know I will find them here in this forum.
Bob J

Astoria, NY

#2 Dec 29, 2006
I believe it comes from racism. The mixed or lighter skinned blacks could work in the big house, and made to feel superior because they had some white in them. Us dark skinned big nose people had to stay outside and just dream of the master table scraps.
Just4Me

AOL

#3 Dec 29, 2006
I agree. It is learned that the lighter you are the better your world will be. However if you look deeper you will find that every one wishes to have the darker skin. It is smoother sexier and a desire of white society to destroy due to fear of power and loss of his white girl.

Level 1

Location hidden

#4 Dec 29, 2006
lilmommie wrote:
Okay you all, I just seen this in that one talk show about light and dark skin AA, they said dark skin AA have issues when it comes to light skin AA, and I have a friend, she is dark skin and she said a lot of sisters prefered to date dark skin guys than light skin once, and she said that is the reason why there is a lot of light skin guys date white women, before everybody react to this( i dont know how they will react) I just want you all to know I think that I would learn more if I will ask the real people, and I know I will find them here in this forum.
I am of a light complexion and I do not care what shade a black man is when I date them. They can be caramel, cocoa, or dark chocolate.
I'm sorry but that I do not believe dark skinned people actively seek out darker partners on purpose. Its all about choice. I like who ever floats my boat on any given day, be it jet black, caramel skinnned or brown skin, its all good to me and makes no difference to me. But I'll be honest I don't like my men too pale looking because they just look so washed out ha ha ha sorry no offence guys.

“"Everything Must Change"”

Southern Indiana

#5 Dec 29, 2006
Wow this is a deep subject for many reasons! I hope one day that all blacks can embrace one another but there is a certain level of light vs dark still prevelant in today's society although I think it is at an all time low!

Historically there were the so called house negro's which were usually light skinned and usually decendants of the Plantation owner! then there were the field negro's and they worked the crops and did hard manual labor, the plantation owners would make the field negro's feel that they were not as good as their lighter skinned slave counterparts & would make the house negro's snitch on the field slaves hence the term (Uncle Toms)

From a black womans point of view
Historically in America & even still in the World today BLONDE HAIR AND BLUE EYES with a thin petite frame for a woman is considered to the the perfect Ideal in Beauty! and the further you are away from that 'IDEAL'(Barbie Syndrome)the less you rank on the beauty scale!

It causes the Dark skinned woman to feel they are not beautiful when really they are! and Black people come in All Shades so the dark skinned woman feels she has to work twice as hard to get the same compliment that a lighter skinned or white woman can get easily!

I am bi-racial and not dark but I have talked to my dark skinned girlfriends & family members and those were the things that they said they felt!

At first my dark friends did not even want to be my friend because they fed into the sterotype that ALL light skinned black girls think they are all that and better than other darker blacks! That is not the case there are just differences but WE are all beautiful!

Southern Indiana

#6 Dec 29, 2006
As far as when dating black men! I prefer dark men always have! I am almost 35 and when I was coming up the dark little boys got no love! all the light skinned little boys all the girls wanted! I can remember liking this one dark boy and all my friends would be like eeeehhhh yall gonna have tar babies! but I did not care he was fine to me!!! Dark men did not have the so called coming up until gansta rap got hip! Everybody scrambled to find them a dark brother and started dissing the light guys! I noticed the change in people's attitude but it never phased me cause I always thought the dark ones were hot!

I dont know I think it is going to take some men to answer some of the questions about light vs dark! LOL
Bob J

Astoria, NY

#7 Dec 29, 2006
I love all shades of women. How does she make me feel? But just as you may have seen your father and mother fight when you were 2 it affects you as an adult. When you see and identify this in your mind you can address your feelings. This is a general rule, not law for us black people. Understanding why we do, act, and feel the way we do.

“Kiss it!”

woodbury

#8 Dec 29, 2006
ccheeksd wrote:
<quoted text>
I am of a light complexion and I do not care what shade a black man is when I date them. They can be caramel, cocoa, or dark chocolate.
I'm sorry but that I do not believe dark skinned people actively seek out darker partners on purpose. Its all about choice. I like who ever floats my boat on any given day, be it jet black, caramel skinnned or brown skin, its all good to me and makes no difference to me. But I'll be honest I don't like my men too pale looking because they just look so washed out ha ha ha sorry no offence guys.
Thats why I ask you guys your opinion before I said something and offend somebody even if it not my intention, for me I preffered caramel color.
Bob J

Astoria, NY

#9 Dec 29, 2006
I am the dark man that got little love. My light skin brothers could look at a woman and they were his. Me, I had to, and still do, work hard to get a woman.(I’m divorced so you know) I married a light skinned woman, but I wonder what was on my mind because I was dealing with a dark skinned women almost at the same time. What made me decide? What subtle influences were affecting me?

Level 1

Location hidden

#10 Dec 29, 2006
My man is of darker skin and when I first saw him I was not watchin his colour, it was his muscles and I just loved his big ass, I found him so sexy. Him being dark did not come into my mind at all.
I do find darker men more attractive than lighter skinned men, they just look that little more manly to me. but saying that I have seen some sexy looking light skin men with that mannish look to them and I go weak at the knees ha ha But it doesn't matter what shade you are to me, as long as your fine with a sexy ass, then I'm on it ha ha ha that what I like. Its when the men open their mouths is when it really counts. I can lose interest quick as a flash or be intrigued to find out more.

Southern Indiana

#11 Dec 29, 2006
Bob J wrote:
I am the dark man that got little love. My light skin brothers could look at a woman and they were his. Me, I had to, and still do, work hard to get a woman.(I’m divorced so you know) I married a light skinned woman, but I wonder what was on my mind because I was dealing with a dark skinned women almost at the same time. What made me decide? What subtle influences were affecting me?
Only you can answer that question but she must of been what you were wanting at the time for various reasons!

“1 more year and I'm legal!!”

Naptown= Indianapolis

#12 Jan 3, 2007
There is a inner racism in black people that is pretty easy for me to notice. I live in Indiana and I on't know if it is much different anywhere else but the darker the girl is the more unattrative she seem to be and the lighter you are the hotter you are! I personally had to struggle to find myself as beautiful because I'm a dark chocolate girl! But I do now see my self as attractive and even beautiful! I personally don't look at a persons skin color! It just has never mattered to me. I think that all black peole are beautiful no matter what shade! I come from a beautiful family of black women that are all beautiful and we are all different shades!

“La vie de cet homme ! ! ! ”

Terre electrique de Dame

#13 Jan 4, 2007
Anyone who has a hangup on skin complexion is just fooling themselves for no good reason, I have love women who were dark skinned but yet beautiful in facial features and everything body wise, if you cant find beauty in a black woman of any shade period your just not looking!? I'm light brown and I'm cool with that, not yella, everyone screams about a red-bone, I dont care!! if she's female and beautiful I want her!! my woman is light brown (caramel) and so are my children does that give them a upper leg in life, hell no!! People have to get over whats on the outside and care more of whats going in a persons heart before making a claim of which shade of being African American is better.

Southern Indiana

#15 Jan 4, 2007
cuteblkdude wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if this is similar in the white community where blondes get more attention from white men then brunettes or red heads. I think in every culture there is some inner discrimination.
Yeap there it is! I have seen it!
in the 40's -60's white brunettes were running to the salon at a fast rate to get their hair dyed blonde! Brunettes were taken seriously but usually not considered the beautiful and blondes were the beautiful pretty fun girls.....Hence part of the BARBIE syndrome

Terre electrique de Dame

#16 Jan 4, 2007
If a person is jealous or envious enough the very smallest thing will make them hate on another person for those reasons, whether they make sense or not, I hate to say it but that just the way I see it.

“angel”

Location hidden

#17 Jan 4, 2007
Bob J wrote:
I believe it comes from racism. The mixed or lighter skinned blacks could work in the big house, and made to feel superior because they had some white in them. Us dark skinned big nose people had to stay outside and just dream of the master table scraps.
Understandable BUT we are still BOTH slaves.....
Ms -Los Angeles

Carson, CA

#19 Jan 4, 2007
I am mixed and I am very fair with greeen eyes and curly hair. I had a very hard time growng up in amjority black neighborhood because I was never black enough. I wuld walk down the street and brown skinned girls would say a lot of mean things to me. They assumed I thought I was all that which wasnt the case. My father is Portuguese and always told me I was no better than anyone elese because of the way I looked. my daddy said good hair is when yo have hair all over your head. I am the lightest person in my family. My sister has a different father and she is brown skinned and beautiful. All my family members are caramel colored to dark skinned. They are all beautiful to me. Im still the odd ball because some family members still like to call me white girl (joking) or high yellow. I want us to get to the point where we dont always have to point out our differences. My 3 of my children are light skinned and my lil girl is light brown. I never make a difference and they are gorgeous. I feel when you have color you look a little better better skin complexion. I am 29 and sometimes its still hard for me to be so fair skinned. I will never be black enough to some. People say I dont understand what our people go through cause the way I look. All of us are beautiful from fairest to darkest.

“angel”

Location hidden

#18 Jan 4, 2007
Would it be fair to say that dark skinned females are jealous of light skinned females? Since someone posted a comment saying that light skinned people feel they are superior? Its a double standard. I cant help who my granddaddy slept with. we have no control over the color of our skins.....unless ofcourse you are Michael Jacko!
Ms -Los Angeles

Carson, CA

#20 Jan 4, 2007
brown skinned and dark skinned girls have always had a problem with me. They have judged me just by looking at me. I am 29 and they still do that to me. They give my husband dirty looks when he;s with me and my children. I have been told I am not a real black because I am so light. I think alot of them have hang ups but I am not the cause. This goes back to slavery times. I have been mistreated by my own people not white people. I feel they should not take their hung ups out on me because I am not your parents I didnt make you dark. I am calle dhigh yellow, mulatto, half breed. Not once have I called my brown skinned sisters darkie or nappy headed. I say we should love our people and stop discriminating on each other. How can we ask white people to stop discriminating when we constantly do it to each other.

Terre electrique de Dame

#21 Jan 4, 2007
BOSSY wrote:
Would it be fair to say that dark skinned females are jealous of light skinned females? Since someone posted a comment saying that light skinned people feel they are superior? Its a double standard. I cant help who my granddaddy slept with. we have no control over the color of our skins.....unless ofcourse you are Michael Jacko!
I think it starts with the parents, my youngest daughter has long hair and she's light skinned not high yellow as I have heard that term, she had two girls who were darker than her pulling her hair because they thought it was fake ?!?! Now of course I'm ready to explode and go off on the teacher and what the she did was something these kids parents should have done. Tell these children black children will and do come in various different shades of black from dark to light but we are all the same race!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 52
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How Fkn dumb can Republicans get? 2.0 3 min RMGHispanic Causi... 10
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Grey Ghost 1,394,771
I need proof that the Ancient Egyptians Were No... (Oct '07) 5 min dreamhunk 32,561
Should BW abort BM babies? (Mar '11) 5 min The Reality 123
Why do American Blacks think they're Egyptians? (Apr '12) 5 min larryX 3,520
The 911 They dont want you to know (May '14) 7 min Kato 277
News African-Americans should start voting for Repub... 11 min Trumping On 151
The UK has left the EU 15 min i hate ignorance 73
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 35 min TranshumanX 46,276
Do black men really have larger penises? (Sep '10) 2 hr Marcus Washington 1,301
More from around the web