Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated Mar 1, 2013

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#1 Feb 28, 2013
Cush (Bible)
was, according to the Bible, the eldest son of Ham, brother of Mizraim (Egypt), Canaan and the father of the Biblical characters Nimrod, and Raamah, mentioned in the "Table of Nations" in the Genesis 10:6 and I Chronicles 1:8. He is traditionally considered the eponymous ancestor of the people of Cush, a dark-skinned people inhabiting the country surrounded by the River Gihon, identified in antiquity with Arabia Felix (i.e. Yemen) and Aethiopia (i.e. all Sub-Saharan Africa, particularly the Upper Nile).

Hebrew Bible
A page from Elia Levita's 16th century Yiddish-Hebrew-Latin-German dictionary contains a list of nations, including the word "כו שי" Cushite or Cushi, translated to Latin as "Aethiops" and into German as "Mor".
According to Genesis, Cush's other sons were Seba, Havilah, Sabtah, Raamah, and Sabtecah.
The wife of Moses was a Cushite, according to the Book of Numbers 12:1. Exagoge 60-65 by Ezekiel the Tragedian (fragments reproduced in Eusebius) has Zipporah describe herself to Moses as a stranger in the land of Midian, and proceeds to describe the inhabitants of her ancestral lands in North Africa:
"Stranger, this land is called Libya. It is inhabited by tribes of various peoples, Ethiopians, dark men. One man is the ruler of the land: he is both king and general. He rules the state, judges the people, and is priest. This man is my father {Jethro} and theirs."
The rhetorical question "Can the Cushite change his skin?" in Jeremiah 13:23 implies people of a markedly different skin color from the Israelites, probably an African people; also, the Septuagint uniformly translates Cush as Αἰ&#952 ;ιο&#960 ;ία "Aithiopia."
Another person named Cush in the Hebrew Bible is a Benjamite who is mentioned only in Psalm 7, and is believed to be a follower of Saul.

Later identifications
Josephus gives an account of the nation of Cush, son of Ham and grandson of Noah: "For of the four sons of Ham, time has not at all hurt the name of Cush; for the Ethiopians, over whom he reigned, are even at this day, both by themselves and by all men in Asia, called Cushites." (Antiquities of the Jews 1.6).
In the 5th century AD, the Himyarites in the south of Arabia were styled by Syrian writers as Cushaeans and Ethiopians.
The Persian historian Muhammad ibn Jarir al-Tabari (c. 915) recounts a tradition that the wife of Cush was named Qarnabil, daughter of Batawil, son of Tiras, and that she bore him the "Abyssinians, Sindis and Indians".[1]
The Cushitic-speaking peoples today comprise the Somali, Afar, Oromo and several other tribes, and were considered offspring of Cush in Masudi's Meadows of Gold from 947 AD[2] The Beja people, who also speak a Cushitic language, have specific genealogical traditions of descent from Cush.[3][4]
Explorer James Bruce, who visited the Ethiopia highlands c. 1770, wrote of "a tradition among the Abyssinians, which they say they have had since time immemorial", that in the days after the Deluge, Cush, the son of Ham, traveled with his family up the Nile until they reached the Atbara plain, then still uninhabited, from where they could see the Ethiopian table-land. There they ascended and built Axum, and sometime later returned to the lowland, building Meroe.

He also states that European scholars of his own day had summarily rejected this account on grounds of their established theory, that Cush must have arrived in Africa via Arabia and the Bab el Mandab.[5] Further, the great obelisk of Axum was said to have been erected by Cush in order to mark his allotted territory, and his son Ityopp'is was said to have been buried there, according to the Book of Aksum, which Bruce asserts was revered throughout Abyssinia equally with the Kebre Negest.
David Goldenberg has suggested that the Hebrew name is derived from Kash, the Egyptian name of Lower Nubia and later of the Nubia....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cush_ (Bible)
hmm

United States

#2 Mar 1, 2013
Good Cush and alcohol...lol

Good read. They were in Africa. They were black.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 4 min KiloEcho 24,234
Why do blacks claim to be the true Israelites? ... (May '11) 5 min African AE 4,744
…”Aaaand, It’s Gone!” 8 min Da Thresher 8
Why do American Blacks think they're Egyptians? (Apr '12) 19 min historian 8522 2,350
How has Africa from the begining of time influe... (May '13) 57 min johnplustwomore 1,883
Why do white women think they have big butts?? (Jan '10) 1 hr question answerer 742
I don't want to marry a BLACK MAN 1 hr Diva 3,297
Lol.. WW Has 8 Mix Kids wants MORE!! 3 hr Diva 361
There's A War On The Black Male 5 hr Crown 560
Michael Brown .. STRONG ARM ROBBERY ??? 6 hr Felistas 2,106
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

African-American People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••