Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17552 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Level 1

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#17405 Feb 26, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, first off.....
There's no need to legitimize unfounded statements by responding to them. It only puts you onto the defensive. It's better to simply let the a-hole have his rant and everybody snicker. When you respond, he thinks he got under you skin.

That's my philosophy, anyway.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Level 1

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#17406 Feb 26, 2014
E Street Banned wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you even want someone who disapproves of you to make your wedding cake?
If someone refused to make my wedding cake on, for instance the grounds that my marriage was interracial, they might get my fist, but not my money.
Well, that would certainly solve a lot of problems.

Personally, I wouldn't confront the vendor physically or legally. While the original act of refusing service is clearly wrong and adds to society's divisiveness, anything other than dusting off one's shoes and exiting only adds more enmity and division.

But other people obviously don't feel the same. And they happen to have the law on their side.

You should read the New Mexico supreme court decision about the photographer. That will help you understand: We live in a plural society. We are best able to practice our own philosophies when we allow others to practice theirs. When we meet in the marketplace, we should treat each other with the same respect we expect to be treated. I would not expect a gay florist to ask about the tenets of the church that was hosting a wedding, nor whether the couple agreed with those tenets.

Society works best when we simply do our jobs and treat each other well. If someone wants your opinion of how they should live their life, they'll ask.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#17407 Feb 26, 2014
E Street Banned wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you even want someone who disapproves of you to make your wedding cake?
If someone refused to make my wedding cake on, for instance the grounds that my marriage was interracial, they might get my fist, but not my money.
That was my first reaction. If it happened to me, I'd say I wouldn't want the damn cake anyway if that's the way you feel and go next door.

There were hotheads on both sides of the counter. Both sides wanted to press the issue instead of just saying "fine, f* you" and that would have been the end of it. Now we have states making laws that says discrimination is OK in reaction.
E Street Banned

Ridgewood, NJ

#17408 Feb 26, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
That was my first reaction. If it happened to me, I'd say I wouldn't want the damn cake anyway if that's the way you feel and go next door.
There were hotheads on both sides of the counter. Both sides wanted to press the issue instead of just saying "fine, f* you" and that would have been the end of it. Now we have states making laws that says discrimination is OK in reaction.
Explain that to Jeff, OK?

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Level 9

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#17409 Feb 26, 2014
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no need to legitimize unfounded statements by responding to them. It only puts you onto the defensive. It's better to simply let the a-hole have his rant and everybody snicker. When you respond, he thinks he got under you skin.
That's my philosophy, anyway.
Thanks....you always tend to post what I need to see when I lose a little focus:-)

By the way.....SB1062 is dead in the water for now!!!

“From a distance...”

Level 1

Since: Apr 08

Planet Earth

#17413 Feb 26, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
Aw, hell bandwidth's cheap these days.
It doesn't change the fact barry's posts are still a waste of it.
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
Relax Terry Firmy. Terra is firma but your brain is mushy. Terry Mushy.
At least I have a brain that's not ravaged by almost nightly drunken stupors like yours is, Frankie.
E Street Banned

Ridgewood, NJ

#17414 Feb 26, 2014
David wrote:
The Chicago Race Riot of 1919 was a major racial conflict that began in Chicago, Illinois on July 27, 1919 and ended on August 3.
Want to know what kills more blacks? OTHER blacks in Chicago TODAY.

“From a distance...”

Level 1

Since: Apr 08

Planet Earth

#17415 Feb 26, 2014
E Street Banned wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you even want someone who disapproves of you to make your wedding cake?
If someone refused to make my wedding cake on, for instance the grounds that my marriage was interracial, they might get my fist, but not my money.
How is one supposed to know that a particular baker or photographer or florist with whom one has never conducted business disapproves of a personal characteristic like sexual orientation or has religious objections to same sex marriage until one seeks to obtain goods or services and is told no? There's at least one case where a florist in Washington state sold flowers to a gay couple for years with no issue only to balk at providing flowers for their marriage ceremony (in a state where same sex marriage is legally recognized no less). Why would existing customers with an established business relationship expect to suddenly be refused service because of a personal characteristic that was known to the business owner and was never an issue previously?

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Level 1

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#17416 Feb 26, 2014
David wrote:
The Chicago Race Riot of 1919 ...
I had never heard of that particular incident. I am truly embarrassed to share this earth with the jerk that thought your story was funny. It is a sad part of American history, and we must remember and learn from history.
Poof

Madison, WI

#17417 Feb 26, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't ever had an STD either but it's not like I'm a hero or anything. It's just poor dumb luck and a tiny bit of discretion for me. I have spent a long time in the Navy sailing around the world and I have dragged my love snake through all the back alleys and whorehouses from Mexico to Singapore to Calcutta! To Africa! Europe! Antarctica (slutty female scientists when I was a geologist). Around the horn! and through the loop! Ah good times.
And I never got an STD. I dunno what to make of it maybe I am immune. I was an atrocious slut believe me. In Asia they'd say "take two, they're small" I'd take three or four! Ah good times! Maybe that's where I got my affinity for polygamy.
You were in the Navy too eh swab?(Wink wink)
Lets see you spent two years in the Navy, according to you ,both where in Vietnam. And you sailed to all those places,
As I recall you said that when you where in the Navy, your job was to rescue downed pilots. Yet in the post , you claim to be a geologist in the Navy.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#17418 Feb 26, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
There actually PomChi's........one is a little over 2 years old and her brother, who is 10 weeks old as of Monday:-)
"Brother"? You let a male in house?!
Nope, we don't need to walk around wearing any rainbow icons as we are well aware of who we are:-)
But do the dogs know?
Only a jerk would equate Marriage to Taco Bell!!
Hmmmmmm....Taco....there's a joke here.....I'll behave.:)
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#17419 Feb 26, 2014
Terra Firma wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't change the fact barry's posts are still a waste of it.
<quoted text>
At least I have a brain that's not ravaged by almost nightly drunken stupors like yours is, Frankie.
Almost nightly? I never do a thing almost boy. Either I do it or I don't!

Don't you know Cliff Clavin's buffalo theory?

“Well you see, Norm, it’s like this ... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the heard is hunted, it is the lowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.”

Never do a thing almost, lad! Either you drink or you don't. Myself, I drink.

The thing is, I'm drunk and you're whiny. Tomorrow (if you catch me early) I'll be sober. But you'll still be whining. Ah good times! Shots and beers! That's the way Frankie rolls.

My B.A.C. is irrelevant. I'm not driving.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#17420 Feb 26, 2014
E Street Banned wrote:
<quoted text>
Want to know what kills more blacks?
lead poisoning.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Level 9

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#17421 Feb 26, 2014
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
"Brother"? You let a male in house?!
<quoted text>
But do the dogs know?
<quoted text>
Hmmmmmm....Taco....there's a joke here.....I'll behave.:)
Pete, I DON'T hate men.....just not interested in being intimate with them.......some of my best friends happen to be guys:-)

Know what? That they're siblings......they are from different litters, so probably not, but we do explain it to them, let them know some behavior is unacceptable and as soon as Ta Tonka is old enough.....he's getting snipped!!!

Did that make you cringe, Pete?
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#17422 Feb 26, 2014
Poof wrote:
<quoted text>Lets see you spent two years in the Navy, according to you ,both where in Vietnam. And you sailed to all those places,
As I recall you said that when you where in the Navy, your job was to rescue downed pilots. Yet in the post , you claim to be a geologist in the Navy.
Flunkie gets his lies mixed up easily.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#17423 Feb 26, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Pete, I DON'T hate men.....just not interested in being intimate with them.......some of my best friends happen to be guys:-)
Know what? That they're siblings......they are from different litters, so probably not, but we do explain it to them, let them know some behavior is unacceptable and as soon as Ta Tonka is old enough.....he's getting snipped!!!
Did that make you cringe, Pete?
Thanks for the laughs mi amica, ciao.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#17424 Feb 26, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Almost nightly? I never do a thing almost boy. Either I do it or I don't!
Don't you know Cliff Clavin's buffalo theory?
“Well you see, Norm, it’s like this ... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the heard is hunted, it is the lowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.
In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.”
Never do a thing almost, lad! Either you drink or you don't. Myself, I drink.
The thing is, I'm drunk and you're whiny. Tomorrow (if you catch me early) I'll be sober. But you'll still be whining. Ah good times! Shots and beers! That's the way Frankie rolls.
My B.A.C. is irrelevant. I'm not driving.
Funny stuff Frankie....fun-nee

“From a distance...”

Level 1

Since: Apr 08

Planet Earth

#17425 Feb 26, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
Almost nightly? I never do a thing almost boy. Either I do it or I don't!
Don't you know Cliff Clavin's buffalo theory?
“Well you see, Norm, it’s like this ... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the heard is hunted, it is the lowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.
In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.”
Never do a thing almost, lad! Either you drink or you don't. Myself, I drink.
The thing is, I'm drunk and you're whiny. Tomorrow (if you catch me early) I'll be sober. But you'll still be whining. Ah good times! Shots and beers! That's the way Frankie rolls.
Excuse me for assuming you took a night off once in a great while from getting drunk off your ass. I stand corrected.
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
My B.A.C. is irrelevant. I'm not driving.
So you push your motorized wheel chair around when you're drunk?
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#17426 Feb 26, 2014
Terra Firma wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me for assuming you took a night off once in a great while from getting drunk off your ass. I stand corrected.
<quoted text>
So you push your motorized wheel chair around when you're drunk?
Ask Flunkie about drunk in public laws.

According to California Penal Code Section 647(f), it is illegal to be in any public place under the influence of alcohol or drugs in such a condition that you are unable to exercise care for your own safety or the safety of others, or to interfere with, obstruct or prevent the free use of any street, sidewalk, or other public way.- See more at: http://www.nocuffs.com/california-drunk-in-pu...
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#17427 Feb 26, 2014
Poof wrote:
<quoted text>Lets see you spent two years in the Navy, according to you ,both where in Vietnam. And you sailed to all those places,
As I recall you said that when you where in the Navy, your job was to rescue downed pilots. Yet in the post , you claim to be a geologist in the Navy.
No no, you messed it all up dummy. Pay attention this time!

Two tours in Vietnam, six in the Navy. SAR off an aircraft carrier but I wasn't aboard the helo to rescue people. I was there to rescue high tech stuff while the SAR boys rescued people. Very exciting!

Then the GI Bill for a MS geology, then 33 years as a geologist, now retired. Ah good times!
You could have done similar but you chose to smoke pot and flip burgers and whine. Also you're a dope.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is there a difference between hispanics,mexican... (Aug '08) 6 min none 158
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min VetnorsGate 1,549,958
News Anti-racist author Tim Wise: White America desp... 21 min Cordwainer Trout 148
Why all the hates here? 38 min Keyanna 26
Bachelotte: 1 BM & 6 White men left 41 min The Truth 5
All b.s. aside, what poster is the funniest? 44 min Lady Majestic 76
The rise of Black people (Mar '15) 1 hr bluestreak returns 29
Slave spawn riot at SFO mall! 1 hr KIP 34
He feared for his Life 2 hr 9a43w62x 61
white ppl are always at war or preparing for war 4 hr truth be told 151
More from around the web