Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17552 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#16585 Feb 11, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering that there is NO such thing as "SAME-SEX" marriage.......you may have a point.......see, REGARDLESS of how much the media or people want to ASSume that there is this entity known as "SAME-SEX" marriage.....in reality, it's JUST a marriage that will either INVOLVE an opposite-sex couple(i.e a man and a woman) or a Same-Sex couple(i.e. 2 men or 2 women)........the State is ISSUING the SAME marriage license for both couples!!!
Yet one, same sex, is a recent invention, while the other, opposite sex, has be the sole understanding of marriage since before the birth of the Republic. The latter also possess the long standing cultural, social, sexual, and/or religious understanding of marriage as a union of one man and one woman as husband and wife.

Simply because the state removed gender references from the marriage license, doesn't mean the two marriages are equivalent. The opposite sex couple are pronounced "husband and wife", and all the associate marital presumptions, expectations, and understandings that go with it.

A same sex marriage is simply a personal intimate relationship with a benefits package.

Why you insist on claiming there's no difference is puzzling. Is a male lesbian simply a lesbian who happens to be a man? A veggie burger simply a burger made out of vegetables?
See ONCE folks start to realize that the State will ISSUE the SAME marriage license to ALL couples getting married that MEET the State's marital requirements.........this panic that you and others are trying to incite WILL more than likely go away and then this issue will be resolved and it will NOT be anything more than just the right to marry the person of one's choosing!!!
You're kidding....you have to be. So because the state issues a marriage license to same sex couples, 2/3 of which are female, then suddenly the collective cultural, social, sexual, and/or religious understanding of marriage as a union of husband and wife, vanishes? Does the average person look upon two women, or two men, and think, "Gee...why they're just like a married husband and wife, but without the husband or the wife"?

Embrace your difference....you don't have to prove you're not two women....society already knows that.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#16586 Feb 11, 2014
cancer sux wrote:
<quoted text>
So? It is a day a day many get off work. It is not a law that takes or keeps away civil rights.
Whoa!!!!! Are you feeling okay? No Nazi references, or "move to Iran". Why that response was actually civil, and somewhat intelligent. I hope this is the real "cancer sux" and not some imposter who has the real one tied up in his grandma's basement.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#16587 Feb 11, 2014
Poof wrote:
<quoted text>Is it a law that everyone must celebrate Christmas? New years day and Thanksgiving are also federal holidays. We as a nation do not pass laws based on religion. That is why any laws against same sex marriage based on religion fails.
Why is a religious day of observance, a federal holiday? It's still an example of a law based on religion. "In God We Trust".
cancer sux

Faribault, MN

#16588 Feb 11, 2014
Moral Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Bet you never even graduated high school. As stupid as you are, you probably never got past middle school.
Yes Graduated highschool and have 4 year degree.

How was homeschooling for you..HAVE SEX WITH YOUR TEACHER?

stupid inbred Nazi pig.
cancer sux

Faribault, MN

#16589 Feb 11, 2014
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is a religious day of observance, a federal holiday? It's still an example of a law based on religion. "In God We Trust".
Funny thing is the 25th of December is not even birth day of jesus. It was the pagan holiday of winter solstice. Whem Roman Emp. created Christian religion he just used current holidays of pagan stuff.

THERE IS NO GOD ALL RELIGIONS ARE MAN MADE BS...That is a fact.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Level 1

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#16590 Feb 11, 2014
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that "In God We Trust" was added to our currency during the red scare, right? And so was "Under God" added to the Pledge of Allegiance. The Founders would never have sanctioned official proclamations of faith.
Poof

Madison, WI

#16591 Feb 11, 2014
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Christmas is not a law, people work on that day, Other than the federal government. Show me in the US Constitution, the term " In God we trust"... Show me any law, that states that I must celebrate Christmas. Please provide proof that the US of A is a Christian nation, governed by religious law.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Level 1

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#16592 Feb 11, 2014
Poof wrote:
<quoted text> Christmas is not a law, people work on that day, Other than the federal government. Show me in the US Constitution, the term " In God we trust"... Show me any law, that states that I must celebrate Christmas. Please provide proof that the US of A is a Christian nation, governed by religious law.
Right you are about working on that day. My place of employment NEVER closes...it's 24/7 365 days a year. We have 4 different shifts and you may have to work on them holidays.
Poof

Madison, WI

#16594 Feb 11, 2014
Imprtnrd wrote:
<quoted text> Right you are about working on that day. My place of employment NEVER closes...it's 24/7 365 days a year. We have 4 different shifts and you may have to work on them holidays.
I wonder about bible thumpers sometimes. How can people like Paco live in this nation and not understand how we are governed.
Poof

Madison, WI

#16595 Feb 11, 2014
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that "In God We Trust" was added to our currency during the red scare, right? And so was "Under God" added to the Pledge of Allegiance. The Founders would never have sanctioned official proclamations of faith.
Paco cannot wrap he mind around facts.

“From a distance...”

Level 1

Since: Apr 08

Planet Earth

#16596 Feb 11, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
I don't think he is arguing that they are the same, just that they should be given the same respect and consideration.
Which in Pietro's case is that neither should be given respect or consideration since his oft stated definition of marriage being one man and one woman excludes both same sex marriage and plural marriage. The only reason Pietro brings up polygamy is as a counter argument slippery slope fallacy that the two are inextricably linked when in fact each restriction will be evaluated constitutionally on its own merits.
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
Of course I cannot speak for someone else but that is the way I feel. I support 'em both. I support incest marriage too. But hey, that's me. I like freedom a lot.
As I've stated previously, I feel the legal argument against polygamy is weak but there are still obstacles that it must overcome that same sex marriage doesn't face: the fact bigamy is criminalized and the issue of rewriting numerous federal and state laws to address the impact of marriage having more than two participants.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#16597 Feb 11, 2014
Poof wrote:
<quoted text>???WTF
We'll tell you all about it when you sober up.

“From a distance...”

Level 1

Planet Earth

#16598 Feb 11, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
And I thought liberals were for affirmative action.
Affirmative action refers to policies that address under representation of minority groups in various settings such as employment or education. That you erroneously apply the term to refer to a mandatory marriage requirement that actually discriminates against a minority group merely proves you have no understanding of the concept of affirmative action or its historical use as a policy tool to combat discrimination. For you, it's just another tool in your Orwellian "1984" speak arsenal to pervert language to portray your reprehensible bigotry in a better light.

Educated people know better, Brian. Which is why YOU make this mistake.
Brian_G wrote:
Same sex marriage is bad for everyone.
No, bigots like you, Brian, are bad for the US.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#16599 Feb 11, 2014
Poof wrote:
<quoted text> Paco cannot wrap he mind around facts.
Sober up Jizzy.

“From a distance...”

Level 1

Planet Earth

#16600 Feb 11, 2014
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering he has 17 children, not all will opt for that kind of relationship. I wonder if daughters of lesbians want a monogamous relationship with a woman.....hmmmmm...nice try Nor Callie.:)
Conflating sexual orientation and polyamory yet again, stupid Peter.

lides

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#16601 Feb 11, 2014
Pietro Armando wrote:
The state allows two consenting, opposite sex, not too closely related by blood, not currently married, of age, and able to consent, adults, to marry, every day. Quite common.
Pietro, can you offer a state interest served by limiting the legal protection of marriage to opposite sex couples that would render such a restriction constitutional, or are you an idiot?
Pietro Armando wrote:
Not according to a number of courts at the state and federal level.
Don't be an imbecile, Lides, You can't be so stupid as to actually believe the BS you are posting.
Pietro, I have supported my position with facts, law, the Constitution, and court rulings.

You have yet to offer any rationale why homosexuals should be denied equal protection of the law to marry the adult consenting same sex person of their choosing. On the whole, you seem not to be very intelligent, which is why you so regularly parrot the arguments of others rather than even attempt to forge a rational rebuttal.
Poof

Madison, WI

#16602 Feb 11, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Sober up Jizzy.
Again you fail to add anything of substance to any conversation.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Level 9

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#16603 Feb 11, 2014
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering he has 17 children, not all will opt for that kind of relationship.
You're right, I was mentioning those who professed an opinion!!!

Are you really this much of a jerk in outside of topix's? or is this mentality just for topix?

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Level 9

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#16604 Feb 11, 2014
Moral Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I know you have a mental illness but you've really lost it now. You say you're married to a woman, are you a man? If not then it's a same sex marriage. Don't you ever get tired of being stupid ?
Gee, are you playing stupid? or just stupid? I am MARRIED to my wife......we are BOTH women!!!

It's JUST a marriage INVOLVING 2 women.....NOTHING on our marriage license states "SAME-SEX"!!!
Pietro Armando

Boston, MA

#16606 Feb 11, 2014
Poof wrote:
<quoted text>???WTF
World Trade Federation? What does that have to do with the issue?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min RoxLo 1,579,928
hunt them down! 3 min The Laughing Axe 46
Tiny Whiteys L O S T , Got Defeated :( 5 min Bye Bye White Power 3
Will people start destroying monuments to Liber... 6 min Harrisson 48
News Black People in Racist Work Environments: Sello... 10 min Oliver Canterberr... 1
Ghetto Gaggers Actress TELLS ALL! 10 min The Wondrous Axe 7
Today's dead mudshark. 10 august 2017 19 min Harrisson 43
Destroying statues won't make you slaves White! 20 min zepol 32
I have token white friends. 2 hr KIP 68
More from around the web