Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

Jan 7, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NBC Chicago

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Comments
12,541 - 12,560 of 17,568 Comments Last updated May 2, 2014

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Level 1

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

For those who don't know: Paddy Manning is a financial journalist. He is not now and never has been a leader within the gay community.

He is also an ultra-right "libertarian" in the same misguided vein as GOProud. He has his own blog thickerthantalk.blogspot.com . You can see some of his choice opinions, such as praising Michelle Bachmann for her principles and consistency.

He must feel very lonely in Europe being a gay man way right of Jimmy LaSalvia and the GOProud board. As far as I know, there are not yet any gay European organizations supporting people who enjoy (and are willing to pay for) being bashed by the likes of Ann Coulter.

But perhaps he can find a nice group of gays in Eastern Europe who support the Kremlin policies.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

lides wrote:
Do you have anything relevant to say? Your post seems to be full of silly semantics, and assertions that are devoid of fact.
Don't blame me if you don't like what you read. The facts exist, when the US Supreme Court decided Loving v Virginia, they decided for husband/wife marriage. The Lovings were male/female, the court didn't decide any races may marry regardless of gender. Their decision is clear; precedent, law and impartial justice is the standard, not sympathy for an oppressed victim group to make restitution for past errors.

lides wrote:
Why do you hate the US Constitution?
Why do you hate equality under the law?
Why do you hate freedom?
Why do you want to classify fellow citizens as second class citizens with less than equal protection of the laws?
^^^These are all untrue, there's nothing wrong about the US Constitution. The only poster mentioning hating it is lides, he loves defamation. There is no gender equality right in the Constitution and it recognizes male and female as different, just as child/adult and citizen/noncitizen are different groups.

There is equality in marriage now, as long as you can find a single mate of the opposite sex who consents to marry. Sure, that's unfair to polygamists, homosexuals, the ugly, pedophiles and rapists but that's how the cookie crumbles. You can't please everyone not everyone should expect to marry. Let's be realistic, not confuse equality with freedom. The government can't make everybody equal, no matter how much koolaid you drink.

Freedom is what I love, I relish the fact every homosexual may cohabit as they please, as long as partners consent. What they can't do is impose the view of sex segregated marriage on everybody else, without their consent. Religious same sex marriage is legal in every state. If you want a religious same sex marriage, I say God bless. It's perfectly legal to travel to a jurisdiction that permits same sex marriage for your ceremony.

The federal government will recognize some of those marriages; that's the problem we've got to fix.

I've always written there's nothing second class about homosexuals and homosexuality; lides loves this "second class citizens" and "less than equals" argument because that's exactly what his posts try to do to people who believe marriage is one man and one woman. Men and women are different, not equal. Law, nature, the courts and conservative representatives understand this fact and aren't swayed by a vision of gender equality.

The issue isn't gays or women are second class; they aren't. But nature designs us in ways that don't match equality; life's unfair.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

nhjeff wrote:
For those who don't know: Paddy Manning is a financial journalist. He is not now and never has been a leader within the gay community.
I don't care who he is, I care what he says.

nhjeff wrote:
He is also an ultra-right "libertarian" in the same misguided vein as GOProud. He has his own blog thickerthantalk.blogspot.com . You can see some of his choice opinions, such as praising Michelle Bachmann for her principles and consistency.
I like Michelle Bachmann too; my dream ticket is Palin and Bachmann in '16.

nhjeff wrote:
He must feel very lonely in Europe being a gay man way right of Jimmy LaSalvia and the GOProud board. As far as I know, there are not yet any gay European organizations supporting people who enjoy (and are willing to pay for) being bashed by the likes of Ann Coulter.
Ann Coulter doesn't bash gays; she bashes leftists. She's very good at it, great sense of humor.

nhjeff wrote:
But perhaps he can find a nice group of gays in Eastern Europe who support the Kremlin policies.
The Communist Party and former KGB to name two not son nice groups of gays.

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Don't blame me if you don't like what you read. The facts exist, when the US Supreme Court decided Loving v Virginia, they decided for husband/wife marriage.
Brian, don't be an idiot. The question before the court was not whether marriage consisted of a husband and wife, but rather if there was a state interest served by denying individuals of different races from marrying. The decision in no way precludes same sex marriage, because it addresses an entirely separate question.
Brian_G wrote:
Don't blame me if you don't like what you read. The facts exist, when the US The Lovings were male/female, the court didn't decide any races may marry regardless of gender. Their decision is clear; precedent, law and impartial justice is the standard, not sympathy for an oppressed victim group to make restitution for past errors.
Brian, gender was the the issue before the court, race was. If you weren't an idiot, you would understand that.
Brian_G wrote:
^^^These are all untrue, there's nothing wrong about the US Constitution. The only poster mentioning hating it is lides, he loves defamation. There is no gender equality right in the Constitution and it recognizes male and female as different, just as child/adult and citizen/noncitizen are different groups.
Brian, I am not the one arguing for fellow citizens to be classified as second class citizens with less than equal protection of the law. You are a bald faced liar if you claim that is not your position. You wish to exclude same sex couples from marriage.
Brian_G wrote:
There is equality in marriage now, as long as you can find a single mate of the opposite sex who consents to marry. Sure, that's unfair to polygamists, homosexuals, the ugly, pedophiles and rapists but that's how the cookie crumbles. You can't please everyone not everyone should expect to marry. Let's be realistic, not confuse equality with freedom. The government can't make everybody equal, no matter how much koolaid you drink.
Brian, have you come up with a compelling governmental interest served by denying same sex couples the right to marry? If not, such a restriction is unconstitutional, and your argument is without foundation.
Brian_G wrote:
Freedom is what I love, I relish the fact every homosexual may cohabit as they please, as long as partners consent. What they can't do is impose the view of sex segregated marriage on everybody else, without their consent. Religious same sex marriage is legal in every state. If you want a religious same sex marriage, I say God bless. It's perfectly legal to travel to a jurisdiction that permits same sex marriage for your ceremony.
No, you hate freedom, and don't wish for others to be able to make their own choices. You wish to project your moral views onto others, but can't offer any compelling governmental interest served by denying same sex couples the right to marry that would render such a restriction constitutional, and prove that you are not a complete imbecile.

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
The federal government will recognize some of those marriages; that's the problem we've got to fix.
I've always written there's nothing second class about homosexuals and homosexuality; lides loves this "second class citizens" and "less than equals" argument because that's exactly what his posts try to do to people who believe marriage is one man and one woman. Men and women are different, not equal. Law, nature, the courts and conservative representatives understand this fact and aren't swayed by a vision of gender equality.
The federal government recognizes all marriages performed by the states. Soon all of the states will have same sex marriage. Do you know why? Because idiots, like yourself, can't come up with a valid argument against equal protection of the law for same sex couples to marry.
Brian_G wrote:
The issue isn't gays or women are second class; they aren't. But nature designs us in ways that don't match equality; life's unfair.
Brian, the issue is one of equal protection of the law.

Can same sex couples legally marry?
Can you offer any compelling governmental interest served by denying them the right to do so, or do you admit that you are a moron with no valid argument?

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Level 9

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
See Brian......that's just it......there's NO problem to fix......the federal government SHOULD recognize ANY and ALL legal marriages that the State defines as legal, valid and recognized......to NOT do that is called DISCRIMINATION!!!

“Unconvinced”

Level 1

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Yes, life is OFTEN unfair. And so humans take steps to correct that unfairness when we can. We build ramps and rails and designate special parking spaces up front, under the Americans With Disabilities Act. We don't just say "life's unfair" and then tell disabled people to cope. We build eyeglasses when a person's cornea is misshapen. We don't just say "life's unfair, no driving or reading for you". We give scholarships to the needy. We feed the hungry. We protect the weak.

Perhaps you think you're exemplifying some noble ethic, by recognizing that life is unfair. Although it's usually true, we don't have to just sit and accept it. In fact, we hardly ever do. The people who oppose marriage for same-sex couples aren't observed falling back on the "life's unfair" creed for all these OTHER arenas in life, which makes it obvious that fairness is not truly their aim. If it were, they'd be able to see how EASY that fairness is to achieve. Instead, they don't just OPPOSE our marriages, they ACTIVELY BLOCK THEM, deliberately degrading and impeding fairness.

Don't talk about fairness, not when it's transparently obvious that you're not interested in taking the steps to assure it. Of COURSE life isn't fair. Since when do humans sit still for THAT?

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Level 1

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I like Michelle Bachmann too; my dream ticket is Palin and Bachmann in '16.
Well, there's one dream we share!
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
Please show me a marriage license that states "GAY" or "SAME-SEX" on it........and one can't judge by the names because I know a couple whose first names are Larry and Kevin and they AREN'T in a Same-Sex marriage!!!
Oh and according to the law.......both marriages ARE equal!!!
In Massachusetts, it says party 1 and party 2. It said bride and groom prior to the change in the laws. According to the laws, maybe. When 2 men marry, it's still a gay marriage, same for 2 women. It's a whole separate category from traditional marriage.

That said, you can believe they're the same if it makes you feel better.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

DaveinMass wrote:
<quoted text>
The beauty of it, there are openly straight individuals and they oppose the restriction of marriage to opposite-sex couples! Bad move.
Whose list of supporters do you think will be longer? And what does does that prove?
It's nice to know that not all gay folks are in lock step behind the rainbow flag, some have rebelled. So does that make them "bigots", "homophobes", or traitors?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, I know straight people who support marriage equality. So they must be right, and everyone else is wrong.
See how well your logic works?
So let me get this straight, pardon the pun, there are men and women, who reject marriage conjugal it's as the basis for legal marriage?

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Level 9

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
In Massachusetts, it says party 1 and party 2. It said bride and groom prior to the change in the laws. According to the laws, maybe. When 2 men marry, it's still a gay marriage, same for 2 women. It's a whole separate category from traditional marriage.
That said, you can believe they're the same if it makes you feel better.
I know that my marriage is the same as the marriages of my aunt and uncle, my sister's and other family members who are married.......you and those like you are the one's with the issues!!!

Actually ALL marriages are listed as a marriage by the State regardless of it being an opposite-sex couple who are married or a Same-Sex Couple......and just to let ya know......when my wife and I got married it was an EXTREMELY a traditional wedding ceremony:-)

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

lides wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that it is a bad move, but they are entitled to their opinion.
Do you ever read what you have written prior to posting? You sometimes don't make the point you had intended to make.
Bad move to redefine marriage. One of your own, goes on record to clearly voice his opposition to redefining marriage. Truly a rebel.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that my marriage is the same as the marriages of my aunt and uncle, my sister's and other family members who are married.......you and those like you are the one's with the issues!!!
Your uncle is a woman?
Actually ALL marriages are listed as a marriage by the State regardless of it being an opposite-sex couple who are married or a Same-Sex Couple......and just to let ya know......when my wife and I got married it was an EXTREMELY a traditional wedding ceremony:-)
Traditional? So where was the groom?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

And over on the next block ...

http://www2.illinois.gov/gov/equality/Pages/d...

And the exorcism in Springfield seems to be progressing according to the required rubrics ...

earlier ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Level 9

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Your uncle is a woman?
<quoted text>
Traditional? So where was the groom?
You're SMARTAZZ comment doesn't help your cause.....my UNCLE is a man, but their marriage is NO different than mine is.......neither of us have children in our current marriages and we both face the same daily stresses or life challenges that come with being married!!!

Yes, traditional with regards to the wedding ceremony.......again, you make an AZZ out of yourself when you ASSmue things!!!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just STILL his opinion and NOTHING more!!!
That's all anyone has, but his was in a large newspaper.
Damn Pete, you need to make an issue out of ANYONE who has an OPINION and is Gay or Lesbian that disagrees with Marriage Equality.......
No, they disagree with redefining marriage, of rejecting marriage conjugality, of tampering with a significant, valuable, stabilizing social institution. THAT'S what they disagree with, not this Orwellian androgynous notion of "marriage equality", which implies men and women are interchangeable. Whew......gotta catch my breath.
would you make the same issue with those who are heterosexual who disagree with MARRIAGE overall? or is it just the right to marry for Same-Sex Couples?
I disagree with those, men or women, regardless of self professed sexual identity labels. who wish to redefine marriage, eliminate its conjugal legal basis, and who want to replace "husband and wife", with a two person, "spouses for life", regardless of gender composition model.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
You're SMARTAZZ comment doesn't help your cause.....my UNCLE is a man, but their marriage is NO different than mine is.....
Either does a DUMBAZZ claim that there's no difference.
..neither of us have children in our current marriages and we both face the same daily stresses or life challenges that come with being married!!!
Well let's see.....both you an your Uncle might have to deal with a wife with PMS....so there's a commonality....what else.....hmmmmm....toilet seat being left up......discussions of feelings....
Yes, traditional with regards to the wedding ceremony.......again, you make an AZZ out of yourself when you ASSmue things!!!
If there's no bride AND groom, how can it be traditional? Did one of you wear a tux?

“Equality for ALL”

Level 2

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
It's nice to know that not all gay folks are in lock step behind the rainbow flag, some have rebelled. So does that make them "bigots", "homophobes", or traitors?
YES !!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

DaveinMass wrote:
<quoted text>
YES !!
Thanks comrade for proving the true motives behind the Orwellian Androgynous "marriage equality" movement. What a maroon.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••