Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17556 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Level 1

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#13522 Nov 16, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I share her right to attend or refuse to support a religious service that violates her beliefs. Let's see what a jury says.
Let's do! I believe there's already a precedent, remember the Greensboro sit-ins which were a series of nonviolent protests in Greensboro, NC in 1960. This led to the Woolworth Department Store chain reversing its policy of racial segregation in the US.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it, gee who said that one? Oops! Sorry, you're obviously not the one to ask;o)

“Exercise Your Brain”

Level 1

Planet Earth

#13523 Nov 16, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
No. This is a perfectly good marriage equality thread.
You are trying to cover up the fact that you have no argument against polygamy except hate.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

-Mark Twain

Still lost, I see. Oink for me little piggy;o)

“Exercise Your Brain”

Level 1

Planet Earth

#13530 Nov 16, 2013
ah verkligen wrote:
<quoted text>
And look where "desegregation" has gotten us...swim clubs get sued for asking blacks to leave,
...and we have a Congressional Black Caucus.
12% of the population demands "EQUAL" representation.
You consider yourself "progressive", right?
Here's some "progress" for you...the gender-distressed can now serve openly in the military,
....but still want to sue if anyone mentions their "orientation" out loud.
(Liberalism is STILL a mental doisorder.)
Racist and deplorably uneducated, duly noted.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Level 1

Planet Earth

#13531 Nov 16, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain
Oink for me little piggy;0)

“Exercise Your Brain”

Level 1

Planet Earth

#13532 Nov 16, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd know or you'd Google it if you weren't so stupid.
Are you annoyed little piggy? Just keep oinking, we don't want you to strain yourself;0)

“Exercise Your Brain”

Level 1

Planet Earth

#13533 Nov 16, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain
Keep oinking, we're listening little piggy and you keep us laughing. Oink!
Straight Sh00ter

Lawrence, KS

#13536 Nov 16, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Racist and deplorably uneducated, duly noted.
Yes we will duly note you are a crakkka!

“From a distance...”

Level 1

Since: Apr 08

Planet Earth

#13537 Nov 16, 2013
barry wrote:
you assume that everyone has sex before they get married?
Not everyone. Just the overwhelming majority of Americans (75% by the age of 20 and 95% by age 44).

link: http://www.webmd.com/sex-relationships/news/2... )
barry wrote:
some of us still believe that it is morally wrong to have sex outside of marriage.
And you're certainly welcome to live your life according to that belief. However that belief isn't binding on anyone other than you.
barry wrote:
now it looks to me that you think that this florist should have been judgmental and assumed that because they loved each other that they must have been having sex outside of any marriage vows.
She's already been judgmental in discriminating against them. Further,she apparently thinks gays should be celibate their entire lives since she doesn't believe they should be able to marry in the first place since to her marriage is one man and one woman. Given the plaintiffs have been together 8 years and buying flowers together and for each other that entire time, many of which included notes expressing love for each other with no expectation they could marry in Washington until only recently, it's pathetically naive of her to assume a gay couple would be celibate when 95% of Americans by age 44 have had sex outside of wedlock.

So you whine about "lying" when I suggest the florist and Christians in similar situations state they're unable to fulfill the request without providing an illegal reason for their inability but you apparently have no issue with her lying to herself about the reality of the world around her.

[QUOTE who="barry"]you are only making the argument stronger that the issue was not their homosexuality but rather the event.
Again, the "event" didn't show up in her store to buy flowers; two gay men did. She refused service to them because doesn't believe two people of their sexual orientation qualify for marriage, despite it being legal in the state of Washington. She thinks herself above the law.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Level 1

Planet Earth

#13541 Nov 16, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Witty.
Bark like a dog. Keep us laughing. Oh that's good bla bla bla. What a dope.
A pig will always, unfortunately, be a ......pig. It will always look like a pig, act and think like a pig, smell like a pig and sound like a......pig. Keep oinking little piggy;0)
No Comment

New Port Richey, FL

#13542 Nov 16, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."
-Mark Twain
Still lost, I see. Oink for me little piggy;o)
Spammer.

Got anything INTELLIGENT to add to the conversation?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Exercise Your Brain”

Level 1

Planet Earth

#13543 Nov 16, 2013
ah verkligen wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF are you,... a BLACK homosexual?
What's "racist" about the truth?
Nope.

You have no clue regarding the concept of "truth", is this really what you think you can learn off of the internet my little Norwegian troll;0)

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#13547 Nov 17, 2013
Should a Democrat baker, photographer or florist have the right to turn down a Tea Party political event?

Yes, that's what freedom means. Don't sue Christians who don't support your same sex wedding rites; have some tolerance for folks different from yourselves.

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#13548 Nov 17, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Should a Democrat baker, photographer or florist have the right to turn down a Tea Party political event?
Yes, that's what freedom means. Don't sue Christians who don't support your same sex wedding rites; have some tolerance for folks different from yourselves.
No, moron, that's what racism is. If you really believed in equality, you wouldn't defend racism. How much more of a small minded bigot do you wish to appear to be?

Should I be allowed to deny you service because you are a moron? Of course, not. Lucky for me, you don't know where my business is, or what service I provide.

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Defiance, Ohio

#13551 Nov 17, 2013
ah verkligen wrote:
Let me guess....the I-95 rest stop,
...and two-for-ones on Tuesdays,.....hmmm?
No. However, If I had to guess your line, I would guess village idiot, and be spot on.
Toys R Us kid

Sacramento, CA

#13553 Nov 17, 2013
ah verkligen wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me guess....the I-95 rest stop,
...and two-for-ones on Tuesdays,.....hmmm?
You're an idiot and nothing more than a smartass cynic.

Get a life.

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Defiance, Ohio

#13554 Nov 17, 2013
Toys R Us kid wrote:
You're an idiot and nothing more than a smartass cynic.
Get a life.
Actually, they seem to be more of a dumbass cynic.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#13555 Nov 17, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, they seem to be more of a dumbass cynic.
Justice Dumbass, you're funny!

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Defiance, Ohio

#13564 Nov 17, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
Wow. Bet that one got him.
Don't worry Frankie. I am sure if you study hard enough, you too can actually gain enough intelligence to rise to the level of village idiot. In the meantime, you will just have to be content with being a Topix Troll.

“From a distance...”

Level 1

Since: Apr 08

Planet Earth

#13568 Nov 17, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Yes, that's what freedom means.
Political party membership or political affiliation isn't a protected class, Brian, so a business can legally refuse to provide service on that basis. "Freedom" in the US isn't and never has been absolute; we've always had limits placed on our civil rights; that's part of the trade off of having a civil society governed by laws.
Brian_G wrote:
Don't sue Christians who don't support your same sex wedding rites; have some tolerance for folks different from yourselves.
Any business can legitimately turn away potential customers, Brian. There are any number of legitimate and legal reasons businesses can give in such situations. However, refusing service because a customer is a member of a protected class isn't one of them.

The bottom line is, the Christian business people about which you've whined incessantly have broken the law and are facing legal consequences because of their own stupidity and their self-righteous need to publicly proclaim their religious convictions just like the Pharisees whom Jesus condemned. Jesus also said to love your neighbor as yourself so if a Christian breaks the law and illegally discriminates against their fellow citizens then it shouldn't be a surprise if the victim responds accordingly. Further, the Christian new testament commands Christians to obey civil authority and civil laws, not break them. While these Christians are free to worship and interpret their religion as they please, they are by no means model Christians when they disregard the teachings of Jesus and their own scripture. Hence, they reap what they sow.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#13569 Nov 17, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
"Toys R Us Kid", "Albtraum" and "lides" walk into a bar and order beers. The bartender says "Get the hell out of here."
YUK!YUK!YUK! Ah good times.
Hey Frankie

Here's a Dino joke

"How do you make a fruit cordial?"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min leosnana 1,395,456
SCIENTIFIC PROOF that Hebrew Israelite were Cau... (Mar '15) 3 min FuckOff 86
News African-Americans should start voting for Repub... 4 min Go Blue Forever 281
Benghazi...... Hillary Guilty !!!! 6 min RMGHispanic Causi... 25
Do you understand 14 min Truth Hurts 5
Why Are White People Obsessed with Race 15 min Truth Hurts 14
Poll Who has the best skin color? Whites, Blacks, As... (Nov '10) 21 min Omwtfyb 271
News Donald Trump Is Unfit to Lead 29 min Tom Clancey 77
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 52 min TranshumanX 46,421
5 stabbed @ white nationalist trump rally 57 min Fukanig 79
How Fkn dumb can Republicans get? 2.0 1 hr Fukanig 80
More from around the web