Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

Jan 7, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NBC Chicago

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Comments
10,181 - 10,200 of 17,568 Comments Last updated May 2, 2014

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#11068 Oct 7, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, until you are able to come up with a compelling state interest served by limiting marriage in such a fashion, it is still unconstitutional, and you are still and imbecile.
Awwwww.....Liddie.....you say the sweetest things.

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#11069 Oct 7, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
Awwwww.....Liddie.....you say the sweetest things.
And you ay the dumbest things. I notice that you have once again commented without answering a simple and direct question. Were your argument not lacking in a solid foundation in reason, perhaps you would not need to dodge the issue?

Can you come up with a compelling governmental interest served by limiting the legal protections of marriage to being between a man and a woman?

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Level 9

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#11070 Oct 7, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
NO ONE voted to take away your right to marry....they VOTED TO CONFIRM the understanding of marriage as a union of HUSBAND AND WIFE!!!!
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
What part DON'T YOU GET?????!!!!! People in some states have the right to put proposals on the ballot to BE VOTED ON!!!! If the vote had been in favor of SSM you wouldn't be screaming what you do.!!!!
Don't you get it that NOT all want to marry someone of the opposite-sex and seeing as marriage is such a major decision in one's life......THEY alone should be able to decide WHAT person they want to marry or who wants to marry them REGARDLESS of specific gender restrictions!!!

Oh and by the way.......we won 3 states at the ballot box in November of 2012.......and 1 state decided NOT to add specific gender restrictions to their State Constitution!!!

I have a wife......NOT a husband.........don't like it.....TO DAMN BAD....it's legal and it has both state and federal recognition.......and it will be recognized in all 50 states....for now, we are happy to have it be recognized in both OUR state and OUR federal government!!!
Huh

Owatonna, MN

#11072 Oct 7, 2013
The Shadow wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey fagg@t, get back on your meds before you hurt yourself.
Shut your mouth before a PATRIOTIC true American shuts it for you.

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Defiance, Ohio

#11073 Oct 7, 2013
Huh wrote:
Shut your mouth before a PATRIOTIC true American shuts it for you.
Why shut their mouth? They do ever more damage to their argument every time they open it.
Huh

Owatonna, MN

#11075 Oct 7, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Why shut their mouth? They do ever more damage to their argument every time they open it.
I know. The GOP far right Nazi party is falling apart and people see there hate bigotry and racism for what it is.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Level 1

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#11077 Oct 7, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
NO ONE voted to take away your right to marry....they VOTED TO CONFIRM the understanding of marriage as a union of HUSBAND AND WIFE!!!!
WRONG!!!!!!
Prop 8 attempted to take from gay and lesbian couples the right to marry in California. And that is why it was overturned: It targeted an unpopular minority's rights.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#11078 Oct 7, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG!!!!!!
Prop 8 attempted to take from gay and lesbian couples the right to marry in California. And that is why it was overturned: It targeted an unpopular minority's rights.
C'mon, everyone likes gays, they're in hit TV shows.

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Defiance, Ohio

#11079 Oct 7, 2013
The Shadow wrote:
You d!ck and asshoIe Iickers are pathetic. Just saying.
Awww. It's so adorable to watch you make a fool of yourself because you can't offer a rational argument. What are you, twelve?
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#11080 Oct 7, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Awww. It's so adorable to watch you make a fool of yourself because you can't offer a rational argument. What are you, twelve?
Greater protection, BWAHAHAHA! You're a moron.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Level 9

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#11081 Oct 7, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
C'mon, everyone likes gays, they're in hit TV shows.
You really are an idiot........how pathetic is that......how do you manage to stay in a state that has been allowing Gay and Lesbian Couples to marry for over 9 1/2 years with your obvious animosity towards them?
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#11082 Oct 7, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Now....that....was funny!
<quoted text>
Huh is actually a Commie.....who wishes he could take away people's right to put measures on the ballot and vote for them.
What makes you think you have a 'right' to put things on a ballot and vote for them?
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#11083 Oct 7, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Greater protection, BWAHAHAHA! You're a moron.
Three is greater than two. To argue against that FACT is to be ridiculous.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#11084 Oct 7, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
OK MORON ONCE AGAIN.....YOU CANT VOTE AWAY RIGHT YOU CANT VOTE AWAY RIGHTS YOU CANT VOTE AWAY RIGHTS...
OK CHOOCH ONCE AGAIN......YOU CAN VOTE ON BALLOT PROPOSALS INCLUDING ONES THAT LEGALLY DEFINE MARRIAGE WITHIN A PARTICULAR STATE.
I know your Nazi training makes you want to BUT YOU CANT HITLER BOY.
I know your Commie training make it difficult for you to understand this, and makes you want to take that right away from the people....BUT YOU CAN'T COMRADE.
Can we put a vote out to ban all religion in one state???????
Put it on the ballot, you have the right, depending on the state, to petition to put proposals on the ballot.
Your saying if the people vote for it we could even make murder legal huh???
Has communism made you that stupid. Americans have the right to vote on issues they put on the ballot. If you don't like the issue, VOTE IT DOWN THEN....but don't take away the right of citizens to vote.

http://www.citizensincharge.org/learn/primer

Ballot Initiative Primer
What is a ballot measure?
Ballot measures, also referred to as ballot initiatives and referendums (I&R), provide citizens the opportunity to discuss and vote on policy issues at the local level and state level. Using this process, in 24 states citizens can bring an issue to a public vote by gathering a pre-determined number of signatures from registered voters.

Some common names for ballot measures include initiative and referendum (I&R), voter initiatives, propositions, citizen initiatives, or questions.
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#11085 Oct 7, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
What part DON'T YOU GET?????!!!!! People in some states have the right to put proposals on the ballot to BE VOTED ON!!!! If the vote had been in favor of SSM you wouldn't be screaming what you do.!!!!
How about if we vote on catholics' right to get married?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#11086 Oct 7, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG!!!!!!
Bear in mind Jeff had the vote gone the other way, you've would have said the system worked. It would not only had been a victory at the polls, but a "moral" victory as well. What scary here is the people of California, twice had their votes nullified. If it can happen with the issue of same sex marriage, it can happen with other issues too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Propo... (2000)

How about prop 22 that preceded that?

Prior to 1977, marriage was defined in Section 4100 of the California Civil Code. This stated that marriage is "a personal relation arising out of a civil contract, to which consent of the parties making that contract is necessary".[6] While related sections of the law made references to sex, a State Assembly committee that was debating adding sex-specific terms to this section in 1977 noted: "Under existing law it is not clear whether partners of the same sex can get married".[7] That year, the legislature amended the legal definition of marriage to remove any ambiguity. In 1992 the legal definition of marriage was moved from the Civil Code to Section 300 of the Family Code.
When Proposition 22 came before voters, marriage was defined in the Family Code as "a personal relation arising out of a civil contract between a man and a woman, to which the consent of the parties capable of making that contract is necessary" [italics added].[8]
Even though the definition governing who may marry explicitly precluded contracting a same-sex marriage in California, a separate provision, Section 308, governed recognition of marriages contracted elsewhere. This stated that a "marriage contracted outside this state that would be valid by the laws of the jurisdiction in which the marriage was contracted is valid in this state".[9] Advocates of Proposition 22 described Section 308 as a "loophole", apparently forcing California to recognize a same-sex marriage validly contracted in some other state.[10]
To address this, Proposition 22 did not reword the existing provisions of the Family Code, but added to them the declaration that "only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California".[11] The official citation of Proposition 22, the "California Defense of Marriage Act", is almost the same as that of a federal law, the Defense of Marriage Act, which was enacted by Congress in 1996. This federal law had a similar purpose, and was intended to prevent any state from being obligated to recognize a same-sex marriage contracted in another state.
Huh

Owatonna, MN

#11087 Oct 7, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
OK CHOOCH ONCE AGAIN......YOU CAN VOTE ON BALLOT PROPOSALS INCLUDING ONES THAT LEGALLY DEFINE MARRIAGE WITHIN A PARTICULAR STATE.
<quoted text>
I know your Commie training make it difficult for you to understand this, and makes you want to take that right away from the people....BUT YOU CAN'T COMRADE.
<quoted text>
Put it on the ballot, you have the right, depending on the state, to petition to put proposals on the ballot.
<quoted text>
Has communism made you that stupid. Americans have the right to vote on issues they put on the ballot. If you don't like the issue, VOTE IT DOWN THEN....but don't take away the right of citizens to vote.
Ballot Initiative Primer
Ballot measures, also referred to as ballot initiatives and referendums (I&R), provide citizens the opportunity to discuss and vote on policy issues at the local level and state level. Using this process, in 24 states citizens can bring an issue to a public vote by gathering a pre-determined number of signatures from registered voters.
Some common names for ballot measures include initiative and referendum (I&R), voter initiatives, propositions, citizen initiatives, or questions.
You need a course in CONSTITUTIONAL law. A BALLOT CAN NOT GO AGAINST THE CONSTITUTION......

Civil rights can not be voted on..You Nazi pigs don't get it do you.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#11088 Oct 7, 2013
Neil An Blowme wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think you have a 'right' to put things on a ballot and vote for them?
Mrs. Blowme's little boy Neil needs a civics lesson. No problem, I'm here to help the ignorant.

Ballot Initiative Primer

Huh

Owatonna, MN

#11089 Oct 7, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Mrs. Blowme's little boy Neil needs a civics lesson. No problem, I'm here to help the ignorant.
Ballot Initiative Primer
So if a ballot measure was put to the vote to ban all religion in your state and it passed you would be ok with that?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#11090 Oct 7, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
You need a course in CONSTITUTIONAL law. A BALLOT CAN NOT GO AGAINST THE CONSTITUTION......
Civil rights can not be voted on..You Nazi pigs don't get it do you.
You need in course in civics. A CONSTITUTION CAN BE AMENDED, INCLUDING THE U.S. CONSTITUTION.
The people of California voted to amend their constitution after their previous vote had been Cast aside. If the vote had gone the other way, would you still be screaming you can't vote on civil rights?

You COMMIES DON'T GET IT!!!!!!! PEOPLE CAN VOTE ON MATTERS OF PUBLIC POLICY AND HOW MARRIAGE IS DEFINED. If you don't like it, GO BACK TO NORTH KOREA!

YOU HAVE THE SAME CIVIL RIGHT TO MARRY LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. You just don't want to exercise it like everyone else.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Rev Wright 1,100,246
Why do blacks claim to be the true Israelites? ... (May '11) 4 min Obsidian2xxx 4,694
Black Men Are Superior To White Get Over It A... (Oct '08) 7 min SoulSniper 298
Islam's influence on black history: highlights ... 19 min Ron 7
Race in America: Why are blacks being seen as r... (Jul '13) 25 min Ms Mack 9,830
There's A War On The Black Male 27 min GrapeApe 487
black guy sniffing seat on a bus wtf 31 min reehab reject 3
I have no plan.................................... 1 hr Drilling for the ... 126
Michael Brown .. STRONG ARM ROBBERY ??? 4 hr Masud_S_Hoghughi__ 2,051
I don't want to marry a BLACK MAN 5 hr trace 3,156
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
Ashburn Dating

more search filters

less search filters

African-American People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••