Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

Jan 7, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NBC Chicago

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Comments (Page 405)

Showing posts 8,081 - 8,100 of17,506
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet I have stayed more than a step ahead of you, pumpkin!
no, you post pure crap, often ignoring the clear facts i have given you in the very post you are responding to. you are the epitome of an internet troll.

no intelligence at all just parroting crap you cannot even begin to comprehend...
EXPERT

Redding, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>he certainly could be. what is your point? is there a point or is this like the conjugal lie, redux...
...your post makes absolutely no sense in regard to this topic.
Rose Feratu

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Except in over 30 states in the Union. That horse is alive and well!
Doesn't matter what those 30 States do. A gay couple can travel to a state where gay couples can legally marry, get married, and then go back home. They will be considered married by the federal government. Those 30 state amendments are now irrelevant.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Rose Feratu wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't matter what those 30 States do. A gay couple can travel to a state where gay couples can legally marry, get married, and then go back home. They will be considered married by the federal government. Those 30 state amendments are now irrelevant.
Oh....so ssm is legal nationwide? Valid in all fifty states?

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Pietro Armando wrote:
Those men and women who choose to enter into plural marriage relationships are denied the right to have their relationships legally recognized.
You still can't count, I see.

Do you understand what equality under the law means?

Do you understand that three or more is greater than two?

Do you understand why your current argument is utterly inept?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
They're simply denied recognition of UNLIMITED relationships (I haven't heard YOU suggest any limits). If committment isn't for them, then I don't see how marriage would suit them.
You're right Edmond, from a practical standpoint, limits would be necessary. If we were to use religion as a guide, Islam, Judaism, and its offsoring, Christianity, some sects, allow a man to have up to four wives, as long as he can attend to the needs of each. The flips side of that, would be to allow a woman the same number of husbands.

Any more than two-four, would be too cumbersome I think. If a man and two women wish to form a family of husband, wife, and wife, and have state recognition, will the courts sympathetic to the "dignity" of SSCs, also be concerned about the dignity of a trio?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>what does this have to do with the definition of conjugal, which comes directly from its Latin roots
you are sinking lower, Pyoter...
So is that a yes? If "conjugal" no longer exclusively references "husband and wife", as it has been historically, commonly, and/or legally understood to do, then possible to alter the definition of other words, in relation to this issue. A "male lesbian" may seem like a contradiction, but then again, so does "same sex marriage".

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

lides wrote:
<quoted text>
You still can't count, I see.
Do you understand what equality under the law means?
Do you understand that three or more is greater than two?
Do you understand why your current argument is utterly inept?
Liddie!

Have you been away? It seems like we haven't heard from you in a few days.

You do understand that "equality under law" means the same will be treated the same. A man will be treated as any other man as it relates to marriage, as will a woman to another woman. Each sex will be treated "equally under law" as it relates to the legally recognized union of husband and wife. Thus all men, and all women, will b treated as men, and women.

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Pietro Armando wrote:
Liddie!
Have you been away? It seems like we haven't heard from you in a few days.
Hi dip****. You might recall that I told you some time ago that I was going to be away in Seattle for a week. I am sure that in the course of your trolling you had forgotten this simple fact. It's difficult to keep facts in order when you spew spurious opinions without factual support all day, every day. So it comes as little surprise that you cannot remember this, or that you have difficulty with names. I am sorry that you are a dullard, it must be quite a burden to bear.
Pietro Armando wrote:
You do understand that "equality under law" means the same will be treated the same. A man will be treated as any other man as it relates to marriage, as will a woman to another woman. Each sex will be treated "equally under law" as it relates to the legally recognized union of husband and wife. Thus all men, and all women, will b treated as men, and women.
Sorry, moron, the constitution mandates equal protection for all persons. Not equal protection for like persons. Try again.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
So is that a yes? If "conjugal" no longer exclusively references "husband and wife", as it has been historically, commonly, and/or legally understood to do, then possible to alter the definition of other words, in relation to this issue. A "male lesbian" may seem like a contradiction, but then again, so does "same sex marriage".
it never exclusively referenced husband and wife, it referenced spouses.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right Edmond, from a practical standpoint, limits would be necessary. If we were to use religion as a guide, Islam, Judaism, and its offsoring, Christianity, some sects, allow a man to have up to four wives, as long as he can attend to the needs of each. The flips side of that, would be to allow a woman the same number of husbands.
Any more than two-four, would be too cumbersome I think. If a man and two women wish to form a family of husband, wife, and wife, and have state recognition, will the courts sympathetic to the "dignity" of SSCs, also be concerned about the dignity of a trio?
just heard on the BBC that some woman did just marry two or three guys in an African nation, i beleive. she couldn't decide between several good suitors, so she didn't decide

oh, and islam is also an offspring of Judaism. all three sects of that cult worship the same god, the god of abraham...
Hidettle

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

youtube.com/watch... Wheres the Beef?
I dont see the churchs doing a thing some of them preacher are sucking more than there wifes are
Rose Feratu

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh....so ssm is legal nationwide? Valid in all fifty states?
Reading comprehension problems, eh?

The federal government will recognize ALL legal marriages regardless of where the couple lives. Do I need to spell it out for you?
Rose Feratu

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
LOGIC FOR 1st GRADERS

Check it out of the library and stop embarrassing yourself.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi dip****.
Awwwwww.....you say the sweetest things!
You might recall that I told you some time ago that I was going to be away in Seattle for a week.
Seattle? Really? San Francisco, or Province Town, maybe....but Seattle? Anyway....my apologies.
I am sure that in the course of your trolling you had forgotten this simple fact. It's difficult to keep facts in order when you spew spurious opinions without factual support all day, every day. So it comes as little surprise that you cannot remember this, or that you have difficulty with names. I am sorry that you are a dullard, it must be quite a burden to bear.
Such a nobleman you are....willing to suffer the dullards...all for the cause!
Sorry, moron, the constitution mandates equal protection for all persons. Not equal protection for like persons. Try again.
Equal protection does to require dissimilar things be treated the same. Thanks for trying though!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>just heard on the BBC that some woman did just marry two or three guys in an African nation, i beleive. she couldn't decide between several good suitors, so she didn't decide
Woody....you did some homework. Very good. You get a gold star!
oh, and islam is also an offspring of Judaism. all three sects of that cult worship the same god, the god of abraham...
Another gold star! But I already knew that Islam was one of the three Abrahamic faiths. But you took the time to find out Woody, despite your phobia of all things religious, and for that you get....not a second star, but a third one too! Atta boy!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>it never exclusively referenced husband and wife, it referenced spouses.
Considering that legal ssm is less than ten years old, not legal in all fifty states, and the word conjugal is commonly understood to reference husband and wife, your contention is moot. Now can men be lesbians?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Consortium
The marital alliance between a Husband and Wife and their respective right to each other's support, cooperation, aid, and companionship.

“CAPS LOCK CAUSE CLIMATE CHANGE”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Terra Firma wrote:
The cases you've cited, Brian occurred in states before same sex marriage was legally recognized or where it is still prohibited, Brian. So thanks for lying once again.
Two things common with every one of these cases: same sex marriage and a persecuted businessperson.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering that legal ssm is less than ten years old, not legal in all fifty states, and the word conjugal is commonly understood to reference husband and wife, your contention is moot. Now can men be lesbians?
but now that SSM is legal, anywhere, the definition of conjugal which refers to spouses includes those spouses also.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 8,081 - 8,100 of17,506
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

547 Users are viewing the African-American Forum right now

Search the African-American Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Black Men with atleast $100,000 income, marry b... 6 min dev143 63
What's REALLY destroying the Black Community 7 min guess who 80
Are white women attracted to black men? (Aug '06) 8 min CEEK 111,684
Random thoughts... (Sep '07) 8 min KC Saint 67,798
Why do Africans and African Americans dislike e... (Sep '12) 10 min WDH 261
Threads in spotlight are funny 18 min TheOriginalDoby 8
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 18 min trollslayer 88,701
arabian women & black men (Jun '08) 18 min maryam 314
Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are BLACK (Apr '13) 1 hr dev143 2,409