Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17552 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Level 1

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#6906 Jul 30, 2013
EXPOSING THE COWARDICE OF BRIAN_G

1) Brian_G stated that NOM wasn't against homosexuals, just concerned with marriage laws. I pointed out that NOM made public condemnations to the Boy Scouts when they lifted their ban on having gay scouts. I asked Brian_G to explain what the Boy Scouts has to do with marriage laws. To date - NO ANSWER from the coward.
http://www.topix.com/forum/afam/TP39MT577DHK0...

2)Brian_G has stated numerous times that gays being married will change laws for everyone that marries. I've asked him to supply a law that is not applied differently to straight married couples then it was applied to them prior to gays getting married. To date - NO ANSWER from the coward.
http://www.topix.com/forum/living/wedding/TP3...

Brian_G claims that gays want to redefine marriages for everyone else. I've asked how his or any other straight person's marriages has been redefined. Specifically to list 5 ways their marriage is now defined differently. To date - NO ANSWER from the coward.
http://www.topix.com/forum/living/wedding/TP3...

If you have other examples of Brian_G's cowardice, feel free to add them to this list. This can now be a generic response every time he posts anything.

Put up or shut up Village Idiot!

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Level 1

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#6907 Jul 30, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
What about when He beat and whipped people with whom He disagreed ?
He beat no one, and he whipped the animals. The only action to the money changers (the people you reference) was that he overturned their tables.

He was mad that people were taking advantage of the church by turning it into a place of financial and personal gain rather than respecting it as a place to worship and offer sacrifice (don't even get me started on that barbarianism that is accepted by the Christian god). He found those that used the temple to further their personal agendas to be abhorrent. Basically the evangelicals, teabaggers, and televangelists of today.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#6908 Jul 30, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Polygamy is a sexist construct which hurts women.
2. Polygamy leads to overpopulation.
3. Polygamy causes strife within families. The Bible can be used to illustrate this point as in the case of King David's successor to name just one example.
4. Marriage is a combination of two beings. Multiples cause successor-ship problems as in the Biblical explanation.
4. Polygamy is against the law due to the Morrill Anti Bigamy Act of 1973.
You have no point. There is a compelling state interest to maintain the Morrill Anti Bigamy Act.
Alllllllll right Wastey! You da man! Kudos for doing your homework. We'll continue this when I have a bit more time. Ciao

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#6909 Jul 30, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly.......love, peace and be kind to others, except if they are Gay or Lesbian......lol!!!
Now that's not true....everybody loves lesbians.:)

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#6910 Jul 30, 2013
The AssTroll Stopper wrote:
<quoted text>
Why, because you had a Queer or Queer sympathizer break the tie in a 5-4 vote??? If that last vote would have went the other way, how would you be describing the constitution then?? Stupid Homo.
Ok that's weird. Back to the asylum, day pass is over.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#6913 Jul 30, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Polygamy is a sexist construct which hurts women.
Unless the women choose, of their own free will, to enter into such arrangements. Besides, women have no problem sharing a "baby's Daddy". So why is sharing a husband taboo?
2. Polygamy leads to overpopulation.
At least that's a novel objection.
3. Polygamy causes strife within families. The Bible can be used to illustrate this point as in the case of King David's successor to name just one example.
So does divorce. Followed by remarriage, which can lead to formation of second, or blended families.
4. Marriage is a combination of two beings. Multiples cause successor-ship problems as in the Biblical explanation.
Yes husband and wife. Plus same husband and second wife. Human history demonstrates marriage has had two primary forms, one man one woman, or one man many women.
4. Polygamy is against the law due to the Morrill Anti Bigamy Act of 1973.
You have no point. There is a compelling state interest to maintain the Morrill Anti Bigamy Act.
Yet, de fact to polygamy is allowed, or it could be called serial monogamy. A man can father several children with several different women without penalty other than possibly financial. Yet if a man does that and refers to the women as his wives, and they in turn refer to him as their husband, it is considered unacceptable. Why?
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#6914 Jul 30, 2013
lides wrote:
However is a state allows marriage and bans same sex couples from marrying, they are not providing equal protection of the laws.
They are in their jurisdiction. The same rules apply to ALL applicants.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#6915 Jul 30, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Pete, but it isn't different by form or function......unless you are saying that the ONLY function of marriage is to procreate and raise biological children?
Different in form-two women, not a man AND a woman. Different in function-transforms a man and woman into husband and wife, and yes procreation is part of that function. Not every couple can, or will procreate, but none the less, it is still a function of conjugal marriage.
Otherwise my wife and I pretty much have similar issues as any other family and married couple have.....IT'S CALLED LIFE!!
Does your wife complain about the toilet seat being up? Ask you, "does this make me look fat?", misunderstand that autumn Sunday afternoons....maybe this one...is for football...Go Fins!:)
Again Pete, you'd be wrong.......in 2008, California adopted the Marriage License format of Massachusetts......which was a line for Party A and another line for Party B.........Massachusetts still uses that format today, however California now has boxes to check on each line referring to Groom/Bride......so, for example if their is a Bride and Groom, either party can be on line one, if it is two Grooms, then the appropriate boxes are check and the same for 2 Brides.......rather a simple concept!!!
I suppose that makes it easier for Utah to add a "Party C".:). I checked my license, and lo and behold, a line for bride and groom, one of each. I wonder how its worded it is in constitutionally conjugal marriage states?

Wait...one more thing. What pronouncement does the state officiating agent make? Is it "I now pronounce you husband and wife"?
How does my marriage differ in function, form and expectation than yours?
See above.
I'm rather curious how you define your marriage in order to try and make mine seem different......
Uhhhhhh.....helllloooooo...the y are different. One is comprised of both sexes, the other of two women. That's a major difference.
.the only difference is that our roles are NOT defined by gender!!!
Okay I'll ask.....so how are they "defined"? Is it wife one, and wife two? A wife isssssssss......a......gender role.
You can disagree all ya want.....but Marriage Equality is going to happen in all 50 States whether you agree, like, accept or approve of it....
Or to put it another way, several states have rejected marriage conjugality, and its possible more will do the same.
..Gays and Lesbians are American Citizens and therefore should be allowed to make a major decision regarding who they want to spend their life with......free of discrimination, harassment and other forms of abuse!!!
That can be done by anyone without government involvement as long as they're all consenting adults. Unless of course one is a polygamist in Utah.
Marriage is about forming legal kinship between otherwise NON-RELATED individuals.....
Yet first cousins are allowed to marry in several states. Marriage is about joining a man and woman as husband and wife. It's based on the sexes, their relationship, their union, and to an extent, what that union produces, little Nor Cals, and Pietro's.
.so, a father and daughter, mother and son and siblings already have a legal kinship because they are related by blood.......again, if there are folks out there who truly are interested in marry a parent, child or sibling.......then they need to give a compelling reason as to why the State needs to remove a block to them getting married......it's their fight, one I doubt truly exists and one I will not agree with it, but then my acceptance is not required.
First cousins, which are also kin, are allowed to marry, presumably in some SSM states as well. So why if same sex first cousins can marry, why deny that right to same sex siblings?

What exactly is your fight? Where is the line?

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Level 9

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#6916 Jul 30, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
Again, it is you that is fixated on the what you claim are the differences......we don't see them like you need to see them!!!

As for the toilet seat......why would she have to make that comment? We have NO men living in our home.......and if your wife still has to make that comment after 20 years of marriage, then she HASN'T trained you very well.......ugh!!!

As for things like who controls the remote for the tv, watching Baseball, Football, NASCAR and NBA Playoffs........see, you aren't the only one who is tied up with sports and in our home, I can watch them all.......lol!!!

By the way:
Go Dodgers
Go Rams
Go Jeff Gordon
and Go Lakers!!!!

Now, go figure out what my fight is exactly.....I've stated it many times:-)

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#6917 Jul 30, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, it is you that is fixated on the what you claim are the differences......we don't see them like you need to see them!!!
Of course you don't see "it" because "it's" not there! Two innies no outies.:)
As for the toilet seat......why would she have to make that comment? We have NO men living in our home.......and if your wife still has to make that comment after 20 years of marriage, then she HASN'T trained you very well.......ugh!!!
Cute...okay that was funny....that last line.
As for things like who controls the remote for the tv, watching Baseball, Football, NASCAR and NBA Playoffs........see, you aren't the only one who is tied up with sports and in our home, I can watch them all.......lol!!!
Atta Girl! Or is it Grrl? It hard to keep up on on all the new spellings.
By the way:
Go Dodgers
Go Rams
Go Jeff Gordon
and Go Lakers!!!!
Now, go figure out what my fight is exactly.....I've stated it many times:-)
Dodgers!? I used to follow the Dodgers-Lasorda, a paisan, Garvey, Cey, Sutton, Baker, Lopes, Monday, Fernando.....shortstop....hmmm mmm.....oh....wait....let me google it....Bill Russell.

Ever since the the strike, and then spending close to $200 mil on two players over the next few years....bad taste. But they seem to be wining lately

Level 9

#6918 Jul 30, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Dodgers!? I used to follow the Dodgers-Lasorda, a paisan, Garvey, Cey, Sutton, Baker, Lopes, Monday, Fernando.....shortstop....hmmm mmm.....oh....wait....let me google it....Bill Russell.
Ever since the the strike, and then spending close to $200 mil on two players over the next few years....bad taste. But they seem to be wining lately
Again, Pete......we aren't fixated on our gender......and trust me, we may have the same parts, but we aren't the same people!!!!

I don't know of anyway to spell Girl, except as Girl!!!

Really, we aren't that different regardless of how much you want to make us different.......sorry you feel the need to focus on the differences......enjoy your day!!!

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Level 1

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#6919 Jul 30, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
When we installed our new bathroom, we put in a urinal. I don't understand why more households don't do that. Saves water. There's no women here, but the toilet seat is almost always down.

Level 9

#6920 Jul 30, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
When we installed our new bathroom, we put in a urinal. I don't understand why more households don't do that. Saves water. There's no women here, but the toilet seat is almost always down.
Hey, if it works for ya.......that's great......we don't have a problem with the seat in our home......we have male friends and they remember to do the right thing......lol!!!

Since: Jan 10

Pataskala, OH

#6921 Jul 30, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I’ll bet you have a wife you have to roll in flour to find the wet spot and that you prefer a nice thick cream filled cannoli to sifting flour. Am I right?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#6922 Jul 30, 2013
Marram wrote:
<quoted text>
I’ll bet you have a wife you have to roll in flour to find the wet spot and that you prefer a nice thick cream filled cannoli to sifting flour. Am I right?
I bet you're on a day pass from the asylum, and the group leader doesn't know you're on her computer.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#6923 Jul 30, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, Pete......we aren't fixated on our gender......and trust me, we may have the same parts, but we aren't the same people!!!!
I would hope not, otherwise you'd be clones.
Really, we aren't that different regardless of how much you want to make us different.
You're still a girl.
......sorry you feel the need to focus on the differences......
life would be boring without differences.
enjoy your day!!!
Ci vediamo

Level 1

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#6927 Jul 30, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless the women choose, of their own free will, to enter into such arrangements. Besides, women have no problem sharing a "baby's Daddy". So why is sharing a husband taboo?
<quoted text>
At least that's a novel objection.
<quoted text>
So does divorce. Followed by remarriage, which can lead to formation of second, or blended families.
<quoted text>
Yes husband and wife. Plus same husband and second wife. Human history demonstrates marriage has had two primary forms, one man one woman, or one man many women.
<quoted text>
Yet, de fact to polygamy is allowed, or it could be called serial monogamy. A man can father several children with several different women without penalty other than possibly financial. Yet if a man does that and refers to the women as his wives, and they in turn refer to him as their husband, it is considered unacceptable. Why?
Women who enter into a poly relationship are stupid. No, it is not considered unacceptable. It is simply outside the law. Our law does not sanction legal poly marriage. It is demeaning to women and leads to over-population and disorderly succession.

Level 9

#6928 Jul 30, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
I would hope not, otherwise you'd be clones.
<quoted text>
You're still a girl.
<quoted text>
life would be boring without differences.
<quoted text>
Ci vediamo
As is my wife and ya know what......I'm extremely happy about that:-)

Exactly........and we live in a very diversified society were people will make personal decisions that are different than ones you or I might make......that's just the way life is.

Ya know Pete.....not one time since we first started posting to each other have I disrespected you, your marriage, your wife or your family......but you have found it necessary to make snide comments, sarcastic comments, even comments that have belittled my marriage, my wife and my family........why? I truly accept your viewpoint.....don't agree with it, but I do accept it.....you can't do the same thing.

Maybe you think your responses are cute or you're just joking in some way.......but I don't find them that way.......therefore I can not continue to engage with you.

Peace!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#6929 Jul 31, 2013
Do civil unions really do what the anti gays said they would do?

Well well well. Looks like the claims by the bigots that civil unions will do the same thing as marriage is unraveling in KY.

Exclusive: Will a lesbian couple be forced to testify against each other?

http://www.whas11.com/news/crimetracker/Exclu...

I hope we get this to be a big buzz on the internet. It will be interesting to hear the usual suspects respond,(Hannity, Limbaugh, Nom, AFA, Robertson, O'Reilly, etc.).

I Love it! PLEASE promote this story everywhere: Facebook; Twitter; etc.

Oh and all you anti gays who backed civil unions.....
1. Abiding Truth Ministries (Scott Lively)
2. American Family Association (Tim Wildmon; Bryan Fischer)
3. Americans for Truth About Homosexuality (Peter LaBarbera)
4. American Vision (Gary DeMar)
5. Chalcedon Foundation (R. J. Rushdoony)
6. Christian Anti-Defamation Commission (Gary Cass)
7. Concerned Women for America (Beverly LaHaye)
8. Coral Ridge Ministries (Robert Knight)
9. Dove World Outreach Center (Terry Jones)
10. Faithful Word Baptist Church (Steven Anderson)
11. Family Research Council (Tony Perkins)
12. Family research Institute (Paul Cameron)
13. Heterosexuals Organized for a Moral Environment (Wayne Lela)
14. Illinois Family Institute (Laurie Higgins)
15. Liberty Council (Matt Barber; Peter LaBarbera)
16. Mass Resistance (Brian Camenker)
17. National Organization for Marriage (Maggie Gallagher; Robert George; Brian Brown)
18. Traditional Values Coalition (Lou Sheldon; Andrea Lafferty)

……..checkmate!

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#6930 Jul 31, 2013
lides wrote:
Brian, 35 states have same sex marriage bans, and you have yet to offer any justification that would render these constitutional...
None of those states ban same sex marriage, they limit what government considers marriage but you have the freedom to religious same sex marriage even in those states, travel to and from those states for a wedding in a jurisdiction that licenses same sex marriage or the freedom to ask friends and acquaintances to treat you and your partner as if married. There is a nationwide ban on polygamous marriage, but no law anywhere bans same sex marriage.

BTW, 30 of those states have Constitutional amendments that define marriage as one man and one woman; therefor same sex marriage is unconstitutional.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our poor white folks what should we do oh poor ... 7 min Spinning 360 waves 2
Progressive Insurance a racist company (May '10) 11 min Smokey 2
What do black mugshots and lynchings have in co... 14 min Jake 15
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 17 min EditorAtLarge 1,685,728
Im too satanic and possessed for yall boys illu... 48 min Yisraelite Suprem... 7
More questions blacks won't answer... 48 min Jake 30
Affecting people with the flu virus literally a... 54 min Yisraelite Suprem... 22
Racist White People on MLK Day. 1 hr Jake 177
The white race will rise again 3 hr Harrisson 50
We wuz kangz 3 hr Harrisson 17
Why does nothing ever work for Negroes? 3 hr Negus AfricaAfric... 83
More from around the web