Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17552 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

Some Never Came Home

Toronto, Canada

#6155 Jul 19, 2013
Head of the CDC wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you told me.
(1) Homo-sexuals are at 2% of the American population.
(2) Homo-sexuals are 61% of the AIDS victims.
Day...
Yum.
Hey moron,you are aware that world wide the vast majority of AID's cases are of a heterosexual nature right? Start with Africa and go from there! Besides,what the hell does a terrible disease like AID's have to do with the topic of the thread? AID's does not discriminate as to who will contract it! Practice safe sex and there won't be a problem troll boy! Besides,34% of us heteros practice anal sex with our wives and or girlfriends,but I see you fail to mention that in your hate and ignorance!

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Level 1

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#6156 Jul 19, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Due to the screening of all donated blood, last time anyone was infected with HIV as a result was in 2008, when a single pint slipped through because it was someone who had not excluded themselves on the questionnaire, donated repeatedly over several years while uninfected, but donated again while their infection was too new for the test to detect. Prior to that, 2002, out of more than 1.5 million transfusions during between the incidents.
It's really simple to solve. Anyone who has had receptive anal sex (male or female), protected or not, should not donate for at least 6 months after and if it's a regular thing for you, just forget about donating. Women who have vaginal intercourse with men they know have had sex with men, should also be put off for at least 6 months. It's about the act, not the actors you moron.
I would say that, generally speaking, you shouldn't give blood unless you've abstained or been in a mutually monogamous relationship with someone whom you know to be HIV- for six months. I actually think the time period could be shorter, but that is a technical point.

Focusing on anal sex--while it does highlight the practice with the largest risk factor--potentially misses cases of transmission through other vectors. We should take the clinical view: Sex is not guaranteed safe unless it is with a monogamous partner who's known to be uninfected. But blood tests are guaranteed to work after a reasonable time.

Oh, and, my test doesn't require invasive questions about sex practices.
CDC Official Statement

Chicago, IL

#6157 Jul 20, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
Oh, and, my test doesn't require invasive questions about sex practices.
Very invasive of innocent people's bodies.

Homo-sexuals:

(1) 2% of population
(2) 61% of AIDS

Day...

Yum.
Some Never Came Home

Toronto, Canada

#6158 Jul 20, 2013
CDC Official Statement wrote:
<quoted text>
Very invasive of innocent people's bodies.
Homo-sexuals:
(1) 2% of population
(2) 61% of AIDS
Day...
Yum.
I know,how about you STFU and move along now loser! World wide the vast majority of AID victims are heterosexual! Have you been tested lately? What's it like being an imbecile such as yourself anyway? Get with the topic of the thread,you think that's even possible for you? What are you 12? Does mommy know your up past bedtime?

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Level 9

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#6159 Jul 20, 2013
CDC Official Statement wrote:
You keep posting the same garbage without understanding that the numbers from the CDC website are nothing more than ESTIMATES......because no one really knows what the true population of America is Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual or Straight.......just how many people we have overall!!!

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#6160 Jul 20, 2013
The President leads our national conversation on race. He could have been Trayvon except he's more like George, half white, living in upper class neighborhoods and going to upper class schools. And O. didn't bop George's skull off the pavement either.
there will not be blood

Chicago, IL

#6161 Jul 20, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
from the CDC website
Not from the CDC website--from the head of the CDC in response to homo-sexuals.

2%

61% AIDS

Day...

Yum.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#6162 Jul 20, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text> oops how about this, target and walmart already accomodate their muslim employees who do not wish to ring up pork products. the free market has spoken.
And you think that is right?

regardless, when one plays in the real world, and outside your cult's walls, they must play by real world rules. this goes for caterers and photographers and everybody...

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Level 1

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#6163 Jul 20, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
The President leads our national conversation on race. He could have been Trayvon except he's more like George, half white, living in upper class neighborhoods and going to upper class schools. And O. didn't bop George's skull off the pavement either.
Great. Brian is a racist, too. One thing you've got to respect about bigots is consistency.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Level 9

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#6164 Jul 20, 2013
there will not be blood wrote:
<quoted text>
Not from the CDC website--from the head of the CDC in response to homo-sexuals.
Repeating this doesn't make it factual or correct......and I don't believe that the Head of the CDC has made this claim!!!

My guess is that you just want to repeat it until someone believes it, but the reality is that we DON'T know exactly what part of the population is actually Gay or Lesbian!!!
there will not be blood

Chicago, IL

#6165 Jul 20, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
Yes, the top person at the CDC said that, just last week:

a) 2% of Americans

b) 61% of AIDS victims

Day...

Yum.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#6166 Jul 20, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
And George wasn't chasing a scared teen Obama through the streets, either, after being expressly told not to by the police.

Go figure.

Who really "stood their ground"?

The stalker, or the stalkee?

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#6167 Jul 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Yes, the top person at the CDC said that, just last week:
a) 2% of Americans
b) 61% of AIDS victims
Day...
Yum.
Most gay folks do not have, and will not contract HIV. And it's almost non-existent in the female side of the gay population.

I can tell you that the vast majority of unwanted pregnancies occur within the heterosexual community, and we all pay for that. So, how should we punish you for the irresponsible fornication of other heterosexuals?
there will not be blood

Chicago, IL

#6168 Jul 20, 2013
Quest wrote:
I'm sorry you got yourself so confused.

Let's start over.

Per the top person at the CDC (just last week--this is hot off the press):

(1) homo-sexuals are at 2%(two) of population

(2) homo-sexuals are giddily high at 61% of AIDS

Day...

Yum

St. Croix valley

#6169 Jul 20, 2013
<quoted text>
I'm sorry you got yourself so confused.
Let's start over.
Per the top person at the CDC (just last week--this is hot off the press):
(1) homo-sexuals are at 2%(two) of population
(2) homo-sexuals are giddily high at 61% of AIDS
Day...
Yum
do you have a point in repeating this ad nauseam? isn't there a child cancer ward somewhere you could go taunt people in?
barry

Henagar, AL

#6170 Jul 20, 2013
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a debating tip for you. When you start a retort with "Are you saying...." it will never be what they were saying.
There's no such thing as a same sex wedding. Weddings are an institution, they don't have a sexual orientation.
then you better go back and edit the court cases.
Blood Simple

Chicago, IL

#6171 Jul 20, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>do you have a point in repeating this ad nauseam? isn't there a child cancer ward somewhere you could go taunt people in?
I must be going too fast.

Per the Director of the CDC:

(a) 2%(two) of our population accounts for

(b) 61% of AIDS victims.

Day...

Yum
barry

Henagar, AL

#6172 Jul 20, 2013
heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
he doesn't get it that when you open your doors for business, you deal with all sorts of customers - including those that you consider "morally reprehensible". part of that kind of is dealt in SCOTUS' decision in :
Heart of Atlanta Motel, Inc. v. United States, 379 U.S. 241 (1964) Interstate commerce, and hence the Federal Civil Rights Act of 1964 (prohibiting discrimination against blacks) applies to places of public accommodation patronized by interstate travelers.
Katzenbach v. McClung, 379 U.S. 294 (1964), 379 U.S. 802 (1964) The power of Congress to regulate interstate commerce (Article I, section extends to a restaurant not patronized by interstate travellers, but which serves food that has moved in interstate commerce. This ruling makes the Civil Rights Act of 1964 apply to virtually all businesses.
the cases above may deal with food and accomodations, but it sets a precedent that a company cannot discriminate - and the state of washington set forth in it's statute that i've already included in a previous post what those groups are that cannot be discriminated against.
i find it interesting that some merchants try to "get out" of serving some portions of the paying public that they don't agree with or don't like, pretty consistently rely on the old "it offends my religious sense". we hear that a lot down here in the south, particularly in texas with governor good hair in the governor's mansion.
first of all, the case of the florist has nothing to do with interstate business.
second of all, she declined to participate in or have any part with an event that she finds as being morally wrong. she never discriminated against the customer as the customer has an established history of doing business with her.
barry

Henagar, AL

#6174 Jul 20, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>no, you are the one who missed the point: they still serve the customer. I still don't see any documentation that Walmart cashiers are allowed to refuse to help customers based on religious proscriptions.
no, that is not the point at all.
"woody" made this accusation or analogy in trying to make his point;
"so I take it you believe Target or Wal-Mart employees should not have to ring you out at the cash register if you are purchasing pork products and pork is against that cashiers religion, huh?"

he was the on that missed the point.

my response was to point out that what ever he was trying to say was not accurate.
we don't force merchants or employees to do anything against their religious beliefs if we can help it. in fact, target and walmart are free to choose not to sell bacon at all if they wanted to.

St. Croix valley

#6175 Jul 20, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>first of all, the case of the florist has nothing to do with interstate business.
second of all, she declined to participate in or have any part with an event that she finds as being morally wrong. she never discriminated against the customer as the customer has an established history of doing business with her.
that actually would be discrimination. people used that moral objection ruse against inter-racial marriages also...

it failed then as it does now.

when you live or work in the real world, you have to play by real world rules.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
HA HA HA! Trump cuts $1.7 TRILLION in welfare! 2 min Alexa 11
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Realtime 1,534,997
Hideous she-ape chimps out over french fries 6 min KIR SUCKA 11
Dearest Kip 12 min Kip 4
Political Correctness Is Dangerous 13 min The Amused Axe 52
Europe was the birthplace of mankind, not Africa 34 min The Amused Axe 94
Racism in America 56 min 2 Dogs 571
White supremacist fake hanging of a black girl 3 hr Pissed off 21
Bill Cosby blames racism for his [email protected] scandal. 4 hr The Power Of Mast... 183
More from around the web