Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

Jan 7, 2013 Full story: NBC Chicago 17,562

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Full Story
Carol

Oak Park, MI

#207 Jan 9, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Great job exposing the irrational arguments and remaining rational in the face of irrationality.
Just remember you are arguing with someone who confuses rape with love, and thinks animals can demonstrate informed consent, which requires the ability to understand the legal consequences of the contract they are entering. And of course, the rest of the old, thoroughly discredited arguments, demonstrating once again, there is no rational, reasonable, or scientifically justifiable excuse for refusing to treat others as you would yourself under the law.
You disappeared when you had no rebuttal to my post about...

Young girls when molested usually become promiscuous...

you're a hypocrite.
cjrian

Denver, CO

#208 Jan 9, 2013
snyper wrote:
And the proper LEGAL backlash at their illicit involvement in Civil Politics is ... wait for it ... loss of their Tax Exempt status.
Just hear them SQUEEEEEL !!
Amendment 1
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

What part of "... shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ..." is so difficult to understand? The free exercise thereof includes the Right to deny (religious) services to those who willfully violate the tenets of a particular Religion, does it not?

Level 7

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#209 Jan 9, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>.The mommy and daddy family unit are protected. I'm in that category and I don't feel threatened.
.I too believe in freedom of religion and speech. But note that personal freedoms stop when they encroach on society's freedoms.
.If "blended" families have a high failure rate, so do "mommy and daddy" families. If you can show reliable evidence that children from same-sex parents suffer unduly, please do so.
'As to your expertise on anal hygeine, your instructions to your daughter seem correct, perhaps excessively so.(I would point out that even most atheists know how to wipe their poopers.) However, I don't believe it is your right to define the options for the anal behavior of others.
The anal excuse for denial of equal rights also fails to consider not all gay men practice it, gay women do not, and there are more heterosexual people who practice it than gay people.

Additionally, there is no reason to believe straight families will stop having children when marriage equality is recognized in more places, nor any reason to believe gay parents will stop raising children if it isn't. Denial of equality only harms those denied, while providing no benefit to straight families.

Level 7

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#210 Jan 9, 2013
So called "super bugs" are not the result of sexual orientation. Improper use of antibiotics is the main culprit. Promiscuity and unprotected sex is a factor in any disease transmission possibility. But more straight people do the exact same things gay people do. It is not who you are, but what you do that results in risk.

Committed relationships do not transmit disease. Therefore, it would be wise to encourage loving, committed relationships through marriage while discouraging lustful, high risk behavior. For all people.

But punishing gay people for the things straight people also do without punishment, is irrational, scientifically unsupportable, cruel and therefore un Christian. It is also unconstitutional.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#211 Jan 9, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
The conservative movement, to which I subscribe, has as one of its basic tenets the belief that government should stay out of people’s private lives. Government governs best when it governs least - and stays out of the impossible task of legislating morality. But legislating someone’s version of morality is exactly what we do by perpetuating discrimination against gays.
"The big thing is to make this country, along with every other country in the world with a few exceptions, quit discriminating against people just because they're gay. You don't have to agree with it, but they have a constitutional right to be gay.
“There has always been homosexuality, ever since man and woman were invented. I guess there were gay apes. So that's not an issue. The Republican Party should stand for freedom and only freedom. Don't raise hell about the gays, the Blacks and the Mexicans. Free people have a right to do as they damn well please."
Conservative Icon, WW2 hero, Az. Senator, Republican Presidential Candidate, Barry Goldwater
Barry Goldwater was a social liberal, something few are aware of. While I strongly oppose conservative ideology, and do not agree that it represents freedom, I'm in your corner on this one.
the light has come

Danville, IL

#212 Jan 9, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't notice any emotional fit. You seem to have a reading comprehension problem.
It's not just my opinion. The facts are clear: there has been strong movement in this country towards correcting the injustice of marriage discrimination, especially in the last few years.
Are you so deep in your bubble that you can't see the recent previous comparable example of interracial marriage? The arguments against it were the same. The path to correct it was similar. The irrational bigots were just as loudly crying as they realized their own irrelevance.
That's the way it goes in this country. The good guys win. Equality wins. Closed-minded bigotry gets rightly trampled.
Enjoy your trampling!
There was people who objected to the passing of the laws in those 30 states but the it did not stop them from making a law and changing their constitution. That is a fact. Challenge a law do not mean it will be over thrown. If a state law say no gay marriage, you do not have a right in those states. If gays can marry in those states now, we would not be talking about it. That is a fact and not an opinion.
Carol

Oak Park, MI

#213 Jan 9, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>.The mommy and daddy family unit are protected. I'm in that category and I don't feel threatened.
.I too believe in freedom of religion and speech. But note that personal freedoms stop when they encroach on society's freedoms.
.If "blended" families have a high failure rate, so do "mommy and daddy" families. If you can show reliable evidence that children from same-sex parents suffer unduly, please do so.
'As to your expertise on anal hygeine, your instructions to your daughter seem correct, perhaps excessively so.(I would point out that even most atheists know how to wipe their poopers.) However, I don't believe it is your right to define the options for the anal behavior of others.
Good to know that some who support homosexuality see the importance of mom and dad, freedom if speech , religion etc.
the light has come

Danville, IL

#214 Jan 9, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>It is an unjust and bigoted law. Among adults, who marries whom should be none of the government's business. It amounts to bullying by the majority. Conservatives, who don't like government meddling into people's personal lives, should agree. This "law" has no reasonable justification and should be toppled. Maybe the Supreme Court will do the right thing.
If government should not have a right to regulate marriage, Why expect government benefits that come with marriage. You can`t have it both ways.

Level 7

Location hidden

#215 Jan 9, 2013
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Good to know that some who support homosexuality see the importance of mom and dad, freedom if speech , religion etc.
Easy. I don't see a conflict.

However, I don't understand what you mean by "support homosexuality". Homosexuality exists as a fact, with or without my "support". I simply acknowledge it, and accept the reality that homosexuals are just as worthy of a chance to be happy as you or I.
Carol

Oak Park, MI

#216 Jan 9, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Easy. I don't see a conflict.
However, I don't understand what you mean by "support homosexuality". Homosexuality exists as a fact, with or without my "support". I simply acknowledge it, and accept the reality that homosexuals are just as worthy of a chance to be happy as you or I.
No argument here :)
Whaaat

Saint Louis, MO

#217 Jan 9, 2013
What hypocrisy! These "leaders" voted for the occupant in the White House who is leading the same sex marriage path. They knew that when they voted for him! Now they "urge" blah blah! Please...
AzAdam

Mesa, AZ

#218 Jan 9, 2013
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>
You're afraid of my very valid arguments ...but diseases/super bugs are another value concern thanks.
You didn't make any arguments. You changed the subject.

“Unconvinced”

Level 1

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#219 Jan 9, 2013
the light has come wrote:
You do know what the gay agenda is you covered some of it.
I hope so, when I said that we want to "be treated with some equality and respect, and given the freedom to decide the course of our own lives, without someone else telling us that we must be exactly like them".

That's definitely on MY agenda. It's one I hope you share with me.
What has passed, we all know. we can talk about what is happen now but tomorrow is not written. No one know what the future will be we just hope it will be better.
It will be a little bit better, when people stop using "sexual orientation" as an excuse to ostracize someone. It will be better when people make the effort to get to KNOW someone on a personal level, BEFORE making judgments about their character or ethics.

You can't tell anything of depth or significance about a person, just by knowing what gender they are attracted to. This is far too shallow a characteristic to use as a bellweather to someone's personality. It's not a good excuse to use for shunning people and separating them from the rest of society. It doesn't justify waiving or restricting their constitutional rights.

Level 7

Location hidden

#220 Jan 9, 2013
<quoted text>If government should not have a right to regulate marriage, Why expect government benefits that come with marriage. You can`t have it both ways.
Government benefits that come with marriage are an economics issue, to benefit those already married. Government interference with respect to who may marry whom is a human rights issue. Yes, we can and should have it both ways.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#221 Jan 9, 2013
Jayce wrote:
Homosexual 'marriage' is a cruel fraud with no real basis in how homosexual live. Homosexuals have overwhelmingly rejected 'marriage' as an actual practice in EVERY country that allows the concocted oxymoron.
There is no rational argument in favor of homosexual 'marriage.' It is VERY different from a real marriage in composition, characteristics, frequency, and effects on society.
The government has no legitimate reason to be involved in any legal homosexual relationship. No child is ever born as a direct result.
No such relationship can provide a child with a father and mother.
No such relationship follows a standardized pattern.
No such relationship involves economically unequal genders.
Your symptoms indicate that perhaps you're not gay enough to maintain a permanent relationship
po'thang

Level 7

Location hidden

#222 Jan 9, 2013
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>
No argument here :)
Shall we dance?

“Marriage Equality”

Level 1

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#223 Jan 9, 2013
Jayce wrote:
<quoted text>Are you saying that homosexuals are less than human and cannot choose whether or not to engage in the unspeakable, God-forbidden acts that alone define and identify homosexuals?
Nope. Not even close.

You have a reading comprehension problem, too, don't you? Try again.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#224 Jan 9, 2013
Whaaat wrote:
What hypocrisy! These "leaders" voted for the occupant in the White House who is leading the same sex marriage path. They knew that when they voted for him! Now they "urge" blah blah! Please...
You're in the minority now

“Marriage Equality”

Level 1

Lakeland, MI

#225 Jan 9, 2013
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>Well actually how can I not know this...

when you homosexuals claim this all the time....

There are pedophiles who are sexually oriented towards children...

There are those who have sex with their pets...Beastiality oriented...

There are men who prefer committing adultery with other women...

Surely you recognize that the male sexual organs fit the female sexual organs for a purpose. Which makes this natural the norm and everything else unnatural or not the norm.

A baby born with two heads is not the norm nor does humanity want more babies to be born with two heads...

But you don't harm that baby and you don't label it normal.
Are you able to form and write down a complete thought? Or do you always just free-associate unrelated and irrelevant myths as if they're reality?

“Marriage Equality”

Level 1

Lakeland, MI

#226 Jan 9, 2013
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>Actually your outburst is quite childish....

Your position states because you have an urge...regardless of how unnatural you act on it....

My position states ..there are many with unnatural urges but in a civilized society one does not act on every urge...

There's a thing called self control....

How is your unnatural urge any different than their unnatural urge.
Who are you to decide what's natural and what's not? And what's it to you if other people do or don't confirm to your arbitrary rules?

Does it really bother you that much that other people are enjoying themselves and having healthy, happy lives while you're wasting yours on ideals of a world that never did and never will exist?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Exposing The Truth 1,191,793
MOST WHITE WOMEN DON'T BATHE everyday (study) 8 min ugly monkeys 14
Do blacks get along with Asians? (Mar '11) 11 min Kop 213
what do women love about Arab men? (Aug '08) 19 min Truly Yours 1,995
Under the "one drop rule" EVERYBODY is black. 20 min Redefined 7
Black and white women please read.. 20 min RockefeIIer 42
How Did America Become Earth's Laughing Stock? 21 min iamcuriousnow 57
Africa DO NOT Need you Black Americans. (from m... 31 min Savant 36
All women prefer white men 39 min iamcuriousnow 2,639
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 55 min Carly HI YAH 109,583