Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17552 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

sickofit

Hayfield, MN

#2190 Feb 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>They never stopped, the government shut them out because their religious values, a child should be raised by a mother and father doesn't meet the requirement of new secular laws. The government is spending more than it has, putting our children in debt.
FORK YOUR RELIGOUS CULT....Got it..........You GOP nazi christians say how you care and love all people yet at every turn you hate and are bigoted towards any not like you.........MOVE TO IRAN...you will fit in.
Poly Marriage Equality

Schenectady, NY

#2191 Feb 6, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, take your fight to the courts.
The Brown family has gone to court.
Prove no harm. Prove benefits
What harm could there be in a consentual plural marriage relationship raising their own biological children?
Prove how the complete reorganization of marriage law from a two person model to a many person model would benefit the people marrying, and not harm others, and society.
Has not the same argument been put forth against same sex marriage? How does changing the opposite sex requirement of marriage not harm society?
Take to the streets with your cause!
But, lets face it, you could really not care a hoot about "poly".
You just can't come up with a rational argument against same sex folks marrying ONE person.
So legal marriage should be changed for gay folks but not poly folks?
The clue is that you are posting on a thread about same sex marriages, and not a polygamy forum.
Are same sex marriage and plural marriage both about marriage equality, and civil rights? If the answer is yes, its part of the same discussion.
Jane Dodo

West New York, NJ

#2192 Feb 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I make all my arguments based on reason, not ad hominem fallacies.
<quoted text>Yet, I don't use religious arguments even though I appeal to allies in the religious community. We have allies in the homosexual community too; not every gay supports same sex marriage.
No, Brian. You make all your arguments based on emotion.
Jane Dodo

West New York, NJ

#2193 Feb 6, 2013
straight shooter wrote:
<quoted text>
just like if you tried to marry in jersey, right?
No, just like if they tried to marry in Vermont, or any other State for that matter.
AzAdam

Monroe, VA

#2194 Feb 6, 2013
Apartheid? Segregation? Really? Gay guys marrying is an assault on the value of women? Lesbians marrying is an assault on the freedoms of males?

You can carry on and on about this fantasy but nobody agrees with you. You're beyond ridiculous, more highlighting how slanted and hate based anti gay marriage ideas are than swaying anyone to your opinion. Keep it up.
AzAdam

Monroe, VA

#2195 Feb 6, 2013
Poly, do you think they should have made gay marriage a condition of allowing interracial marriage? Both would have failed.

The same is true if we made poly marriage a condition if legalizing same sex marriage.

You're not wrong, just not practical. Good luck.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#2196 Feb 6, 2013
There is no gender equality right in the Constitution. Same sex marriage introduces a new standard of gender apartheid to the perfect diversity of male/female marriage.

There's nothing wrong with homosexuals or homosexuality; don't hate. Many conservative homosexuals are with us on the marriage issue.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Level 10

Home, sweet home.

#2197 Feb 6, 2013
sickofit wrote:
FORK YOUR RELIGOUS CULT....Got it..........You GOP nazi christians say how you care and love all people yet at every turn you hate and are bigoted towards any not like you.........MOVE TO IRAN...you will fit in.
They hate religion because they don't care about right and wrong.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Level 10

Home, sweet home.

#2198 Feb 6, 2013
Jane Dodo wrote:
No, Brian. You make all your arguments based on emotion.
Which argument do you think is based on emotion? I try to deal with consequences, not feelings.
sickofit

Hayfield, MN

#2199 Feb 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>They hate religion because they don't care about right and wrong.
NO NO NO HATE RELIGION BECAUSE IT IS A BIGOTED RACIST HATE FILLED CULT......You nazi pigs can keep your hitler BS...LEAVE THIS FREE NATION..........

“laugh until your belly hurts”

Level 1

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#2200 Feb 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe in your world, but our small government democracy requires individual act responsibly and morally in their communities. Local groups used to provide most of the welfare support the federal government provides now.
the u.s. isn't under a democracy. you wouldn't like it very much if it were, either.

and social welfare isn't a 'moral issue' it's common sense. it's also common sense that your tax dollars go for the welfare of all citizens including 100% medical care and educational benefits from kindergarten through university for every person standing on u.s. soil even if they just stepped up out of the ocean.
neutral observer

West Palm Beach, FL

#2201 Feb 6, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
NO NO NO HATE RELIGION BECAUSE IT IS A BIGOTED RACIST HATE FILLED CULT......You nazi pigs can keep your hitler BS...LEAVE THIS FREE NATION..........
In other words you hate free speech and also democracy? The very idea that folks like the abolitionists and the civil rights movement had religious based arguments. The concept of morality...

Would you ban all non queers from the electoral process?
sickofit

Hayfield, MN

#2202 Feb 6, 2013
neutral observer wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words you hate free speech and also democracy? The very idea that folks like the abolitionists and the civil rights movement had religious based arguments. The concept of morality...
Would you ban all non queers from the electoral process?
LOVE FREE SPEECH. remeber the USA is not a demcoracy......You know that right?? I WANT NO ONE AND NOTHING BANNED.....It is you who want to ban civil rights.
neutral observer

West Palm Beach, FL

#2203 Feb 6, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
LOVE FREE SPEECH. remeber the USA is not a demcoracy......You know that right?? I WANT NO ONE AND NOTHING BANNED.....It is you who want to ban civil rights.
?????

I want to ban civil rights? That is funny.

I am pro immigration. The more the better. You seem to have more of a tea-bagger mentality.
sickofit

Hayfield, MN

#2204 Feb 6, 2013
neutral observer wrote:
<quoted text>
?????
I want to ban civil rights? That is funny.
I am pro immigration. The more the better. You seem to have more of a tea-bagger mentality.
Do you support same sex marriage and abortions??? If no on either then YES YOU WANT CIVIL RIGHTS BANS...
Poly Marriage Equality

Boston, MA

#2205 Feb 6, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
"Prejudice, we are beginning to understand, rises not from malice or hostile animus alone. It may result as well from insensitivity caused by simple want of careful, rational reflection or from some instinctive mechanism to guard against people who appear to be different in some respects from ourselves."
(Golinski v. OPM)
Prejudice is clearly displayed by refusing to treat others as you would yourself under the law.
Treating gay people equally under the laws currently in effect for straight people does not alter what marriage is for straight people. It only expands who can participate. Denial of equality provides nothing to straight couples. It only harms same sex couple families needlessly.
Denial of equality to plural marriage families needlessly harms them as well.
Poly Marriage Equality

Boston, MA

#2206 Feb 6, 2013
AzAdam wrote:
Poly, do you think they should have made gay marriage a condition of allowing interracial marriage? Both would have failed.
That analogy fails to recognize both interracial marriage and plural marriage both predate gay marriage, and were openingly practiced at different times in different places in the U.S.
The same is true if we made poly marriage a condition if legalizing same sex marriage.
You're not wrong, just not practical. Good luck.
Plural marriage families, to borrow a metaphor from their gay brothers, and lesbian sisters, have come out of the closet. Why shouldn't they enjoy the same marriage equality as well?

“ ILKS r kewl ”

Level 4

Since: Apr 09

Conch republic

#2207 Feb 6, 2013
snyper wrote:
And the proper LEGAL backlash at their illicit involvement in Civil Politics is ... wait for it ... loss of their Tax Exempt status.
Just hear them SQUEEEEEL !!
LOVE it! bingo.. fiscal problems SOLVED!
Headlines read: US now solvent thanks to churches paying their fair share
AzAdam

Lynchburg, VA

#2209 Feb 6, 2013
Poly Marriage Equality wrote:
<quoted text>
That analogy fails to recognize both interracial marriage and plural marriage both predate gay marriage, and were openingly practiced at different times in different places in the U.S.
<quoted text>
Plural marriage families, to borrow a metaphor from their gay brothers, and lesbian sisters, have come out of the closet. Why shouldn't they enjoy the same marriage equality as well?
Absolutely. And when it comes up for a vote, you can count on mine.

Unfortunately, the country has not moved as far toward acceptance of poly relationships. Hopefully legalization of gay marriage will speed the process along.
Poly Marriage Equality

Schenectady, NY

#2210 Feb 6, 2013
AzAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely. And when it comes up for a vote, you can count on mine.
So civil rights should be voted on?
Unfortunately, the country has not moved as far toward acceptance of poly relationships.
Actually its farther today, than it was just 10 years ago. Who would've thought a plural family would have their own reality show?

[QUOTE [
Hopefully legalization of gay marriage will speed the process along.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps it may even surpass, or even bypass gay marriage in some parts of the country.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bill Cosby most prolific Rapist in US history 4 min 2 Dogs 10
Interracial dating is gross! (Nov '10) 12 min SadButTrue 104
Why Some Black Women Love White Men (May '07) 13 min 2 Dogs 11,227
White women are extremely jealous of bw! 16 min SadButTrue 50
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 23 min Grey Ghost 1,536,116
Is Feminism a Cancer? (Oct '16) 24 min SadButTrue 349
Why are black men so thirsty for white women? 34 min Miss Norris 86
HA HA HA! Trump cuts $1.7 TRILLION in welfare! 2 hr Dark Obsidian Mind 227
Black women want kids with that GOOD HAIR 12 hr SadButTrue 34
More from around the web