Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 20 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

Level 5

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

#2148 Feb 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Same sex marriage supporters tell children, men and women are essentially the same, then act surprised when children grow older and discover the lie. Homosexuals know men and women are not equal, that's why they aren't bisexual.
Rose's Law:
Morons with no real argument scream, "But what about the children!?"

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Level 1

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#2149 Feb 5, 2013
Poly Marriage Equality wrote:
<quoted text>
Our marriages are just as valid as yours, and we support marriage equality. We ask that it be reciprocated. Marriage equality is for everyone, not just opposite sex, or same sex couples.
I'm just looking for an explanation of how polygamous relationships will treat each member equally; how marriage works when one member decides she wants to marry someone else; how the group marriage works when two members decide they no longer wish to be married to each other; how benefits currently associated with marriage will be divided among the group. There would be a good start. Get back to me when you have a working group of polygamists that agree on some answers.
Poly Marriage Equality

Schenectady, NY

#2150 Feb 5, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just looking for an explanation of how polygamous relationships will treat each member equally; how marriage works when one member decides she wants to marry someone else; how the group marriage works when two members decide they no longer wish to be married to each other; how benefits currently associated with marriage will be divided among the group. There would be a good start. Get back to me when you have a working group of polygamists that agree on some answers.
So then you agree that marriage equality includes plural marriage? As to the structure, there's no reason that various frameworks can't be constructed to accommodate plural marriages. An example could be the Brown family. Mr. Brown marriage to each Mrs. Brown would receive equal consideration. Certain aspects, such as medical issues could be solved by designating one as a health care proxy. The issues are not insurmountable.

Plural marriage is just as valid as same sex marriage, and should receive equal consideration. Marriage equality is not just for same sex couples.

“laugh until your belly hurts”

Level 1

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#2151 Feb 5, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not hard to feel mentally superior to you.
<quoted text>
I gotta laugh when you divorced people talk about "protecting marriage".
rather oxymoronic, isn't it? rather like when you hear somebody saying that they are 'pro-life' and then turn around and say that they support capital punishment.

Level 7

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#2152 Feb 5, 2013
<quoted text>
So then you agree that marriage equality includes plural marriage? As to the structure, there's no reason that various frameworks can't be constructed to accommodate plural marriages. An example could be the Brown family. Mr. Brown marriage to each Mrs. Brown would receive equal consideration. Certain aspects, such as medical issues could be solved by designating one as a health care proxy. The issues are not insurmountable.
Plural marriage is just as valid as same sex marriage, and should receive equal consideration. Marriage equality is not just for same sex couples.
Sorry, but it is not equal at all. It is something very different.

Treating otherwise qualified same sex couples equally under the laws currently in effect does not alter any of the laws that determine "what" marriage is for straight couples. Only the "who" is expanded to include more couples. There is no change to the laws or social dynamics for straight couples.

Poly arrangements require changing the laws that determine "what" marriage is for straight couples, and for gay couples as well. They also require a change in the structure of society for straight and gay people as well.

While free to make your argument, it is not the same. It requires something very different.

Level 5

North Hollywood, CA

#2153 Feb 5, 2013
dances with weebles wrote:
<quoted text>
rather oxymoronic, isn't it? rather like when you hear somebody saying that they are 'pro-life' and then turn around and say that they support capital punishment.
So true!
barry

Rainsville, AL

#2154 Feb 5, 2013
dragonpat wrote:
<quoted text>
when did i actually suggest this was normal? i simply stated a FACT. just because you lovingly cared for your parents does not mean everyone else chooses to or even can do the same.
almost every elder in a nursing home HAS CHILDREN its a fact whether this is considered normal or not.
so what sense does it make for a woman who does not want any children to bare some anyway just so she can be taken care of in her elder years? there is no guarantee for this! most elders in these homes have more then one child! yet, there are living in a nursing home.
" it is a reflection on the values of our society. values that you seem to accept as normal." and you seem to be ok with that.
those who chose not to have children should make plans for their own long term care and not plan on depending on my children to pay their bills.
Poly Marriage Equality

Lynn, MA

#2155 Feb 5, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but it is not equal at all. It is something very different.
Treating otherwise qualified same sex couples equally under the laws currently in effect does not alter any of the laws that determine "what" marriage is for straight couples. Only the "who" is expanded to include more couples. There is no change to the laws or social dynamics for straight couples.
Poly arrangements require changing the laws that determine "what" marriage is for straight couples, and for gay couples as well. They also require a change in the structure of society for straight and gay people as well.
While free to make your argument, it is not the same. It requires something very different.
Very different? How so? A plural marriage retains the opposite sex characteristic of marriage, it's history parallels that of the two person opposite sex marriage, and it often produces biological children of the husband and wife, something no same sex couple can do. The only change is the number, not the composition.

Why do some same sex marriage equality proponents wish to deny that to plural marriages? How does one advocate equality for themselves but not for others? It rather hypocritical of you. Plural marriages deserve the same respect as same sex marriages. To argue otherwise undermines the whole notion of equality.
barry

Rainsville, AL

#2156 Feb 5, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
Try to refuse service to a woman at a restaurant and learn about gender equality.
try to get a woman to play linebacker for any nfl team and you can learn about gender [in]equality.

Level 5

North Hollywood, CA

#2157 Feb 5, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>try to get a woman to play linebacker for any nfl team and you can learn about gender [in]equality.
Try to get most men to play linebacker on any NFL team. How would you do?
And nobody claims men and women are physically the same, but they should have equal rights. Tall people and short people aren't physically the same, but they should have equal rights. The issue is equal rights.
barry

Rainsville, AL

#2158 Feb 5, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Try to get most men to play linebacker on any NFL team. How would you do? but they should have equal rights. Tall people and short people aren't physically the same, but they should have equal rights. The issue is equal rights.
that is such a lame comment.
colleges must to a certain extent ignore the quality of test scores and GPAs and admit a certain percentage of minorities.
title 9 in college sports demands that there be a balance of programs between the sexes even if women are not as interested in playing sports as men are.
there is a famous court case over fireman be passed over for minorities even thought they did better on the exams.
"And nobody claims men and women are physically the same," but you will demand equal pay and equal opportunity. everyone wants their rights based on their own perceived view of inequality.
and now idiots want to put women on the front line of combat.

Level 1

Littleton, NH

#2159 Feb 5, 2013
<quoted text>
So then you agree that marriage equality includes plural marriage?
I agree that some people succeed in knitting together loving, functional families comprised of more than two individual adults committed to one another.
As to the structure, there's no reason that various frameworks can't be constructed to accommodate plural marriages.
Excellent. You do realize that there are structural issues to be resolved. So get to work and resolve them. Then build consensus among polygamists, and make your case to the rest of the country. Some people seem to think that society should make up the rules that govern polygamy. I can't even imagine why polygamists would want someone like me to make up the rules for them.
An example could be the Brown family. Mr. Brown marriage to each Mrs. Brown would receive equal consideration. Certain aspects, such as medical issues could be solved by designating one as a health care proxy. The issues are not insurmountable.
As you know, many people aren't very good at writing down their wishes. So we need to lay down some rules that will govern polygamous marriages in the absence of clear agreements among the husbands and wives.

Level 1

Littleton, NH

#2160 Feb 5, 2013
<quoted text>
Very different? How so? A plural marriage retains the opposite sex characteristic of marriage, it's history parallels that of the two person opposite sex marriage, and it often produces biological children of the husband and wife, something no same sex couple can do.
Wait. So your first rule is that the polygamous families must consist of adults of both sexes? No male threesomes nor female threesomes? Is it okay if a woman has six husbands? Or a husband and two wives (for her pleasure, not his)?
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#2161 Feb 5, 2013
<quoted text>
Very different? How so? A plural marriage retains the opposite sex characteristic of marriage, it's history parallels that of the two person opposite sex marriage, and it often produces biological children of the husband and wife, something no same sex couple can do. The only change is the number, not the composition.
Why do some same sex marriage equality proponents wish to deny that to plural marriages? How does one advocate equality for themselves but not for others? It rather hypocritical of you. Plural marriages deserve the same respect as same sex marriages. To argue otherwise undermines the whole notion of equality.
Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines
1000 women all married to each other is the biggest gay marriage in the whole bible
If they lived in today's world; Solomon would need 25 Greyhound buses just to take his 1000 wives dildeaux shopping at Victrola's Secret

Level 7

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#2162 Feb 5, 2013
"... a research team led by psychologist Glenda Russell conducted a statewide study to assess the psychological well-being of Colorado lesbians, gay men, and bisexuals. In her 2000 book, Voted Out: The Psychological Consequences of Anti-Gay Politics, Dr. Russell reports extensive analyses of the data.

Respondents reported feeling overwhelmed or devastated by the vote. Some were shocked that the measure passed. Many experienced anger, fear, sadness, or depression. Some felt a sense of loss, saying they would never again feel the same about living in Colorado. Some expressed regret at not having done more to prevent the measure’s passage.

One of her important findings was that a substantial segment of the sample reported many symptoms that are commonly associated with depression, anxiety disorders, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and they perceived that these symptoms were a direct result of having lived through the months of antigay campaigning.

Thus, the data are consistent with the conclusion that antigay campaigns not only take away individuals’ rights, but are also harmful to the mental health of the gay, lesbian, and bisexual people who live through them." http://www.beyondhomophobia.com/blog/2008/11/...

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#2163 Feb 6, 2013
Tony C wrote:
Try to refuse service to a woman at a restaurant and learn about gender equality.
I've never tried to refuse service to a woman; that's Tony's game, not mine. I'm for treating everyone with dignity and respect while recognizing gender role differences. Men and women are not equal, neither in law or in nature.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Home, sweet home.

#2164 Feb 6, 2013
Jane Dodo wrote:
British lawmakers on Tuesday voted overwhelmingly in favor of a bill to legalize same-sex marriage championed by Prime Minister David Cameron, despite strong opposition from within his Conservative Party.
In a first House of Commons vote, lawmakers voted 400 to 175 in support of the legislation.
During a debate that lasted more than six hours, many Conservative MPs denounced the legislation, saying it was morally wrong, not a public priority, and unnecessarily divisive, threatening a corrosive legacy of bitterness.

Conservative lawmaker Gerald Howarth told parliament that the government had no mandate to push through a "massive social and cultural change".

"This is not evolution, it's revolution," added Edward Leigh, another Conservative member of parliament, saying marriage was "by its nature a heterosexual union".
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/02/06/uk-b...

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Home, sweet home.

#2165 Feb 6, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
Do you know the difference between a restriction and a freedom? Apparently not. Maybe you should start advocating freedumb.
Same sex couples have freedom of association; no state restricts homosexual's freedom to live as they please. What nobody gets is the special right to redefine marriage.

Advocating same sex marriage as a freedom issue is similar to advocating legalizing marijuana, K2, Spice and other drugs. Same sex marriage is harmful to the body of civilization in the same way drugs harm the human body.

Don't do drugs and keep marriage one man and one woman.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2166 Feb 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I've never tried to refuse service to a woman; that's Tony's game, not mine. I'm for treating everyone with dignity and respect while recognizing gender role differences. Men and women are not equal, neither in law or in nature.
They are not THE SAME.

They ARE equal.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Home, sweet home.

#2168 Feb 6, 2013
They are not the same, they are different. Equal isn't different. Equal is the same.

If you have gender equality, women in combat units on the front lines and gender segregation marriage; society changes. I prefer treating women and children, protected groups and get to the lifeboats first. I like an ethical and moral society that teaches boys to become adult protectors and providers.

The Church is warning us of these dangers, you have the right to listen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Tinka 1,224,605
Africa will destroy USA 8 min Tme 57
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 12 min African AE 118,469
Animosity towards Blacks cost USA its Superpowe... 14 min Tme 45
News Activist: "Abortion Threatens Black America's F... (Sep '12) 31 min zef 5,661
Freddie Gray's knife 1 hr Loulou 42
News 5 Reasons The American Dream Is Eluding Black P... 1 hr Masud_S_Hoghughi__ 1,227
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 3 hr African AE 33,166
Why do I hate white people so much? 4 hr lomaxx 174
More from around the web