“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Level 8

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#2297 Jul 1, 2013
Loulou wrote:
<quoted text>
Aha, Lol .
It's prob because what divides people socially in many European countries is the language. And and education. It's considered vulgar to act loud. Or nouveaurich . The "mistake" the Americans often make in Europe as I see it, is to be very loud. Like: " Hiiiiiiiii, honey how aaaaaare you". I'm not saying it's wrong. It's just not suitable. Ppl are simply too polite to mention it and they'll just avoid ppl. Maybe more in the North. Or polite distance. Black Americans often wait a little before they speak. So they are sometimes treated better. I don't know if that's true for France.
I've not been to France since 1990, and cannot tell whether things have changed, or how much.
I do know that we Black Americans were often treated better than our white compatriots. However, one factor was that one seemed to find a broader range of white Americans in France. Most of the Black Americans I met there were artists, entrepreneurs, students, writers, actors, models, etc. Not many folk from the hood unless they were military.
Whites, who generally had more money, came from every part of white society except perhaps those too poor to travel. This meant that the French got to see more of our obtuse, Sarah Palin mentality white folk.
They didn't get to see--thank heavens!---our Herman Cains. LOL!
The Blacks who they saw (except for military folk) tended to be members of what W.E.B Du Bois once called our Talented Tenth. If a few like Reggie (from DC) came up from the hood, they were quite educated BEFORE they landed in Europe; and many of those I met in France could speak and write French.
Among white Americans, the "cultured" and uncooth were all thrown together. And it didn't help that this was during the time of Pres. Ronald Reagan, that Grand Doufus of the 1980s. LOL!
Some American whites were pretending they were from Canada, so embarrassed were they with the antics of some of their fellow Euro-Americans abroad.
Of course, my situation and that of Reggie might have been different if we were FRANCOPHONE Blacks from Mali or Martinique. Worse still if we'd been North Africans (or mistaken, like Angela Davis, for NOrth Africans).
Yet while fully aware of this, and indignant about French racism to their homegrown people of color, I can't deny enjoying being in a country in which my color didn't count as a deficit, and my AA culture (especially music) commonly counted as a plus. And to be able to take my mind off of RACE for even one or two months! I'm already thinking of getting back to France once I've straightened out some domestic matters at home.

Level 8

Since: Oct 09

Paris France

#2298 Jul 1, 2013
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>Many white Americans have an ambivalent attitude toward Europe. In FACT, they are mainly descendants of Europeans as Blacks are mainly descendants of West Africans. But at times some white Americans look upon Europe--the Old World--as corrupt, effete, immoral, decadent, etc. But there's also the tendency to laud Western (often code for "white") civilization as the apex of human achievement. In this context, one may hear paens to the glories of Greece, Rome, the Renaissance, the Enlgihtement, Mozart, Tolstoy, Shakespeare and Descartess. At that point, obviously, the same Europe is being glorified for its brilliance.
I think there is an ambivalence in American-=-mainly white American--attitudes toward Europe which can be a bit unhealthy./
I tried to explore some of this a few years ago in a thread entitled: "HATING EUROPE: Do White Americans Despise their Ancestral Homeland." But keep in mind that some of the flavor of my comments was in reply to widespread American reactions Europe's refusal to support America's war in Iraq. There were even people talking about boycotting French wines, renaming French fries (which aren't even French) "freedom fries." Or returning to the old WWI practice of calling sauerkraut "liberty cabbage."
I don't like sauerkraut much anyway. But I made a point of purchasing extra bottles of French wines, and asking friends for French wines for my birthday when they asked me what I'd like.
Naw, I wasn't joining the parade of goosestepping behind the leader and the flag.
The best "sauerkraut" i.e. "choucroute" is ... French by the way.

Not for Summer time indeed but excellent in Winter.
For your next visit, I'll try to have you taste a good choucroute.
Alsatian white wines are perfect with it like Riesling or Pinot blanc or Pinot gris.

a (true gourmet) whiteboi

Level 8

Since: Oct 09

Paris France

#2299 Jul 1, 2013
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>I've not been to France since 1990, and cannot tell whether things have changed, or how much.
I do know that we Black Americans were often treated better than our white compatriots. However, one factor was that one seemed to find a broader range of white Americans in France. Most of the Black Americans I met there were artists, entrepreneurs, students, writers, actors, models, etc. Not many folk from the hood unless they were military.
Whites, who generally had more money, came from every part of white society except perhaps those too poor to travel. This meant that the French got to see more of our obtuse, Sarah Palin mentality white folk.
They didn't get to see--thank heavens!---our Herman Cains. LOL!
The Blacks who they saw (except for military folk) tended to be members of what W.E.B Du Bois once called our Talented Tenth. If a few like Reggie (from DC) came up from the hood, they were quite educated BEFORE they landed in Europe; and many of those I met in France could speak and write French.
Among white Americans, the "cultured" and uncooth were all thrown together. And it didn't help that this was during the time of Pres. Ronald Reagan, that Grand Doufus of the 1980s. LOL!
Some American whites were pretending they were from Canada, so embarrassed were they with the antics of some of their fellow Euro-Americans abroad.
Of course, my situation and that of Reggie might have been different if we were FRANCOPHONE Blacks from Mali or Martinique. Worse still if we'd been North Africans (or mistaken, like Angela Davis, for NOrth Africans).
Yet while fully aware of this, and indignant about French racism to their homegrown people of color, I can't deny enjoying being in a country in which my color didn't count as a deficit, and my AA culture (especially music) commonly counted as a plus. And to be able to take my mind off of RACE for even one or two months! I'm already thinking of getting back to France once I've straightened out some domestic matters at home.
Sir, you're always le bienvenu and your wife if both are traveling.
My AA mentor is practically using the same words as yours during his stays here and harbor exactly the same feelings.

We've been able to hear some prominent jazz players or singers in Paris (not even trying the numerous Summer festivals) he had not been able to see on stage in the US. By chance.

It does not mean that our traditions of welcoming people are not endangered today by the growth of Xenophobic Far Right National Front and on the other hand the lame policy of our so-called Socialists always ready to surrender on the voting rights of non European foreigners.

a whiteboi
Shining in darkness

Brisbane, Australia

#2300 Jul 1, 2013
Sinajuavi wrote:
<quoted text>
“White nations”...
that term might work for some European countries. But the USA?
Must I list the ethnic groups in this country? And who got here when?
Natives, Mexicans, blacks... all have been here as long or longer than the whites.
You racists have no grip on reality.
I am someone who strongly opposes the Islamification of Europe, ok, but in the USA, speaking of “minorities”, it is an entirely different history and dynamic.
Ok then how about White majority nations?.

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#2301 Jul 1, 2013
Shining in darkness wrote:
<quoted text>No Barry it was analogy for all White nations with some direct quotes from this hag.
http://youtu.be/4QoJGvEVogI
Oh wow. Jews will be resented for their leading role in making Europe more multicultural? Why MUST it take place, and why does she say Jews have a leading role? I would like to know.

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#2302 Jul 1, 2013
Loulou wrote:
<quoted text>
Black and white Americans look much more like each other than you think. You've been living together for so long time now. And have a lot in common. Most ppl just see you as Americans. More or less. You'll see black and white Americans living in Europe suddenly getting along very well. Because they have a common cultural background . White Europeans and white Americans is a very ambivalent combination. And we sometimes have verbal fights. We like you, but we also hate you. Lol
In college I used to hang out with about 4-5 Irish students. We got along pretty damn well. I did almost get into a fight in a local Irish pub here with one (not my friend but one of theirs) over some argument coming from differences in our nationalities. But we were also both full of Guinness at the time.

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#2303 Jul 1, 2013
Sinajuavi wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that some sort of condemnation? I should get a Congressional Medal of Honor for standing up for freedom.
Mexico? Right... Texas, New Mexico, California...
Stolen territory.
Just like the bloody Araboimperialists stole Israel.
Are you a supporter of MEChA?

Level 6

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#2304 Jul 1, 2013
Walter Henrickson wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a supporter of MEChA?
I worked with MEChA on campus. The quick answer is yes, but that doesn't mean I agree with them on every detail.

Check out this perspective: www.mexica-movement.org

This is more in line with my thinking, idealistically.

In my experience, MEChA was fighting legitimate battles on campus. They were opposing the various aspects of racism against them which were rampant. That's why I consistently assisted and supported them.

Level 6

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#2305 Jul 1, 2013
Shining in darkness wrote:
<quoted text>Ok then how about White majority nations?.
What about any majority in any nation? Should they expel all minorities? Must every nation be homogeneous ethnically? Why?

Your energies are misdirected and in a way which produces only negativity. In other words, you're a racist.

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#2306 Jul 1, 2013
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>But there's also the tendency to laud Western (often code for "white") civilization as the apex of human achievement. In this context, one may hear paens to the glories of Greece, Rome, the Renaissance, the Enlgihtement, Mozart, Tolstoy, Shakespeare and Descartess. At that point, obviously, the same Europe is being glorified for its brilliance.
Duh, America is an extension of Europe. It's called The West, or the Occident. You read too much into things when you talk about stuff like Americans "hating" Europe, and you do so because you want to.
Shining in darkness

Brisbane, Australia

#2307 Jul 1, 2013
Sinajuavi wrote:
<quoted text>
What about any majority in any nation? Should they expel all minorities? Must every nation be homogeneous ethnically? Why?
Your energies are misdirected and in a way which produces only negativity. In other words, you're a racist.
Barry you can call me a racist till the cows come home. I don't care but its making you sound like a parrot. I don't care if nations have a little bit of non White with useful races which are any but blacks lol. Exceptions being nations like my own that already had blacks here ETC. I do care however when immigration is being waged as a soft form of demographic warfare which is the case and its not going to end well.
Loulou

Slagelse, Denmark

#2308 Jul 1, 2013
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>I've not been to France since 1990, and cannot tell whether things have changed, or how much.
I do know that we Black Americans were often treated better than our white compatriots. However, one factor was that one seemed to find a broader range of white Americans in France. Most of the Black Americans I met there were artists, entrepreneurs, students, writers, actors, models, etc. Not many folk from the hood unless they were military.
Whites, who generally had more money, came from every part of white society except perhaps those too poor to travel. This meant that the French got to see more of our obtuse, Sarah Palin mentality white folk.
They didn't get to see--thank heavens!---our Herman Cains. LOL!
The Blacks who they saw (except for military folk) tended to be members of what W.E.B Du Bois once called our Talented Tenth. If a few like Reggie (from DC) came up from the hood, they were quite educated BEFORE they landed in Europe; and many of those I met in France could speak and write French.
Among white Americans, the "cultured" and uncooth were all thrown together. And it didn't help that this was during the time of Pres. Ronald Reagan, that Grand Doufus of the 1980s. LOL!
Some American whites were pretending they were from Canada, so embarrassed were they with the antics of some of their fellow Euro-Americans abroad.
Of course, my situation and that of Reggie might have been different if we were FRANCOPHONE Blacks from Mali or Martinique. Worse still if we'd been North Africans (or mistaken, like Angela Davis, for NOrth Africans).
Yet while fully aware of this, and indignant about French racism to their homegrown people of color, I can't deny enjoying being in a country in which my color didn't count as a deficit, and my AA culture (especially music) commonly counted as a plus. And to be able to take my mind off of RACE for even one or two months! I'm already thinking of getting back to France once I've straightened out some domestic matters at home.
I hope you and your wife will have a really good time in France.
Loulou

Slagelse, Denmark

#2309 Jul 1, 2013
Walter Henrickson wrote:
<quoted text>
Duh, America is an extension of Europe. It's called The West, or the Occident. You read too much into things when you talk about stuff like Americans "hating" Europe, and you do so because you want to.
I don't think Americans hate Europe. But how is America an extension of Europe?

Level 8

Since: Oct 09

Paris France

#2310 Jul 1, 2013
Walter Henrickson wrote:
<quoted text>
Duh, America is an extension of Europe. It's called The West, or the Occident. You read too much into things when you talk about stuff like Americans "hating" Europe, and you do so because you want to.
"extension of Europe" ? the "West" ?

maybe that is why N.S.A. is so intensely spying anything even our private emails ...

I think it is some more complicated than the prevailing situation in the 1940's to 1980's.

That being said, both similarities and differences are striking for any european visiting the USA for the 1st time and it's not only a question of distance though this contrast in "scale" has deep repercussions.

a (truly nice) whiteboi
LION

Charlotte, NC

#2311 Jul 2, 2013
Savant wrote:
<quoted text> It need not be an either/or proposition. There will probably always become some private enterprise. Even with my left-of-center convictions, I don't see much objectionable with such enterprises on a human scale. And thanks to our racial exclusion from the mainstream of capitalism (save as superexploited labor), Black private enterprises rarely if ever reach the scale of those corporate monsters which I despise. If you deal honestly and are civic minded, fine.
Still I think cooperative endaavors allow for greater democratic particpation of ordinary folk who are not entrepreneurs...ordinary working folk who are able to develop a heightened sense of community precisely because their enterprises are cooperative and requuire participatory democracy in order to work.
But like I said, nothing is off the table except exploitation and oppression. We simply must work to alleviate the social misery, poverty, stagnation, social dislocation and alienation which afflicts so much of the MASS of our people, however concealed behind the glitz and glamour of Black celebrities and "our first Black President."
The mass of our people? We all have choices in life to do good and make life financially comfortable. Even poor people can do the same.
Loulou

Slagelse, Denmark

#2312 Jul 2, 2013
Walter Henrickson wrote:
<quoted text>
Duh, America is an extension of Europe. It's called The West, or the Occident. You read too much into things when you talk about stuff like Americans "hating" Europe, and you do so because you want to.
Se denne video på YouTube:

http://youtu.be/AucsvrC9V68
The Swedes and others were slaves too, not born free. My Swedish ancestors knew what whipping, rape and starvation was. They were sent to work at the age of six.
Loulou

Slagelse, Denmark

#2313 Jul 2, 2013
LION wrote:
<quoted text>
The mass of our people? We all have choices in life to do good and make life financially comfortable. Even poor people can do the same.
Are you sure? This is so simple Maslow. Schoolkid Maslow. That if you don't have proper nutriton ( obesety is a poverty problem in the Western world ). If you don't have access to medicalcare. Can afford medicin. Don't have proper housing. Then you do NOT have a choise . America has 3rd world conditions in some areas. And you make it an individual responsability .
Loulou

Slagelse, Denmark

#2314 Jul 2, 2013
Walter Henrickson wrote:
<quoted text>
Duh, America is an extension of Europe. It's called The West, or the Occident. You read too much into things when you talk about stuff like Americans "hating" Europe, and you do so because you want to.
And finally I'd like to know if America is an extension of Europe. Is it for the better or the worse?

Level 6

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#2315 Jul 2, 2013
Loulou wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think Americans hate Europe. But how is America an extension of Europe?
Due to colonialism. Even many of the notions of “freedom” which were agitating the British N American colonies had origins in England and Europe.

One can see in Mexican cities certain aspects of architecture and city planning which are obviously of Spanish influence. Likewise in the USA one sees English influence, along with Spanish.

There are certain cultural similarities to be observed among the “anglosaxon” world, as well as between European-created countries on other continents and Europe.

The societies of India or China are more rooted in their own ancient cultures, but in the USA, New Zealand, etc., the European elements predominate. Europe en outre mer, n'est-ce pas?

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Level 8

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#2316 Jul 2, 2013
Walter Henrickson wrote:
<quoted text>
Duh, America is an extension of Europe. It's called The West, or the Occident. You read too much into things when you talk about stuff like Americans "hating" Europe, and you do so because you want to.
I don't think so. First, the DOMINANT culture in America is European. Need I remind you that the original inhabitants were NOT Europeans? Or that Blacks and Asians originated elsewhere than in Europe.
I've done some study of American attitudes towards Europe, and observations of white American attitudes even toward contemporary Europe. And I do find that ambivalence toward Europe that I described.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Grey Ghost 1,191,543
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 4 min unfazed 109,551
The Sick Black Male Sociopaths-RUN FAST! (Nov '12) 6 min sweetiepie 8
All women prefer white men 10 min canday 2,621
Barros, get in here, boy!: Explain the Caste Sy... 10 min Wadi 1
About foreign born blacks. ---------- (Jun '14) 10 min Johnny 737
Hip hop has destroy black minds (Sep '11) 12 min Big Knob 69
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 56 min The Jebusite 31,201
Sarah Palin: “We Abolished Slavery And Got Obama 1 hr Edward Teach 8
New Study: White birth rate RISING in USA! 1 hr Africologist PhD 55
More from around the web