Good times: James Evans

“reppin' dat 2up 2 down”

Since: Sep 07

Va

#148 Feb 2, 2008
VIXEN077 wrote:
<quoted text>James & Florida didn't know J.J was in a gang until he was shot in front of them. And Michael was already part of a assault on a man in the neighborhood. And why send Micheal to a white school? Why not try to bring the school that's in the black neighborhood up? Florida didn't work so why wasn't she involved in the PTA. Only time James or Florida went down to that school was when Michael or J.J was in trouble. If James and Florida was so interested in their children's education why wasn't they more involved in their school?
How were they supposed to bring up the school in their neighborhood?Those white folks didn't care about making a black school better for inner city kids, even to this day they still don't.Plus what person living in that bad neighborhood is gonna wanna come home at night from a pta meeting with a chance of being robbed or killed?James and Florida going to that school when their kids got in trouble was good, at least they cared to find out why their kids were in trouble.Some of these parents now days don't even care, as a matter of fact some of these parents today let their kids drop out at 15.If they weren't interested in their kids education then why did they tell michael he could go to any school he wanted regardless of it being full of whites?Why were they so proud of jj's painting skills?Why were they supportive of thelma's dream of being an actress?Why were their kids even in school in the first place?Because their parents did care.

“reppin' dat 2up 2 down”

Va

#149 Feb 2, 2008
VIXEN077 wrote:
<quoted text>"Whipped them because he loved them"? What kind of love is that? That's the same mentality that women/men who are in abusive relationship tell themselves. If you ask a group of people who was raised by parents who used belts, shoes, hangers, cords etc... if they would beat their own children, a large majority would say NO. A father's voice should be enough to get children in line.
You know what, I don't really care how you put it.James did not abuse those kids.He did not burn them with irons, beat them with a metal bar or whatever.He beat them with a belt.Some people choose to discipline their kids with words and some do it with a belt.My mom used the belt on my brothers and I but she did not abuse us.And you are so wrong,when I have kids one day I will beat them with a belt if they get out of line.Thats whats wrong with these smart a$$ kids nowadays.The parents don't discipline them and now they scared of their own kids.I'll be damned id my daughter or son talks back to me any kind of way.I will use that belt.
C-Bisquit

United States

#150 Feb 2, 2008
James Evans sucked as a father angry a$$ mad cause he had that crack baby J.J. stereo typical screw up.

“reppin' dat 2up 2 down”

Va

#151 Feb 2, 2008
VIXEN077 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm 30. I'm not disputing the fact that fathers were not in their children's life. I'm just stating sometimes a absent is best for a child.
How is your father being absent from your life the best thing?My father was barely in my life, and it hurts because he doesn't even know my birthday, I don't even think he knows my middle name.I went over his house on the past Christmas and he didn't even recognize me.That made me want to cry.I'd rather have a father like James who whipped me when I got out of line,didn't want me to work late as a teen girl, than have a dad like mines who doesn't even know the stuff about me that a dad should.

“can't we talk about it....”

Since: Jan 08

chicago

#152 Feb 2, 2008
VIXEN077 wrote:
<quoted text>James Evans always had money for a bottle of wine, I think it was "Muskatale". And the comment about James not hitting Florida, there is no way a man with the temper like James Evans can control himself. James Evans was an abusing mentally and physically. Florida and the children had to walk around on eggshells when he was home, couldn't voice an opinion about anything, and GOD FORBID Florida or the children disagreed with him, James would walk over to that person, nostrils flared, and grab his belt and say "I didn't hear you clearly. What did you say?" James Evans physically abused his children, he would beat J.J, Thelma, and Michael with a man's belt till they wasn't able to sit down. What kind of love is that? I see your avatar and you have a picture of your beautiful children in there, do you see yourself beat your babies with a belt till they cannot sit down anymore? There's a thin line between discipline and child abuse.
Vix, you saw James pull the Same bottle of muskatell from under the little stand thingy, and only a hand full of times in all the years...and he had a job at the carwash for a long time, and at the warehouse for the rest...he tried to get better jobs along the way...he handled discipline in the old school way that kept us all respectful if nothing else,did you notice any lack of love? Everybody was on tiptoe when he was home? He was written a good father.That's why his kids didn't fall to the way side when he died. Of course they did some things, I mean you could hardly write them living in the jets and having absolutly no mistakes. But Jmaes always stepped in to man up for the welfare of his children.Isn't what James was the very soul of the things we say are missing in our men today? What kind of family unit would you prefer?NOTE:You can't actually beat somebody on the rear until they can't sit down without having to have medical help.What kind of wuppins did you get...cane-ings?

“ZZZZZZZ”

Since: Oct 07

ATL

#153 Feb 3, 2008
VIXEN077 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm 30. I'm not disputing the fact that fathers were not in their children's life. I'm just stating sometimes a absent is best for a child.
Vixen this topic hasn't changed the way I feel about you, I just disagree with you on this topic.

“my curves will amaze you”

hampton

#154 Feb 3, 2008
tommy aka batman wrote:
<quoted text>any black man without a proper education will struggle with holding a job. James,like many black people at that time, dropped out of school to start working to help families. I have an uncle who dropped out in the 4th grade and worked ever since. He is now 66 years old.
Tell me about your wonderful,without blemish father. Or the father you must despise.
i'm feeling you tommy aka batman.something is up with that.either her father was perfect or he was despised.
Abigail

Manchester, UK

#155 Feb 3, 2008
I do not think that James was a failure at life. During that time many black men that were accused of not being able to hold down a job because their weren't as many for them to hold down. It is hard when you live in a dangerous neighborhood with teenage children that you want to keep safe from harm and prison. You want to keep a job but you can be replaced when the white owner of a company can fire you with no pay package. You have rent to pay, food to buy and people to cloth when you do not know where it is going to come from. James was not going out and getting drunk every night. He was always TRYING to find a job, he got laid off. That happens a lot even now regardless of education because people that make economic decisions see numbers not human beings. You had a traditional male who was proud and did not want his wife to work. He wanted to support her but the weight of the world was on his shoulders and apparently it is true that the man is judged harshly as a failure even when he has done his best. There are a lot of James Evans out there and before it is done and over with there are going to be even more.

“my curves will amaze you”

hampton

#156 Feb 3, 2008
Abigail wrote:
I do not think that James was a failure at life. During that time many black men that were accused of not being able to hold down a job because their weren't as many for them to hold down. It is hard when you live in a dangerous neighborhood with teenage children that you want to keep safe from harm and prison. You want to keep a job but you can be replaced when the white owner of a company can fire you with no pay package. You have rent to pay, food to buy and people to cloth when you do not know where it is going to come from. James was not going out and getting drunk every night. He was always TRYING to find a job, he got laid off. That happens a lot even now regardless of education because people that make economic decisions see numbers not human beings. You had a traditional male who was proud and did not want his wife to work. He wanted to support her but the weight of the world was on his shoulders and apparently it is true that the man is judged harshly as a failure even when he has done his best. There are a lot of James Evans out there and before it is done and over with there are going to be even more.
great post.
Abigail

Manchester, UK

#157 Feb 3, 2008
dora5132 wrote:
<quoted text>great post.
Thanks. I feel that people need to learn that there is a muddy line between the things that you want in life and the things that you have to do. There are so many people that are trying so so very hard for a better life and because they are not attaining it then they are viewed as failures when to be honest it simply is not true. Most business fail, most people don't stay with one job for 30 years. I think that we have gotten so caught up with having items, told what is beautiful, if you are not Bill Gates or a rap that you are somehow not living up to your potential. I am not saying that we can not aspire to have things and live a good life but good lord some of us are TOLD what a good life is with out taking the time to find out WHAT it is to and for us.

“At Peace”

Since: Jul 07

BROOKLYN N.Y

#158 Feb 5, 2008
stereo type breaker wrote:
<quoted text>Vixen this topic hasn't changed the way I feel about you, I just disagree with you on this topic.
I haven't lost any love for you either. You're free to disagree with me on any subject. You're still my brown bear.:)
lovable1

Bolivar, TN

#159 Feb 5, 2008
VIXEN wrote:
Please. James Evans from "good times" was a horrible father. His a** couldn't keep a job and was always yelling.Plus he wore tight pants and even tighter shirts. And his nose was GREASY and SHINY. I was glad when he left the show. After he left their life got alot better, Florida meet and married a nice man that got her out the projects, J.J became a successful artist, Michael went to school, Thelma married keith who was a football star(then jj broke his leg and ended his career)but i think he got his life together, and penny became a singer with a crazy brother. I hated James Evans. P.S.. I watch to much T.V land
oh, no...
lovable1

Bolivar, TN

#160 Feb 5, 2008
Kathy Kat wrote:
<quoted text>lol lol too funny
girl, i can't seem to stop laughing...my stomach... and wasn't that a kind of ghetto show? u know that girl penny was janet jackson. and buffalo butt? how about walona woods? florida evans turned into a voodoo priestess and she was supposed to be morally good.

“ZZZZZZZ”

Since: Oct 07

ATL

#161 Feb 5, 2008
VIXEN077 wrote:
<quoted text>I haven't lost any love for you either. You're free to disagree with me on any subject. You're still my brown bear.:)
Give me a hug!!!
Tender Luv

Las Vegas, NV

#162 Jun 16, 2008
I loved James Evans he was a great example of a black man being with his family trying to do right by them although I believe that he could have done more with them as far as religion goes.
nappy neffie

Saint Petersburg, FL

#163 Jun 17, 2008
ya'll need to lay off james. thats my dude!it seemed like he got hit with the "temporary lay-off" every week but that man still managed to scrape up money every week and keep buffalo butt from evicting them. and he was a strong, loving, no-non sense kind of dad.he did alot of yellin, but it was because he was frustrated and stressed due to the lack of money. you know florida ass aint never have no job until after season 3 when james died. but he was good dad in my opinion. too bad it aint more brothas out here like him.

216 Elite

“Mad Izm”

Since: Mar 08

Northfield, OH

#164 Jun 17, 2008
The man was STRONG! And here's some reasons why....

&am p;feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Black And Proud Forever

“You're gonna say it anyway....”

I'm over it!

#165 Jun 17, 2008
VIXEN wrote:
Please. James Evans from "good times" was a horrible father. His a** couldn't keep a job and was always yelling.Plus he wore tight pants and even tighter shirts. And his nose was GREASY and SHINY. I was glad when he left the show. After he left their life got alot better, Florida meet and married a nice man that got her out the projects, J.J became a successful artist, Michael went to school, Thelma married keith who was a football star(then jj broke his leg and ended his career)but i think he got his life together, and penny became a singer with a crazy brother. I hated James Evans. P.S.. I watch to much T.V land
And the show ended.

“I'm dat nica they can't stand”

Since: Dec 07

Tru Orleans

#166 Jun 18, 2008
It's a shame that black people actually said he was a poor excuse for a father.

Even white mobsters say a man who doesn't spend time with his family is not a real man.

JAMES WAS THERE.

Yet sistas are judging him by his wallet,and not his heart.

So sad we are. Sorry Yoda came out.

216 Elite

“Mad Izm”

Since: Mar 08

Northfield, OH

#167 Jun 18, 2008
nappy neffie wrote:
ya'll need to lay off james. thats my dude!it seemed like he got hit with the "temporary lay-off" every week but that man still managed to scrape up money every week and keep buffalo butt from evicting them. and he was a strong, loving, no-non sense kind of dad.he did alot of yellin, but it was because he was frustrated and stressed due to the lack of money. you know florida ass aint never have no job until after season 3 when james died. but he was good dad in my opinion. too bad it aint more brothas out here like him.
Its alot of brothas out here like that, you just refused to look, and were too desperate for some false perfection, so you ran to a white man! Most females in this white amerikkkan society follow in their masters footsteps and chase the devilish temptations of fame,power, riches, and a certain standard of beauty that they have brainwashed the world with....and of course white supremacy has set in the minds of our people that you can only obtain that and be like that by being with them, and mixing with them!

James evans family is what the typical hard-working and spiritual black family is about, and thats what is really NATURAL!

You fools keep following in the white man's spiral towards destruction, and you will suffer just like them!

Black And Proud Forever

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min FYVM 1,405,044
Where in the world is the NRA 2 min Kato 136
Islam an empire of faith (Oct '12) 3 min dcool 7,117
Time for Reparations 3 min Drilling for the ... 15
Why are YOU voting for Hillary ? 5 min RMG El Rey de Tra... 11
News Who Are The Real Children Of Israel? (Jul '10) 5 min Moses 991
Le PAPYRUS de KAMARA (Nov '15) 7 min dcool 1,049
I am Calling all the US whites European Americans 18 min Moses 76
What race are Somalis? (Aug '07) 3 hr Moses 14,529
The DNC Convention 9 hr No Pants Suit 56