Have Black Colleges Out-lived their U...

Have Black Colleges Out-lived their Usefullness?

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 24
Next Last

Ric Ricland

“"Same as it ever was..."”

Since: Jan 07

Dayton, OH

#1 Dec 18, 2007
My problem with black colleges is their anti-intellectualism. Even on the Campus of Howard University, the supposed "Black Harvard," a narrow black anti-intellectual culture persists.

During the Jena 6 circus virtually everyone at all the HBUCs walked around with a "Free the Jena 6" T-shirt.

This kind of uniformed thinking at an institution of higher learning should be deeply troubling to us. It signals there's a culture at these places that discourages independent thinking.

Last year I was at Nashville's TSU when the BET College Tour came on campus. It was sick. The BET College Tour is a bunch of unknown rappers with 10 foot speakers. The speakers are placed in an open area, cranked up to the max and for 10 hours these ignorant, half-dressed ghetto rappers scream profanities at the students who scream back.

The entire campus comes to screeching halt.

Everyone is running around like wild animals. And before one of you idiots compare it to Spring Break, the point here is that BET is an enemy of the people. No force in America is more responsible for the rebirth of words like N--ger, hoe, bytch, than is BET, yet these students worship BET.

ricland
Black college balony

Miami, FL

#2 Dec 18, 2007
If it is ok that there are "black colleges" shouldn't it be ok that there be "white colleges". Neither are acceptable..there should just be colleges. If it is acceptable that there is mainstream "Black Entertainment Television" then a "White Entertainment Television" should be acceptable. There should not be a double standard and there should not be a BET or WET.

Ric Ricland

Dayton, OH

#3 Dec 18, 2007
Black college balony wrote:
If it is ok that there are "black colleges" shouldn't it be ok that there be "white colleges". Neither are acceptable..there should just be colleges. If it is acceptable that there is mainstream "Black Entertainment Television" then a "White Entertainment Television" should be acceptable. There should not be a double standard and there should not be a BET or WET.
You need to get back to your dusting and mopping instead of messing with your boss's kid's computer.

ricland

“I am not a stereotype”

Since: Nov 07

Johnston, RI

#4 Dec 19, 2007
Ric Ricland wrote:
My problem with black colleges is their anti-intellectualism. Even on the Campus of Howard University, the supposed "Black Harvard," a narrow black anti-intellectual culture persists.
During the Jena 6 circus virtually everyone at all the HBUCs walked around with a "Free the Jena 6" T-shirt.
This kind of uniformed thinking at an institution of higher learning should be deeply troubling to us. It signals there's a culture at these places that discourages independent thinking.
Last year I was at Nashville's TSU when the BET College Tour came on campus. It was sick. The BET College Tour is a bunch of unknown rappers with 10 foot speakers. The speakers are placed in an open area, cranked up to the max and for 10 hours these ignorant, half-dressed ghetto rappers scream profanities at the students who scream back.
Everyone is running around like wild animals. And before one of you idiots compare it to Spring Break, the point here is that BET is an enemy of the people. No force in America is more responsible for the rebirth of words like N--ger, hoe, bytch, than is BET, yet these students worship BET.
ricland
I agree with your points. These schools need to step it up or be shut down. When I see footage of these schools I just shake my head in shame. They should have never existed in the first place.
Spikewebbe

Jersey City, NJ

#5 Dec 19, 2007
Black college balony wrote:
You're ignorant; there are Women's Colleges, Christian Colleges, Catholic Colleges, are those schools outdated also? Any thing Black is always bashed by certain white people. There's Catholic television stations, Spanish television stations, Portugese, Gay television stations, again BET gets bashed. Regular network TV is predominately white. I watch a lot of TV and some show's casts are entirely white and you don't hear black people complaining. BET--so what, one major black station out of hundreds.
Maquiame

Suffern, NY

#6 Dec 19, 2007
the only thing outdated about black colleges is their curriculums, not enough emphasis on technology.
Spikewebbe

Jersey City, NJ

#7 Dec 19, 2007
Maquiame wrote:
the only thing outdated about black colleges is their curriculums, not enough emphasis on technology.
I take it you've researched all of the Black colleges regarding this? Again, anything Black and White people will pick apart.

Ric Ricland

New Richmond, OH

#8 Dec 19, 2007
Spikewebbe wrote:
<quoted text>
You're ignorant; there are Women's Colleges, Christian Colleges, Catholic Colleges, are those schools outdated also? Any thing Black is always bashed by certain white people. There's Catholic television stations, Spanish television stations, Portugese, Gay television stations, again BET gets bashed. Regular network TV is predominately white. I watch a lot of TV and some show's casts are entirely white and you don't hear black people complaining. BET--so what, one major black station out of hundreds.
The discussion isn't about the right of black colleges to exist, it's about whether they've outlived their usefulness.

Don't you understand anything, you HBUC reject?

ricland
Maquiame

Suffern, NY

#9 Dec 19, 2007
Spikewebbe wrote:
<quoted text>
I take it you've researched all of the Black colleges regarding this? Again, anything Black and White people will pick apart.
Yes I have, and im talking about more than just computer science.

“ the Crusher of Bigots”

Since: Jul 07

Self Proclaimed Scholar

#10 Dec 19, 2007
BlackChild wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with your points. These schools need to step it up or be shut down. When I see footage of these schools I just shake my head in shame. They should have never existed in the first place.
While I believe they are becoming useless Just o you know HBCU were made during Jim Crow you stuipd peice of rat [email protected]

“ the Crusher of Bigots”

Self Proclaimed Scholar

#11 Dec 19, 2007
Ric Ricland wrote:
ricland
I mean the black community discourages free independent thinking and individuality PERIOD. If we talk a certain way...We're White, If we take steps to learn, listen to other other forms of music...We're White. Rock is a White Music, Country is a Whit music...I even heard some dumbass say Jazz was white.

Then these same people ae the same fools breaking their necks to marry a white chick.

These same MORONS cry and pussyfuss anout racism bu listen to Rap Music howmng blacks acting like the EPITOMY of Ignorance. They encourage the degration of our race with that crap.'

They where Free Jena Six shits but ignore the Aids and Black on Black crime.

“ the Crusher of Bigots”

Self Proclaimed Scholar

#12 Dec 19, 2007
Maquiame wrote:
What are they waiting on...?
Spikewebbe

Jersey City, NJ

#13 Dec 19, 2007
Ric Ricland wrote:
<quoted text>
The discussion isn't about the right of black colleges to exist, it's about whether they've outlived their usefulness.
Don't you understand anything, you HBUC reject?
ricland
Why have they outlived their usefullness? Just because you think so? What do you know about Black colleges? How can a place where people are getting quality college educations outlive their usefulness? Again, anything Black is always inferior. I think you're the reject.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#14 Dec 19, 2007
Have HBCU's outlived their usefulness? Not yet, but they are well on their way. The last stats I read on HBCU's were that approx. 40% of Black college grads get their degrees from one. I think that number is still high enough not to write them off, but I have to concur with Ric about the overall quality of students attending some of the "less prestigious" HBCUs. TSU is a marvelous example. The low standards at that University are appalling. There has to be a cutoff...standards can only sink so low before a degree from an institution becomes meaningless. Fisk is good. Meharry is good. TSU is like 4 more years of high school with big Step Shows included.

My personal opinion on American Universities in general is they are too easy to get into and too easy to get out of. Our generalized emphasis on "education" is diluted and insubstantial - if I had a dollar for every college grad I've met that could not analyze and critique info, I'd be a rich man... Of course this is the opinion of a confessed egghead.

“The One You Love To Hate”

Level 1

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#16 Dec 19, 2007
I believe that black colleges have outlived their usefullness.

I went to school at Clark Atlanta University, a small private college in Atlanta, GA. I regret that decision. I was overcharged and the quality of my education I could have recieved if I had stayed in Mississippi and went to a public college.

I regret the decision to leave home (Mississippi) to this very day. Sure, Atlanta was fun, however, it seems like when I compare the accomplishments of my Mississippi friends who stayed in Mississippi to the accomplishments of my Atlanta friends; my hometown friends are doing much better financially and in every other aspect of their life. Plus, they are not in so much debt from student loans.

I learned an expensive lesson.

“Dream Big and Go Boldly”

Since: May 07

Miami Beach, Florida

#17 Dec 19, 2007
Jari-ankamun wrote:
<quoted text>
I mean the black community discourages free independent thinking and individuality PERIOD. If we talk a certain way...We're White, If we take steps to learn, listen to other other forms of music...We're White. Rock is a White Music, Country is a Whit music...I even heard some dumbass say Jazz was white.
Then these same people ae the same fools breaking their necks to marry a white chick.
These same MORONS cry and pussyfuss anout racism bu listen to Rap Music howmng blacks acting like the EPITOMY of Ignorance. They encourage the degration of our race with that crap.'
They where Free Jena Six shits but ignore the Aids and Black on Black crime.
Great Post! There is a lot of anti-intellectualism and intolerance in the Black community. Individuality is actively discouraged. You are made to feel like a freak and a social outcast if you don't conform. I think HBCU's actively promote this mindset. I noticed that the Blacks I have the most difficulty getting along with and who put me down(and this includes those in my extended family)attended HBCU's. I attended a large state university where I made lifelong friends of all races that shared my interests. I did not attend a HBCU because I knew I would be a social outcast. There are so many options in higher education now than there were fifty or sixty years ago. HBCU's HAVE outlived their usefulness in my opinion.

Level 1

Since: Dec 07

Memphis, TN

#19 Dec 19, 2007
Yolanda wrote:
I believe that black colleges have outlived their usefullness.
I went to school at Clark Atlanta University, a small private college in Atlanta, GA. I regret that decision. I was overcharged and the quality of my education I could have recieved if I had stayed in Mississippi and went to a public college.
I regret the decision to leave home (Mississippi) to this very day. Sure, Atlanta was fun, however, it seems like when I compare the accomplishments of my Mississippi friends who stayed in Mississippi to the accomplishments of my Atlanta friends; my hometown friends are doing much better financially and in every other aspect of their life. Plus, they are not in so much debt from student loans.
I learned an expensive lesson.
Thats what happens when you go to a private out of state college. Thats was your fault, not the schools

Level 1

Since: Dec 07

Memphis, TN

#20 Dec 19, 2007
I dont think they have outlived their usefulness.
The are not black only colleges, just colleges where blacks coud get an education becaue we could not attend white schools, many still choose to go to them because of cost and they like to learn around others that look like them, anyone can attend though, whites and other groups can go for free. Dont whites attend mostly white schools. Stop hatin on your own. Oprah Winfrey Graduated from TSU. They're just schools, go learn and shut up.

Oh, and Johnny, Meharry is TSU, its the Medical part. And Fisaint what it used to be. And if folks are going to the University of Phoenix and doing just fine then, they'll do just fine graduating from an HBCU, Yolanda!!

Location hidden

#21 Dec 19, 2007
Anubus wrote:
<quoted text>
You are misinformed.
I was offered scholarship to Jackson State University.
I didn't go because I ended up in military.
Put you up on GAME..
Upon leaving military I went to white school in N.E spent $15 K/year my HBCU colleague's spent $8K/y.
They make same money yearly I make with less college debt.
What university did you attend?
I attended Western Kentucky University and University of Tennessee Knoxville on full academic scholarship.

I'm not sure I follow you on the source of my misinformation...please clarify?

Location hidden

#22 Dec 19, 2007
Nomadic wrote:
I dont think they have outlived their usefulness.
The are not black only colleges, just colleges where blacks coud get an education becaue we could not attend white schools, many still choose to go to them because of cost and they like to learn around others that look like them, anyone can attend though, whites and other groups can go for free. Dont whites attend mostly white schools. Stop hatin on your own. Oprah Winfrey Graduated from TSU. They're just schools, go learn and shut up.
Oh, and Johnny, Meharry is TSU, its the Medical part. And Fisaint what it used to be. And if folks are going to the University of Phoenix and doing just fine then, they'll do just fine graduating from an HBCU, Yolanda!!
Meharry and Fisk have long, reputable histories. The decline is real; Fisk is in danger of closing it's doors. Meharry has been plagued by financial troubles as well, a lot of which goes back to the merger of General Hospital. TSU is not in the same league as Meharry or Fisk by many measure...It's like Audi buying Lamborghini.

I agree with you that HBCUs are still viable. But I do think that as times go on they will have to distinguish themselves beyond the moniker "HBCU" in order to remain viable.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 24
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Albino Run Topix AFAM is being Abandoned by Bla... 3 min bluestreak returns 9
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min RealDave 1,421,347
News Watch Al Sharpton call for 1 million new voters... 4 min Joe Balls 27
Clinton unfavorable rating skyrockets 4 min Paula Jones 2016 2
Brazil votes to impeach corrupt leftist president 4 min RMG EL Rey de Tra... 3
Why are Blacks So Annoying (Dec '14) 5 min lch2040 47
Topix 5 min MeSo 7
Why aren't there any Negroes in the Bible? 11 min MICHA 637
Trump will carry atleast 25% of the BLACK VOTE 28 min fluer 333
49er QB Colin Kaepernick is WAKING UP 34 min Go Blue Forever 141