Pongo Pigmayus

Little Rock, AR

#439 Feb 8, 2014
Ask their English teachers and they'll tell you that they cannot write a coherent sentence, yet you expect them to speak one.

“New venture, old theme”

Since: Jan 11

Monterey Ca

#440 Feb 8, 2014
Desmond Sandiford wrote:
<quoted text>interesting contextual employment of the term "abscond" from an interloper imposing an unwelcome and unsavory sojourn unto the african american forum. however, demonstrating your proficiency and eloquent mastery of the most authentic forms of ebonics with constant repetitions of "homie" and "dawg" at the end of every sentence does distinguish you as a bilingual wonder. bestow upon us more of that enlightened erudition you gleaned from the streets of your trailer park. we're all most interested in the authoritative affectations of a presumptuous cumquat such as yourself.
"demonstrating your proficiency and eloquent mastery of the most authentic forms of ebonics with constant repetitions of "homie" and "dawg" at the end of every sentence"

Don't forget about the phrase - NO WAT IM SAYIN, after and in between every friggin sentence ad nauseam.

Afro American vernacular, such as >>> YO, HOMIE, DAWG, and NO WAT IM SAYIN is the quintessence of modern Ebonics. Apparently; for a buffoon who claims to be a stern practitioner of Ebonics, you seem to be totally benighted to even the most basic Ebonics jargon.

"bestow upon us more of that enlightened erudition you gleaned from the streets of your trailer park."

Da hood, trailer park, whatever; that's where the advent of urban slang originated, or perhaps you weren't aware of that either?!? Fucking phony cretin.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Level 8

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#441 Feb 8, 2014
why wrote:
why do black people speak Ebonics at all? America is made up of people from all over the world, you have the English, French, Spanish, German, African, Korean, Chinese etc etc. Every race that comes to this country starts learning the English language, they may have accents but there still speaking English. African American's don't want to speak proper English they say things like Let me axe you sumin or who that is, or Check yo' self, what ya be doin etc etc Why? I work in a call center and the African Americans that work there speak like this to people on the phone it amazes me. Why not just learn and speak English like every other race on the planet that is living in America
"Every other race on the planet" in America doesn't speak proper English, Most white people do not speak "proper" or "standard" English. There is an African-American dialect or "accent," just as there are Korean, French and Chinese accents. Those accents are not any more English than what African Americans speak. African American speech isn't any less English than the speech of others. It is one ethnic speech pattern among others. What is called standard English is the speech of a minority--mainly the business, professional and intellectual strata. Black within those social strata are also inclined to speak standard English. The masses do not. But neither do the masses of those other ethnic groups you mention.
The deriding of African American speech is really nothing more than thinly disguised racism. The same racism that prompted someone to start this thread. Case closed.

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#442 Feb 9, 2014
our expert assessment based on exhaustive research reveals that the quintessence of ebonics is dawg, and homie and no what I'm sayin. what an astute observation from a such a keen intellect. clearly, you're widely respected for your myriad highly informed opinions. Just as you were able to see through hundreds of years of cultural evolution and linguistic morphology to discover that ebonics originated originated in da hood, no doubt coinciding with the origins of rap music. Congratulations sir, you truly have a gift for intuitive analysis of untold quantities of factual data encompassing centuries worth of documented experiences and boiling it down to drivel.
Seduciary wrote:
<quoted text>
"demonstrating your proficiency and eloquent mastery of the most authentic forms of ebonics with constant repetitions of "homie" and "dawg" at the end of every sentence"
Don't forget about the phrase - NO WAT IM SAYIN, after and in between every friggin sentence ad nauseam.
Afro American vernacular, such as >>> YO, HOMIE, DAWG, and NO WAT IM SAYIN is the quintessence of modern Ebonics. Apparently; for a buffoon who claims to be a stern practitioner of Ebonics, you seem to be totally benighted to even the most basic Ebonics jargon.
"bestow upon us more of that enlightened erudition you gleaned from the streets of your trailer park."
Da hood, trailer park, whatever; that's where the advent of urban slang originated, or perhaps you weren't aware of that either?!? Fucking phony cretin.
simple

Voorhees, NJ

#443 Feb 9, 2014
because it is fun you idiot..!!
simple

Voorhees, NJ

#444 Feb 9, 2014
black people speak broken English or the Entertainment value!!!!!
simple

Voorhees, NJ

#445 Feb 9, 2014
for the entertainment value..
Jerry

Frisco, TX

#446 Feb 9, 2014
Ok. I'm African American and I speak proper. Why do you feel the need to insult African Americans. We talk like this because you Caucasians tried to keep us from being educated while we were slaves. Because you guys were afraid we'd become bigger and better than you guys. I don't have a problem with Caucasians. I grew up in a city surrounded by them. My best friends are Caucasians. It's just the African Americans who live in the city who talk that. We talk that because it's our culture. We talk normal English while integrating our own style, and that's why we speak improper. White people down say I reckon and y'all and ain't so you guys are really no different.
Askia Muhammad

Fremont, CA

#447 Feb 9, 2014
Black people speak soulfully. You soulless pasty abominations would know nothing about that.

“100%”

Level 8

Since: Jan 10

United States

#448 Feb 9, 2014
The only PPL who speak English correctly or the proper way are British PPL. Everyone else has deviated somewhat from the correct pronunciation of many of the words. The question is meaningless coming from someone who isn't British.

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

#449 Feb 9, 2014
Redefined wrote:
The only PPL who speak English correctly or the proper way are British PPL. Everyone else has deviated somewhat from the correct pronunciation of many of the words. The question is meaningless coming from someone who isn't British.
Even the form known as British English has evolved as well. This includes the various dialects used in the UK.
To the point if you listen to a person of UK extraction. You can pretty much identify what part of the UK he or she comes from. Even in some ways to the particular county. And to a bit of a degree, the town/city that is in that county.
Clubber Lang

Suisun City, CA

#450 Feb 9, 2014
I need closed captions to understand black people from the deep south like new orleans. The way they butcher the english language should be punishable with a fine.

“100%”

Level 8

Since: Jan 10

United States

#452 Feb 10, 2014
Sangelia wrote:
<quoted text>
Even the form known as British English has evolved as well. This includes the various dialects used in the UK.
To the point if you listen to a person of UK extraction. You can pretty much identify what part of the UK he or she comes from. Even in some ways to the particular county. And to a bit of a degree, the town/city that is in that county.
Yes this is normal and anyone involved in Linguistics knows dialects, pronunciations and accents often evolve after migrations. The rules is the only thing which shouldn't change because this would be Improper English.

Level 8

Baltimore, Md.

#453 Feb 10, 2014
Sangelia wrote:
<quoted text>
Moreover, all British people do not speak in the same way. Britannia has a number of dialects and accents, not all of which would count as fomrs of the King's (or Queen's) English.

Level 8

Baltimore, Md.

#454 Feb 10, 2014
My Shoes Need Shined wrote:
<quoted text>You're an idiot.
Ebonics isn't a "dialect", and it DAM sure isn't an "accent".
This post also reveals a lack of familiarity with 'standard English". It's also shows cultural illiteracy and bigotry.

Level 8

Baltimore, Md.

#455 Feb 10, 2014
Clubber Lang wrote:
I need closed captions to understand black people from the deep south like new orleans. The way they butcher the english language should be punishable with a fine.
Actually, this person needs INTELLIGENCE to understand Black people from the South and elsewhere. Perhaps Clubber's stupidity should be punished with a fine.

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

#456 Feb 10, 2014
Savant wrote:
<quoted text> Moreover, all British people do not speak in the same way. Britannia has a number of dialects and accents, not all of which would count as fomrs of the King's (or Queen's) English.
True.
Because also each area, even each job even in England has also it's own words that is part of the English language that is not used by other folks who are not in that area, or works that type of job. Since those words describe something unique to that particular area.
TheTroof

Charlotte, NC

#457 Feb 21, 2014
Wynn wrote:
I don't understand how any self respecting African-American would speak it or teach their child to speak it in a public setting.
1. The majority of people outside their community don't understand them.
2. Can't get a job outside of being behind closed doors(dish washer) because they can't speak properly.
3. Appears(Well they are) to be less educated to the vast population.
I'm sure there are more reasons...
I respect immigrants who come to this country not speaking perfect language but at least they're attempting and a a few months to a year they will have their english down and be perfectly understandable. I mean sometimes they speak their native tongue inside their own home, that's perfectly fine.
I've never was taught to use ebonics and I just want to know why people would hinder themselves in public settings by using such slang.
Why? Because they are lazy, stupid, and can't be bothered to try and communicate in an intelligent fashion.

Level 8

Baltimore, Md.

#458 Feb 22, 2014
TheTroof wrote:
<quoted text> Why? Because they are lazy, stupid, and can't be bothered to try and communicate in an intelligent fashion.
As most white people also fail to speak standard English, then we may infer (by analogy) that they are also lazy, stupid and unwilling to be bothered with intelligent communication.
Indeed, we may infer the same things about YOU based on your post.
Edgar

Northampton, MA

#459 Feb 25, 2014
In 2014. Not all people are ignorant and stupid, its impossible. Obviously with our Biological social disconnect from each-other with the internet and technology, where families get smaller, people become more individualized wanting their own TV, car, house, room, bed, laptop etc- And these days in modern times, we only have few set people we stay connected to 100%- your girl-friend, boyfriend or friends(granted we see our families as a whole when a holiday tells us to via red-light Green light socialization.)
People are naturally attracted to groups- usually on the web, or in-person. And maybe meme of broken speak, is inherited "oppressed and not educated" speak without anyone realization where It was oriented. Its probably used to identify on the internet who is black and who is not(Running on the assumption themselves they probably will speak back like that- which is intelligent- despite first glance opinions) Obviously some black people were not able to learn way back when, so that meme of "I don't know how to spell"/Broken peak, came from that- So it could also be subtle white-guilt, to let current white people know "This is what you did to us back then"(Again without realizing it) Like any English language in our world, "Faggot" is now used for someone being annoying, "Love" is used on almost anything like shoes, "I'm sorry" is said when people don't mean it, allll sorts of cultural, human interaction memes and speaking are mixed and matched into different ways till there's no meaning but pure individual identification, where something might have had value or a deep meaning but no longer does.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Joy Division 1,191,660
New Study: White birth rate RISING in USA! 8 min T-BOS 57
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 9 min Ingwe Temujin 109,566
Rapper David Banner Makes Film About African De... 14 min Wadi IIX 1
Why are TAURUS girls considered MOST DESIRED/BE... (Jan '11) 21 min Tallly 252
Africa DO NOT Need you Black Americans. (from m... 23 min Gottz 29
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 28 min 10Slack30 31,202
All women prefer white men 41 min Masud_S_Hoghughi__ 2,636
Are white women attracted to black men? (Aug '06) 2 hr RFD 121,709
Sarah Palin: “We Abolished Slavery And Got Obama 4 hr Edward Teach 8