Why do blacks speak broken english (e...

Level 1

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#26 Sep 20, 2008
kangaroo wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL... bring ovah some fush n chups n i'll chuck some lamb on the barbie..
LOL.....sure thing.....i'll bring some pav over for dessert ( by the way, i heard that some of you guys claimed you invented it...i dont think so buddy!!)
SO TRUE

Boynton Beach, FL

#27 Sep 20, 2008
Wynn wrote:
The only reason why I chose to focus in on African Americans is because this is the African American forum. The south is a prime example of both whites and blacks speaking less than perfect English.
It's a bit said when someone is brought up speaking that way, it really shuts so many doors in their faces or they have to work alot harder just to be on equal footing with others.
FOCUS ON BLACK AMERICANS.. Contrary to the topic, African as applied to black Americans is a misnomer. Then again, if some are Africanized, as many suggest that they wish to be, then perhaps the speech pattern is the normal speech pattern of that culture.
kangaroo

Clifton Hill, Australia

#28 Sep 20, 2008
JackieC wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.....sure thing.....i'll bring some pav over for dessert ( by the way, i heard that some of you guys claimed you invented it...i dont think so buddy!!)
lol we invented the Lamington. I don't know who invented Pavlova. I'm too used to eating chinese, Indian and Italian food that i've now gone out of orbit with Aussie food (other than four n twenty pies lol)
kangaroo

Clifton Hill, Australia

#29 Sep 20, 2008
JackieC wrote:
<quoted text>
i have grown up in Fiji and NZ, but my parents are from the US
ahhhh cool.

Level 1

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#31 Sep 20, 2008
kangaroo wrote:
<quoted text>
lol we invented the Lamington. I don't know who invented Pavlova. I'm too used to eating chinese, Indian and Italian food that i've now gone out of orbit with Aussie food (other than four n twenty pies lol)
I love Lamingtons!!:)......yeah i know what you mean

..hey what are four n twenty pies??.....i go for the good old steak n cheese..LMAO
girl

Houston, TX

#32 Sep 20, 2008
Conscience Sister wrote:
<quoted text>Damn, you make it seem like it is something black people should be ashamed of. Ofcourse they shouldn't go on a job interview or a meeting speaking slang but its nothing wrong with it in informal settings. If i say whats poppin to my friend, its no different then a white person saying to their friend whats up or hows it hanging. Why should blacks that do speak "ebonics" be embarrassed about it? You say they shouldn't speak like that in public but why not? Are you afraid of what white people will think? Don't think just because a person speaks proper english that it is a reflection of their education. I've known people that were white or grew up around whites that speak proper english completely and didn't make it out of Jr. high School.
i agree in a casual setting when speaking with friends say what you want

otherwise it is disprectful to all americans to not speak the language....and black people are americans

i have a problem with spanish people coming to this country and not learning the english language and it's offensive to all americans

this is our country respect us enough to learn OUR language if you want to live here.

we should not have to learn to speak any other language

also lots of races here speak slang--blame it on our poor education system
girl

Houston, TX

#33 Sep 20, 2008
aunt bee on crack wrote:
trying to teach a negroe is like trying to teach my dog to sing opera
Hide

Hide

behind kproxy you wimp
SO TRUE

Boynton Beach, FL

#34 Sep 20, 2008
JUST ONCE WROTE:

Ebonics is not of African Origin....."when the first black Africans arrived in British North America in the 17th century, they learned the current English speech forms from whites in the Tidewater or Lowland South brought here mainly from the south and west of England.

In Hamlet, the king used the double negative. Chaucer used "ax" for "ask" Many, if not most. well educated Southerners will slip in to the Doric vernacular for effect, affection or affectation; "How ;bout them Dawgs?" or "Hit don't make no nevah mine to me."

First Ebonics is really an archaic form of English that enslaved blacks learned from whites more than 350 years ago in Tidewater Virginia and Low Country Carolina that had gone out of fashion as standard usage.

Suppose the everyday at-home speech of poor Appalachian whites was dubbed "Rebonics" and then try to teach it in school. Bottom line, all school pupils, black, white, red,brown, green, poor, rich, must learn American English as their everyday standard communication or be a failure in life.

It has been shown that the four major speech patterns in the USA were derived as follows: New England speech came primarily from England's southeastern region, that Quakers brought English Midlands speech in the the Middle Colonies (which is the basis for so-called Standard American English), and that settlers from northern England and Ulster brought their speech into the Appalachians, which later became Upland Southern, spreading across north Alabama, out to Arkansas and Texas.

The idea that today's English patois of the uneducated black derives from African language patterns in patently false. The Spanish, French and Portuguese spoken by Latin American blacks negates such a theory." John H. Napier III

Teach blacks to be Americans and perhaps standard English might just become their "standard English"

Since: May 08

Pittsburgh, PA

#35 Sep 20, 2008
Conscience Sister wrote:
<quoted text>Damn, you make it seem like it is something black people should be ashamed of. Ofcourse they shouldn't go on a job interview or a meeting speaking slang but its nothing wrong with it in informal settings. If i say whats poppin to my friend, its no different then a white person saying to their friend whats up or hows it hanging. Why should blacks that do speak "ebonics" be embarrassed about it? You say they shouldn't speak like that in public but why not? Are you afraid of what white people will think? Don't think just because a person speaks proper english that it is a reflection of their education. I've known people that were white or grew up around whites that speak proper english completely and didn't make it out of Jr. high School.
They should be ashamed of it if they think it's acceptable to go into a job interview or other formal settings, and get surprised when they aren't well received.

What you bring up when you say "hello" to your friend would be considered informal. Would you go up to a stranger(Or your boss at work) and say "What's crackin" <insert any other ebonic slang>

You site an example which doesn't apply to what I was talking about with you siting "Oh I knew someone who could speak proper english" the fact of the matter is the the majority of the people can't understand them.

I'm talking about the people who don't know how to turn it off. Then get mad when they aren't well received.

Pittsburgh, PA

#36 Sep 20, 2008
kangaroo wrote:
<quoted text>
The only time they need to turn it off is in a very formal situation. But the rest of the time, hell no. Be who you are.
I can't believe you're black and you're ashamed of the black american english.
If someone told me that Australian english sucked (and people have), I tell them to go pull their head out of their asshole. I'm not changing the way I talk.
Forgive me if I am wrong, but aren't most people who live in Australia Australian? They are the majority so the dialect that they speak I would assume would be most acceptable. Here in America Blacks do not make up the majority so their ebonic speaking is not acceptable in the majority of cases. I've mentioned before that people can do whatever they want in their house.

I'm black and I've have yet to be in a situation where "ebonic" speaking would of helped me. Can you give me some examples where it would be helpful? Should they teach Ebonics along with Spanish and French in schools now?

I was raised in a household were ebonics was not taught to me so now I should learn it? Why? I'd just be fake like those people who fake accents and are called out because of them.

Pittsburgh, PA

#37 Sep 20, 2008
SO TRUE wrote:
<quoted text>
FOCUS ON BLACK AMERICANS.. Contrary to the topic, African as applied to black Americans is a misnomer. Then again, if some are Africanized, as many suggest that they wish to be, then perhaps the speech pattern is the normal speech pattern of that culture.
Ok, "Black Americans". I hope you would of understood the gist of what I was saying though.
JUST ONCE

Boynton Beach, FL

#38 Sep 20, 2008
SO TRUE wrote:
JUST ONCE WROTE:
Ebonics is not of African Origin....."when the first black Africans arrived in British North America in the 17th century, they learned the current English speech forms from whites in the Tidewater or Lowland South brought here mainly from the south and west of England.
In Hamlet, the king used the double negative. Chaucer used "ax" for "ask" Many, if not most. well educated Southerners will slip in to the Doric vernacular for effect, affection or affectation; "How ;bout them Dawgs?" or "Hit don't make no nevah mine to me."
First Ebonics is really an archaic form of English that enslaved blacks learned from whites more than 350 years ago in Tidewater Virginia and Low Country Carolina that had gone out of fashion as standard usage.
Suppose the everyday at-home speech of poor Appalachian whites was dubbed "Rebonics" and then try to teach it in school. Bottom line, all school pupils, black, white, red,brown, green, poor, rich, must learn American English as their everyday standard communication or be a failure in life.
It has been shown that the four major speech patterns in the USA were derived as follows: New England speech came primarily from England's southeastern region, that Quakers brought English Midlands speech in the the Middle Colonies (which is the basis for so-called Standard American English), and that settlers from northern England and Ulster brought their speech into the Appalachians, which later became Upland Southern, spreading across north Alabama, out to Arkansas and Texas.
The idea that today's English patois of the uneducated black derives from African language patterns in patently false. The Spanish, French and Portuguese spoken by Latin American blacks negates such a theory." John H. Napier III
Teach blacks to be Americans and perhaps standard English might just become their "standard English"
BP
JUST ONCE

Boynton Beach, FL

#39 Sep 20, 2008
Wynn wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, "Black Americans". I hope you would of understood the gist of what I was saying though.
I did, posting my previous response...above

Level 1

Since: Apr 08

TRUE SELF-MASTERY

#40 Sep 20, 2008
Wynn wrote:
<quoted text>
Forgive me if I am wrong, but aren't most people who live in Australia Australian? They are the majority so the dialect that they speak I would assume would be most acceptable. Here in America Blacks do not make up the majority so their ebonic speaking is not acceptable in the majority of cases. I've mentioned before that people can do whatever they want in their house.
I'm black and I've have yet to be in a situation where "ebonic" speaking would of helped me. Can you give me some examples where it would be helpful? Should they teach Ebonics along with Spanish and French in schools now?
I was raised in a household were ebonics was not taught to me so now I should learn it? Why? I'd just be fake like those people who fake accents and are called out because of them.
would of? or would have - would've

smh
JUST ONCE

Boynton Beach, FL

#41 Sep 20, 2008
Wynn wrote:
<quoted text>
Another point..why when posting topics for discussion, the topic is not qualified. "Why do SOME blacks, rather than why do blacks, implying all do.. when all don't. It's the same old stereotyping all over again.

Since: Sep 08

Tallahassee, Florida

#42 Sep 20, 2008
GirlPower wrote:
Well I live in the south so mamy ppl pretty much speak terribly. I work a lot of country white ppl and it sounds like they were raised in a barn. It is really horrible. Why do ppl choose to focus on what some black ppl do, when many ppl of all races use poor grammar
Oh so true.

Pittsburgh, PA

#43 Sep 20, 2008
JUST ONCE wrote:
<quoted text>
Another point..why when posting topics for discussion, the topic is not qualified. "Why do SOME blacks, rather than why do blacks, implying all do.. when all don't. It's the same old stereotyping all over again.
I guess I could of put "Why do the MAJORITY of blacks". I have not seen the majority of Blacks speak proper in my personal life and when they are portrayed in the media.

Stereotypes have some truth to them; as horribly generalizing as they are.

“Learn to love yourself first!!”

Since: Oct 07

Georgia Peach

#44 Sep 20, 2008
Wynn wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess I could of put "Why do the MAJORITY of blacks". I have not seen the majority of Blacks speak proper in my personal life and when they are portrayed in the media.
Stereotypes have some truth to them; as horribly generalizing as they are.
To them? I thought you were black too

“Self-proclaimed artist. =)”

Torrance, CA

#45 Sep 20, 2008
kangaroo wrote:
<quoted text>
It's their language. They speak it.
That's like saying Why do Australians speak Aussie english (which is a lot different to US english) or why do British people speak the legitimate English.
I personally think the Ebonic English sounds pretty amusing. But I do tend to get pissed off when teenagers or white females use it. Be original.
Lol, C/S all the way.

“Self-proclaimed artist. =)”

Torrance, CA

#46 Sep 20, 2008
Wynn wrote:
I don't understand how any self respecting African-American would speak it or teach their child to speak it in a public setting.
1. The majority of people outside their community don't understand them.
2. Can't get a job outside of being behind closed doors(dish washer) because they can't speak properly.
3. Appears(Well they are) to be less educated to the vast population.
I'm sure there are more reasons...
I respect immigrants who come to this country not speaking perfect language but at least they're attempting and a a few months to a year they will have their english down and be perfectly understandable. I mean sometimes they speak their native tongue inside their own home, that's perfectly fine.
I've never was taught to use ebonics and I just want to know why people would hinder themselves in public settings by using such slang.
No one speaks "perfect" English. Most people in America, or just the whole world in general don't even speak their language "perfectly". I was told, when I took a Spanish class, that even real Spanish speakers don't speak perfect Spanish.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Grey Ghost 1,396,323
Africans discovered the AMERICA before Columbus! (Jan '12) 4 min thetruth 7,996
News KKK Endorsement (Mar '08) 5 min Des Moines Heroin 123
5 stabbed @ white nationalist trump rally 6 min DerekJ 121
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 6 min yisarel 136,112
U S A , We are gonna Make Life Hard for YOU 11 min USA is fked 1
News CFPB Cites Audio Recording in $10.6M Fine Again... 12 min Who Was Ceo 2
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 54 min larryX 46,598
I need proof that the Ancient Egyptians Were No... (Oct '07) 1 hr thetruth 32,719
Eurafrica 2 hr enoch powell 68
Mudshark and c00n on Judge Judy. 2 hr Oh No You Di-nt 48
More from around the web