Why do blacks speak broken english (e...
Freedom fighter

Chambersburg, PA

#395 Jul 8, 2013
Speaking Ebonics is just one way that many black Americans perpetuate the separation between themselves and main stream America. When I hear a black person speaking "normally", I am very surprised! Ebonics creates an air of distrust, arrogance and ingnorance. The family structure in many black American families are overwhelmingly broken with the absence of a paternal figure which may also contribute to the disrespectful nature of black American attitude.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Level 8

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#396 Jul 11, 2013
Freedom fighter wrote:
Speaking Ebonics is just one way that many black Americans perpetuate the separation between themselves and main stream America. When I hear a black person speaking "normally", I am very surprised! Ebonics creates an air of distrust, arrogance and ingnorance. The family structure in many black American families are overwhelmingly broken with the absence of a paternal figure which may also contribute to the disrespectful nature of black American attitude.
How does one determine what is "normal" speech? And WHO determines it. Even if we consider ONLY the white group,most do not speak what is called "standard English"? Indeed, why is the English of the American hillbilly not the standard? Does this have something to do with his broken family? Does the non-standard English of the white working class majority create an air of distrust, arrogance and ignorance? And who do we know that the standard English of white academia and the business and professional communities doesn't create this air of distrust, arrogance and ignorance? Especially ARROGANCE since standard English is the language primarily of economic and cultural elites.

Level 4

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#398 Jul 11, 2013
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
How does one determine what is "normal" speech? And WHO determines it. Even if we consider ONLY the white group,most do not speak what is called "standard English"? Indeed, why is the English of the American hillbilly not the standard? Does this have something to do with his broken family? Does the non-standard English of the white working class majority create an air of distrust, arrogance and ignorance? And who do we know that the standard English of white academia and the business and professional communities doesn't create this air of distrust, arrogance and ignorance? Especially ARROGANCE since standard English is the language primarily of economic and cultural elites.
The MAJORITY determines it! You know how you should speak if you want to get ahead. Don't play ignorant.
Standard English speakers also to tend to have a vaster vocubalry and express more conceptual details and abstractions when they converse.

Can you not see the implications?

Level 8

Baltimore, Md.

#399 Jul 12, 2013
oh-r_____ wrote:
<quoted text>Well, dopey, when you pronounce "th" as if it were two "f"s, that's NOT normal.
From there on out you're on your own.
You've never heard me speak, you moron. I certainly have no problem with the king's or queen's English when addressing meetings of the American Philosophical Association. Of course, with your redneck GED you wouldn't know anything about that, would you?

Level 8

Baltimore, Md.

#400 Jul 12, 2013
McAlister73 wrote:
<quoted text>
The MAJORITY determines it! You know how you should speak if you want to get ahead. Don't play ignorant.
Standard English speakers also to tend to have a vaster vocubalry and express more conceptual details and abstractions when they converse.
Can you not see the implications?
In fact, the majority determines nothing in that area. Thw WHITE MAJORITY doesn't even speak standard English. Only the educated, professional and business classes do so. Or at least it is MAINLY those elites who use standard English.
But notice that no threads are started which query why WHITES speak non-standard English.
truth

Hollywood, FL

#402 Nov 17, 2013
all politicians are liars wrote:
<quoted text>
uh not really if you new anything about your country you'd know that "broken" english isn't a black thing but a southern thing that made it's way to to the north.. in the south almost everyone lacks articulation, both whites and blacks. It's actually really bad so much that the upper class down there speak in ways to separate themselves from their lower classed white (and black but mostly white) counterparts. and if you were to visit a suburban area in Long Island, you'd find that both blacks and whites speak proper English. Language is not a racial thing, you people fail to understand that people are the product of their environment, and they will echo the same characteristics as the individuals they are surrounded by. oh and by the way, I'm Black. point proven.
What you need to realize that speaking black leans towards hip hop, ghetto, playa, thug ideals.
These ideals represent glamourizing that crime is cool, hustling and pimping, fathering many kids and so on are a badge of honor. There is no room in society for that.....or when blacks speak correctly they are viewed by other blacks as not down......the black society is crumbling in on its self.....72percent is single mothers........your community doesn't stand a chance unless there are drastic changes.
Guess

San Antonio, TX

#403 Nov 20, 2013
all politicians are liars wrote:
<quoted text>
uh not really if you new anything about your country you'd know that "broken" english isn't a black thing but a southern thing that made it's way to to the north.. in the south almost everyone lacks articulation, both whites and blacks. It's actually really bad so much that the upper class down there speak in ways to separate themselves from their lower classed white (and black but mostly white) counterparts. and if you were to visit a suburban area in Long Island, you'd find that both blacks and whites speak proper English. Language is not a racial thing, you people fail to understand that people are the product of their environment, and they will echo the same characteristics as the individuals they are surrounded by. oh and by the way, I'm Black. point proven.
And I have lived in the south my entire life and speak perfectly fine (as do many southerners). So try not to put too much emphasis on the whole "southerners are inarticulate idiots" rhetoric.
tiredofstupidity

Choctaw, OK

#404 Nov 20, 2013
GirlPower wrote:
Well I live in the south so mamy ppl pretty much speak terribly. I work a lot of country white ppl and it sounds like they were raised in a barn. It is really horrible. Why do ppl choose to focus on what some black ppl do, when many ppl of all races use poor grammar
Girlpower, you are a prime example of stupid! Maybe you are so illiterate you didn't know what forum you were on! African americans speaking ebonics you nitwit!
apg

Beverly, MA

#406 Dec 5, 2013
Wynn wrote:
Well, that may be true. A bit of a generalization here but I've noticed that sometimes they try to turn it off when dealing with "white people". I guess seeing that I'm also black they think I'd understand what they're talking about? Then they get offended when I don't understand them, lol.
But I've also seen many people not know how to turn it off and it's troubling.
Thanks for your input though.
Black people I hear using ebonics do not know how to "turn it off". These are people brought up not knowing how to speak the language of the land where they were born. I call many companies and have to deal with customer service for both government and private c/s centers I get so many Black people that can't speak a lick of understandable English. Sometimes I just ask to be transferred to someone else. Look at how bad it got in Oakland where the teachers were being taught to speak ebonics. How insane is that? how about teaching these kids to speak properly so they can function in society. By the way my five,(5), black daughters speak perfect English. If you heard them and did not see them you would not know if they were black or white, just proper speaking children. It is all what they are taught.

Level 8

Baltimore, Md.

#407 Dec 6, 2013
apg wrote:
<quoted text>
Black people I hear using ebonics do not know how to "turn it off". These are people brought up not knowing how to speak the language of the land where they were born. I call many companies and have to deal with customer service for both government and private c/s centers I get so many Black people that can't speak a lick of understandable English. Sometimes I just ask to be transferred to someone else. Look at how bad it got in Oakland where the teachers were being taught to speak ebonics. How insane is that? how about teaching these kids to speak properly so they can function in society. By the way my five,(5), black daughters speak perfect English. If you heard them and did not see them you would not know if they were black or white, just proper speaking children. It is all what they are taught.
I guess for you "speaking proper" means sounding indistinguishable from whites. Otherwise, why inform us that we would not be able to tell that your proper speaking daughters would not be noticeable as Blacks if we weren't looking at them. But haven't you listened to speeches by Dr. Martin Luther King or Coretta before educated audiences? Have you not heard speeches given by Paul Robeson? Or even Malcolm X at the London School of Economics? Their diction and grammar were quite "proper," but only those who are tone death or unfamiliar with African-American speech could have mistaken them for non-Black persons.

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#408 Dec 7, 2013
apg wrote:
<quoted text>
why are you so self hating? why do you want your kids to sound like white people?...do you see that you're messing up those kids? people like you have mental problems and shouldn't be alowed to have children.
Hatergottohate

Birmingham, AL

#409 Jan 29, 2014
GirlPower wrote:
Well I live in the south so mamy ppl pretty much speak terribly. I work a lot of country white ppl and it sounds like they were raised in a barn. It is really horrible. Why do ppl choose to focus on what some black ppl do, when many ppl of all races use poor grammar
Because whites are just ignorant. Blacks are just being defiant. They somehow feel it is their roots and part of who they are. Either way, both are useless.
moorswerewhite

Columbia, SC

#410 Jan 29, 2014
Shakespeare was the innovator of slang....words change not the meaning.

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

#411 Jan 29, 2014
moorswerewhite wrote:
Shakespeare was the innovator of slang....words change not the meaning.
Shakespeare used the terms and words of his time.

“New venture, old theme”

Monterey Ca

#412 Feb 4, 2014
Replacing "it's" and "this is" for "is" seems to be a current Ebonics fad. I see it all the time in text messages (from younger people) and Internet posts.

Examples:

Hello "is" Mike. Correct version: Hello, "it's" Mike. Or: Hello, "this is" Mike.

Level 8

Location hidden

#413 Feb 5, 2014
Seduciary wrote:
Replacing "it's" and "this is" for "is" seems to be a current Ebonics fad. I see it all the time in text messages (from younger people) and Internet posts.
Examples:
Hello "is" Mike. Correct version: Hello, "it's" Mike. Or: Hello, "this is" Mike.
that may be correct english. but it is incorrect ebonics. ebonics is not english...so, don't make it sound like we're trying to speak your language. we don't want to talk like y'all.

“New venture, old theme”

Monterey Ca

#414 Feb 5, 2014
Desmond Sandiford wrote:
<quoted text> that may be correct english. but it is incorrect ebonics. ebonics is not english...so, don't make it sound like we're trying to speak your language. we don't want to talk like y'all.
Maybe it's (not "is" lol) not true Ebonics, but it's indubitably some kind of text fad for young people.

And for the record; I'm quite aware what "correct" Ebonics sounds like - no wat im sayin, dawg?

“New venture, old theme”

Monterey Ca

#415 Feb 5, 2014
Savant wrote:
<quoted text> but only those who are tone death
You mean tone "deaf" ")

“New venture, old theme”

Monterey Ca

#416 Feb 5, 2014
Sangelia wrote:
<quoted text>
Shakespeare used the terms and words of his time.
But Shakespeare's "slang" is a zillion times more eloquent than the crude urban vernacular used today.
why

Glenside, PA

#417 Feb 5, 2014
why do black people speak Ebonics at all? America is made up of people from all over the world, you have the English, French, Spanish, German, African, Korean, Chinese etc etc. Every race that comes to this country starts learning the English language, they may have accents but there still speaking English. African American's don't want to speak proper English they say things like Let me axe you sumin or who that is, or Check yo' self, what ya be doin etc etc Why? I work in a call center and the African Americans that work there speak like this to people on the phone it amazes me. Why not just learn and speak English like every other race on the planet that is living in America

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Grey Ghost 1,535,046
HA HA HA! Trump cuts $1.7 TRILLION in welfare! 2 min Alexa 34
Slave Prices Adjusted For Inflation 8 min 4everandaday 5
Political Correctness Is Dangerous 35 min Alexa 32
sheboon teacher and her apesistant brawl in cla... 36 min No Reparations 3
12 y/o N|G|ET torment 80 y/o woman! 49 min Dirt Poor Blacks LOL 1
Scientists isolate 52 “intelligence” genes. 52 min Dirt Poor Blacks LOL 3
Racism in America 1 hr The Power Of Mast... 554
White supremacist fake hanging of a black girl 5 hr Pissed off 14
Bill Cosby blames racism for his [email protected] scandal. 6 hr The Power Of Mast... 174
More from around the web