Why do blacks speak broken english (e...
Shakalaka

Morrow, GA

#372 Mar 8, 2013
NODE: Was aware of; to know about something

ONLINE: Where to stay when taking the sobriety test

OVAIR: In that direction.
Usage:"Where's yo paw, son?" He's ovair, suh."

PACKET: What you do to a suitcase or Wal-Mart bag before a trip.

PHRAISIN: Very cold.
Usage:"Shut that door. It's phraisin in here."

PLUMB: Completely, Entirely.
Usage:"Ah'm plum wore out."

RATS:- noun. Entitled power or privilege.
Usage: "We Southerners are willing to fight for our rats." (Today's Southern Word comes from a school teacher in America's southern most state: Hawaii. As part of her class's study of the "War of Northern Aggression" (known to Yankees as the "Civil War"), she showed her class the movie Gettysburg. The students wondered why the Confederacy was fighting for their "rats." The answer, of course, is obvious: Southerners have very friendly rats ... in fact, you could almost say that we have some downright civil rats.)

is this Ebonics too? Cause I sure hear a lot of white folk talking bout their rats to bear arms and their rats to freedom of speechy. Grinning

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

#373 Mar 8, 2013
Shakalaka wrote:
<quoted text>
I was never taught to use Hillybilly either...but hey...what cha gonna do. Can you please S'plain this to all us who b black?
HALE: Where General Sherman is going for what he did to Etlanna.(Atlanta) Usage:"General Sherman said "War is Hale" and he made sure it was."
HAZE:- a contraction.
Usage: "Is Bubba smart?" "Nah ... haze ignert."
HEAVY DEW:- phrase. A request for action.
Usage: "Kin I heavy dew me a favor?"
HEIDI -(noun)- Greeting.
HEP: to aid or benefit.
Usage:"Ah can't hep it if Ah'm still in love with you."
HIRE YEW - Complete sentence. Remainder of greeting.
Usage: "Heidi, Hire yew?"
HOD:- adverb. Not easy.
Usage: "A broken hot is hod to fix."
HOT:- noun. A blood-pumping organ.
IDINIT: Term employed by genteel Southerners to avoid saying "Ain't".
Usage:"Mighty hot today, idinit?"
IGNERT:- adjective. Not smart. See "Auburn Alumni."
Usage: "Them N-C-TWO-A boys sure are ignert!"
IMPOTENT: Distinguished, well known.
INTERNET: Where cafeteria workers put their hair
JAWJUH:- noun. A highly flammable state just north of Florida.
Usage: "My brother from Jawjah bard my pickup truck." JEW: Did you.
"Jew want to buy attair comic book, son, or just stand there and read it here?"
JU-HERE:- a question.
Usage: "Juhere that former Dallas Cowboys' coach Jimmy Johnson recently toured the University of Alabama?"
KUMPNY: Guests. "Be home on time.
Usage:“We's havin' kumpny for supper."
LAW: Police, or as Southerners pronounce it, PO-leece.
Usage:"We better get outta here. That bartender's doen called the law."
LIKKER: Whiskey; either the amber kind bought in stores or the homemade white kind that federal authorities frown upon.
Usage:"Does he drink? Listen, he spills more likker than most people drink.'
LOT:- adjective. Luminescent.
Usage: "I dream of Jeanie in the lot-brown hair."
MASH: To press, as in the case of an elevator button.
Usage:"Want me to mash yo floor for you, Ma'am?"
MODEM: What ya did when the grass and weeds got too tall.
MORBID: A higher bid at the auction.
Do youz understand dis har miss Ann?
roflmbao
ja, dat redneck Jeff Foxworthy and crew did some of this as part of their tv show.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Level 8

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#374 Mar 8, 2013
Shakalaka wrote:
<quoted text>
I was never taught to use Hillybilly either...but hey...what cha gonna do. Can you please S'plain this to all us who b black?
HALE: Where General Sherman is going for what he did to Etlanna.(Atlanta) Usage:"General Sherman said "War is Hale" and he made sure it was."
HAZE:- a contraction.
Usage: "Is Bubba smart?" "Nah ... haze ignert."
HEAVY DEW:- phrase. A request for action.
Usage: "Kin I heavy dew me a favor?"
HEIDI -(noun)- Greeting.
HEP: to aid or benefit.
Usage:"Ah can't hep it if Ah'm still in love with you."
HIRE YEW - Complete sentence. Remainder of greeting.
Usage: "Heidi, Hire yew?"
HOD:- adverb. Not easy.
Usage: "A broken hot is hod to fix."
HOT:- noun. A blood-pumping organ.
IDINIT: Term employed by genteel Southerners to avoid saying "Ain't".
Usage:"Mighty hot today, idinit?"
IGNERT:- adjective. Not smart. See "Auburn Alumni."
Usage: "Them N-C-TWO-A boys sure are ignert!"
IMPOTENT: Distinguished, well known.
INTERNET: Where cafeteria workers put their hair
JAWJUH:- noun. A highly flammable state just north of Florida.
Usage: "My brother from Jawjah bard my pickup truck." JEW: Did you.
"Jew want to buy attair comic book, son, or just stand there and read it here?"
JU-HERE:- a question.
Usage: "Juhere that former Dallas Cowboys' coach Jimmy Johnson recently toured the University of Alabama?"
KUMPNY: Guests. "Be home on time.
Usage:“We's havin' kumpny for supper."
LAW: Police, or as Southerners pronounce it, PO-leece.
Usage:"We better get outta here. That bartender's doen called the law."
LIKKER: Whiskey; either the amber kind bought in stores or the homemade white kind that federal authorities frown upon.
Usage:"Does he drink? Listen, he spills more likker than most people drink.'
LOT:- adjective. Luminescent.
Usage: "I dream of Jeanie in the lot-brown hair."
MASH: To press, as in the case of an elevator button.
Usage:"Want me to mash yo floor for you, Ma'am?"
MODEM: What ya did when the grass and weeds got too tall.
MORBID: A higher bid at the auction.
Do youz understand dis har miss Ann?
roflmbao
LOL! I get your point, and well made. But I wish we could all stop making fun of how others speak. There are a number of dialects in American English and in the English spoken in other lands as well.
Most WHITES do NOT speak standard English. Only an elite does. Most Blacks do not speak standard English. Only an elite does.
So, what the hell. Yet racism appears in the picture when the non-standard English of Blacks is seen as evidence of racial inferiority while the non-standard English of whites is seen simply as evidence of the ignorance of those particular whites.(There is a bit of class snobbery on the part of privileged whites toward the uneducated white masses). This madness must stop.
Logic

United States

#375 Mar 8, 2013
Why do stupid white people speaking Ivonics think they know everything but know nothing?
Logic

United States

#376 Mar 8, 2013
Those mean nasty anti american Republicans are a perfect example

Minneapolis, MN

#377 Mar 8, 2013
there is in every area. what that area considers to be 'standard' English for that group living there.
thing is. also each area has their own unique words that are normally NOT used elsewhere. it may be related to some form of food, work, home life, etc....
just like each area has it's own way of speaking aka accent. you folks may not think you do. and everyone else outside your area does. you do have a accent. and most of it is due to the area you live in. or should I say for some - areas. since many folks here most likely have moved at least once if not more out of one area into another. be it a county, state, even country.
also, part of what forms the person's accent. is where their parents came from. if it was different from the area the person grew up in, or the same. and if they traveled or not.
also, for some, it is due to if they have troubles speaking. from some birth defect, or genetic makeup. like some males of one family are born with two eardrums per ear. and have to be tested to see if they inherited that trait.
and for others, it is a combo of factors that may just include a genetic component. as well as stuff that happened to that person while they grew up.
Shakalaka

Morrow, GA

#378 Mar 8, 2013
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! I get your point, and well made. But I wish we could all stop making fun of how others speak. There are a number of dialects in American English and in the English spoken in other lands as well.
Most WHITES do NOT speak standard English. Only an elite does. Most Blacks do not speak standard English. Only an elite does.
So, what the hell. Yet racism appears in the picture when the non-standard English of Blacks is seen as evidence of racial inferiority while the non-standard English of whites is seen simply as evidence of the ignorance of those particular whites.(There is a bit of class snobbery on the part of privileged whites toward the uneducated white masses). This madness must stop.
LOL you know it won't. But if the planet is ever invaded by Aliens, I'm denying my affiliation with humans.

Level 1

Since: Feb 10

Mooresville, NC

#379 Mar 12, 2013
Slapnutz wrote:
<quoted text>
Why on Earth are you trying to prove points with a bunch of nothing but numbers? Just off the top of my head I always see white people committing serial murders and such(Dahmer, Bundy, etc.) But at the same time look how so many maximum security prisons are full of black people. Ever watch Lockup? Its full of rapists and gangsters who kill and deal drugs. Just use your common sense, not some website full of impractical numbers.
Table 4: Arrests: by race, 2010.- Free Online Library

Minneapolis, MN

#381 Mar 12, 2013
Trinitodeworld wrote:
Why does white people in America not speak or spell the British way which is actually the correct English? If you really look at it black nor whites speak proper English here. I think it's funny how whites run around acting like they speak the correct English.
I bet if I used words like "tyre" "spelt" "cheque" "kerb" white people would tell me I'm spelling the English word wrong lol. American white butchered the language
not me. I tend to use wordslike armour, favourite, plough, etc.....
plus the English that is spoken now over in Great Britain is not the same as it was say two hundred years ago.
languages evolve. as in new ways of spelling words. along with new words added in. and some olde words dropped. take a look at some of the cookbooks from say around the time of the Tudors, or even the herbals. back then, that was proper English during that time period.

Minneapolis, MN

#384 Mar 12, 2013
Trinitodeworld wrote:
<quoted text>
You are in the minority because most Americans do not know there is different spellings between Britains English and American version of English but still Americans compared to Britain this present day is still way off from Britain whether Britain evolved or not.
part of the problem is due to the media and their cost per letter to print.
gotta yhank that bit of college I had on printing as well as typefaces.
Bayou City

Houston, TX

#385 Mar 13, 2013
Wynn wrote:
I don't understand how any self respecting African-American would speak it or teach their child to speak it in a public setting.
1. The majority of people outside their community don't understand them.
2. Can't get a job outside of being behind closed doors(dish washer) because they can't speak properly.
3. Appears(Well they are) to be less educated to the vast population.
I'm sure there are more reasons...
I respect immigrants who come to this country not speaking perfect language but at least they're attempting and a a few months to a year they will have their english down and be perfectly understandable. I mean sometimes they speak their native tongue inside their own home, that's perfectly fine.
I've never was taught to use ebonics and I just want to know why people would hinder themselves in public settings by using such slang.
Broken english and/or ebonics is the best they can do because although some can mimick humans, they can never imitate them completely. Hope that helps.
Loulou

Slagelse, Denmark

#386 Mar 13, 2013
There are black ghetto's in America where ppl have a vocabulary of only 6000 words. I heard that from an English professor. Seriously I heard a woman say: "Heeeeeeeeja baaaaid" ! I think she was trying to say, he is bad. I've heard white ppl sound as imbecils too. In thier own language. Your language will always reveal your social class. And status. Well, you can try to buy things, cars, jewelry that others can't affort. To show where in society you belong. But soon ppl will try to copy that,( there are some really good copied handbags out there )and you gotta start buying
other things. But language and manners the lower classes can't copy. And of corse you can chose a neighbourhood with iron gates . And shop in other shops if you want to avoid ppl. And thier silly language.
Articulate Southern

United States

#387 Apr 27, 2013
To "all politicians are liars" you are the liar! How dare you say that southerns aren't articulate. You are an ignorant yankee and racist! Just because someone is from the south regardless if they are black or white, doesn't make them dumb or ignorant. You are the ignorant one. I have to deal with people like you all day long from Long Island and your way of thinking makes me sick! Go crawl back in your hole and stay their. Their are more smart and wealthy people in the south. And they are both black and white. Just because we have a southern accent doesn't make us dumb. You must be jealous because you lack high moral standards and southern hospitality doesn't exist where you come from. And it drives you insane. We have more class in our pinky than you could even dream to have in your entire body.
iable

Runnemede, NJ

#388 Apr 27, 2013
because it is fun...

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Level 8

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#389 Apr 28, 2013
Loulou wrote:
There are black ghetto's in America where ppl have a vocabulary of only 6000 words. I heard that from an English professor. Seriously I heard a woman say: "Heeeeeeeeja baaaaid" ! I think she was trying to say, he is bad. I've heard white ppl sound as imbecils too. In thier own language. Your language will always reveal your social class. And status. Well, you can try to buy things, cars, jewelry that others can't affort. To show where in society you belong. But soon ppl will try to copy that,( there are some really good copied handbags out there )and you gotta start buying
other things. But language and manners the lower classes can't copy. And of corse you can chose a neighbourhood with iron gates . And shop in other shops if you want to avoid ppl. And thier silly language.
There are people in white working class areas, and even some suburbs, with a vocabulary of 5000 words. Better educated and well off whites often call them "white trash." And this reveals something of the class divisions within white America.
Ritz

Bonney Lake, WA

#390 May 27, 2013
I speak perfect English.
Domincan boy

Sutton Coldfield, UK

#391 May 28, 2013
Wynn wrote:
I don't understand how any self respecting African-American would speak it or teach their child to speak it in a public setting.
1. The majority of people outside their community don't understand them.
2. Can't get a job outside of being behind closed doors(dish washer) because they can't speak properly.
3. Appears(Well they are) to be less educated to the vast population.
I'm sure there are more reasons...
I respect immigrants who come to this country not speaking perfect language but at least they're attempting and a a few months to a year they will have their english down and be perfectly understandable. I mean sometimes they speak their native tongue inside their own home, that's perfectly fine.
I've never was taught to use ebonics and I just want to know why people would hinder themselves in public settings by using such slang.
Shut up b!tch!! you have no right to say that.
Chuck

Albemarle, NC

#392 Jun 21, 2013
kangaroo wrote:
<quoted text>
The only time they need to turn it off is in a very formal situation. But the rest of the time, hell no. Be who you are.
I can't believe you're black and you're ashamed of the black american english.
If someone told me that Australian english sucked (and people have), I tell them to go pull their head out of their asshole. I'm not changing the way I talk.
Maybe you won't change your Australian accent is because you LIVE in Australia. I watch a LOT of International news, and the only, let me say it again for clarity, the ONLY place I've heard ebonics spoken is in the U.S.. Blacks in England don't speak that way, nor any other country where the reporters actually talk with the average person, not just the ones that wear a shirt and tie to their job. Ebonics is simply a sign of laziness, and has nothing to do with culture or any of the other crap I've read defending it's use. English is taught in schools in the U.S., not ebonics, so yeah, it's simple laziness that so many black kids speak ebonics when taught by the same teachers who teach English to any other ethnicity who seem to grasp it just fine.
ZCs

Bronx, NY

#393 Jun 21, 2013
Why do white people speak Ivonics?
Ramapithecus Estupidicus

Harrisburg, PA

#394 Jun 21, 2013
JackieC wrote:
<quoted text>
i have grown up in Fiji and NZ, but my parents are from the US
If yo sorah ass beez frum ah Fijis, den what beez yo sorry ass ah adoin aheah Luigis? Ahummmmm?

Nowatamsayin a yo?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
a bm invented CALCULUS back in 1908 8 min Steve 18
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min THE DEVIL 1,264,986
News Donald Trump explains why there won't be anothe... 11 min T BOS 44
Barros reveals his ethnicity 14 min audy17 304
Are white people aware of white privilege? 15 min T BOS 202
Black women belong to White men 16 min kojo 34
The Great Con of Illuminati ??? 16 min selina london 7
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 38 min Curious Me 35,051
So many white women are having sex with black men (Jan '14) 38 min trish_b 124
BW are evil, devious, vindictive and WM can hav... 1 hr kojo 150