Why do blacks speak broken english (ebonics or whatever you want to call it)?

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 22
Next Last

Since: May 08

Pittsburgh, PA

#1 Sep 19, 2008
I don't understand how any self respecting African-American would speak it or teach their child to speak it in a public setting.

1. The majority of people outside their community don't understand them.
2. Can't get a job outside of being behind closed doors(dish washer) because they can't speak properly.
3. Appears(Well they are) to be less educated to the vast population.

I'm sure there are more reasons...

I respect immigrants who come to this country not speaking perfect language but at least they're attempting and a a few months to a year they will have their english down and be perfectly understandable. I mean sometimes they speak their native tongue inside their own home, that's perfectly fine.

I've never was taught to use ebonics and I just want to know why people would hinder themselves in public settings by using such slang.

“Learn to love yourself first!!”

Since: Oct 07

Georgia Peach

#3 Sep 19, 2008
Well I live in the south so mamy ppl pretty much speak terribly. I work a lot of country white ppl and it sounds like they were raised in a barn. It is really horrible. Why do ppl choose to focus on what some black ppl do, when many ppl of all races use poor grammar

Pittsburgh, PA

#4 Sep 19, 2008
The only reason why I chose to focus in on African Americans is because this is the African American forum. The south is a prime example of both whites and blacks speaking less than perfect English.

It's a bit said when someone is brought up speaking that way, it really shuts so many doors in their faces or they have to work alot harder just to be on equal footing with others.

“Learn to love yourself first!!”

Since: Oct 07

Georgia Peach

#5 Sep 19, 2008
Wynn wrote:
The only reason why I chose to focus in on African Americans is because this is the African American forum. The south is a prime example of both whites and blacks speaking less than perfect English.
It's a bit said when someone is brought up speaking that way, it really shuts so many doors in their faces or they have to work alot harder just to be on equal footing with others.
I think many ppl who speak this way know how to turn it off and on. They know how to present themselves at their jobs and how to act with their friends. Many blacks have really good jobs outside of being a dishwasher. Maybe you need to venture out and try to meet different types of ppl

Pittsburgh, PA

#7 Sep 19, 2008
Well, that may be true. A bit of a generalization here but I've noticed that sometimes they try to turn it off when dealing with "white people". I guess seeing that I'm also black they think I'd understand what they're talking about? Then they get offended when I don't understand them, lol.

But I've also seen many people not know how to turn it off and it's troubling.

Thanks for your input though.
BoobyLicker

AOL

#9 Sep 19, 2008
GirlPower wrote:
Well I live in the south so mamy ppl pretty much speak terribly. I work a lot of country white ppl and it sounds like they were raised in a barn. It is really horrible. Why do ppl choose to focus on what some black ppl do, when many ppl of all races use poor grammar
\

Bitter Black Woman Alert!

Level 2

Since: Jul 07

Jamaica Queens, New York

#11 Sep 19, 2008
Wynn wrote:
I don't understand how any self respecting African-American would speak it or teach their child to speak it in a public setting.
2. Can't get a job outside of being behind closed doors(dish washer) because they can't speak properly.
I respect immigrants who come to this country not speaking perfect language but at least they're attempting and a a few months to a year they will have their english down and be perfectly understandable. I mean sometimes they speak their native tongue inside their own home, that's perfectly fine.
I've never was taught to use ebonics and I just want to know why people would hinder themselves in public settings by using such slang.
Damn, you make it seem like it is something black people should be ashamed of. Ofcourse they shouldn't go on a job interview or a meeting speaking slang but its nothing wrong with it in informal settings. If i say whats poppin to my friend, its no different then a white person saying to their friend whats up or hows it hanging. Why should blacks that do speak "ebonics" be embarrassed about it? You say they shouldn't speak like that in public but why not? Are you afraid of what white people will think? Don't think just because a person speaks proper english that it is a reflection of their education. I've known people that were white or grew up around whites that speak proper english completely and didn't make it out of Jr. high School.
btarded

Herndon, VA

#12 Sep 19, 2008
Conscience Sister wrote:
<quoted text>Damn, you make it seem like it is something black people should be ashamed of. Ofcourse they shouldn't go on a job interview or a meeting speaking slang but its nothing wrong with it in informal settings. If i say whats poppin to my friend, its no different then a white person saying to their friend whats up or hows it hanging. Why should blacks that do speak "ebonics" be embarrassed about it? You say they shouldn't speak like that in public but why not? Are you afraid of what white people will think? Don't think just because a person speaks proper english that it is a reflection of their education. I've known people that were white or grew up around whites that speak proper english completely and didn't make it out of Jr. high School.
what a liar
kangaroo

Fairfield, Australia

#13 Sep 19, 2008
Wynn wrote:
It's their language. They speak it.

That's like saying Why do Australians speak Aussie english (which is a lot different to US english) or why do British people speak the legitimate English.

I personally think the Ebonic English sounds pretty amusing. But I do tend to get pissed off when teenagers or white females use it. Be original.
all politicians are liars

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Sep 19, 2008
fnord wrote:
Because they are stupid and have bought into the idea that using poor English is part of their heritage.
fnord
http://high-street.org/viewforum.php...
uh not really if you new anything about your country you'd know that "broken" english isn't a black thing but a southern thing that made it's way to to the north.. in the south almost everyone lacks articulation, both whites and blacks. It's actually really bad so much that the upper class down there speak in ways to separate themselves from their lower classed white (and black but mostly white) counterparts. and if you were to visit a suburban area in Long Island, you'd find that both blacks and whites speak proper English. Language is not a racial thing, you people fail to understand that people are the product of their environment, and they will echo the same characteristics as the individuals they are surrounded by. oh and by the way, I'm Black. point proven.
kangaroo

Fairfield, Australia

#15 Sep 19, 2008
Wynn wrote:
Well, that may be true. A bit of a generalization here but I've noticed that sometimes they try to turn it off when dealing with "white people". I guess seeing that I'm also black they think I'd understand what they're talking about? Then they get offended when I don't understand them, lol.
But I've also seen many people not know how to turn it off and it's troubling.
Thanks for your input though.
The only time they need to turn it off is in a very formal situation. But the rest of the time, hell no. Be who you are.

I can't believe you're black and you're ashamed of the black american english.

If someone told me that Australian english sucked (and people have), I tell them to go pull their head out of their asshole. I'm not changing the way I talk.
all politicians are liars

Brooklyn, NY

#16 Sep 19, 2008
btarded wrote:
<quoted text>
what a liar
what are you talking about? are you seriously willing to argue with that? are you really saying that there hasn't been one case of an incident relating to her story? do you live under a rock? YOU are the liar my friend. you even lie to yourself!
btarded

Herndon, VA

#17 Sep 19, 2008
all politicians are liars wrote:
<quoted text>
what are you talking about? are you seriously willing to argue with that? are you really saying that there hasn't been one case of an incident relating to her story? do you live under a rock? YOU are the liar my friend. you even lie to yourself!
okay? lulz
Mrs R

Mountain View, CA

#18 Sep 19, 2008
Yeah right. What do you think?

Level 2

Since: Jul 07

Jamaica Queens, New York

#20 Sep 19, 2008
btarded wrote:
<quoted text>
what a liar
No, I actually do. Matter of fact, I even know an old woman that speaks proper english completely and she dropped out the second grade to raise her siblings and hasen't been back to school since. I can't help that I've seen a lot of shit in life.
btarded

Herndon, VA

#21 Sep 19, 2008
Conscience Sister wrote:
<quoted text>No, I actually do. Matter of fact, I even know an old woman that speaks proper english completely and she dropped out the second grade to raise her siblings and hasen't been back to school since. I can't help that I've seen a lot of shit in life.
thats only one older person. how many people do you know in your age group that speak properly and dont have at least a dipolma or a ged?

Level 1

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#22 Sep 19, 2008
kangaroo wrote:
<quoted text>
If someone told me that Australian english sucked (and people have), I tell them to go pull their head out of their asshole. I'm not changing the way I talk.
LOL.....g'day mate :)
kangaroo

Fairfield, Australia

#23 Sep 20, 2008
JackieC wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL... bring ovah some fush n chups n i'll chuck some lamb on the barbie..
kangaroo

Fairfield, Australia

#24 Sep 20, 2008
JackieC wrote:
<quoted text>
by the way.. are you polynesian?

Level 1

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#25 Sep 20, 2008
kangaroo wrote:
<quoted text>
by the way.. are you polynesian?
i have grown up in Fiji and NZ, but my parents are from the US

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 22
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
When China awakes, it will shake the West 4 min Tme 69
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min SobieskiSavedEurope 1,155,486
A Black African discovered America 3000 years ago (Nov '08) 8 min Insect Trust 767
Jesus and God is not their real names... 10 min BeautifulSunrise21 20
Black Americans Are TRAPPED in Racist USA. (fro... 12 min sassyntrashy 32
How has Africa from the begining of time influe... (May '13) 14 min Insect Trust 3,006
Black Hollywood: Are Black Men being Raped? (May '10) 15 min Triumph 187
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 33 min Ben YISRAEL 98,517
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 2 hr Insect Trust 28,889
2 NYPD MURDERED on behalf of Eric GARNER 2 hr Sunshine 586
More from around the web