Jennifer Hudson

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#1 Feb 20, 2007
So my favorite "other" message forum is IMDB and on the Jennifer Hudson message many discussions are taking place.

If you guessed what the main topic of dicussion is, you may be right...

Race.

One thread in particular was about the recent cover of "Vogue" she did. One person took offense that people were exclaiming she was "The first Black Woman" ever placed on the cover. I had no idea this was the case, since I never bothered to buy the magazine.

In any case if anyone would like to check out my debate in this particular thread and or read other comments on the board here's the link:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1617685/board/flat...

What's your opinion about acknowledging first black achievements? Is it celebratory or divisive?

“Ephesians 4:29”

Since: Feb 07

Atlanta, GA from Pittsburgh!!!

#2 Feb 20, 2007
I don't understand the big deal with acknowledgements. No one gets upset when women are noted for their achievements. What is the difference? It is actually congratulatory to note that a "first whomever" has done something. It shows that as a country we are making strides to eliminate color barriers that exist.

Location hidden

#3 Feb 20, 2007
crown wrote:
I don't understand the big deal with acknowledgements. No one gets upset when women are noted for their achievements. What is the difference? It is actually congratulatory to note that a "first whomever" has done something. It shows that as a country we are making strides to eliminate color barriers that exist.
Yes I don't get it either. I wonder about the mind-set of many in this country. Have we really come as far as we claim or is intolerance simply pushed in the closet or playing games of cloak and dagger.

I mean just because hate groups are publicly denounced, does that really mean the seeds of intolerance are not as widely spread as before?

To make a big (negative) deal about a celebratory (positive) statement of acknowledgement is simply ridiculous.

#4 Feb 20, 2007
Many groups are based on gathering facts and stats. No problem there. I think a part of the problem is that other races and cultures see our accomplishments as their failures.

Location hidden

#5 Feb 20, 2007
Our accomplishments as their failures..?

You know I never considered that as a reason. It gives me something to think about. Maybe some people see it that way but is it deliberate or sub-consicous?

#6 Feb 20, 2007
Eh, I would think they are doing it subconsciously otherwise they would expect us to call them out on it...either that or they don't think anyone will figure it out.

“"Everything Must Change"”

Since: Dec 06

Southern Indiana

#7 Feb 21, 2007
I say good for Jennifer she seems like a nice lady!
and she is a cute AA woman hopefully the doors will remain open for her to expand her horizon
I like her
sweetcocoa

United States

#8 Nov 30, 2012
Beautiful voice beautiful woman

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Al Sharpton: Royal Wedding Shows 'Last Breath' ... 3 min OccupyThis 183
No N KOREA SUMMIT 5 min Termite Power 3
would George Zimmerman have been better off black? (Mar '16) 5 min lol 64
Can we take back topix? 5 min Barros 380
News NC bank employee's 'Walking Dead' toy labeled a... 6 min f4ufighter 2
News Trump's lack of moral compass leaves America on... (Aug '17) 7 min The Patriot 1,296
If we got rid of the Negroes what would America... 7 min MASTER WHITE 5
White rage is on the way: White people aren't g... 8 min coursesoco 101
What Did African Americans Contribute To America? 11 min MASTER WHITE 58
NFL nighurs WHIPPED! Can't kneel for anthem an... 3 hr Barros 29
I need proof that the Ancient Egyptians Were No... (Oct '07) 3 hr Barros 40,798
BM in Britain please slap Meghan for us 10 hr Satan 61