Weather Woman Fired After Defending Natural Hair And Black Kids Has No Regrets

Feb 8, 2014 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NewsOne

It's been more than a year since Rhonda Lee was fired from her meteorologist anchor position after defending her natural hair and Black kids on her station's Facebook page.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of30
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Zombie Corpse Rental

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Feb 8, 2014
 
Maybe she should have considered that taking a snippy self-righteous tone was the wrong thing to do when she was on her employer's comment page?

Sure, the idiots were being idiots, but to try and lecture those morons was the wrong approach.

“Proud White Woman for life!”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Feb 8, 2014
 

Judged:

2

2

2

I saw nothing wrong with her first posting. Everyone needs to see that is just another valid way for a BW to do her hair. It is just hair, and everyone needs to get over themselves. She might have done better to have just used the word woman and not "Black woman" in quotes. But still, it did not detract from the message. She was telling it like it was.

As for the second posting, she could have said more in less words and kept the angry tone out, but I didn't find it offensive. She would have done better to have avoided the racial conspiracy comments.

I just hope she gets a job soon.
Sunshine

Freeport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Feb 8, 2014
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Wow! what was the big deal over her comment? she is correct, black hair grows upward and not downward. That lady was cute as a button. They probably was jealous of her from the start and just looking for a reason to let her go.

“Proud White Woman for life!”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Feb 8, 2014
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Sunshine wrote:
Wow! what was the big deal over her comment? she is correct, black hair grows upward and not downward. That lady was cute as a button. They probably was jealous of her from the start and just looking for a reason to let her go.
I agree. I think that most Black ladies on the news are cute. I don't know why the viewer criticized. It would not surprise me if it were a Black man or a jealous White female who complained. But I just checked, and it is just a racist White guy I assume. I am sure that is not the first Black woman with short hair he saw on television. But as to why he targeted her, I don't know. Maybe it was just accessibility. Or maybe he targets everyone, who knows? He acts like the world is not ready for this, but this has been a standard hairstyle for years. Robin Roberts and others wear cropped hair too.

“Proud White Woman for life!”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Feb 8, 2014
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I see what seems to be an unhealthy trend in society. People are getting more and more demanding and vocal about how *other people* dress and look. School dress codes are becoming more unreasonable. Professionals are saying more to their clients about how they are dressed and quick to drop patients because they don't look, act, or think like what they want. In the 80's, the school dress codes were not as demanding as they are now, and the changes have not improved education nor the capacity to tolerate others and differences in the least. I remember nose piercings when I went to school, and nobody said anything. I remember a guy who had his hair all poofed out like the girls of that era, and nobody gave him grief. His girlfriend liked it, I assume. Boys were just starting to wear earrings, and while that was not accepted in society, they were allowed to do so. There were religious and medical exceptions for certain things, and they were honored.

I participate on a Q&A site and put out the notion there that dress has little to do with behavior. Sure, uniforms might instill some pride if the institution they support actually is worthy of pride. I believe I do tend to sing a little better when wearing a choir robe. The weight of representing a church and even Christ is a reminder to do one's best. However, there is only so much of that sort of value. If how people dressed influenced bad behavior in a significant way, then we could just close prisons and open more textile mills and clothing stores, and forbid the convicted from dressing a certain way. Just imagine if a judge said:

"The court finds you guilty of robbery and public intoxication with drugs, so it is my sentence that you avoid dressing like a robber or a drug user for the next 5 years, and an officer will be assigned to check in on you to make sure you comply with the order of this court. Okay bailiff, what is the next case on the docket?"

If a judge said that, that would beg the question as to what robbers and junkies dress like. And that is the problem. There is no one robber uniform or junkie uniform. Most don't wear striped jumpsuits and masks in public, so there is no way to spot them in advance other than maybe their body language.

So people dress like gangsta's because that is what they are, or at least because they are poseurs who agree with that life, or they just want to rebel or shock others. What they wear doesn't make them criminal, but being criminals or whatever make them want to wear things that resonate with that life.

“No man is worth it”

Since: Jan 14

Yonkers, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Feb 8, 2014
 
oh wow. She is not supposed to just sit there and tolerate that and I applaud her for it. And yes she was right to use the term African American women and not women in general because this issue applied to us and blacks all over. ww don't face this issue and therefore it is not about them. Many white Americans and other non-blacks are very racist and offensive towards bw on the news. Their hair has to look a certain way and many are "supposed" to have weave or something that looks "suitable" to "their" standards. MY OPINION IS THAT HER HAIR LOOKS Beautiful. If her boss was a black man or woman I doubt she would have gotten fired.

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Feb 8, 2014
 
Sunshine wrote:
Wow! what was the big deal over her comment? she is correct, black hair grows upward and not downward. That lady was cute as a button. They probably was jealous of her from the start and just looking for a reason to let her go.
Thats if the Black person was born with naturally curly hair. Not all Black folks have naturally curly hair.
.
To a point it is true with straight hair. But straight hair tends to follow the laws of gravity faster after a certain set of lengths of hair.
Zombie Corpse Rental

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Feb 8, 2014
 
"Sit there and tolerate that"? Actually, she's on her employer's web page, representing her employer.

She needed to calm the hell down, act like a professional, and tell the trolls to have a nice day and be sure to tune in at 11 for the news.

And then stop posting about it.

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Feb 8, 2014
 

Judged:

1

1

Zombie Corpse Rental wrote:
Maybe she should have considered that taking a snippy self-righteous tone was the wrong thing to do when she was on her employer's comment page?
Sure, the idiots were being idiots, but to try and lecture those morons was the wrong approach.
When you are a employee of a company. Many of the companies expect you to NOT have a opinion on anything. They expect the employee to be a lil robot with the four 'no evils'- say, hear, speak, do, firmly in place.
.
Because to them, you are there to do a job. Not to make comments about and or to the body that makes up the money base or followers of that company. You are supposedly also not supposed to air out your political standings on anything.
.
She is not the first to fall due to a employee expressing themselves in a form of public domain. And I know that she will not be the last.

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Feb 8, 2014
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Spotted Girl wrote:
I see what seems to be an unhealthy trend in society. People are getting more and more demanding and vocal about how *other people* dress and look. School dress codes are becoming more unreasonable. Professionals are saying more to their clients about how they are dressed and quick to drop patients because they don't look, act, or think like what they want. In the 80's, the school dress codes were not as demanding as they are now, and the changes have not improved education nor the capacity to tolerate others and differences in the least. I remember nose piercings when I went to school, and nobody said anything. I remember a guy who had his hair all poofed out like the girls of that era, and nobody gave him grief. His girlfriend liked it, I assume. Boys were just starting to wear earrings, and while that was not accepted in society, they were allowed to do so. There were religious and medical exceptions for certain things, and they were honored.
I participate on a Q&A site and put out the notion there that dress has little to do with behavior. Sure, uniforms might instill some pride if the institution they support actually is worthy of pride. I believe I do tend to sing a little better when wearing a choir robe. The weight of representing a church and even Christ is a reminder to do one's best. However, there is only so much of that sort of value. If how people dressed influenced bad behavior in a significant way, then we could just close prisons and open more textile mills and clothing stores, and forbid the convicted from dressing a certain way. Just imagine if a judge said:
"The court finds you guilty of robbery and public intoxication with drugs, so it is my sentence that you avoid dressing like a robber or a drug user for the next 5 years, and an officer will be assigned to check in on you to make sure you comply with the order of this court. Okay bailiff, what is the next case on the docket?"
If a judge said that, that would beg the question as to what robbers and junkies dress like. And that is the problem. There is no one robber uniform or junkie uniform. Most don't wear striped jumpsuits and masks in public, so there is no way to spot them in advance other than maybe their body language.
So people dress like gangsta's because that is what they are, or at least because they are poseurs who agree with that life, or they just want to rebel or shock others. What they wear doesn't make them criminal, but being criminals or whatever make them want to wear things that resonate with that life.
You are correct about the dress codes in school. It was not that bad in the 70s. Used to be common to see boys with hair down to the middle of their backs. Girls finally in 74 got to wear pants in school. The only bylaw on the clothing and hair was that it had to be neat and clean.
I know I am right

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Feb 8, 2014
 
She didn't have to mention she's African American at all, all she need say was that her hair doesn't grow downward but up...job down...I feel she took the guy's comment as a racial slur, when it wasn't, it was just a personal preference over hairstyling on a female.

The second comment again was just a query as to whether the kids were selected for their color, she didn't need to be so aggressive and sensitive about it.

This is the problem with Blacks in this country, too sensitive about their color...which is funny considering, like her, they say they are happy with their ancestry and color.

Anyone who is TRULY happy with themselves in life, doesn't give a shit what someone else says about them.

Too me she is a powder keg...

“Proud White Woman for life!”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Feb 8, 2014
 
Sangelia wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct about the dress codes in school. It was not that bad in the 70s. Used to be common to see boys with hair down to the middle of their backs. Girls finally in 74 got to wear pants in school. The only bylaw on the clothing and hair was that it had to be neat and clean.
Bingo! That is the point I left out. Neat and clean.

I am more a child of the 80's (born in the early 70's), and I only remember one incident of anyone getting discipline over what they had on. Two boys got on the bus looking a bit like the crossdressed rock stars of the 80's. The next day, they told what happened. They were sent home to change and given a little In-School Suspension.

Things are just getting out of hand with the rules and stuff. Like the White girl who got suspended for 2 weeks for getting cornrows. The rules made that an ethnic-specific hairstyle.

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Feb 8, 2014
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Spotted Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Bingo! That is the point I left out. Neat and clean.
I am more a child of the 80's (born in the early 70's), and I only remember one incident of anyone getting discipline over what they had on. Two boys got on the bus looking a bit like the crossdressed rock stars of the 80's. The next day, they told what happened. They were sent home to change and given a little In-School Suspension.
Things are just getting out of hand with the rules and stuff. Like the White girl who got suspended for 2 weeks for getting cornrows. The rules made that an ethnic-specific hairstyle.
Whereas I was born in the early 60s. I still remember having to wear dresses in the dead of winter. I grew up only about six miles from where I live now. I was in 5th grade when I was finally able to wear pants to school. Almost have never worn a dress since pretty much except when needed. Thank goodness those times that it is needed is rare.
.
As for jobs. I know of a couple of friends who lost their jobs due to them getting baited by folks. Because they showed themselves to be people with views of their own. One of those friends luckily learned from the first time he was fired. When the same person tried it again where my fiend had gotten hired later on.
.
I do have to admit that some of it is how society views the genders when it came to that woman's hair. Women are supposed to have long hair to be considered feminine. dress and make up to look feminine, act feminine. Males are supposed to be the ones with almost military short hair.

“Proud White Woman for life!”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Feb 8, 2014
 
Sangelia wrote:
<quoted text>
Whereas I was born in the early 60s. I still remember having to wear dresses in the dead of winter. I grew up only about six miles from where I live now. I was in 5th grade when I was finally able to wear pants to school. Almost have never worn a dress since pretty much except when needed. Thank goodness those times that it is needed is rare.
.
As for jobs. I know of a couple of friends who lost their jobs due to them getting baited by folks. Because they showed themselves to be people with views of their own. One of those friends luckily learned from the first time he was fired. When the same person tried it again where my fiend had gotten hired later on.
.
I do have to admit that some of it is how society views the genders when it came to that woman's hair. Women are supposed to have long hair to be considered feminine. dress and make up to look feminine, act feminine. Males are supposed to be the ones with almost military short hair.
I agree.

On the gender roles thing, I support it to a certain amount. I do think men and women should have their own unique ways to dress to a point, but I don't support bigotry based on what people are wearing. Maybe it would help if more people would realize that different cultures have their own dress and gender standards.

Here is one thing that baffles me. If a TS woman is dressed fully as a woman and following all of society's rules for women are so many BP unable to see that and treat them according to which social role they are attempting to conform to? A TS woman doesn't go through all the trouble of buying dresses, taking hormones, getting voice lessons, seeing therapists and doctors all to be disrespected by male pronouns. A number of times, Black men singling out White TS women for this abuse causes the N-word to get thrown. No, that is not right either, but to the TS woman, being misgendered actually does more lasting harm. But who is the most likely to be severely beaten for saying what? And this begs a question, how does living in Black culture vs. a White one affect one's perceptions of genders and gender determination abilities?
goingongoing

Voorhees, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Feb 9, 2014
 
ok i'm a black guy And I would straighten my hair I see it as fun.. and even snoop dog straightened his hair and white people dye their hair all the time..

even whites don't like their hair.. natural stuff is stupid that's why we cut down trees..
goingongoing

Voorhees, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Feb 9, 2014
 
i wouldn't have it go straight down though i would rather have like 2 tail knots on the side tha'ts my favorite hair style..
goingongoing

Voorhees, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Feb 9, 2014
 
it shouldn't be down your throat to have straight hair or Anything but yea.. it's i mean..

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Feb 9, 2014
 
goingongoing wrote:
ok i'm a black guy And I would straighten my hair I see it as fun.. and even snoop dog straightened his hair and white people dye their hair all the time..
even whites don't like their hair.. natural stuff is stupid that's why we cut down trees..
If we Whites hate our hair. Then why are many of us NOT dying it when it goes grey?
Sunshine

Freeport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Feb 9, 2014
 
I know I am right wrote:
She didn't have to mention she's African American at all, all she need say was that her hair doesn't grow downward but up...job down...I feel she took the guy's comment as a racial slur, when it wasn't, it was just a personal preference over hairstyling on a female.
The second comment again was just a query as to whether the kids were selected for their color, she didn't need to be so aggressive and sensitive about it.
This is the problem with Blacks in this country, too sensitive about their color...which is funny considering, like her, they say they are happy with their ancestry and color.
Anyone who is TRULY happy with themselves in life, doesn't give a shit what someone else says about them.
Too me she is a powder keg...
Your comment is going left. Again, the weather woman fired comment wasn't harsh or aggressive. It's obvious she is happy with self, and Happy with her naturally curly hair. It was the other person who made the negative comment and it probably was a racist. Black people are not sensitive about their color, or their ancestry. Most Black people love their hair, love their skin and just love love their body. It's others who have a problem with it. You mention something about gravity pulling hair down. That is not exactly true because static- key hair will stand up and wont lay down unless you apply water on it.

“Proud White Woman for life!”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Feb 9, 2014
 
Sangelia wrote:
<quoted text>
If we Whites hate our hair. Then why are many of us NOT dying it when it goes grey?
For guys, the grey hair thing adds to "distinction" and machismo. In tribes, the older-looking ones are more likely to be accepted as chiefs or elders.

Also, Whites can fall into 4 main color groupings in terms of skin tone, eye color, and hair color. For certain types, like the "winters," the hair fades into a "salt and pepper" look, and some find this sexy.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of30
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••