created by: Harrisson | Oct 10, 2013

African-American

18 votes

U.S. Poverty in 2013: Is it a problem?

Click on an option to vote

  • Yes, life is a struggle
  • No problem in my home
  • Only for the lazy

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 18 of18

Level 8

Since: May 08

Pacific Northwest

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Oct 10, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

REPORT: Child Hunger Is Concentrated In Rural America

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/06/10/2...

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Level 8

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Oct 10, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Harrisson wrote:
REPORT: Child Hunger Is Concentrated In Rural America
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/06/10/2...
In fact, poverty has been growing and expanding everywhere while more and more wealth is concentrated in fewer and fewer hands.

Time to renew Dr. King's POOR PEOPLES MOVEMENT perhaps?

Level 8

Since: May 08

Pacific Northwest

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Oct 10, 2013
 
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
In fact, poverty has been growing and expanding everywhere while more and more wealth is concentrated in fewer and fewer hands.
Time to renew Dr. King's POOR PEOPLES MOVEMENT perhaps?
There's no "Perhaps" about it, Brother!! ;o) It can't happen soon enough. We just need to find a way for people to get past the internal stigma associated with being poor.
Mr Giblets

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Oct 10, 2013
 
yes, Harrison has worked it out! the problem with poverty is that people don't have any money. Even Obama isn't that smart , give that man a NObel prize.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Level 8

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Oct 10, 2013
 
Harrisson wrote:
REPORT: Child Hunger Is Concentrated In Rural America
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/06/10/2...
It looks like you've got two goofs in your thread. We must get some more socially conscious and intelligent participants.
Giggs

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Oct 10, 2013
 
Harrisson wrote:
REPORT: Child Hunger Is Concentrated In Rural America
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/06/10/2...
"For ye have the poor with you always"

Whatever country you live in there will always be those at the top of the pyramid and those at the bottom.

The rich sht down on the poor and when the poor look up all they see is azz holes.

But I would rather be poor in the USA than in the uk. Sleeping rough out hear is harsh. Winter is coming and some of them freeze to death. At least you have the southern states.

“Education is a key to success.”

Level 6

Since: Sep 11

Proud graduate! Woohoo!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Oct 10, 2013
 
The knowledge that somewhere in the U.S. a child goes hungry due to a lack of resources makes me sad. And yet Giggs is right. The poor will be with us always, but that doesn't mean we can't do anything to help the situation.

To be honest, I've donated more clothing than food over the years. It looks like I should start donating more of my unused can goods.

Level 8

Since: May 08

Pacific Northwest

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Oct 10, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
It looks like you've got two goofs in your thread. We must get some more socially conscious and intelligent participants.
That will come with time, Brother. Out of respect for my own thread, I will not even dignify the offenders' comments with a response - and I shall encourage others to behave in a similar fashion.

I'll be very busy this evening but will return to this thread on Friday and over the weekend.
the great white man ha ha

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Oct 10, 2013
 
stick your money up your black azz ha ha ha

“Jesus loves you all!”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Oct 10, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Busta Knutte wrote:
No Nicca better get between me and my money thas right.
Sir, it's becoming a cash less society built upon class.
Blacks Are Worthless

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Oct 10, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

The only problem America has is the shiftless, lazy, good for nothing blacks sucking on that welfare tit all the while crying the blues about they can't get a fair shake.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Level 8

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Oct 11, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Harrisson wrote:
<quoted text>
That will come with time, Brother. Out of respect for my own thread, I will not even dignify the offenders' comments with a response - and I shall encourage others to behave in a similar fashion.
I'll be very busy this evening but will return to this thread on Friday and over the weekend.
Your intelligent posts are being censored--especially the one in which you make a passing allusion to Marx.
But the racists and reactionaries--who objectively help the system maintain poverty on behalf of the 1%--those clowns simply get to post any bit of idiocy they please.
I've said before that this place isn't a REAL forum, nor really even African American.
Anytime an AA brother trying to start a dialogue on a SERIOUS issue is censored in his own thread, and the racists who come to DISRUPT the thread gets a free hand, not only isn't this a forum.
It is perhaps a propaganda arm of the racist capitalist clique, the predarory 1%.
But we will see what we can't get past the Fascist censors. Death to the plutocracy! Justice for the 99%!

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Level 8

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Oct 11, 2013
 
Harrisson wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no "Perhaps" about it, Brother!! ;o) It can't happen soon enough. We just need to find a way for people to get past the internal stigma associated with being poor.
"The only real revolutionary, people say, is a man who has nothing to lose. There are MILLIONS of poor people in this country who have very little, or nothing, to lose. If they can be helped to take action TOGETHER, they will do so with a freedom and a power that will be a new and unsettling force in our complacent national life." (A TESTAMENT OF HOPE: THE ESSENTIAL WRITINGS AND SPEECHES OF MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR., pp. 650--651).

Yes, brother Harrisson. A radical Poor Peoples Movement is more needed today than in the time when Dr. King tried to organize one.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Level 8

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Oct 11, 2013
 
Phoenix Ascended wrote:
<quoted text>
Sir, it's becoming a cash less society built upon class.
Busta's posts are mainly provocative in an irrelevant way. But you may be on to something.
Capitalism, more than any previous system, has been known for its constant technological revolutions, its revolutionizations of the instruments of production.
It expands profits by reducing thereby the costs of labor. Revolutionizing the instruments of production increases the productivity of labor. And until recently these technological revolutions has created mainly labor saving devices.
But with the full blown electronic revolution in global capitalism, there is a qualitative leap in the revolutionizing of technology. The power of labor is expanded so much, with less and less labor needed to create more and more wealth (for the capitalist at least), that eventually labor itself is negated and rendered obsolete. From labor saving devices we move toward labor REPLACING devides. We see this increasingly with the advance of computerization and robotization of production. Labor, which produced these technological marvels is now replaced by the very instruments of production it created. Hence the worker become increasingly obsolete. One or two robots can produce as many (or more) cars as 1000 auto workers forty years ago.
There even robots than can do hip replacement surgery. How long will it be before physicians, like ordinary workers, are displaced.
One of the reason for the social misery and chaos in Black America is that the first parts of the industrial economy to be dismantled were those in which you had the largest concentration of cheap labor. And thanks to centuries of racial caste our workers are disproportionately trapped in those very low paying jobs which the electronic revolution began destroying first.
This destruction is moving up the socioeconomic ladder to the middle strata.(Thank heavens I have TENURE since they're even trying to replace educators with computers!)
But let us not forget that as thinkers as different as John locke, Adam Smith and Karl Marx all agree (perhaps the ONLY thing on which they agree) is that the source of wealth is labor.
If things reach the point where you can create wealth without labor there must be eventually a form of distribution without money.
If people cannot buy then the rich cannot sell. Capitalism caves from within.
A poor peoples movment today must be a REVOLUTIONARY movement. The poor can pioneer a fundamental transformation of the social order if only they can be awakened, and throw off habits like pessimism, or (for many) the self-contempt of a reactionary culture which holds that if you have nothing (or little) then you are worth nothing (or little).
Dr. King was right: We much begin a revolution of values. Not just a re-arrangement of institutions, but a transvaluation of values which recognizes the inherent worth and dignity of every man, woman and child on earth.

“Behave Yourself”

Level 5

Since: Jul 07

Fort Worth, Texas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Oct 11, 2013
 
Good luck to those just getting started in life, looking for work. If I could offer any advice I'd say get educated and learn a skill that will allow you to be your own boss as the money hoarders that run the country will continue to make life difficult in an economic system stacked against those who are not rich...

“Jesus loves you all!”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Oct 11, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Savant wrote:
<quoted text>Busta's posts are mainly provocative in an irrelevant way. But you may be on to something.
Capitalism, more than any previous system, has been known for its constant technological revolutions, its revolutionizations of the instruments of production.
It expands profits by reducing thereby the costs of labor. Revolutionizing the instruments of production increases the productivity of labor. And until recently these technological revolutions has created mainly labor saving devices.
But with the full blown electronic revolution in global capitalism, there is a qualitative leap in the revolutionizing of technology. The power of labor is expanded so much, with less and less labor needed to create more and more wealth (for the capitalist at least), that eventually labor itself is negated and rendered obsolete. From labor saving devices we move toward labor REPLACING devides. We see this increasingly with the advance of computerization and robotization of production. Labor, which produced these technological marvels is now replaced by the very instruments of production it created. Hence the worker become increasingly obsolete. One or two robots can produce as many (or more) cars as 1000 auto workers forty years ago.
There even robots than can do hip replacement surgery. How long will it be before physicians, like ordinary workers, are displaced.
One of the reason for the social misery and chaos in Black America is that the first parts of the industrial economy to be dismantled were those in which you had the largest concentration of cheap labor. And thanks to centuries of racial caste our workers are disproportionately trapped in those very low paying jobs which the electronic revolution began destroying first.
This destruction is moving up the socioeconomic ladder to the middle strata.(Thank heavens I have TENURE since they're even trying to replace educators with computers!)
But let us not forget that as thinkers as different as John locke, Adam Smith and Karl Marx all agree (perhaps the ONLY thing on which they agree) is that the source of wealth is labor.
If things reach the point where you can create wealth without labor there must be eventually a form of distribution without money.
If people cannot buy then the rich cannot sell. Capitalism caves from within.
A poor peoples movment today must be a REVOLUTIONARY movement. The poor can pioneer a fundamental transformation of the social order if only they can be awakened, and throw off habits like pessimism, or (for many) the self-contempt of a reactionary culture which holds that if you have nothing (or little) then you are worth nothing (or little).
Dr. King was right: We much begin a revolution of values. Not just a re-arrangement of institutions, but a transvaluation of values which recognizes the inherent worth and dignity of every man, woman and child on earth.
It's been predicted in the bible that in the last days that we will have a cashless society built upon class. Most will soon be without basic items.

“Jesus loves you all!”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Oct 11, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Busta Knutte wrote:
<quoted text>A real Nicca would have stepped to me
Savant is a college professor if I'm not mistaken, so he's not that derogatory term that you used. Please don't define yourself with a racial epithet, sir.

Level 8

Since: May 08

Pacific Northwest

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Oct 12, 2013
 
Phoenix Ascended wrote:
<quoted text>
Savant is a college professor if I'm not mistaken, so he's not that derogatory term that you used. Please don't define yourself with a racial epithet, sir.
Thank you, Phoenix Ascended, for insisting on some civility and decorum in this thread.

In the meantime, I'm encouraged by the survey responses. At least 37% of the replies (at this time) voted "Yes, life is a struggle."
I am part of that 37%. I still have my property but I am fighting to recover my middle-class status in the wake of this punishing Great Recession.

The Constitution guarantees us Freedom of Speech, along with The Right to Bear Arms, and other key civil rights... but it doesn't guarantee any of us the right to be middle-class or the right to be free of poverty.

For that "right" we have to fight like hell - which is what I am doing. Let us see where this discussion takes us.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 18 of18
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••