Baby Names..... Your take

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#98 Oct 22, 2013
-Ghedi wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to agree with you, an African picking European names for their children is laughable. But you have to remember that these Africans that do that don't have any connection to their mother culture. They are White washed. They also probably consider their African names as being something to look down upon. I can bet that woman probably doesn't even speak her mother tongue.
That being said, there are many Africans who take pride in their origins and name their children pure African names even here in the West.
straight up.

“Out of the US back in France”

Level 5

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#99 Oct 22, 2013
Desmond Sandiford wrote:
<quoted text>have you never heard of a "screen name"? are you really that clueless as to think i would use my real name on topix?...what is wrong with you?
So of all of the AFRICAN AMERICAN screen names you could have used, you decided to identify yourself with a European name? You realise that your argument is pathetic right? Your birth name you cannot choose, your screen name on a public forum on the other hand YOU CHOOSE by yourself. So why did you not choose MALIK OR JAYSHAWN? smh at your stupidity.

Level 5

Location hidden

#100 Oct 22, 2013
Desmond Sandiford wrote:
more beautiful BLACK AMERICAN baby names...as in
girls
-aaliyah
-kiara
-jada
-jamila
boys
- jayden
- tyrese
- tyrone
- ismail
So why don't you use the screen name Tyrese Sandiford?

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#101 Oct 22, 2013
Silverness wrote:
Hie Guys!
So my boyfriend and I have been throwing around baby names.... Playfully, I'm not pregnant. And our top 3 are
1. Hugo
2. Louis
3. Theodore
And....
1. Anastasia
2. Alexandria
3. Sophia
Second names we have agreed will be Christian names; Jude, Seth, Micah, Anna, Julia, Susannah etc
And third names will be the happy hippie Asa, Pax, Willow, Raina, Starla, Thalia etc
I was thinking of including African names Khaya (home), Atidaishe (the Lord has loved us), Anashe (she/he is with the Lord), Dalitso (blessings), you get the jist -- but to be honest I have a name my boyfriend can't even pronounce, so I'm not too keen on that.
So what do you think of the names? And what are your personal favourites?
The names you have chosen show you bow to white supremacy. People would assume anyone called Hugo, Julia etc would be white.
How many black Judes do you know?
I like Imani, Ebony, Onyx, Judah, Ola, Amara, Leonie.

Level 2

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#102 Oct 22, 2013
Toomis wrote:
<quoted text>while you're at it why not:

Fresca
Mountain Dew
Dr Pepper
Orangina
Fizz
Freekee
Kinnie
Schweppes
Sodastream
Julmust

to name a few. I'm sure there's more
Haha Julmust!

Location hidden

#103 Oct 22, 2013
Desmond Sandiford wrote:
<quoted text>it's dumb africans like you that make you people a laughingstock. instead of uplifting your own african culture and picking out some nice african names you wanna swoon over the name of some inbred european aristocrat that, if they were alive, would just as soon look at you as spit in your face then lock you up and make you their slave...funny how you people have learned to romanticize the very same people that degraded you.
don't you have any black pride at all?
Exactly.

Level 5

Location hidden

#104 Oct 22, 2013
-Ghedi wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the dumbest thing I've heard.
So you are willing to completely dissolve the African heritage of your children?
And what will they do when they go around at the age of 13 trying to label themselves as "European" and White laugh at them? You are setting up your children for failure.
No African man will take on a child that is so fked up in the head about their African side thanks to their mother. Real African men take pride in their heritage and culture. Maybe you'll find a guy who calls himself "European" and has no idea of his African heritage, that might work out.
AT least teach them about both their cultures.
sigh. What African man are you talking of? My man is NOT African. You completely missed my point didn't you?

Location hidden

#105 Oct 22, 2013
I like Umar after Dr Umar Johnson or Neely after Neely Fuller Jr.

Level 5

Location hidden

#106 Oct 22, 2013
-Ghedi wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the dumbest thing I've heard.
So you are willing to completely dissolve the African heritage of your children?
And what will they do when they go around at the age of 13 trying to label themselves as "European" and White laugh at them? You are setting up your children for failure.
No African man will take on a child that is so fked up in the head about their African side thanks to their mother. Real African men take pride in their heritage and culture. Maybe you'll find a guy who calls himself "European" and has no idea of his African heritage, that might work out.
AT least teach them about both their cultures.
You obviously know NOTHING about African culture. My mother is Ugandan and my father is South African. I have no link whatsoever with my Ugandan side because in the African culture a child takes his/her fathers EVERYTHING. That is my culture.

That said, I did not say, my kids will not know of their African side, they obviously will but their names and legal identity will be their father's as I will be too when we get married.

Level 2

Location hidden

#107 Oct 22, 2013
Baby names are so difficult to choose. I am very happy with the names we gave our son but if I ever have children I really don't know what I would name them.
But I like names like Samuel, Elia, Simon, Gabriel. I like the names Adeline or Adele for a girl.

Level 5

Location hidden

#108 Oct 22, 2013
Shalimarr wrote:
<quoted text>
The names you have chosen show you bow to white supremacy. People would assume anyone called Hugo, Julia etc would be white.
How many black Judes do you know?
I like Imani, Ebony, Onyx, Judah, Ola, Amara, Leonie.
Jude is under the Christian names I picked, named after St Jude Patron Saint of impossible causes - which I hope my son will emulate. White people actually do not like that name much because in German it literally means Jew.

Level 5

Location hidden

#109 Oct 22, 2013
Shalimarr wrote:
I like Umar after Dr Umar Johnson or Neely after Neely Fuller Jr.
Imani, Ebony, Onyx, Judah, Ola, Amara, Leonie.

I personally choose names based on their meaning.
I only defended the name Hugo with a famous Hugo because Odinist had said it is considered a cave name in his country. I do not name my children based on famous people but on the meaning of the name and what it will inspire in them.

I have noticed that most of the AA names people are listing are Arabic, Umar is the best the meaning is flourishing. Imani is also Arabic, beautiful meaning too, Ebony ironically is Latin and Greek, Leonie also Latin and not a fan of the meaning of those 2.... And I don't even know how to pronounce Onyx. Nice contribution.

Level 5

Location hidden

#110 Oct 22, 2013
oOMayaOo wrote:
Baby names are so difficult to choose. I am very happy with the names we gave our son but if I ever have children I really don't know what I would name them.
But I like names like Samuel, Elia, Simon, Gabriel. I like the names Adeline or Adele for a girl.
Adeline sounds beautifully feminine.... noble, I am stealing this one ;)

“Reality is merely an illusion”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#111 Oct 22, 2013
Carmiana wrote:
My mother named me after an evil woman in the bible.
Because you are evil incarnate.

“Reality is merely an illusion”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#112 Oct 22, 2013
Silverness wrote:
<quoted text>
Imani, Ebony, Onyx, Judah, Ola, Amara, Leonie.
I personally choose names based on their meaning.
I only defended the name Hugo with a famous Hugo because Odinist had said it is considered a cave name in his country. I do not name my children based on famous people but on the meaning of the name and what it will inspire in them.
I have noticed that most of the AA names people are listing are Arabic, Umar is the best the meaning is flourishing. Imani is also Arabic, beautiful meaning too, Ebony ironically is Latin and Greek, Leonie also Latin and not a fan of the meaning of those 2.... And I don't even know how to pronounce Onyx. Nice contribution.
Name your kid whatever you want, don't choose some "super African" name to appease random Black people that you don't know, and don't choose something thats going to get your kid picked on at school.

Level 2

Location hidden

#113 Oct 22, 2013
Silverness wrote:
<quoted text>Adeline sounds beautifully feminine.... noble, I am stealing this one ;)
Go ahead :)

Level 3

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#114 Oct 22, 2013
Silverness wrote:
Hie Guys!
So my boyfriend and I have been throwing around baby names.... Playfully, I'm not pregnant. And our top 3 are
1. Hugo
2. Louis
3. Theodore
And....
1. Anastasia
2. Alexandria
3. Sophia
Second names we have agreed will be Christian names; Jude, Seth, Micah, Anna, Julia, Susannah etc
And third names will be the happy hippie Asa, Pax, Willow, Raina, Starla, Thalia etc
I was thinking of including African names Khaya (home), Atidaishe (the Lord has loved us), Anashe (she/he is with the Lord), Dalitso (blessings), you get the jist -- but to be honest I have a name my boyfriend can't even pronounce, so I'm not too keen on that.
So what do you think of the names? And what are your personal favourites?
Do not listen to the haters. They will get you naming your baby some Middle Eastern names just to try and prove that they are free slaves. The simplest question on this forum turns into a white people this white people that debate - I suggest you ignore the mob pollution.

I like Theodore, it sounds nice and masculine but not in a bossy way. On the other hand I have to agree with an earlier poster that Hugo just sounds a bit brutish.... But that is just me and my beliefs.

I am a fan of Nathaniel, Henry, Marcus, Julius and Liam. For girls I will always love the name Kaitlin, my first daughter will definitely be a Kaitlin but now the problem is that usually when you see the child it's likely that you will change your mind. I am surprised that you have a man who is willing to talk baby names - are there any proposal hints?

Level 3

Location hidden

#115 Oct 22, 2013
Matthew_1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Name your kid whatever you want, don't choose some "super African" name to appease random Black people that you don't know, and don't choose something thats going to get your kid picked on at school.
Listen to this guy. You can never please everyone, aim to please yourself and your man. Only the 2 of you know what kind of child you want to raise and if you feel like you want to raise a Louis instead of a Tupac let YOU be the decider of that.

Level 3

Location hidden

#116 Oct 22, 2013
Matthew_1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you are evil incarnate.
Oh Jehova... lol

Level 7

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#117 Oct 22, 2013
Jesuspeaceandlove wrote:
The woman Kunta falls in love with.
I've loved Kunta since i was like...13-14 years old.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 5 min thetruth 50,786
San Francisco or Detroit. bigger shythole? 5 min LGBT trumps black 9
The Moors, Egyptians and Phoenicians were not b... (Jun '14) 9 min thetruth 1,681
Will Le Pen repatriate Muslims from france? 14 min dcool 112
Psychotic Armed Lives Matter 19 min Tacticool Libs No... 2
New Far right POTUS , ISIS is Celebrating !!! 19 min dcool 92
King tut's tomb 24 min dcool 113
Are black people really the real jews? (Oct '12) 36 min thetruth 1,313
According to the one drop rule, white "people" ... 1 hr Snap 75
News White rage and racist thought: How history puts... 5 hr KIP 56
More from around the web