bejacopt

Westminster, CA

#70 Apr 15, 2010
hausa boy wrote:
<quoted text>
igbos do not even know where the term igbo/heebo/ebo/ibo originate from, so red eboe can be anything, some even say that igbo means slave, its quiet obvious that during slaery europeans could care less to distinguish between a igbo slave and a ashante slave, a fact! europeans are known to coin terms on people, just like they do with ethiopia, they not only used it for the east african ethiopians as we know, but also for west africans and all people of the dark hue
You are wrong in this one, they did distinguished between different african groups that is for sure.
bejacopt

Westminster, CA

#74 Apr 15, 2010
hausa boy wrote:
bejacopt, your own link states that ebou was used for any person who was light skinned, it never denotes to a person of what is today known as the ndigbo, the igbos call themselves ngwa, ogba, ikwerre etc.
True, indeed, i had had a ibo roomate for many years, but the fact of the matter, those are probably language groups or dialects among the ibo population. For example my parents are beja, but you have different groups among the beja population in egypt, eastern sudan, and eritre, eventhough we speak many different dialects which is not underable to each other, yet we identify with all groups as simply part of the beja nation.
bejacopt

Westminster, CA

#75 Apr 15, 2010
hausa boy wrote:
bejacopt you are obsessed with the white mans version of his story, he does not even know how igbo is spelt, whether it is ibo,igbo,heebo,eboe etc. lay off that nonsense, the ndigbo do not even know where the term igbo originated from, according to the book i am reading europeans used the term igbo on everyone from the interior of ngeria as a pejorative term, hell some igbos hate to be termed heebo even they don't know where it comes from or how it is spelt, read the book by chibueze udeani, they still cannot come up with the origins of the term igbo, igbo is not even a term in any igbo language
it is pointless for me to argue with you
Since me and you are not igbo, lets have the ibos on this forum tell their own verion of history, Igbos who is more right me or hausaboy, please interject your take of the identity of your people.
UruEuWauWau

San Jose, CA

#76 Apr 15, 2010
bejacopt wrote:
<quoted text>You are wrong in this one, they did distinguished between different african groups that is for sure.
No they didn't. The only Europeans who had somewhat classified & organized evidence about slaves were Portuguese. But, their classification was mostly based on oral evidence from the Africans themselves, who were selling their slaves to the Portuguese, & by the language these slaves spoke, & only seldom by their costumes. & again it was mostly related to Brazil as the biggest destination country, were Portuguese had direct control & interest -- not even in the Dutch Brazil. Portuguese tried to group up slaves in a way preventing them to organize resistance based on the mutual intelligibility. All other countries who bought slaves from Portuguese didn't care about their origin. During that time many W. Africans used as 'lingua franca' languages of influential groups like Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Fula, etc. Practically all Pygmies speak Bantu languages of their Bantu neighbours today.
Protean

Eastbourne, UK

#78 Apr 15, 2010
UruEuWauWau wrote:
<quoted text>
E maa wi gege bi mo ti nso,'protean loves to sniff his butt 24/7 & he's clueless kid'!! E fori ji mi, nko le so Ibo daadaa. So why don't you fouk off & keep suckin' on your mom's??!! lol Ki ni?? Who says there was even a hint of apology in any of my replies???!!!! Aa, o ye mi nisisiyi! O ti so fun mi nipa mama ati baba re, sugbon o ko i ti i s'apejuwe won fun mi!!! Se o le se apejuwe mama ati baba re fun mi, omo? lol Ko buru si o dabo. Keep watching CNN & dreaming about being non-mixed Igbo oyinbo!! lol
WETIN NOW,OGINI,KILO DE,ABIN DA A YANZU
Dude,your Yoruba is utter rubbish and is being used out of context
Why are you trying to fake the funk,who exactly are you trying to deceive
why are you bringing parents into this matter,crase catch you
Na who dash you Ibadan,wetin you go do there
E b e say you don kolo, wetin be your own for this matter
I beg carry go with your wahala,Ewu!!
Just for the record,I am a she not a he,I repeat,yet again,Arrant Nonsense
UruEuWauWau

San Jose, CA

#79 Apr 15, 2010
bejacopt wrote:
<quoted text>I have to disagree with you on that one. During the history of slavery according to some records, they did describes certain ibos as yellowish in color(certainly not all), some expressions describing some ibos skin color survive today in the caribean and north america, for example, red eboe, or mean to be fair as a eboe or the expression red born in the states were probably due to the fair skinn eboes slaves in the new world during slavery.
Lemme teach ya something. Yoruba & Igbo are tonal languages, ok?! In tonal languages the same word w/ different tones has a different meaning. There's no point in citing a dictionary of Jamaican patois where there are no tones & language is complitely different. In Yoruba, for example, written 'igba' like this, can mean 'time','200','type of fruit','calabash','type of rope','while'. & written 'igbo' can mean even 'woods'. hence yes, it's useless to for one to rely on a word from tonal languages incorporated in a new language environment w/ diff meaning altogether attributed to the same word.
bejacopt

Westminster, CA

#80 Apr 15, 2010
UruEuWauWau wrote:
<quoted text>
No they didn't. The only Europeans who had somewhat classified & organized evidence about slaves were Portuguese. But, their classification was mostly based on oral evidence from the Africans themselves, who were selling their slaves to the Portuguese, & by the language these slaves spoke, & only seldom by their costumes. & again it was mostly related to Brazil as the biggest destination country, were Portuguese had direct control & interest -- not even in the Dutch Brazil. Portuguese tried to group up slaves in a way preventing them to organize resistance based on the mutual intelligibility. All other countries who bought slaves from Portuguese didn't care about their origin. During that time many W. Africans used as 'lingua franca' languages of influential groups like Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Fula, etc. Practically all Pygmies speak Bantu languages of their Bantu neighbours today.
There is a book written by Professor Gwendolyn Midlo, who made it her life time to study this particular subject. They did have some sought of weird favoritism to particular ethnic than others, it is very well documented.
http://www.flipkart.com/book/slavery-african-...
bejacopt

Westminster, CA

#81 Apr 15, 2010
UruEuWauWau wrote:
<quoted text>
Lemme teach ya something. Yoruba & Igbo are tonal languages, ok?! In tonal languages the same word w/ different tones has a different meaning. There's no point in citing a dictionary of Jamaican patois where there are no tones & language is complitely different. In Yoruba, for example, written 'igba' like this, can mean 'time','200','type of fruit','calabash','type of rope','while'. & written 'igbo' can mean even 'woods'. hence yes, it's useless to for one to rely on a word from tonal languages incorporated in a new language environment w/ diff meaning altogether attributed to the same word.
Personally, i could buy that i want to here this from a very educated ibo on this trend. Let the ibos explain their history to us, since both me and you are frankly outsiders eventhough, you are nigerian, but you are not of the ibos ethnic group.
UruEuWauWau

San Jose, CA

#82 Apr 15, 2010
Protean wrote:
<quoted text>
WETIN NOW,OGINI,KILO DE,ABIN DA A YANZU
Dude,your Yoruba is utter rubbish and is being used out of context
Why are you trying to fake the funk,who exactly are you trying to deceive
why are you bringing parents into this matter,crase catch you
Na who dash you Ibadan,wetin you go do there
E b e say you don kolo, wetin be your own for this matter
I beg carry go with your wahala,Ewu!!
Just for the record,I am a she not a he,I repeat,yet again,Arrant Nonsense
Hey, you back, bytch wannabe?! lol I see you like me head over heels!! lol I see even you understood @ least 'mama' & 'papa'!! Bwahahaha. Tell me, what else did I say? But don't go again spouting shyat like,'oh, you said a lot of nonsense'!! It'll be too cheap even for a butt-sniffer she wannabe like ya, kiddo. lol
UruEuWauWau

San Jose, CA

#83 Apr 15, 2010
bejacopt wrote:
<quoted text>There is a book written by Professor Gwendolyn Midlo, who made it her life time to study this particular subject. They did have some sought of weird favoritism to particular ethnic than others, it is very well documented.
http://www.flipkart.com/book/slavery-african-...
Oh, it doesn't take even this much to read a book. You simply go to Salvador in Brazil & you'll hear all in details, from the first days when Africans were brought on 'black ships' to Brazil to these recent days. Portuguese even called people from W. Sahel region 'Sudanese', although they had nothing to do w/ Sudan.
bejacopt

Westminster, CA

#84 Apr 15, 2010
hausa boy wrote:
bejacopt
i want to ask a igbo, what igbo means in any of what is called igbo languages, if i get a answer then this is settled, i ask this because i know that igbo is not a term in any igbo language
i know that there are sub groups in many ethnicities,but thats not the argument,the argument is what is an igbo and how did the red eboe term came into the existance, i want to know this by getting a answer as to what igbo means in any of what is called today igbo languages!
europeans are known to coin terms on every person they come across, this should not even be surprising! most light skinned igbos are mixed, and this is a fact, europeans did not start raping black women in europe, they even started in africa, amongst what is called today the ndigbo
God, you did not pay attention, that term was coined during slavery in Jamaica probably whites and other slaves as well due to the differences of complexion to certain ibos people from the general slave population during that time. However the coinage of the word was use in Jamaica describing certain ibos person that happen to have fair skin, hence the coinage of the term "red eboe" which describes some ibos in Jamacia that have fairer complexion than the African general population on the island of Jamacia.
bejacopt

Westminster, CA

#85 Apr 15, 2010
UruEuWauWau wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, it doesn't take even this much to read a book. You simply go to Salvador in Brazil & you'll hear all in details, from the first days when Africans were brought on 'black ships' to Brazil to these recent days. Portuguese even called people from W. Sahel region 'Sudanese', although they had nothing to do w/ Sudan.
Actually, the term sudan means "land of the Blacks" Indeed, i am quite aware that the sahel region was call the west sudan by arabs travelers whatnot, however even African scholars in timbuctoo use that term as well to describes themselves, hence all African are actually sudanese or kushitic peoples.
bejacopt

Westminster, CA

#86 Apr 15, 2010
I would like to have a educated ibo opinion about their history. Ibos where are you?
Protean

Eastbourne, UK

#87 Apr 15, 2010
UruEuWauWau wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, you back, bytch wannabe?! lol I see you like me head over heels!! lol I see even you understood @ least 'mama' & 'papa'!! Bwahahaha. Tell me, what else did I say? But don't go again spouting shyat like,'oh, you said a lot of nonsense'!! It'll be too cheap even for a butt-sniffer she wannabe like ya, kiddo. lol
Hey Dude,why do some of you Black Americans lack the basic good manners of a civilised society?
You throw insults around at the drop of a hat,could this be due to the lack of home training?
Once you see the word "bytch" and the atrocious grammar,it's a dead giveaway that this is another uneducated lout raised in the ghetto
Clean up the language Dude,there is no need to communicate in this manner
Wetin do you,you be anumanu,anuofia like you no dey get shame
Now hop it,malaka,ill-mannered louts are soo tedious
bejacopt

Westminster, CA

#88 Apr 15, 2010
Protean wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Dude,why do some of you Black Americans lack the basic good manners of a civilised society?
You throw insults around at the drop of a hat,could this be due to the lack of home training?
Once you see the word "bytch" and the atrocious grammar,it's a dead giveaway that this is another uneducated lout raised in the ghetto
Protean, I cannot believe that i am defending Ibos from your so called fellow nigerians. Since i am defending Ibos, I guess the whole world will turn upside down. lol
UruEuWauWau

San Jose, CA

#89 Apr 15, 2010
Protean wrote:
<quoted text>
Mo gbagbe ki nso fun o lana: dake!!! Ki l'o de ti o n pariwo?! You started ghetto bytch wannabe, I followed!! As simple as that.@ least try to grasp this basic thought & while you're @ it, next time your clueless small black niffy azz tries to pick on someone older like me, I'll press ya deep under the mud!! Got it?! Now 'pooouuunder' well this thought deep into your small empty head. & from now on I wanna hear ya address me strictly in Yoruba!! O dabo omo mi. Igbo oyinbo, bwahaha. lol
Ezi

Farmingdale, NY

#90 Apr 15, 2010
I'm Igbo. This whole thread has become foolishness. Igbos have a vast and complex history. My issue is with this fascination of being "mixed" that I notice in threads involving Africans who have certain facial features that are so-called non-African. At the end of the day, Africa produces the most phenotypic and genetic diversity than any other place in the world. You can see my family members, some of whom are fair-skinned. We DO NOT consider ourself mixed at all. We consider ourselves Igbos. Africans. Africans should start to see themselves as more connected than divided.
UruEuWauWau

San Jose, CA

#91 Apr 15, 2010
bejacopt wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, the term sudan means "land of the Blacks" Indeed, i am quite aware that the sahel region was call the west sudan by arabs travelers whatnot, however even African scholars in timbuctoo use that term as well to describes themselves, hence all African are actually sudanese or kushitic peoples.
It means, but this is not the main reason why. Anyway, learn about Fulani/Peul & you'll see that they're even lighter, on average yet small numbers, than Igbo(e)s. lol Also, you might take a look on Sahel belt & Saharan routes -- the mystery is all there. lol
bejacopt

Westminster, CA

#92 Apr 15, 2010
UruEuWauWau wrote:
<quoted text>
It means, but this is not the main reason why. Anyway, learn about Fulani/Peul & you'll see that they're even lighter, on average yet small numbers, than Igbo(e)s. lol Also, you might take a look on Sahel belt & Saharan routes -- the mystery is all there. lol
However, to be technically honest i could care less about skin hues of different african groups, however what i do care about the future of the african continent in reference in developing our individual contries, and stop allowing outsiders in defining who and what we are.
bejacopt

Westminster, CA

#93 Apr 15, 2010
Ezi wrote:
I'm Igbo. This whole thread has become foolishness. Igbos have a vast and complex history. My issue is with this fascination of being "mixed" that I notice in threads involving Africans who have certain facial features that are so-called non-African. At the end of the day, Africa produces the most phenotypic and genetic diversity than any other place in the world. You can see my family members, some of whom are fair-skinned. We DO NOT consider ourself mixed at all. We consider ourselves Igbos. Africans. Africans should start to see themselves as more connected than divided.
cosign

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blacks Are Biologically Superior To Whites (Sep '12) 9 min PolakPotrafi 258
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min Nuculur option 1,232,877
Why CIA tries to replace "track record" with "... 12 min Labor 1
memorial day is not black people 14 min Sir Jethro 2
Why do Blacks Wear Dreadlocks 18 min Sir Jethro 7
Do white people hate Asian or black people more? 22 min Guest 67
Globalist Trolls infest This Forum 22 min Grim 1
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 1 hr Raada 120,619
34 Murdered in Baltimore Since Freddie Gray Died 1 hr inferiorwhiteman 103
All women prefer white men 1 hr inferiorwhiteman 4,654