Why do African Americans and Jamaican...

Since: Nov 07

Mama Somalia

#71 Mar 31, 2008
BritishBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
why would i lie about living in america, i was born in england to african parents and like nearly all black people who live in england, i have alot of family over there in america, especially in houton texas where i lived. alot of liberians live in america, you should know this too, im sure you must have come across some. also in south afica there is a large white population, yes i been there too, but most still do not intermarry, i was mainly talking about african migrants in europe and america, like here in england africans marry outside their race the least, compared to carribbeans or even asians. the same thing i notice with the africans in america too.
Thats true.. AFRicans stick more to their own kind compared to other Blacks the UK and the US.

US
"It is found that racial endogamy is much stronger for immigrants as compared to natives; it is 4.9 times more likely for immigrants of African descent than for African Americans. Additionally, immigrants of African descent have the highest rates of endogamy of immigrants. Also, African immigrants are much more likely to marry other same-race immigrants and African Americans, than to out-marry racially. Native-born White Americans are also 1.6 times more likely to marry a native-born African American than an immigrant of African descent. Female immigrants of African descent are generally more likely to marry native-born whites than their male counterparts."

UK
"Black British men are significantly more likely to have non-black wives than African American men; 18% of UK black African husbands, 29% of UK black Caribbean husbands, and 48% of other Black British husbands have a wife from a different ethnic group."
http://www.answers.com/topic/interracial-marr...

Since: Nov 07

Mama Somalia

#72 Mar 31, 2008
BritishBoy wrote:
now i think somalis are the group in london who get discriminated against by the rest of black people and mny people regard them as not even being black and discriminate against them, so thats why in places like woolwich you get alot of somali gangs. its a shame really.
Can you elobrate on this alittle more? Why do they discriminate us?

Since: Mar 08

$outh London

#73 Mar 31, 2008
CuShitic_PrinceSs wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you elobrate on this alittle more? Why do they discriminate us?
Its not a case of everybody discriminating against Somali people because that would be stupid. it’s the fact that the Somali boys gang together and start fights with people who are not Somali. My cousin was stabbed by a Somali gang in kidbrooke for the simple fact that he’s from a different area of Lewisham. My cousin isn’t even in a gang but I’m proud of him because he’s 15 he got stabbed in the heart, he stood his ground and he lived. that’s my soldier right there. It depends on where you live and what the community tolerance is. If a gang of people of a certain ethnic group are causing trouble in a particular area soon all of them will get the same reputation and stereotype. Its down to speculation.

“Beau jour mon ami”

Since: Mar 08

IN DA METRO

#74 Mar 31, 2008
Sobek wrote:
<quoted text>
Its not a case of everybody discriminating against Somali people because that would be stupid. it’s the fact that the Somali boys gang together and start fights with people who are not Somali. My cousin was stabbed by a Somali gang in kidbrooke for the simple fact that he’s from a different area of Lewisham. My cousin isn’t even in a gang but I’m proud of him because he’s 15 he got stabbed in the heart, he stood his ground and he lived. that’s my soldier right there. It depends on where you live and what the community tolerance is. If a gang of people of a certain ethnic group are causing trouble in a particular area soon all of them will get the same reputation and stereotype. Its down to speculation.
Do Somalis in the UK respect Whites and Arabs more than they respect other Black people. I don't mean to generalize, but based upon a lot of Somali Warlord's posts, that seems to be the case. However, I'm AA, and my experiences with Somalis here in Atlanta have been very pleasant.

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#75 Mar 31, 2008
Roland J wrote:
<quoted text>
Do Somalis in the UK respect Whites and Arabs more than they respect other Black people. I don't mean to generalize, but based upon a lot of Somali Warlord's posts, that seems to be the case. However, I'm AA, and my experiences with Somalis here in Atlanta have been very pleasant.
As an African I respect white people and do not stereotype nor pidgeon hole them regardless of the fact they treat me like a criminal at Krogers or any other store. Yet a lot of Africans have negatives feelings of AA because there is more violence and hatred shown to them from that demographic of all socioeconmic classes.

The question is WHY so many clashes between the two?

Since: Mar 08

$outh London

#76 Mar 31, 2008
Roland J wrote:
<quoted text>
Do Somalis in the UK respect Whites and Arabs more than they respect other Black people. I don't mean to generalize, but based upon a lot of Somali Warlord's posts, that seems to be the case. However, I'm AA, and my experiences with Somalis here in Atlanta have been very pleasant.
Definitely not. I say Somalis that I know respect their black friends. They tend to hang around with as many Arabs as they do white people, yet they are with more black people most of the time. I cant talk for everyone however, because I was only regarding to my friends and people know. Peoples attitudes change depending on where you live.

“Beau jour mon ami”

Since: Mar 08

IN DA METRO

#77 Mar 31, 2008
Rekik wrote:
<quoted text>
As an African I respect white people and do not stereotype nor pidgeon hole them regardless of the fact they treat me like a criminal at Krogers or any other store. Yet a lot of Africans have negatives feelings of AA because there is more violence and hatred shown to them from that demographic of all socioeconmic classes.
The question is WHY so many clashes between the two?
The relations between the two groups are usually good and both groups are making strides to understand each other more. When Africans make the decision to move to America or move to another location in America, I'm sure Atlanta, GA is one of their top locations. There's plenty of afluent AA neighborhoods in ATL, and when Africans move here, they choose to live around us. Whenever there's a high concentration of AA's, there's also a high concentration of Africans. I've been paying a lot of attention to this lately and I've noticed that they are actually pretty happy to be around us.

“Beau jour mon ami”

Since: Mar 08

IN DA METRO

#78 Mar 31, 2008
Rekik wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet a lot of Africans have negatives feelings of AA because there is more violence and hatred shown to them from that demographic of all socioeconmic classes.
Well violence and hatred isn't just limited to AA's. Generally speaking, Afficans have abrasive personalities and bad attitudes just like AA's do. If some AA's and Africans have had bad experiences with other, they only have their own horrible attitudes to blame. I have met and seen too many Africans and AA's who get along.
somalia chick

Edison, CA

#79 Mar 31, 2008
Sobek wrote:
<quoted text>
Those examples are but a few. I cannot reference what I hear people say and what I see people do. The people who replied to my post may not feel anything towards African and visa versa, but I’m sure that not every human being uses this website and maybe I was wrong to post it here. I did not claim anything about Arab, European and Asian trades with east Africa (please look up Indian ocean trade), nor did I claim anything about the people of east Africa having mixed ancestry. What I said is what I found reading on the Indian trade and not just assumptions. If you want to get more recent, over the last few years a trade has begun called china Africa and Chinese people have migrated to Uganda: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4587374.s...
Regarding my other reference I never said the person was African American once did I? I have no idea how I led you to believe that I have self hate issues… Please elaborate on how you came to that conclusion.
Anyway where do you get of patronizing me? What about my posts was so sickening that you felt the urge to lecture me with an unnecessary reaction, next time I wont give any reasons why I’m asking the question. If a picture is required to justify how I look here it is. I hope your happy.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x239/Sobek...
over here we somalis have a promblm with ethopians and mexicans. the mexicans are rascit towards blacks. the aa and jamicans do get get along expect the ethopians and mexicans. they have been alot of blacks that got kiiled by meicans by gang releted.

“Beau jour mon ami”

Since: Mar 08

IN DA METRO

#80 Mar 31, 2008
Rekik wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet a lot of Africans have negatives feelings of AA because there is more violence and hatred shown to them from that demographic of all socioeconmic classes.
We as AA's are always blamed when tensions arise between a person or a group of people. We're also blamed for the bad economy, we're blamed for high taxes and even when a 12 year old AA girl is killed by a Mexican gang member, we're still blamed for it. If tensions do occur, I know it's not our fault 100 percent of the time. I think some of you guys have to be a little more mature and realize that, and maybe take some responsibility for once.

“Beau jour mon ami”

Since: Mar 08

IN DA METRO

#81 Mar 31, 2008
somalia chick wrote:
<quoted text>
over here we somalis have a promblm with ethopians and mexicans. the mexicans are rascit towards blacks. the aa and jamicans do get get along expect the ethopians and mexicans. they have been alot of blacks that got kiiled by meicans by gang releted.
This is true, thanks for posting this.
somali and proud

Herning, Denmark

#82 Apr 1, 2008
Roland J wrote:
<quoted text>
This is true, thanks for posting this.
she is being frendly to AA's and jamaicans while dicriminating ethiopians and you say she speak the truth....thats just crazy...you only agree becouse she is apeasing your people....pathetic
somali and proud

Herning, Denmark

#83 Apr 1, 2008
somalia chick wrote:
<quoted text>
over here we somalis have a promblm with ethopians and mexicans. the mexicans are rascit towards blacks. the aa and jamicans do get get along expect the ethopians and mexicans. they have been alot of blacks that got kiiled by meicans by gang releted.
dabadhilif nr 1....nin madow maa ciyaal uu dhashay?? waan kaa shakiyay walahi
Blackistan

Elizabeth, NJ

#84 Apr 1, 2008
I am a Black man from CT, USA. I see relations between AA's and Africans in a transition. They want to fashion their own identity and I respect that, eventually we will come together and when we do the country will be ours.
somali and proud

Herning, Denmark

#85 Apr 1, 2008
somalia chick wrote:
<quoted text>
over here we somalis have a promblm with ethopians and mexicans. the mexicans are rascit towards blacks. the aa and jamicans do get get along expect the ethopians and mexicans. they have been alot of blacks that got kiiled by meicans by gang releted.
http://hiiraan.com/news2/2008/Mar/police_hunt...

Since: Dec 07

East London UK

#86 Apr 1, 2008
CuShitic_PrinceSs wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats true.. AFRicans stick more to their own kind compared to other Blacks the UK and the US.
US
"It is found that racial endogamy is much stronger for immigrants as compared to natives; it is 4.9 times more likely for immigrants of African descent than for African Americans. Additionally, immigrants of African descent have the highest rates of endogamy of immigrants. Also, African immigrants are much more likely to marry other same-race immigrants and African Americans, than to out-marry racially. Native-born White Americans are also 1.6 times more likely to marry a native-born African American than an immigrant of African descent. Female immigrants of African descent are generally more likely to marry native-born whites than their male counterparts."
UK
"Black British men are significantly more likely to have non-black wives than African American men; 18% of UK black African husbands, 29% of UK black Caribbean husbands, and 48% of other Black British husbands have a wife from a different ethnic group."
http://www.answers.com/topic/interracial-marr...
wow, i had no idea african women living in america were more likely to marry white men than african men.

Since: Dec 07

East London UK

#87 Apr 1, 2008
oh yeah cush, in the uk they tend to stick to themselves, back in the days i think alot of somali kids use to get discriminated against by mainly west indian kids and now it is by both other af5ricans and west indian kids, not all cases there is tention even i have a somili friend, i think it is mainly the ones living in woolwich. but some somalis do mix with other blacks. it depends on the area. they do have a gang in woolwich which they formed about 12 year ago, i think to protect themselves. im not too sure what they get up to.

Since: Mar 08

London, UK

#88 Apr 1, 2008
Good topic Sobek. Here's d fact: African-Americans,Jamaicans and wot av u? As long as u are black, u are an AFRICAN!!.Period. Yung
Cushitic PrincesS

Odense, Denmark

#89 Apr 1, 2008
Roland J wrote:
<quoted text>
Do Somalis in the UK respect Whites and Arabs more than they respect other Black people. I don't mean to generalize, but based upon a lot of Somali Warlord's posts, that seems to be the case. However, I'm AA, and my experiences with Somalis here in Atlanta have been very pleasant.
It has nothing to do with respect. This is teenage gangs my friend. We respect all Human Being. I've over 30 familymembers overthere and they respect all kind of people. The fact is, Somalis face more discrimin ation from other Blacks than they do from whites and asians in general. By the way there is not a visible arab population in the Uk. Most of the non Whites are Blacks and Asians.
Cushitic PrincesS

Odense, Denmark

#90 Apr 1, 2008
Sobek wrote:
<quoted text>
Its not a case of everybody discriminating against Somali people because that would be stupid. it’s the fact that the Somali boys gang together and start fights with people who are not Somali. My cousin was stabbed by a Somali gang in kidbrooke for the simple fact that he’s from a different area of Lewisham. My cousin isn’t even in a gang but I’m proud of him because he’s 15 he got stabbed in the heart, he stood his ground and he lived. that’s my soldier right there. It depends on where you live and what the community tolerance is. If a gang of people of a certain ethnic group are causing trouble in a particular area soon all of them will get the same reputation and stereotype. Its down to speculation.
'

I am sorry to hear that. I was just asking Britishboy how he sees it.. Sorry about you cousin..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min RoxLo 1,579,305
If it wasn't for whining, blacks have nothing. 2 min Yisraelite Suprem... 13
I have token white friends. 6 min The Kindly Axe 61
True forced Loneliness is what Black men feel 7 min Ben 13
Will people start destroying monuments to Liber... 8 min Kip 13
Dear Mr. Hitler... Come down from heaven, we ne... 17 min Kip 10
What is the definition of a "redbone" or a "yel... (Dec '07) 20 min Rachel 65
News On Twitter, Trump accuses blacks of racism thre... 28 min EMMETT TILL 81
Cavebeasts of Topix 2 hr Harrisson 27
I'm opening up a 'custom' rope store. For all y... 5 hr Yisraelite Suprem... 18
More from around the web