CNN- Topix.com troll sued for harrasment

Posted in the African-American Forum

“aswad rajul min amerika”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#1 Jan 20, 2011
I just heard on CNN that a troll on Topix was posting false information on someone on line using sereal names. The victim lost his job and lost friends over the false information. They sued the troll in court and Topix gave up the information to the authorities who tracked the troll down and the troll lost the court case and has to pay $400,000

“...and I'll axe you back.”

Level 2

Since: Jan 11

Indianapolis

#2 Jan 20, 2011
HOW STRANGE that there seems to be absolutely nothing about this on CNN.com . Do you have a link?

*eye roll*

Location hidden

#3 Jan 20, 2011
AxeMeAnything wrote:
HOW STRANGE that there seems to be absolutely nothing about this on CNN.com . Do you have a link?
*eye roll*
I'm looking for the story online. One ot the female newspaper said this as a story about 4:30 pm est.

Level 2

Indianapolis

#4 Jan 20, 2011
jayrag wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm looking for the story online. One ot the female newspaper said this as a story about 4:30 pm est.
Oh, well that it explains it. My newspaper is male.

Here's the most relevant document I could find:

http://www.cnn.com/search/...

*smile*
Jawga Boy

Gay, GA

#6 Jan 20, 2011
Ahhhhhhhhh, this is better!

http://www.google.com/search...

Next!

Level 2

Indianapolis

#7 Jan 20, 2011

Since: Nov 10

Camden, NJ

#9 Jan 20, 2011
BM are completely worthless. Only trashy women date BM.
TheAnswer

Garland, TX

#10 Jan 20, 2011
Most of that stuff is 2 years old.
Plus if you look through the posts, the registered black users have stated far more inflammatory, derogatory and vile remarks then anyone else.
No law should ever be biased, the correct measure should always be unilateral. A prime example of this is the NAACP screaming racism, yet boxing in a statue of George Washington for a MLK gathering.
Jawga Boy

Gay, GA

#11 Jan 20, 2011
TheAnswer wrote:
Most of that stuff is 2 years old.
Plus if you look through the posts, the registered black users have stated far more inflammatory, derogatory and vile remarks then anyone else.
No law should ever be biased, the correct measure should always be unilateral. A prime example of this is the NAACP screaming racism, yet boxing in a statue of George Washington for a MLK gathering.
Stop trying to use logic when figuring out Negroes, There minds are primitive, and you'll have to approach them as you would a five year old child!

God made em that way.

“Melanin poisoning is like”

appendicitis of the brain

#12 Jan 20, 2011
Cool!
I could use 400 large for a new wheelcair....
...and a van to drive it around in...
ADV

Plainfield, IN

#13 Jan 20, 2011
Choco_latte wrote:
BM are completely worthless. Only trashy women date BM.
Hey,doll.......

Kisses and hugs for YOU.....

Location hidden

#14 Jan 20, 2011
State News 2:43 p.m. Thursday, January 20, 2011
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Small-town gossip is electronic now, reaching far and wide with a speed that is difficult to stop.
Enlarge photoSpecial "People believe that they're acting anonymously on the Internet, and to a certain extent that may be true," said media attorney Peter Canfield. "But people have virtually no privacy on the Internet. When you go online, you leave tracks that can be followed and traced."
Related
Ga. man awarded $404K for libel
.More Atlanta area news »
Gwinnett residents raise familiar concerns at public forum
Church to host graduations
State superintendent offers new math option
Chance of snow late tonight
.“We have got to stop this,” said Blairsville attorney Russell Stookey, who won a $404,000 award for Gene Cooley of Blairsville after a website poster falsely called Cooley a child molester and drug addict.
“We’re not trying to cut down on anybody’s ability to speak freely,” Stookey said.“The type of speech we are trying to curb is you cannot get out there and lie about someone and do character assassination.”
It’s relatively new legal ground in Georgia, though the legal questions surrounding anonymous Internet postings are becoming a bigger issue, experts say. "It's generating litigation all over the country," said Stookey.
But the courts have said information about a poster's identity should only be available if it's for a court case and not just to seek retribution.
Chris Tolles, Topix.com founder and CEO, said he recently got such a subpoena from Georgia, involving the Polk County Sheriff's Office.

Location hidden

#15 Jan 20, 2011
Last October, two former Polk County sheriff’s deputies filed a federal lawsuit after they were fired, in part, for anonymously posting comments on Topix.com . According to the suit, County Sheriff Kelly James McClendon discovered the deputies' true identities using their IP addresses. The county attorney confirmed to an Atlanta TV station that the deputy was fired for "making numerous posts" on Topix.com .
"People believe that they're acting anonymously on the Internet, and to a certain extent that may be true," said media attorney Peter Canfield, who represents The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "But people have virtually no privacy on the Internet. When you go online, you leave tracks that can be followed and traced."
In Texas, a federal judge has already ruled that companies such as Topix.com must surrender IP addresses -- the normally private numeric code that identifies users' computers -- in response to a court subpoena.
In that case, a couple acquitted of sexual assault charges continued to be plagued by Topix.com posters who said the two were murderers and committed other crimes. The couple sued to get the IP addresses for 178 anonymous posters and they used that information to file defamation charges against some of them. The lawsuit is still pendiIn ng.
some places, libel or defamation is a crime, unlike Georgia where it’s a civil matter. Stookey said he is working with Rep. Stephen Allison (R-Blairsville) to draft legislation that would make it a misdemeanor to defame someone on the Internet.
“It’s so pervasive,” Stookey said. I want people to bring suits on this stuff. If we can't get that criminal statute through [the General Assembly], I’ll show them the trick.”
In Colorado, for example, it’s a crime to post on the Internet false information that defames someone with accusations of criminal acts, marital infidelity, dishonesty or having a disease.
The Delaware Supreme Court was the first to rule that subjects of critical Internet postings cannot track IP addresses simply to take retribution. Canfield said that decision is considered the leading case on the topic.
And, Canfield said, the sites are not responsible for the words of the posters.
Tolles said his Palo Alto, Calif., Internet company only provides a platform for discussions of news items and other community matters.
“We’re a blackboard. We are not responsible for anything anyone says,” Tolles said.“I defend their right to take dumb stuff and put it on the Internet. The Internet provides a ... tool to attack power.”
He said the site only removes postings that defame. Personal criticism, no matter how heated, is fine.
‘Things that bother people should not necessarily be illegal,” said Tolles, whose company gets about 10 subpoenas a week for information similar to IP addresses.“The law is really clear. It’s you who is responsible for what you say. It’s not Facebook. It’s not Myspace. It’s not Topix.”

Location hidden

#16 Jan 20, 2011
I believe this is the story that CNN was refering too. This story was in the Atlanta journal constitution and you know CNN is based in Atlanta.

Since: Nov 10

Camden, NJ

#17 Jan 20, 2011
ADV wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey,doll.......
Kisses and hugs for YOU.....
You so sweet.

XOXOXOXOXOXO

“Melanin poisoning is like”

appendicitis of the brain

#18 Jan 23, 2011
I think there's a difference between calling someone who was aquitted a murderer,
....and linking to aids and prison stats...lol.

Although, I'm seriously thinking of suing doobie the dumbfk for all the wheelchair and "gay" remarks.......

Level 1

Since: Mar 08

Knoxville, TN

#19 Jan 23, 2011
AxeMeAnything wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, well that it explains it. My newspaper is male.
Here's the most relevant document I could find:
http://www.cnn.com/search/...
*smile*
hehehehe i guess i can rest easily in the knowledge that this is alarmist bell ringing and i can go on making fun of idiots at will, huh?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min THE DEVIL 1,233,542
Is this song about IR anybody think? 4 min Eno Otu 6
Poll Why are blacks so much stronger, physically bet... (May '12) 7 min Stupid Thread 559
White Women Hate White Men. White Women Belong ... (Apr '14) 9 min Round the World 42
Are Latinas considered White by AA Men? 9 min Ingwe Temujin 4
Why do good looking black women like white men ... (Sep '12) 9 min Beautiful Creole 6,837
Baltimore's deadliest month in 15 years: May co... 11 min Ingwe Temujin 31
Blacks Are Biologically Superior To Whites (Sep '12) 15 min PolakPotrafi 304
Van Sertima debunked! Afronazis Drowning in Tears! 19 min UruEuWauWauTHEphagg 454
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 24 min Undisputed Facts 120,836
why do white people hate other races so much 2 hr Don Barros Serrano 432
More from around the web