Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on ...

Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches

There are 9647 comments on the The Skanner story from Mar 1, 2012, titled Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches. In it, The Skanner reports that:

With Maryland poised to legalize gay marriage, some conservative opponents and religious leaders are counting on members of their congregations, especially in black churches, to upend the legislation at the polls this fall.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Skanner.

“You wish you were here!!”

Level 1

Since: May 09

The OC

#9550 Dec 31, 2012
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe ANY school is teaching about sexuality or sexual morality as you claim.........and looking at your link doesn't show that either!!!
You see what you want to see.

Why else would they be presenting "King and King" to kindergartners? Random entertainment? They are trying to get these little ones to see gay relationships as normal and amoral.

Just because you agree with their goal doesn't change their intentions.

Now please spare me the diatribe on how I want to shield my kids or teach then to hate you. I have already explained I do nothing of the sort.

I wish to teach my kids about sexuality and loving others from my perspective and that of my chosen religion.

And let me make this clear. I want to teach my kids to love and even protect gays because they are human beings, Jesus loves and died for them, we are no better, etc. That is my right and what Christianity REALLY teaches. The schools and your friends want to teach my kids to love gays because homosexuality is amoral.

The school is not trying to teach or manage the child's behavior (zero tolerance for bullying) but the personal morality for the behavior.

Its wrong. And its not education at all.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Level 9

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#9551 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
I have been clear and consistent on these points:
1) Public schools have developed and are implementing curriculum aimed at teaching a particular view of sexuality to our youngest of children.
2) A main goal of this teaching is for the homosexual community to enjoy greater public acceptance in future generations.
3) When presented the facts at first gays deny it exists. However - once this truth has been proven - virtually all gays and their supporters change their tune and agree with this teaching and its goals.
4) By walking you folks through this exercise I have proven your true intolerance and lack of respect for the rights of other families. What you are ultimately after is full public acceptance of your sexuality and you will attain it by any means necessary.
Again....IT WON'T be sexuality to Kindergartners.....and it won't be sexual morality period.....I don't care what you want to let your mind believe.......and if what you claim was going to happen.....don't you think someone would have sued the Department of Education already?

You have PROVEN nothing but what you want to have proven.......I mean Parker from Massachusetts tried to make a big issue over the book King and King......he lost and what you are upset about is the same thing......you are upset just because Gays and Lesbians will be discussed like any other culture group has been discussed.......frankly, I don't see an issue, but I don't care if Picasso was Gay or not, his art is what was amazing.......so, I see the issue of one's sexual orientation as irrelevant to the person's contributions......frankly, I'd like History to include more contributions from women than about their sexual orientation......but that's just because I believe it is important to little girls to know that they can be anything they want instead of just the typical jobs surrounded by nurturing!!!

Level 1

The OC

#9552 Dec 31, 2012
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me ask you a question......how many bible scholars do you believe hold a Doctorate Degree in Theological Studies? How many do you think can read the original languages of the bible? Now, how many of them would and do disagree with your Pastor?
Hence just because one can do those things, doesn't mean they're interpretation is the correct one.....just that it is the one they opt to believe because it goes along with their belief in general about homosexuality.
Here's another one.......how many Commandments were given to the Jews regarding what they should do, eat, wear, sexual practices and other aspects of their lives? There were 613 Commandments given to them......how many do you think MIGHT have concerned the possibility of "GAY" sex? There was only one and it's questionable that it applies to just "GAY" men!!!
Here are the 613 Mitzvot Commandments:
http://www.jewfaq.org/613.htm
Countless thousands. Literacy in the original languages of the Bible is not an obscure skill. I actually work for one of the largest teaching churches in the world (in a lay person's role...I am no pastor). I know first hand these people DO NOT hate gays and would be thrilled if the Bible said what gays wish it did. They are loving people who sacrifice greatly to love on and serve others.

It really does say what it appears to say. There is no sane argument against it.

Now there are those who argue that the Bible is not what some of us think it is. They say its not the infallible "Word of God". Or they say its a good book that is mostly true but doesn't fully apply as strictly as some would say it does. Of course, there are those who believe its just a bad history book!

They all have valid arguments. But the "it doesn't really say that" argument is absurd. Too many of us can read.

Level 9

#9553 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
Its wrong. And its not education at all.
Well, then take your kids out of public schools and home school them under your religious beliefs.....there issue solved......Glad I could help!!!

You don't care what I truly believe......just that I'm a Lesbian and that this is MY PERSONAL agenda......so, it is your option to HOME SCHOOL.....this way you can ensure that your kids ONLY learn or get brainwashed as you want them to!!!

I know one thing.....before my grandchild entered Kindergarten, they understood that they could grow up and marry anyone they wanted to and who wanted to marry them........upon coming home from their first week in school......all of a sudden, they thought that they had to marry someone of the opposite-sex because that is what their teacher told them......so, we have taken a very unique position on this issue.......we let our grandchild know that whomever they grow-up to be.......or who they marry we will love them no matter what and we know that we don't have to worry about them learning whatever because if they have questions, they know we will answer them!!!

Level 9

#9554 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Countless thousands. Literacy in the original languages of the Bible is not an obscure skill. I actually work for one of the largest teaching churches in the world (in a lay person's role...I am no pastor). I know first hand these people DO NOT hate gays and would be thrilled if the Bible said what gays wish it did. They are loving people who sacrifice greatly to love on and serve others.
It really does say what it appears to say. There is no sane argument against it.
Now there are those who argue that the Bible is not what some of us think it is. They say its not the infallible "Word of God". Or they say its a good book that is mostly true but doesn't fully apply as strictly as some would say it does. Of course, there are those who believe its just a bad history book!
They all have valid arguments. But the "it doesn't really say that" argument is absurd. Too many of us can read.
Again......that's my whole point.....IT DOESN'T SAY WHAT YOU BELIEVE IT DOES......and many Pastors, Ministers, Preachers and other Clergy tend to have various thoughts and opinions as to why that is......one is not right or wrong, just that they see those scriptures differently, but trying to get a person like you to see other angles on the scriptures is truly a waste of my time.

Sorry to try and engage your limited intelligence on the subject!!!

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Level 1

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#9555 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well we are just going to have to agree to disagree there Jeff.
But can you explain why they need to "present the facts" each year about gay relationships to children as young as kindergarten with a targeted curriculum?
Yes. I have done this before. But to repeat: There are gay and lesbian youth in the school. Straight children in the school have gay and lesbian family members. You wish to avoid acknowledging their very humanity.

We all remember what it feels like to think that there is no one else in the world like you. This is something you can't feel yourself, but you could try to understand it. But you don't. Fine. We will work to make sure other gay and lesbian children don't feel the same sense of isolation and ostracism.
Why do they need to present these facts? Simply to "educate" about the world? Why so young? Social studies doesn't start for years.
Come on Jeff. You are a smart guy and I know you see the goal here. It is to help these little ones accept homosexuals in our society.
Denying something so obvious just makes you appear disingenuous.
I believe that well-informed people are far less likely to act out of destructive fear and prejudice. I have stated before that the only way you can instill your dislike of homosexuals in your children is to prevent them from hearing any other points of view. You do have many tools at your disposal to perpetuate your prejudice, but current surveys make it clear that prejudice is failing.

We don't need to promote homosexuality as a "good" thing. It is neither good nor bad, just like left- or right-handedness. We merely need to teach the facts.

Obviously, that scares your cowardly prejudice little heart. Too bad.

Level 1

The OC

#9556 Dec 31, 2012
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Again....IT WON'T be sexuality to Kindergartners.....and it won't be sexual morality period.....I don't care what you want to let your mind believe.......and if what you claim was going to happen.....don't you think someone would have sued the Department of Education already?
You have PROVEN nothing but what you want to have proven.......I mean Parker from Massachusetts tried to make a big issue over the book King and King......he lost and what you are upset about is the same thing......you are upset just because Gays and Lesbians will be discussed like any other culture group has been discussed.......frankly, I don't see an issue, but I don't care if Picasso was Gay or not, his art is what was amazing.......so, I see the issue of one's sexual orientation as irrelevant to the person's contributions......frankly, I'd like History to include more contributions from women than about their sexual orientation......but that's just because I believe it is important to little girls to know that they can be anything they want instead of just the typical jobs surrounded by nurturing!!!
Actually there have been lawsuits. The curriculum I link to is from San Francisco. That is a particularly gay friendly school district and that is where all this has been put together. Not much opposition there.

But when they tried to teach this across the bay in Alameda it sure spawned a lawsuit.

http://www.wnd.com/2009/08/106819/

Notice how the parents were not allowed to opt out?

Remember when Prop 8 was on the ballot? The Teachers union gave a cool million to defeat it. Then when commercials came out showing how gay marriage could affect public education the Superintendent of Public Instruction came out in a commercial for the anti-Prop 8 folks.

So...why are CA teachers and the Superintendent coming out in support of gay marriage? Hmmm....

What is happening is clear:

1) The education establishment in CA wants to teach pro-gay curriculum to the youngest of our children (often under the guise of "anti-bullying measures that we all support).

2) Parental notification and opting out is denied whenever possible violating CA law.

Come on NorCal...just because you agree with their agenda doesn't mean it isn't there. How much clearer can it be?

Level 1

The OC

#9557 Dec 31, 2012
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, then take your kids out of public schools and home school them under your religious beliefs.....there issue solved......Glad I could help!!!
You don't care what I truly believe......just that I'm a Lesbian and that this is MY PERSONAL agenda......so, it is your option to HOME SCHOOL.....this way you can ensure that your kids ONLY learn or get brainwashed as you want them to!!!
Remember when I posted this:
==========

1) Public schools have developed and are implementing curriculum aimed at teaching a particular view of sexuality to our youngest of children.

2) A main goal of this teaching is for the homosexual community to enjoy greater public acceptance in future generations.

3) When presented the facts at first gays deny it exists. However - once this truth has been proven - virtually all gays and their supporters change their tune and agree with this teaching and its goals.

4) By walking you folks through this exercise I have proven your true intolerance and lack of respect for the rights of other families. What you are ultimately after is full public acceptance of your sexuality and you will attain it by any means necessary.
==========

Congratulations! You just graduated to number four!

Why is it when kids are taught your ideas its just great but when I have the audacity to want to teach my own kids my views on sexual morality its brainwashing?

Level 1

The OC

#9558 Dec 31, 2012
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Again......that's my whole point.....IT DOESN'T SAY WHAT YOU BELIEVE IT DOES......and many Pastors, Ministers, Preachers and other Clergy tend to have various thoughts and opinions as to why that is......one is not right or wrong, just that they see those scriptures differently, but trying to get a person like you to see other angles on the scriptures is truly a waste of my time.
Sure it does. Did you catch the part I wrote about working for one of the largest teaching churches in the world?

And its not "many" pastors, ministers that believe what you say. Its a handful who are mostly active in gay rights issues.

There is no conspiracy against gays from the Christian community to suppress the truth of what the Bible says in the original languages. That is absurd nonsense.

Level 1

The OC

#9559 Dec 31, 2012
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. I have done this before. But to repeat: There are gay and lesbian youth in the school. Straight children in the school have gay and lesbian family members. You wish to avoid acknowledging their very humanity.
We all remember what it feels like to think that there is no one else in the world like you. This is something you can't feel yourself, but you could try to understand it. But you don't. Fine. We will work to make sure other gay and lesbian children don't feel the same sense of isolation and ostracism.
<quoted text>
I believe that well-informed people are far less likely to act out of destructive fear and prejudice. I have stated before that the only way you can instill your dislike of homosexuals in your children is to prevent them from hearing any other points of view. You do have many tools at your disposal to perpetuate your prejudice, but current surveys make it clear that prejudice is failing.
We don't need to promote homosexuality as a "good" thing. It is neither good nor bad, just like left- or right-handedness. We merely need to teach the facts.
Obviously, that scares your cowardly prejudice little heart. Too bad.
Again, more extreme either/or thinking. We either teach kindergartners homosexual acceptance or we are denying the "very humanity" of those kids who may develop same-sex attraction.

We don't need to teach these "facts" to kindergartners and the goal isn't simply to educate. Its to promote greater acceptance of the gay community in future generations.

And if parents like myself disagree...well you guys will just need to save my kids from my "ignorance".

Level 9

#9560 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
This source shows exactly where I believe you are:

Level 9

#9561 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure it does. Did you catch the part I wrote about working for one of the largest teaching churches in the world?
And its not "many" pastors, ministers that believe what you say. Its a handful who are mostly active in gay rights issues.
There is no conspiracy against gays from the Christian community to suppress the truth of what the Bible says in the original languages. That is absurd nonsense.

Level 9

#9562 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:

“Equality for ALL”

Level 2

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#9563 Dec 31, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
There is no ban on same sex marriage ANYWHERE in the USA.
Then please go to the city/town/county clerk's office that handles marriages in any of the states NOT listed (Connecticut, District of Columbia, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont and Washington) and attempt to become civilly married to a same-sex spouse. Please divorce your current spouse to make this possible (bigamy IS against the law, you acknowledge this). Let us know how you make out with this endeavor.

“Equality for ALL”

Level 2

Massachusetts

#9564 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
No, I am for educating children about gay history through social studies. Its an important part of understanding our world and culture. I am also against any form of "gay censoring" or discriminating against gay teachers. My son has gay teachers right now. They are great. And yes, it should be perfectly fine for these teachers to discuss their family arrangements, put up pictures of their partners or spouses, etc. That is what "tolerance" is. It is respecting the fact that we may see things differently but can live side by side without interfering in each other's lives and our separate beliefs.
This school's program is aimed at PERSUADING other people's kids to a particular point of view about the issue. It is a thought out, coordinated effort as such a thing. That is not tolerance at all. In fact, its intolerance.
As far as home schooling...thanks but no thanks. I pay taxes too and we all must live in a society that we share. I simply ask that my beliefs not be discriminated against and my life not be interfered with. The school can stay out of this issue and leave it up to our families and communities.
And please don't invoke "Brown". There are no equivalencies here.
Well gays and lesbians have been paying taxes (too much to educate YOUR and others kids) and as we increasingly have kids of our own and seek to help those LGBT kids coming through the schools today WE demand that we not be marginalized by those (you) who seek to control what is taught to OUR kids in OUR public schools. Don't like it, get yourself elected to the local school board or send your kid to a school that will teach them according to your standards.

Gay Rights ARE Civil Rights.

Gay Rights ARE Human Rights.

So when SCOTUS references their Loving decision next spring when they rule in our favor don't be surprised.

Level 1

The OC

#9565 Dec 31, 2012
DaveinMass wrote:
<quoted text>
Well gays and lesbians have been paying taxes (too much to educate YOUR and others kids) and as we increasingly have kids of our own and seek to help those LGBT kids coming through the schools today WE demand that we not be marginalized by those (you) who seek to control what is taught to OUR kids in OUR public schools. Don't like it, get yourself elected to the local school board or send your kid to a school that will teach them according to your standards.
Gay Rights ARE Civil Rights.
Gay Rights ARE Human Rights.
So when SCOTUS references their Loving decision next spring when they rule in our favor don't be surprised.
So "not being marginalized" equals teaching the kids coming from the other 99.3% of non-gay households your ideas about sexuality?

I don't think so.

Come on now. Be honest. You like the idea of teaching other people's kids what you believe about homosexuality. You know that is the best way to change public opinion so you support it. You don't care about the rights of other families as long as you get what you want.

Just admit it. It will feel good.

If the schools were teaching negative things about gays I would be against it. That is the difference between you and I. I will support you on what's fair and right. I respect your opinion and your right to raise your family as you see fit. You just think I am wrong and my children need to be saved from my ignorance.

“Equality for ALL”

Level 2

Massachusetts

#9566 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
So "not being marginalized" equals teaching the kids coming from the other 99.3% of non-gay households your ideas about sexuality?
I don't think so.
Come on now. Be honest. You like the idea of teaching other people's kids what you believe about homosexuality. You know that is the best way to change public opinion so you support it. You don't care about the rights of other families as long as you get what you want.
Just admit it. It will feel good.
If the schools were teaching negative things about gays I would be against it. That is the difference between you and I. I will support you on what's fair and right. I respect your opinion and your right to raise your family as you see fit. You just think I am wrong and my children need to be saved from my ignorance.
We obviously have very different ideas of what constitutes a well rounded public school education that will help all children succeed in today's world.

You favor restrictions of what can be taught resulting in ignorance. I do not.

Level 1

The OC

#9567 Dec 31, 2012
DaveinMass wrote:
<quoted text>
We obviously have very different ideas of what constitutes a well rounded public school education that will help all children succeed in today's world.
You favor restrictions of what can be taught resulting in ignorance. I do not.
Come on Dave. We both know that curriculum is designed to get those kids to adopt more favorable views of gays. Just admit it. You can do it Dave! It will feel good. The truth will set you free!

I don't call that "education" at all. There is an entirely different term for what that is.

Level 1

The OC

#9568 Dec 31, 2012
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Resorting to cheap insults is a sign of surrender. I don't mind a good insult but they need to be a bit more pithy if you don't mind.

Level 9

#9569 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Resorting to cheap insults is a sign of surrender. I don't mind a good insult but they need to be a bit more pithy if you don't mind.
No, just not gonna go back and forth on this issue with you when I have tried to explain my position and you keep accusing me of being in favor of something........and as for your religious beliefs......we aren't going to agree and it's not worth going back and forth over......so, Peace to you and yours......Have a wonderful Happy New year!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Julia 1,655,613
the wheel never invented in Sub Saharan Africa (Jun '16) 1 min el rey de los cam... 215
Blacks. Stop trying to steal people's history. 1 min THX Whip Cracker 8
Robert E. Lee was no worse than founding fathers 6 min el rey de los cam... 10
You can thank Obama: Slave auctions uncovered i... 11 min el rey de los cam... 20
Why don't black people just brag about Nubia? 14 min WitoldPilecki 143
Whatever happened to Cigar face and Coretta Joe... 15 min Master Ttt 6
Why is the media pushing interracial relationsh... (Sep '14) 37 min el rey de los cam... 891
News Racism and Nationalism Were Central to the Elec... 4 hr Cant Escape DESTINY 131
Somebody explain the Volvo car commercial to me 10 hr Fuch66 100
More from around the web