Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on ...

Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches

There are 9653 comments on the The Skanner story from Mar 1, 2012, titled Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches. In it, The Skanner reports that:

With Maryland poised to legalize gay marriage, some conservative opponents and religious leaders are counting on members of their congregations, especially in black churches, to upend the legislation at the polls this fall.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Skanner.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#6707 Sep 19, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Your father and step mother gave you something no same sex couple could have given; a mother and father.
For the last time even if I was raised in a Same Sex household I'd still have a mother and father.

I wasn't conceived by immaculate conception, but thanks for the compliment.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Born in Newark Ohio

#6708 Sep 19, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I believe in gender diverse marriage with the perfect affirmative action ratio of male/female. Gender segregation marriage would harm society.
ooooo sounds like someone is planning a life as a politician!

But take my advice. Drop out of Sarah Palin College and study reality.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Born in Newark Ohio

#6709 Sep 19, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Marriage provides a sanctioned bed for sexual relations and a stable home for the children of that union.
Whch is why banning Same Sex marriage is harmful to society.

Thanks Brian for proving my point and destroying your own.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Born in Newark Ohio

#6710 Sep 19, 2012
dances with weebles wrote:
<quoted text>
what your entire copy and paste scree neglects to say, of course, is that procreation is the easiest thing, and the most ill advised thing that anyone could possibly do in this day and age. any fool can make a baby... it's no great achievement.
And anyone who's ever seen daytime TV like Maury Povich etc can tell you making a baby is no guarantee that "traditional marriage" will be the end result.

I keep asking Brian and all the rest who make marriage all about making babies why infertile couples are allowed to marry.

They never answer.

Wonder why.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Born in Newark Ohio

#6711 Sep 19, 2012
jenny623 wrote:
You do know that gays have been marrying women for centuries. That charade has always gone on. Then there's the men who suddenly realize they were a woman all along, get a sex change, while still married to a women. Now the kids have two mommies. I don't find sexual orientation or preference the same as civil rights. Gays do not suffer like blacks who were barred from restaurants, stores, and could only have menial jobs. Most people don't even know someone is gay unless they make a lot noise which is happening a lot lately.
<quoted text>
Someone once said gay is the new black. Someone else said, no we're the old black. The New Blacks have laws that protect their civil rights.

You don't seem to know much about what gays and lesbians faced throughout history. We were just as despised, murdered, raped, beaten, fired and marginalized as any other minority group. We've been forced into slavery, lynched and had laws passed that made it very easy for people to kill us and face little consequences.

Same as blacks.

Get some education and loose some of your youthful and ignorant arrogance.

Level 5

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

#6712 Sep 19, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Someone once said gay is the new black. Someone else said, no we're the old black. The New Blacks have laws that protect their civil rights.
You don't seem to know much about what gays and lesbians faced throughout history. We were just as despised, murdered, raped, beaten, fired and marginalized as any other minority group. We've been forced into slavery, lynched and had laws passed that made it very easy for people to kill us and face little consequences.
Same as blacks.
When I was growing up, my dad used the treatment of gay men by the LAPD as an example of bigotry and discrimination. He said the gay men went to West Hollywood to get away from the harassment.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#6713 Sep 19, 2012
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! How does gay marriage effect the "sanctity" of the bond between a man and a woman? Do "gay rays" emanate from gay married couples, turning all straight couples into infidels?
<quoted text>
Well, nothing proves an argument like using the caps lock key.
<quoted text>
Actually, it's a simple equal rights issue.
A man has the right to marry a woman, a woman should have that same right.
A woman has the right to marry a man, a man should have that same right.
Why are you against equal rights?
That's very unAmerican of you.
<quoted text>
Many mammals have same sex sex.
http://youtu.be/sTXabN1pnZY
1. I think if we are talking about the sacredness of marriage based on the bond between a man and a woman (Which is the premise of my earlier post) then you have answered your own question. By the absence of both sexes in this ritual you have tainted and distorted the ritual. There is no longer something special to be cherished between both a man and a woman. In fact it completely contradicts the sacredness of a man-woman union. By two women marrying it says a man is not required, and the same goes for two men.

2. Well nothing like a rebuttal that points out ONE word being emphasized (...since HTML italicizing can't be used) to debunk a very valid point.

3. Your rights are not being trampled on no more than a man who desires to marry a family member. You may have a right but to what end should a civilized society allow such unions to take place? Where do we draw the line?

4. You said "sex", I said "reproduce". Do you notice the difference in our comments?

Location hidden

#6714 Sep 19, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
How is the marriage of a man and woman truly being affected by my marriage to another woman?
Marriage has NOTHING to do with the ability to procreate.....this seems to be something that most just can't grasp and I'm not sure why!!!
Heterosexual couples WILL continue to populate the planet, allowing or not allowing Gay and Lesbian couples the right to marry WON'T change that.
Gays and Lesbians will also CONTINUE to populate the planet.........just not the same way!!!
You are not required to accept or approve of who I am or who I want to marry or who I am married to.......I don't need to ask your permission, nor do you need my permission to marry the PERSON of your choosing!!!
I answered your first question in the post above.

The question of how procreation and marriage unified in my words is simple. Animals procreate. What makes us better than animals is we "attempted" to make our act of mating civilized through marriage.

There's your answer.(although my original post explains itself.)

“Africa”

Level 7

Since: Jan 12

Oakland

#6715 Sep 19, 2012
Eriq Barrington wrote:
Look I was fine when gays were saying they are living the life style that they choose and I understand every person has a right to live how they please (Within reason of course) as long as it doesn't negatively impact those around them.
But as the old adage goes, give them an inch... they take a mile. And here we are. Yesterday it was just leave us be and we'll leave you be. Now we all have to pledge to support this lie that it's not by choice that you are gay but we also must destroy the sanctity of a bond between a man and a woman.
Marriage between a man and a woman was SUPPOSED to be the standard by which we all aspired to.
Marriage stood as a reminder that WE man and woman need each other. Now the rules have changed. Those in academia, and those from wealthy back grounds have bonded together to once again flaunt and flex their social power in the faces of the world.
This time it's to teach people that you can be born with a genetic disposition which prevents you from liking someone of the opposite sex. And this is the bases of why we MUST let gays marry each other.
It's woven into their genetics... This lie, is no different than the one that says blacks are genetically stronger, or whites are genetically smarter.
It's about arrogance. It's proving a certain sect of the human race can force the world to adopt their belief whether imagined or real.
Stating the obvious about mammals, "nature designed male and female to need each other in order to reproduce and populate the earth."
Now what? Is this supposed to be the next step in evolution?
This isn't evolution; it's cultural genocide.

I was never with that gay stuff...ever. The fools who go around saying 'nothing wrong wit it' don't know anything about African culture. West Africans were never into that homo gargbage, and neither were diasporans, untile Europeans came along with their debauchery, and just like with weaves, tattoos, and piercings, stupid Blacks decided to join that bandwagon too.

Start by not tolerating it. Only then will you see that crap fade away.

“WAY TO GO”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#6716 Sep 19, 2012
Eriq Barrington wrote:
<quoted text>
I answered your first question in the post above.
The question of how procreation and marriage unified in my words is simple. Animals procreate. What makes us better than animals is we "attempted" to make our act of mating civilized through marriage.
There's your answer.(although my original post explains itself.)
Actually, you've not answered ANYTHING......just gave more of your opinion and nothing else.

We all know how people procreate and we all know that it can take place regardless of whether the couple is married or not.

We also allow couples to marry who can't have children for whatever reason.......so, again marriage is not about procreation......as we have been told numerous times, a heterosexual couple is allowed their privacy with regards to their reproductive organs......and this MUST apply to Gay and Lesbian couples as well.

Now, you are entitled to your opinion, but that's not gonna change the fact that I am legally married to my wife, that other Gay and Lesbian couples are getting married, that Section 3 of DOMA is UNCONSTITUTIONAL and will probably be tossed by next year or the fact that the right to marry for Gays and Lesbians will probably be returning to California by October of this year!

Peace!!!

Location hidden

#6717 Sep 19, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, you've not answered ANYTHING......just gave more of your opinion and nothing else.
We all know how people procreate and we all know that it can take place regardless of whether the couple is married or not.
We also allow couples to marry who can't have children for whatever reason.......so, again marriage is not about procreation......as we have been told numerous times, a heterosexual couple is allowed their privacy with regards to their reproductive organs......and this MUST apply to Gay and Lesbian couples as well.
Now, you are entitled to your opinion, but that's not gonna change the fact that I am legally married to my wife, that other Gay and Lesbian couples are getting married, that Section 3 of DOMA is UNCONSTITUTIONAL and will probably be tossed by next year or the fact that the right to marry for Gays and Lesbians will probably be returning to California by October of this year!
Peace!!!
Correct. It is unlikely that anyone can stop the current progression towards pro-homosexual lifestyles. As you stated I (like you) stated my opinions. I'm not full of hate so I can live with the fact that I don't have control over the direction of our societies moral make up. However, I can maintain my opinion which I have done respectfully.

Lastly...I wrote this, "What makes us better than animals is we "attempted" to make our act of mating civilized through marriage."

It's my fault for blurring the lines between the procreation and mating (sex). I realize I began by responding directly to your question but I ended by veering off a bit. Sex was made morally right by marriage. That's not an opinion. My statement to you was based on the notion that we (as a society) ultimately want to procreate civilly. And although some may not be able to have children the act of making love was expected to be done within the confines of a union between a "man and a woman". Marriage provides us with that opportunity.
Although test tubes and other methods are replacing the sanctity of man woman unions.

Good night.

“WAY TO GO”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#6718 Sep 20, 2012
Eriq Barrington wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct. It is unlikely that anyone can stop the current progression towards pro-homosexual lifestyles. As you stated I (like you) stated my opinions. I'm not full of hate so I can live with the fact that I don't have control over the direction of our societies moral make up. However, I can maintain my opinion which I have done respectfully.
Lastly...I wrote this, "What makes us better than animals is we "attempted" to make our act of mating civilized through marriage."
It's my fault for blurring the lines between the procreation and mating (sex). I realize I began by responding directly to your question but I ended by veering off a bit. Sex was made morally right by marriage. That's not an opinion. My statement to you was based on the notion that we (as a society) ultimately want to procreate civilly. And although some may not be able to have children the act of making love was expected to be done within the confines of a union between a "man and a woman". Marriage provides us with that opportunity.
Although test tubes and other methods are replacing the sanctity of man woman unions.
Good night.
I've not been disrespectful towards you......truly no point in it.

There is no more a "HOMOSEXUAL" lifestyle as there is a "HETEROSEXUAL" lifestyle.......a lifestyle has to do with the foods you like to eat, the clothes you wear, the music you listen to, what or if any sports you enjoy, whether or not you like politics or not......those things that have to do with our attitudes, likes and dislikes are part of our lifestyles......not who we are as a person or who we are attracted to.

Again, you have NO IDEA what my moral values are.....but I have traditional values probably just like you do.......I believe in treating others as I want to be treated, sometimes that doesn't always work in these threads or in real life, but it's what I strive for!!!

We "attempted" to make our act of mating civilized through marriage." Really? I have no desire to "MATE" with the opposite-sex and it doesn't require a couple to marry before mating!!!

Sex hasn't been morally right since the 60's and what people do in the privacy of their home is not my business nor yours.

You may wish to live in a fairy tale world where people marry first before having sex, but that RARELY happens in today's society and though we would hope and like for our children to wait until marriage to have sex.........that is just unrealistic thinking. Personally, I'd love my grandchild to wait until getting married, but more importantly, I'd hope that they would come to me and ask me about proper precautions to prevent STD's or other nasty things!!!

The act of making love has not been confined to just between a man and a woman for a very long time and especially not just confined to being married.......and again, what consenting adults do is not my business.

Modern medicine is there to help any couple have a baby, even couples you may not want to have children.

Level 1

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#6720 Sep 20, 2012
Not the same. Sexual orientation vs skin color discrimination. That's why no one is buying that argument. I can understand the federal discrimination in places of military, or government. Other than that, I fail to see how this compares to what Blacks went through. It's an insult to what Blacks fought for.
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Someone once said gay is the new black. Someone else said, no we're the old black. The New Blacks have laws that protect their civil rights.
Same as blacks.
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#6721 Sep 20, 2012
dances with weebles wrote:
<quoted text>
what your entire copy and paste scree neglects to say, of course, is that procreation is the easiest thing, and the most ill advised thing that anyone could possibly do in this day and age. any fool can make a baby... it's no great achievement.
guess who procreation is not easy for?
yup. gays.

a rational distinction from straights...
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#6722 Sep 20, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Skinner proves that fundamental rights are important

really, that's the holding of Skinner?
that fundamental rights are IMPORTANT?

what right do you think was being discussed as fundamental in this STERILIZATION cased?

interesting marriage was even introduced as an issue ISN'T IT?

interesting that the quote you think means marriage is fundamental is from this case...one about forced sterilization...isn't it?

sure does seem to deflate that marriage and procreation have not been linked for 80 years doesn't it?

knowledge is power dude...
that is "important". hee hee..
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#6723 Sep 20, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>
This may come as a shock to you but Federal Law ALLOWS SSM.

So don't blame me when you're wrong.
Can anyone help this fool?
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#6724 Sep 20, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you are claiming only gays can be stable before the couple has a child and straights can't?
Its a simple statement of fact. Straights can have children BY ACCIDENT, and gay couples NEVER CAN...or do you dispute this little sliver of reality?

So since a gay couple always CHOOSES to have a child, they can wait and CHOOSE at the right time...straight couples do not always have that luxury...

so how about you save your faux outrage until you grasp what is being said?
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#6725 Sep 20, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>
Her marriage is not an analogy. It's a FACT!
S
My marriage is accepted in all 50 states and hers is not. THAT IS A FACT.

What is the problem with CU's again?
Oh yeah,not equal since they are not recognized in all states...

so if Cu's are unequal for this same reason, the marriage is NOT EQUAL?

see how that works?
I can live married in NJ, RNL cannot...get it?
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#6726 Sep 20, 2012
DNF wrote:
Same as blacks.
and then you bring up polygamy and they call it a RED HERRING...

so a marriage right currently denied is not relevant, but racial civil rights is a direct analogy?

I know why you play this way....

Level 1

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#6727 Sep 20, 2012
Eriq Barrington wrote:
Look I was fine when gays were saying they are living the life style that they choose and I understand every person has a right to live how they please (Within reason of course) as long as it doesn't negatively impact those around them.
But as the old adage goes, give them an inch... they take a mile. And here we are. Yesterday it was just leave us be and we'll leave you be. Now we all have to pledge to support this lie that it's not by choice that you are gay but we also must destroy the sanctity of a bond between a man and a woman.
Marriage between a man and a woman was SUPPOSED to be the standard by which we all aspired to.
Marriage stood as a reminder that WE man and woman need each other. Now the rules have changed. Those in academia, and those from wealthy back grounds have bonded together to once again flaunt and flex their social power in the faces of the world.
This time it's to teach people that you can be born with a genetic disposition which prevents you from liking someone of the opposite sex. And this is the bases of why we MUST let gays marry each other.
It's woven into their genetics... This lie, is no different than the one that says blacks are genetically stronger, or whites are genetically smarter.
It's about arrogance. It's proving a certain sect of the human race can force the world to adopt their belief whether imagined or real.
Stating the obvious about mammals, "nature designed male and female to need each other in order to reproduce and populate the earth."
Now what? Is this supposed to be the next step in evolution?
That's all well and good. Sexism is alive and well. Who cares? It is also perfectly natural for a person who is either gay or lesbian to be attracted to another person of the same sex. What can be any more fundamental than the right to marry the person you love?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
moors,Egyptians,why are blacks so desperate to ... 2 min chibi17 129
Dear Strong White Men, 2 min PolakPotrafi 24
Happy Birthday Trayvon Martin 3 min Raptor 75
black crime is getting out of control 6 min TheOriginalDoby 86
Forced Migration & Mental and Social Torture to... 13 min Trivial 2
I have white wife! 16 min NikoM93 138
36% of white families in slave states owned sla... (Jan '15) 16 min Raptor 24
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 21 min westafrican 130,592
The psycopathic personality of white "people" 1 hr PolakPotafi 30
More from around the web