Cultural Assimilation..Is it good or ...

Cultural Assimilation..Is it good or bad?

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Positive people.”

Since: Jun 08

north little rock arkansas

#1 Aug 4, 2009
I know that cultural assimilation is where one person gets absorbed, and accepts the another culture as one's own... People who were born in a foreign place, would easily adapt to that place as one's own, but people who grew up in a different culture have much harder time. Therefore, the younger a person is, they are more likely to become absorbed by the "new" culture. Assimilation may be voluntary (usually case with immigrants) or somewhat involuntary (when people are young). Forcing someone to assimilate is voluntary. It is very stressful for someone to lose their cultural identity, and they would usually fight it, if they can. Much like the Indians when Americans conquered. Check out your history textbook (things like Americanization, and British occupation of India, etc)
Honestly

Bronx, NY

#2 Aug 4, 2009
Denita,

Honestly it is bad, and it doesn't work very well. Notice that even in the animal kingdom polar bears stick with polar bears, black bears stick with black bears etc. Multiculturalism is a lie, and it should be stopped immediately. Ask yourself, as a black person would you want to live in a neighborhood predominately white? No, of course you wouldn't, you want to be around your own people. Are you a racist because of this? No, I don't believe you are, its just you are most comfortable around your own type of people.

If you look anywhere in the history of this planet, whenever people are forced into assimilation with one another, conflict arises and the groups must be sperated. Israel/Palestine,
Northern Ireland, Tutsis in Darfur. The list goes on and on.

“Reppin the 708”

Since: Nov 08

Harvey, IL

#3 Aug 4, 2009
Cultural Assimilation have bad effects. At one time many white Americans spoke their native languages like German, Italian, Gaelic, Polish, and others. Many got caught up in learning the English language and assimilate in mainstream America and refuse to let their kids talk in native tongue even in the house. As generation go by, most lost their language. Enslave Africans and Native Amerians went through forced assimilation and lost almost everything. I wonder what it would be like if Enslave Africans wasn't forced to loose the culture?

Right now Hispanics are going through the assimilation. Unlike earlier immigrants, Hispanics have it easier to keep their culture since 411 now have Press 2 for Spanish and Spanish subtitles can be found everywhere, especially, heavily Hispanic cities. I say groups like Mexicans have the hardest time to assimilate because of this.

“The King is Back!”

Level 4

Since: Apr 09

San Diego,California

#4 Aug 4, 2009
denita d wrote:
I know that cultural assimilation is where one person gets absorbed, and accepts the another culture as one's own... People who were born in a foreign place, would easily adapt to that place as one's own, but people who grew up in a different culture have much harder time. Therefore, the younger a person is, they are more likely to become absorbed by the "new" culture. Assimilation may be voluntary (usually case with immigrants) or somewhat involuntary (when people are young). Forcing someone to assimilate is voluntary. It is very stressful for someone to lose their cultural identity, and they would usually fight it, if they can. Much like the Indians when Americans conquered. Check out your history textbook (things like Americanization, and British occupation of India, etc)
Good topic,Denita.Many new immigrants(Irish,Germans,Polis h,etc.) come to America and adopt the cultural patterns of white people. They intermarry and live among and attend church with them. Cultural pluralists argue that such a process is the cultural genocide of minority groups. I contend that this assimilative pattern is not an option available to blacks. A racial group has the option of fighting to maintain its distinctive culture only if that group has the ability to become incorporated into the dominant society. If that group isn't allowed to assimilate into the dominant society,then they have no choice but to accept cultural pluralism.This is where I believe black people stand at this moment.Our racial identity is fixed therefore it is not possible to fully integrate into a white society. The American experience is different for white ethnic groups.They do not face the same historical discrimination that blacks do.

“Reppin the 708”

Since: Nov 08

Harvey, IL

#5 Aug 4, 2009
King Goku Xlll wrote:
Cultural Assimilation have bad effects. At one time many white Americans spoke their native languages like German, Italian, Gaelic, Polish, and others. Many got caught up in learning the English language and assimilate in mainstream America and refuse to let their kids talk in native tongue even in the house. As generation go by, most lost their language. Enslave Africans and Native Amerians went through forced assimilation and lost almost everything. I wonder what it would be like if Enslave Africans wasn't forced to loose the culture?
Right now Hispanics are going through the assimilation. Unlike earlier immigrants, Hispanics have it easier to keep their culture since 411 now have Press 2 for Spanish and Spanish subtitles can be found everywhere, especially, heavily Hispanic cities. I say groups like Mexicans have the hardest time to assimilate because of this.
I think language is important in maintaining a culture. Parents that still know their native tongue should pass it down to their children. If all Americans assimilated into the mainstream speak only English, then this country would be boring and uninteresting. I give Asians, Africans, Hispanics, and others that still know their language props for making this country even more of a melting pot. A Chinatown wouldn't feel so ethnic if everybody was patriotic Americans and spoke only English.

Unfortunately American blacks lost our languages hundreds of years ago.We know English. but due to forced segregation and discrimination through schools for hundred of years by whites, a lot of us have not fully assimilated into Mainstream America. That is why BET was created, Black America beauty pageants, and other things.
calvin wilson

Spencerville, OH

#6 Feb 10, 2014
hey guys im soo cool i think that culutrals are so cool hahahahahah
Stag_R_Lee

Scottsdale, AZ

#7 Feb 10, 2014
denita d wrote:
I know that cultural assimilation is where one person gets absorbed, and accepts the another culture as one's own... People who were born in a foreign place, would easily adapt to that place as one's own, but people who grew up in a different culture have much harder time. Therefore, the younger a person is, they are more likely to become absorbed by the "new" culture. Assimilation may be voluntary (usually case with immigrants) or somewhat involuntary (when people are young). Forcing someone to assimilate is voluntary. It is very stressful for someone to lose their cultural identity, and they would usually fight it, if they can. Much like the Indians when Americans conquered. Check out your history textbook (things like Americanization, and British occupation of India, etc)
You need to define "culture", or give a clearer idea of what you mean when you say 'culture" It would be difficult, if not impossible, for an oppressed group to not assimilate aspects of a dominant group. In this light, assimilation is a power function and has little or nothing to do with preference--insofar as a subjugated minority is concerned.
carmen

Memphis, TN

#8 Feb 10, 2014
Culture assimilation for the minority groups isn't good or bad, it is simply a MUST.
Stag_R_Lee

Scottsdale, AZ

#9 Feb 10, 2014
carmen wrote:
Culture assimilation for the minority groups isn't good or bad, it is simply a MUST.
Agreed and often those who fight back lose their reputation, finical security and/or their lives.. We are really talking about power.
lee chong

Ann Arbor, MI

#10 Jun 30, 2014
as a chinaman myself, i was born in america but my parents are obviously from china.

Regardless, I didnt' have a choice to come to this country. Chinese is a hard language, and I can speak it on a conversational level (but nothing hard), yet I can't really read/write it, though I tried learning it, but it just didn't stick because those characters were so archaic and meaningless to a person outside of china. Regardless,

I have thought about race and assimilation a lot. You could say I have "assimilated" because English is my best langauge and my only competent language in which I can read, write, speak, and understand, whereas for the chink language, i can only speak and understand a small amount.

Regardless, I've thought about going "back" to china before simply because I felt like I didn't fit in and that I was unassimilateable into the mainstream because I wasn't white, but when I went "back" to visit, I experienced some mad culture shock and realized how "american" I was.

So it really sucks to be me because I guess I really am a patriotic american like the rest of you and america is my country, yet I don't look like most americans, and I still am racially a chinaman, who knows some of the culture, yet lost a good amount of it to assimilation.

My parnets are full chinese and are "real chinese" and they attend chinese people gatherings full of other chinese, and here's the deal. The parents are often traditional, and chinese, and can't assimilate into america and speak incompetent english. Meanwhile, while the parents speak in chinese to the kids, the kids respond in English, and the kids don't even speak chinese. As what chinese people call an "ABC" or american born chinese, I am one of the few who can speak it, but even if I can speak it, it's very rudimentary compared to what the chinese people in or from china are speaking, as in I know enough to get by and I have an authentic sounding accent, as in I have good pronunciation, but I have a rather limited vocabulary limited only to what my parents have told me at home, but I stilll have it good because this means I haven't "completely assimilated"

but from my observations of other american born chinese as I see at the chinapeople gatherings, the kids are often (sadly) really assimilated, and only speak english, and the sad part is, white america doesn't accept them, yet they can't speak chinese or connect with chinapeople (even me myself, who can speak chinese, can't really connect with chinapeople) yet white america seems not to accept us, and we still are culturally different from white america even if we don't speak our mother tongue and act as "white" as possible ,which is like an oxymoron in itself.

I've given this a lot of thought and plan on pursuing a PhD in this and to study ethnic studies and asian american/asian diaspora studies and study assimilation at the PhD level because this has very deeply affected me and this is all that's on my mind all day, every day, because I'm a fluent english speaker who knows a little of the mother tongue, yet it saddens me to see how these other chinese kids look so chinese (i look chinese too) but many of these kids look so chinese, like way more chinese than me, and everybody calls them chinese, yet in reality, none of us are really "true chinese" in the eyes of the chinese people, yet white america seems to be at odds with us, and you will never see an asian as the president of this country.

White american men love our women ,but as for our men, we are emasculated by the media and we have no chance with white women, so it's sad because so many of us end up culturally "white" yet we still aren't, so assimilation is a good, yet bad thing. It's good in that you fit in and get a good job, but it's bad in that it can lead to an identity crises later on cuz you don't look white even if you pretty much are "white" and most of us never will become completely culturally white and are still, somewhat asian.
lee chong

Ann Arbor, MI

#11 Jun 30, 2014
also, with assimilation means changes to white culture
whites are becoming a minority in america and whites are so screwed and will have to "reverse assimilate" to all the minorities and their different cultures. do you agree?

and what are your thoughts on chinamen in america and on american born chinamens?
Logicalism

United States

#12 Jun 30, 2014
denita d wrote:
I know that cultural assimilation is where one person gets absorbed, and accepts the another culture as one's own... People who were born in a foreign place, would easily adapt to that place as one's own, but people who grew up in a different culture have much harder time. Therefore, the younger a person is, they are more likely to become absorbed by the "new" culture. Assimilation may be voluntary (usually case with immigrants) or somewhat involuntary (when people are young). Forcing someone to assimilate is voluntary. It is very stressful for someone to lose their cultural identity, and they would usually fight it, if they can. Much like the Indians when Americans conquered. Check out your history textbook (things like Americanization, and British occupation of India, etc)
It only proves that foreign "cultural assimilation" when someone has grown up in another is not natural, nor good.

The human mind takes in the environment around it for years while growing up in childhood and on into adulthood. It's meant to stay in that environment for the rest of its life because it knows that environment, thus it raises the chance of surviving in that environment. A foreign environment is one where the human mind must now take a long time to adjust and learn to survive in, which is uncomfortable (logically), since it's alien to the mind and not meant to be.

We're supposed to adapt to our local environment. We were never meant to be able to fly 4000-8000 miles away and into a totally different environment, all within a day. We were not even meant to have bikes or cars. We would only know the environment within reach of how long we could walk/run.

Typically, cultures within human running / walking distance will share pretty similar points of view and thus not be *totally alien* to the minds of either neighbor, therefore not a "shock" on the minds of either if/when they visit each other.

Anyway, knowing what we do today, with worldwide news and the Internet, we can prepare our minds for the different cultures we'll encounter when we move to or visit that other alien culture, but it'll still take time (a few years?) to fully catch on to how that alien culture works for the individual to fully understand and thus live in peace with said new culture.

That's what I strongly believe, anyhow. I think it's pretty obvious, but I could be wrong to a certain degree. I do know the mind can adapt to new environments, but that doesn't mean changing environments from one you adapted to into a new one is "good", unless it truly is totally for last resort survival (for whatever reason).
Logicalism

United States

#13 Jun 30, 2014
lee chong wrote:
as a chinaman myself, i was born in america but my parents are obviously from china.
Regardless, I didnt' have a choice to come to this country. Chinese is a hard language, and I can speak it on a conversational level (but nothing hard), yet I can't really read/write it, though I tried learning it, but it just didn't stick because those characters were so archaic and meaningless to a person outside of china. Regardless,
I have thought about race and assimilation a lot. You could say I have "assimilated" because English is my best langauge and my only competent language in which I can read, write, speak, and understand, whereas for the chink language, i can only speak and understand a small amount....
Sorry, I had to cut a lot out of your post since it was at the text limit.

Anyway, don't feel bad about looking so different from the typical 'white' American. At worst, you can always just move to a very 'multi-cultural' city, maybe Miami, San Francisco, NYC, etc.

I'd personally try Miami, just because I love the 'beach life', personally. ;)

I'm not one who looks like the typical 'white' American myself. I don't 'fit in', when it comes to physical appearance. I don't even care, really. I mean, I can tell when others (rarely do they show it openly) are effected by my appearance, but I just smile and laugh it off. No big deal, personally. They hear me speak fluent English with no foreign accent, then we're just "Americans" after that and I let them know that I knew they were kind of surprised. Take it lightly, do not be bogged down by anxiety concerning this stuff. Do not be a slave to negative emotions! Hold your head up high, straighten your back out, shoulders back, and walk with confidence, not caring what others think. That might take a bit, but eventually you'll get there, and it does feel good when 'you just don't give a s___ what anyone thinks. It really does change and people will see a different on your face and most likely have nothing else to do but show you respect.:-)
Logicalism

United States

#14 Jun 30, 2014
difference*
lee chong

Ann Arbor, MI

#15 Jun 30, 2014
yeah, and eric liu wrote about this in "the accidental asian"
the whole point of this thread was "is it good for 'colored' people to assimilate" since my family is immigrants and don't come from america and they can't really speak english

there's a lot of tension when your parnets raise you one way, then you go out into the real world, or america, and it's a whole 'nother way, and you have a lot of conflicts between your parents or "native" culture
and american culture in which you have "assimilated"

and even if I am "assimilated" i've been called "chink" and all sorts of stuff and am sometimes asked where I am "from" not as in where in the US, but where "before that"
because society sees me as a chinaman rather than as an clint eastwood type america white man, as uncle ruckus once stated.

Blacks arne't white ,but blacks have been here for so long so they are seen as "american" though some people don't really see them as such and they are seen as just "n words" to some, and in the same way, these same people think the "indian" or native american, the "chinaman" or yellow east asians, and the black african knee-gro are unassimilateable into white american society.

what do you think?

and what do you think about people of your ethnicity from your ancestral nation giving you all sorts of sh*t because you look like them yet you're not one of them? what's your take on that?
Logicalism

United States

#16 Jun 30, 2014
KING JABBAR wrote:
<quoted text>
Good topic,Denita.Many new immigrants(Irish,Germans,Polis h,etc.) come to America and adopt the cultural patterns of white people. They intermarry and live among and attend church with them. Cultural pluralists argue that such a process is the cultural genocide of minority groups. I contend that this assimilative pattern is not an option available to blacks. A racial group has the option of fighting to maintain its distinctive culture only if that group has the ability to become incorporated into the dominant society. If that group isn't allowed to assimilate into the dominant society,then they have no choice but to accept cultural pluralism.This is where I believe black people stand at this moment.Our racial identity is fixed therefore it is not possible to fully integrate into a white society. The American experience is different for white ethnic groups.They do not face the same historical discrimination that blacks do.
Self-fulfilled prophecy can keep groups separated. If you constantly assume that then you'll never bother attempting to fit in and always be different, then others will see that chip on the shoulder and will not like to be around you for this reason, then you'll assume (again) that it's *only* because of your genetic background, when in reality it has way more to do (though not always, true) with personality and how you act around others. If you show that you're confident and not easily offended when people make assumptions based on stereotypes, but rather laugh it off and show understanding for why they'd think this way, they will also let their guard down and be open to friendship in the end, if you're genuinely looking for that as well.

Take bigots off-guard by showing that stereotypes are not 100% fact. It's shock them and make them open their minds to becoming a nicer person the next time they encounter someone of different culture or 'color'.

I know the saying is always "Fight fire with fire" but I remember thinking that 'fighting fire with fire' will only make the destruction ultimate. I'd say it's better to fight fire with... water. Hard most times to do this, I know, I'm still trying, but it's a good goal to work toward.:)

Of course, I'm not 'perfect' or 'always humble / understanding' myself, but I'm growing a lot toward that goal every day. Learning and changing, one baby step at a time, for the better. I suggest we all try to do that, no matter how "racist" anyone out there might be. You'll see it's so much better to not have that constant anger, paranoia and chip on your shoulder. It's so much better to try and live in peace with others in the real world.
lee chong

Ann Arbor, MI

#17 Jun 30, 2014
that's true, and america is changing in that whites are becoming a minority, but does that mean we'll all become beige one day since I've seen a lot of race mixing go on (and you can't control it) and if you think about it, most white americans are "mixed" perhaps not racially but ethnically in that they're german, british, polish, italian, etc mixed together, but all you see is "white" as in most white americans don't hail from one single country but are a mixture of people from all sorts of european nations, but things are changing as most immigrnats now aren't from europe and are non white, and their children are marrying non immigrant americans, most of which are white right now, and they'll create a "beige" baby. Keep this up for a few more generations and we'll all be beige. So race wont' matter, will it? perhaps not because a lot of latin americans are "beige" but whites are still advantaged in those countries, and the asians there (there are some asians in south america) are not mainstream and are still called "chinese" or "korean" or "japanese" colloquially even if they're well integrated, assimilated members of south american society, so they're still racially different like the indians in the UK (indians from india, not native americans).
UTB

Atlanta, GA

#18 Jun 30, 2014
Honestly wrote:
Denita,
Honestly it is bad, and it doesn't work very well. Notice that even in the animal kingdom polar bears stick with polar bears, black bears stick with black bears etc. Multiculturalism is a lie, and it should be stopped immediately. Ask yourself, as a black person would you want to live in a neighborhood predominately white? No, of course you wouldn't, you want to be around your own people. Are you a racist because of this? No, I don't believe you are, its just you are most comfortable around your own type of people.
If you look anywhere in the history of this planet, whenever people are forced into assimilation with one another, conflict arises and the groups must be sperated. Israel/Palestine,
Northern Ireland, Tutsis in Darfur. The list goes on and on.
One note.
http://e360.yale.edu/digest/unusual_number_of...

"Two Canadian biologists have reported sighting a handful of grizzly bears and hybrid grizzly/polar bears at unusually high latitudes in the Arctic, indicating that the interbreeding of the two bear species is becoming more common as the climate warms and grizzlies venture farther north. The sightings of three grizzly bears and two hybrid bears, made in late April and May, represent an unprecedented cluster of these animals at such high latitudes. The biologists even took DNA samples from a grizzly bear at 74 degrees North latitude.

The report of the sightings comes on the heels of a recently published analysis of newly sequenced polar bear genomes, suggesting that climate change and genetic exchange with brown bears helped create the polar bear as we know it today. The genetic mixing that the Pennsylvania State and University of Buffalo analysis identified happening in the past — in which polar bears would interbreed with grizzly bears as the polar bears’ sea ice habitat shrunk — is now happening again, according to bear biologists. "
lee chong

Ann Arbor, MI

#19 Jun 30, 2014
check this out and you'll see it's filled with racism which shows even if an asian is "assimilated" there will still be people who hate them just because of thier skin color

http://www.topix.com/forum/asian-american
UTB

Atlanta, GA

#20 Jul 1, 2014
lee chong wrote:
check this out and you'll see it's filled with racism which shows even if an asian is "assimilated" there will still be people who hate them just because of thier skin color
http://www.topix.com/forum/asian-american
It appears that you , like most other folks,you blame everything on
"racism" , when in fact, there are other things that you don't know about.

"RACISM" is an overused term for people that don't agree with your ideas, hate you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Dudley 1,481,564
How come the Africans didn't invent anything mo... 4 min Who ya 7
Yes! Victorian Dresses "DID" COPY natural curva... 6 min Redefined 52
whitey is back in the white house 10 min PorchHonkey 12
News Do we need diversity requirements for Cabinet p... 13 min Ronald 6
News King's legacy celebrated as Trump, Lewis duel l... 14 min Aquarius-wy 229
Poll Will Donald Trump be the next President of the ... (Aug '15) 20 min PATRIOT DVC MOLON... 2,003
No more BM/BW couple? Is black love dead? 2 hr Dan snow 82
Eurocentric Myth Busters: Blacks Are Naturally ... 3 hr Snap 88
More from around the web