Is Affirmative Action a White Men created institution?

Posted in the African-American Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 89 Comments Last updated Mar 8, 2014
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Dento

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Mar 3, 2014
 

Judged:

2

1

1

To help minorities? Just wondering. If it is, why do you think the White Men gain in helping us out like that?

Since: Feb 09

My Own World

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Mar 3, 2014
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Well it was implemented and put into law by White people. I don't know why. They get nothing from it- except maybe some businesses owned by Whites use it as a scam to get tax money/tax breaks from the government somehow for hiring a minority or a WW instead of a WM. It is now discrimination against White men. I don't know of any other majority people in the world, at any time in history, who had such laws.
Coolmandingo82

Montgomery Village, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Mar 3, 2014
 

Judged:

6

6

5

Affirmative action has helped more white women than minorities.

Since: Feb 09

My Own World

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 3, 2014
 

Judged:

4

4

3

Well, I have learned something. Such a thing does apparently exist in various parts of the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmative_acti...

Since: Feb 09

My Own World

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Mar 3, 2014
 

Judged:

4

3

2

I think it made sense in the US because the minority in question was African Americans who were 12% of the population and had been here for hundreds of years- with a different history and treatment. However, with WW included to a degree, and now with continuing massive non-White immigration, it has become prejudice against WM (now about 30% of the population), especially young White men- many born a quarter of a century or more after the law.

Since: Feb 09

My Own World

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Mar 3, 2014
 

Judged:

4

4

3

Coolmandingo82 wrote:
Affirmative action has helped more white women than minorities.
I don't even want it used for me.
Cyrus

Manassas, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 3, 2014
 

Judged:

5

5

5

Dento wrote:
To help minorities? Just wondering. If it is, why do you think the White Men gain in helping us out like that?
"Us"?!! What do you mean "us", white boy?! Your people, particularly the females, benefit most from it.
Coolmandingo82

Montgomery Village, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Mar 3, 2014
 

Judged:

7

6

6

Universities uses to be ran by old good oleboys network
pre 1950 colleges big state and private ones..were 70% white male. Now its about 60% white women. And guess what the number % of minorities hasn't gone up. Take UCLA for example. They have more black men on scholarship playing football, basketball, sports. Than they have regular black male academic students. Numbers don't lie. But the number of black women in universities have gone up alot. Number of white males in universities have gone down alot. Affirmative action might as well be calls "THE WHITE WOMEN GET INTO COLLEGE EASIER LAW"

Since: Feb 09

My Own World

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Mar 3, 2014
 

Judged:

5

5

5

Coolmandingo82 wrote:
Universities uses to be ran by old good oleboys network
pre 1950 colleges big state and private ones..were 70% white male. Now its about 60% white women. And guess what the number % of minorities hasn't gone up. Take UCLA for example. They have more black men on scholarship playing football, basketball, sports. Than they have regular black male academic students. Numbers don't lie. But the number of black women in universities have gone up alot. Number of white males in universities have gone down alot. Affirmative action might as well be calls "THE WHITE WOMEN GET INTO COLLEGE EASIER LAW"
Well, I was born way after affirmative action laws. I go to a historically woman's university (of course it can't be THAT anymore) and about 70% of all who apply are accepted.

Why are you under this name?
Dento

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Mar 3, 2014
 
Cyrus wrote:
<quoted text>
"Us"?!! What do you mean "us", white boy?! Your people, particularly the females, benefit most from it.
Not really…

https://www.youtube.com/watch...
Dento

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 3, 2014
 
Black Women Ranked Most Educated in the USA

For the first time in the history of data collection by the National Center of Education Statistics as reported by the US Census, Black women have surpassed every other group in this country based upon race and gender. What does that mean? For the first time in our history, African-American women have surpassed all groups in college entrance based upon race and gender. That's right. African American women enroll in college more than Asian men, white women - you name the group, either race or gender, African American women are number one.

The percentage difference between African-American Women and the next closest group is striking and now marks the first time this group (or any other group) has surpassed Asian Males. Black Female College Enrollment at 9.7 percent is a full percentage point above the next group which represents an 11.5 percent enrollment rate above Asian Females. This statistic is equally impressive in that in one year, Black Females and Asian Females surpassed Asian Males as the leading group in College enrollment (U.S. Census Bureau, Current Population Survey: October 2010.

African-American Men have also realized significant gains over the 2000-2011 year periods. From the same data series in 2000, the Black Male College Enrollment rate was 5.2 percent and as of 2011, the rate was measured at 7.0 percent, representing a 34.6 percent increase. This is also a first as there is no longer a significant statistical difference between Black Male College Enrollment and White Female (7.1 percent.) From the Department of Education, iPEDS data reporting set in the academic year 2010-2011 there were 1,444,979 Black Males in post-secondary degree granting institutions (US Only/non-duplicated)
Dento

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Mar 3, 2014
 

Judged:

1

1

1

WW & WM are at the bottom… LOL

http://www.professu.com/black-women-are-ranke...
Coolmandingo82

Montgomery Village, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 3, 2014
 

Judged:

2

1

sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I was born way after affirmative action laws. I go to a historically woman's university (of course it can't be THAT anymore) and about 70% of all who apply are accepted.
Why are you under this name?
Trust me girly whether you know it or not. AFFIRMATIVE ACTION laws have helped you since you where born till now. YOU WHITE WOMEN ARE NOT SPECIAL YOUR JUST LET THE REST OF US YOU GET HAND OUTS. And you get A TON OF STUFF YOU DIDNT WORK FOR some people call that WELFARE!!!!!

Since: Feb 09

My Own World

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Mar 3, 2014
 

Judged:

4

3

3

Coolmandingo82 wrote:
<quoted text>
Trust me girly whether you know it or not. AFFIRMATIVE ACTION laws have helped you since you where born till now. YOU WHITE WOMEN ARE NOT SPECIAL YOUR JUST LET THE REST OF US YOU GET HAND OUTS. And you get A TON OF STUFF YOU DIDNT WORK FOR some people call that WELFARE!!!!!
No, it has not helped me up to now, and no I don't want handouts.

Since: Feb 09

My Own World

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Mar 3, 2014
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Dento wrote:
WW & WM are at the bottom… LOL
http://www.professu.com/black-women-are-ranke...
hmmmm.

Since: Feb 09

My Own World

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Mar 3, 2014
 

Judged:

4

4

4

Coolmandingo82 wrote:
<quoted text>
Trust me girly whether you know it or not. AFFIRMATIVE ACTION laws have helped you since you where born till now. YOU WHITE WOMEN ARE NOT SPECIAL YOUR JUST LET THE REST OF US YOU GET HAND OUTS. And you get A TON OF STUFF YOU DIDNT WORK FOR some people call that WELFARE!!!!!
Are you actually a White poster?
Coolmandingo82

Montgomery Village, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Mar 3, 2014
 

Judged:

3

2

1

sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you actually a White poster?
Am as white as your black.
NICE

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Mar 3, 2014
 

Judged:

1

1

1

"White students who failed to make the grade on all counts were nearly twice as prevalent on elite campuses as black and Hispanic students who received an admissions break based on their ethnicity or race."
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_op...

Blacks less likely than whites to get NIH grants, study finds
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health...

"Caucasian students receive more than three-quarters (76%) of all institutional merit-based scholarship and grant funding, even though they represent less than two-thirds (62%) of the student population. Caucasian students are 40% more likely to win private scholarships than minority students."
http://www.finaid.org/scholarships/20110902ra...

Black man without criminal record, and white felon – same chances for hire.
http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2008/08/09/study-b...

So, when & where exactly does Affirmative Action kick in for African-Americans?

Since: Feb 09

My Own World

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Mar 3, 2014
 

Judged:

4

4

4

NICE wrote:
"White students who failed to make the grade on all counts were nearly twice as prevalent on elite campuses as black and Hispanic students who received an admissions break based on their ethnicity or race."
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_op...
Blacks less likely than whites to get NIH grants, study finds
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health...
"Caucasian students receive more than three-quarters (76%) of all institutional merit-based scholarship and grant funding, even though they represent less than two-thirds (62%) of the student population. Caucasian students are 40% more likely to win private scholarships than minority students."
http://www.finaid.org/scholarships/20110902ra...
Black man without criminal record, and white felon – same chances for hire.
http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2008/08/09/study-b...
So, when & where exactly does Affirmative Action kick in for African-Americans?
I think the first link is talking about elite/rich White kids at the ivy league universities, many are probably related to generations of rich people who went to specific universities and contribute large amounts of money to them. Kennedy and Bush type people.

As far as merit grants and other scholarships, well, that's what I received. My family's income was too high for me to qualify for any low income grants. There are many private scholarships/product/corporati on scholarships but you have to write essays for most of them. I won quite a lot that way. There are MANY race specific scholarships- especially for Blacks and Hispanics, but none for "Whites". There are a very few that are for specific European American ethnicities such as Polish, Italian, etc.

SUPPOSEDLY, many universities will lower GPAs and grade average requirements for AAs and Hispanics for enrollment. I don't know if this is usual or how widespread it is, etc. Also, some standards for tests are lowered for certain jobs for women and minorities- even the military has lower physical standards for women.

Since: Feb 09

My Own World

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Mar 3, 2014
 

Judged:

5

5

5

Females in the Marine Corps currently are not required to do even a single pull-up, and a deadline mandating that by Jan. 1, 2014, they be able to do at least 3 pull-ups as part of their training has been delayed for at least a year, the Corps quietly announced on social media.

Unlike their female counterparts, male Marines have long been required to do at least 3 pullups as part of the Physical Fitness Test (PFT). That's the minimum requirement for males.

Female Marines are required, however, to do a flexed-arm hang from a bar, and their PFT score is calculated based upon how long they can properly hang on the bar.

Currently,“women aren’t able to make the minimum standard of three pull-ups,” Marine spokesman Capt. Eric Flanagan told CNSNews.com . Fifty-five percent of female recruits tested at the end of boot camp were unable to do three pull-ups (1 percent of male recruits also failed).

Marine officers told NPR off-the-record that, given the three-pull-ups rule, they were afraid of losing “not only new recruits, but also current female Marines who can’t pass the test.”

Female Marines will be allowed to do the flexed-arm hang instead of pull-ups this year. With the arm hang, a person grabs the bar with both hands and pulls their body up and holds their chin above the bar for as long as possible.

If a female Marine can hold that flexed-arm hang for 70 seconds, she scores 100 points; 60 seconds, 80 points; 30 seconds, 30 points -- see chart.

The deadline for women to meet the men’s minimum standard of three pull-ups has been postponed a year and “will continue to be assessed,” Capt. Flanagan told CNSNews.com . The Marines' Twitter announcement on the topic was posted on Nov. 20. But by Dec. 27, few media outlets had mentioned the news.

- See more at: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/barbara-bolan...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••