Former US drone pilot quits
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
African American 1972

Athens, GA

#1 May 21, 2013
Former US drone pilot quits, regretting bombing innocents, including children.

Whitey got some heart!

A former US assassination drone pilot says he quit the force after feeling “numb” about seeing a child and other civilians blown away in his remote bombing of targets in Afghanistan and realizing he has unconsciously developed a desire to kill.

Since leaving the controversial US targeted-killing program over two years ago, the young ex-terror drone operator, who was recruited by the military after graduating at the top of his class, has become homeless and detected with post-traumatic stress disorder, which is commonly associated with US soldiers in warfronts, according to US-based National Public Radio (NPR).

In a recent NPR interview, the former drone pilot, identified as 27-year-old Brandon Bryant, offered some graphic details about feeling troubled after witnessing the immediate outcome of his bombings in Afghanistan on video screens beside his control buttons inside a windowless trailer ‘somewhere in a western US state,’ from where he fired off the missiles mounted on the assassination drones flying some 10,000 miles (16,000 km) away.

Describing his “first shot” out in Afghanistan, Bryant said he was specifically “ordered” to target a group of suspected militants that where (idly) sitting on a hill, rather than another group of militants that were “firing at US soldiers” nearby.

“We fired the missile, and 1.2 seconds after the missile fires, it sonic booms. And so the sonic boom gets there before the missile does… and then the missile hits. And after the smoke clears, there’s a crater there. You can see body parts of the people,” he explained.“I watched him (one of the men) bleed out. The blood rapidly cooled to become the same color as the ground, because we were watching this in infrared.”

Bryant then remembered thinking regretfully about the bombing, believing that that the targeted men were just local folks “that had to protect themselves… and I think we jumped the gun.”

The ex-drone pilot then went on to describe his next bombing in Afghanistan in which, he says, he bombed a home of suspected militants but noticed a child running around the house (on his video monitor) just before the missile hit the target.

“We just aim at the corner of the building,” Bryant explained.“We’re going to fire, and we do. And there’s about six seconds left before the missile impacts, and something runs around the corner of the building. And it looked like a small person… It was a small, two-legged person. And the missile hits. There’s no sign of this person.”

Further elaborating on the aftermath of that bombing, he added,“So we lock our camera on there, and I ask the screener, who disseminates the video feed,… who was that thing that ran on the screen?... and comes back and says, oh, that was a dog.”

But Bryant insists,“It was a person. It was a small person. Like, there was no doubt in my mind that that was not a - an adult.”

“I felt really numb,” he further emphasized, recalling his thoughts after realizing he had blown away a small child with a missile he fired off of a US assassination drone flying over Afghanistan.“I didn’t feel distraught, like I felt my first shot. I felt numb because this was the reality of war… and innocence can die as well.”

According to the NPR reporter that interviewed Bryant, shortly after that bombing, he decided to leave the [targeted-killing] program, boasted by the Obama administration as its prime mean to root out suspected anti-US militants in Muslim nations.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/05/20/30442...
Kent

Mexico

#2 May 21, 2013
Horses for courses, some guys love IED work, most couldn't handle it, same for all specialties, maybe they just need some guy that likes playing video games who is detached from reality anyway, there's enough out there.

I'm sure he felt like shit, but he probably only remembers the missions where innocents may have been killed, in your post the only part I really felt was wrong was the fact that they didn't target those guys shooting at US troops, preferring the guys sitting on a hill. There again, how does the system operate? Usually you have someone screening info for target missions, and the shooting operative has no knowledge of what they are hitting, it is supposed to give them emotional detachment, which in part is what an army tries to do to its members.

He certainly isn't the first and won't be the last who got f ucked up by war, some people say this is a new phenomena, a guys remote from battle getting stress disorders, but really it isn't, it's just that in the past it was usually only the rear echelons who got the exposure to PTSD without being in the firing line, sitting miles away from direct danger may seem a soft option but if you are responsible for casualties and you made the plans that led to a 60% attrition rate, it's going to affect you someday.

Look at WWI, many of the European generals never got ear the front line and were always pushing the troops to do more. Then, on a few occasions some staffers got to the front and realized what a hell they were putting people through, still couldn't do anything about it, but they went back to their generals genuinely shocked.

War is hell, always will be, and I think, TBH, that since the politicians and the rich don't really get to hurt by it these days, they don't care where they send our boys, it's not their blood they're losing.

Level 8

Since: Aug 09

Saint Louis, MO

#3 May 21, 2013
Any decent of civilized human would oppose killing innocent women and children the way that Obama has been doing. But Obama is not civilized and is not decent. I guess he and Hitlery will have to start flying their own drones.
smh

Sunbury, OH

#4 May 21, 2013
What the savages do is shield themselves with children and locals.
smh

Sunbury, OH

#5 May 21, 2013
BTW... we have a volunteer Military. If people don't have the God given good sense to understand what our Armed Forces is for, then that's just too bad. It's just fine to take advantage of all the goodies and then cry to the liberals such as those ghouls at NPR.

If a person has no taste for war? Then perhaps the Military isn't the best place for a person.

It's not rocket science.

Level 8

Saint Louis, MO

#6 May 21, 2013
I do not get a dang how they do it. That pilot quit because he is decent and civilized, unlike you. It is wrong and uncivilized to deliberately kill women and children. Period.
KIP

San Francisco, CA

#7 May 21, 2013
Abdurratln wrote:
I do not get a dang how they do it. That pilot quit because he is decent and civilized, unlike you. It is wrong and uncivilized to deliberately kill women and children. Period.
Oh please!

Muslims make sport of killing as many people as they can and tell the suicide bombers they will be rewarded in heaven with virgins. Everyday throughout Islam on any place on earth Muslims make light of suicide and mass murder, then call it holy. When others seek to defend themselves from jihadist aggression the Muslims come crying how inhumane that is.

Assuming you are a Muslim, you should be the last person to come talking about what is civilized.
smh

Sunbury, OH

#8 May 21, 2013
Abdurratln wrote:
Perhaps, you should tell that to those who shield themselves with innocent women and children while they don't think twice about blowing innocent people up in crowded market places/or wherever there will be mass casualties.

Again, if a person doesn't have the stomach for what may be asked of them, then the Military is not the best place for them. War is h*ll and if a person doesn't understand that, then they shouldn't have joined up to begin with.

It's not exactly like we are drafting people against their will because our Military is voluntary.

Level 8

Saint Louis, MO

#9 May 21, 2013
Eff both you stupid cowards. Obviously this is about the people, the humans who have to do your stupid dirty work, the pilots. If you like killing Muslims so much, why don't you take YOUR sorry asss over there?
smh

Sunbury, OH

#10 May 21, 2013
This is what I call savage in that uncivilized is far too kind...

Islamic terrorists have carried out 20,912 deadly terror attacks since 9/11.(and counting)
smh

Sunbury, OH

#11 May 21, 2013
Abdurratln wrote:
Eff both you stupid cowards. Obviously this is about the people, the humans who have to do your stupid dirty work, the pilots. If you like killing Muslims so much, why don't you take YOUR sorry asss over there?
You do know what they do to their own people, don't you?

Because I do.

If you care so much, why don't you haul a** over there.

Do you need to be reminded as to what they will do to Christians, Jews, Apostates?

Maybe if they didn't use innocent children and women, and locals, to shield themselves with like the cowards that they are, there wouldn't be innocent lives lost. However, don't count on them doing that anytime soon.

“I can't stand obscurity”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

the nati Ohio

#12 May 21, 2013
I thought drones were unmanned
Anti-Fascism

United States

#13 May 21, 2013
There are individual savages on both sides - those with intelligence know this; those too brainwashed and 'dumbed' down by their domestic propagandist programs always think "their side" is "good" and supposedly never does any wrong; or makes pathetic excuses for the wrong that happened.
smh

Sunbury, OH

#14 May 21, 2013
Abdurratln wrote:
What exactly did that pilot expect when he joined up? It's war and if we had those in our Military, like the NPR parades around every opportunity they get, during WW2, we all would be speaking German.

I will say that if my stance is different in that it would be as brutal as possible in that the more brutal it is, the sooner it is over.

If you think that should the opportunity arise for those we are trying to remove wouldn't think twice about killing innocent women and children on our side, you better guess again.
smh

Sunbury, OH

#15 May 21, 2013
Anti-Fascism wrote:
There are individual savages on both sides - those with intelligence know this; those too brainwashed and 'dumbed' down by their domestic propagandist programs always think "their side" is "good" and supposedly never does any wrong; or makes pathetic excuses for the wrong that happened.
Tell that to the ultra-liberal media who delights in parading anyone and anybody who will make it out that we're the ones in the wrong when it was us who were attacked.

The main reason that this has dragged on for so long is because we've been trying reduce casualties. And we have seen just where it's gotten us.
Stag_R_Lee

Scottsdale, AZ

#16 May 21, 2013
How the Islamophobes deflect attention. It's mind boggling. The point of that article is not what a pilot did or did not do, neither was it about atrocities occurring on the "other" side.
The point is that your tax dollar are being used to kill innocent people. According to the report, for every enemy of this country, real or imagined, 50 people: men, women and children are being slaughtered.
There is no excuse. There can be no excuse. if you are the person who diverts, or dodges the basic issue, you are a psychotic. Let me repeat: if you can't see that innocent men, women and children are being slaughtered, I truly believe that you are insane.
smh

Sunbury, OH

#17 May 21, 2013
Car bomb outside Afghan clinic kills at least 35

"KABUL, Afghanistan (AP)— A suicide car bomber attacked a health clinic in eastern Afghanistan as women and children lined up for maternity care and vaccinations, killing at least 35 people in one of the deadliest attacks against civilians this year.

The sport utility vehicle smashed through a wall at the Akbarkhail Public Medical Center on Saturday before anyone could shoot the driver or blow out the tires, local officials said. The force of the blast caused the building to collapse.

Survivors frantically dug through the rubble with shovels and bare hands. At least 53 other people were wounded, Dr. Mohammad Zaref Nayebkhail, the provincial public health director, said.

“They were offering important services for the people. We had very good services and lots of patients. There were only 10 beds but lots of other services in that center. It’s why the casualties were so high,” he said.

Wary of being blamed for civilian casualties, the Taliban denied it was behind the bombing in Azra district in Logar province. Violence has been on the rise since the Islamic movement launched its spring offensive and promised retaliation for the death of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

“This attack was not done by our fighters,” Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid told the Associated Press in a telephone interview."

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jun/...
Follow us:@washtimes on Twitter

Yep, those "freedom fighters" were just trying to protect themselves, weren't they.

Cowards.
Stag_R_Lee

Scottsdale, AZ

#18 May 21, 2013
P.S.

Yes, it's an atrocity for the United States to murder innocent Palastineans and Afghans, but consider--please--that your local guard units and police forces are buying drones also. Your wife and kids might be "accidentally" targeted by some trigger happy cop. I'm not joking.
smh

Sunbury, OH

#19 May 21, 2013
Stag_R_Lee wrote:
How the Islamophobes deflect attention. It's mind boggling. The point of that article is not what a pilot did or did not do, neither was it about atrocities occurring on the "other" side.
The point is that your tax dollar are being used to kill innocent people. According to the report, for every enemy of this country, real or imagined, 50 people: men, women and children are being slaughtered.
There is no excuse. There can be no excuse. if you are the person who diverts, or dodges the basic issue, you are a psychotic. Let me repeat: if you can't see that innocent men, women and children are being slaughtered, I truly believe that you are insane.
And we don't know who was in that building. The person who was the target. The problem is that they dig in deep and use innocent children to shield themselves with. They could care less if those innocent people are killed or wounded. It's a tactic that they use. Not to mention that before any action is taken, they've probably been gathering information for some time. You can't fight a war if every time an innocent person is in the wrong place, at the wrong time. That's why it's called war h*ll because even under the best circumstances, there will be casualties.
Stag_R_Lee

Scottsdale, AZ

#20 May 21, 2013
smh wrote:
Car bomb outside Afghan clinic kills at least 35
"KABUL, Afghanistan (AP)— A suicide car bomber attacked a health clinic in eastern Afghanistan as women and children lined up for maternity care and vaccinations, killing at least 35 people in one of the deadliest attacks against civilians this year.
The sport utility vehicle smashed through a wall at the Akbarkhail Public Medical Center on Saturday before anyone could shoot the driver or blow out the tires, local officials said. The force of the blast caused the building to collapse.
Survivors frantically dug through the rubble with shovels and bare hands. At least 53 other people were wounded, Dr. Mohammad Zaref Nayebkhail, the provincial public health director, said.
“They were offering important services for the people. We had very good services and lots of patients. There were only 10 beds but lots of other services in that center. It’s why the casualties were so high,” he said.
Wary of being blamed for civilian casualties, the Taliban denied it was behind the bombing in Azra district in Logar province. Violence has been on the rise since the Islamic movement launched its spring offensive and promised retaliation for the death of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.
“This attack was not done by our fighters,” Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid told the Associated Press in a telephone interview."
Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jun/...
Follow us:@washtimes on Twitter
Yep, those "freedom fighters" were just trying to protect themselves, weren't they.
Cowards.
One of the flaws in the above comments is the ignorant tendency to present ALL Muslims as a united front against the U.S. This overgeneralization is going on in parallel fashion as the United States claims Turkey(Muslim), Yemen,(Muslims), Egypt (Muslim) Lebanon (Muslim), Saudia Arabia (Muslim,) Eritrea(Muslim), Jordan(Muslim), Libya (Muslim) as staunch allies of the United States of America. And today, believe it or not, we can include--as an ally-- al Qaeda(Muslim) Hence the logical question must be: If Muslims--at large--are all demons, then why does the U.S. collaborate with any of them, and if not then please explain how internal conflicts, Muslim vs. Muslim should be seen as different from conflicts say between Christian U.S. vs. Christian Italy, Christian Austria, Christian Germany?
This travesty in logic, as seen above, leads to half baked and unreliable conclusions. The true problem is not that those who throw this nonsense out are ignorant; the problem is that they think their readers are, and--of great importance--when it proves that the reader is not ignorant, that reader becomes an "enemy" allied with demonic Muslims and harborer of anti Americanism, anti Semitism and God knows what else.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dueling groups to rally at Confederate landmark 5 min Mite Be 622
Why do American Blacks think they're Egyptians? (Apr '12) 10 min dcool 3,482
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min RealDave 1,375,361
I need proof that the Ancient Egyptians Were No... (Oct '07) 12 min Moses 32,063
Donald Trump bring the racist out of white people 13 min Drilling for the ... 9
Islam an empire of faith (Oct '12) 14 min dcool 6,724
Van Sertima debunked! Afronazis Drowning in Tears! (May '15) 17 min dcool 1,326
HANNIBAL BARCA - of Carthage (North Africa) ... (Oct '07) 18 min Moses 3,657
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 26 min Moses 43,682
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 2 hr Moses 133,433
Why all black women must breed with white men! 5 hr Absimil 49
More from around the web